HTC 8x won't get Windows 10. [Speculative]

Mike deTomaso

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Worked for me too and rolled my Verizon 8X back to Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 (8.10.14203.306) with the Verizon aps. Wonderful news! Thank you, thank you Microsoft and Gabe.

Last edited:

Daniel B1

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Back this sucker up, for safe keeping!
HTC8X_ROM_Location.jpg

As you can see, WPRT creates a directory that is specific to your HTC 8X's model # and (original) carrier.
Mine is version PM233000 and the original carrier is Rogers.
The Rogers splash screen still comes up on boot. I've always wish it didn't, as the phone is unlocked and I use Virgin Mobile!

Last edited:

Joao Silva2

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I still get the error with update too. Asked @GabeAul about that as well. Hope he has a solution.

The update was downloaded, but could not be opened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's because you probably stood on that russian rom aswell...

I ask if someone here has the european version (unlocked) that can share... i would be gratefull. Just to try something out...

paulove

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
That would be the best! If someone here could upload the European Rom files it would be the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike deTomaso

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Whee.. Finally managed to get back to Windows 8.1.. No random reboots, and the resolutions looks greaet
Yes! Never thought I'd be so glad to see 8.1 Update 2 again.

Discovered an interesting thing though. Because I bought a new Lumia 735 while I was waiting for the 8X fix, the 8X was no longer on the cell network and it would not let me log on to a Microsoft account across the WiFi network. As soon as it was put back on the cell network the account logon worked.

After this experience I'll stay in the Windows 10 Insider program (desktop) but I'm skipping the Insider for Windows Phone!

Daniel B1

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
So I've got all my apps reinstalled on the freshly reinstalled WP8.1 Update. (except 1 "phantom" app that had no name & no info and would not install. I cancelled it to clear it).

Took a while to get Cortana working again - she's disabled by default in Canada as she's not yet available for "Language->English (Canada)".. we have to set "English (United States)" as first language, then download the US speech file, then reboot, then switch back to English (Canada) to get her to work.

Biggest concern: I've been experiencing frequent unexplained random reboots/shutdowns.
At first I thought it was because of automatic reboot after background updates had completed but after all the updates were done it was still doing it. I thought maybe my battery was toast, as it was rebooting every 5 minutes (or less).. usually while browsing the web, unplugged. I charged it to 100%, then unplugged, and to my surprise it was still running 40 minutes later. I thought the issue was finally resolved! But then "goodbye" suddenly appeared again! Battery was still at 80% after reboot, so battery is OK, that's not it. Seems to be far less frequent now.

Will have to keep my eye on it. Please post if you're having similar issues after restoring 8.1 via the WPRT recovery file.

Call me stupid but I was curious to see what would happen if I re-registered the Windows Insider app on 'fast ring'. I did that, then checked for updates, and it downloaded a large update but the install failed, giving me a:
Update status said:
The update was downloaded, but couldn't be opened (80188301)
I wonder, is it trying to install WP10TP again?

Mike deTomaso

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
So I've got all my apps reinstalled on the freshly reinstalled WP8.1 Update. (except 1 "phantom" app that had no name & no info and would not install. I cancelled it to clear it).

Took a while to get Cortana working again - she's disabled by default in Canada as she's not yet available for "Language->English (Canada)".. we have to set "English (United States)" as first language, then download the US speech file, then reboot, then switch back to English (Canada) to get her to work.

Biggest concern: I've been experiencing frequent unexplained random reboots/shutdowns.
At first I thought it was because of automatic reboot after background updates had completed but after all the updates were done it was still doing it. I thought maybe my battery was toast, as it was rebooting every 5 minutes (or less).. usually while browsing the web, unplugged. I charged it to 100%, then unplugged, and to my surprise it was still running 40 minutes later. I thought the issue was finally resolved! But then "goodbye" suddenly appeared again! Battery was still at 80% after reboot, so battery is OK, that's not it. Seems to be far less frequent now.

Will have to keep my eye on it. Please post if you're having similar issues after restoring 8.1 via the WPRT recovery file.

Call me stupid but I was curious to see what would happen if I re-registered the Windows Insider app on 'fast ring'. I did that, then checked for updates, and it downloaded a large update but the install failed, giving me a:I wonder, is it trying to install WP10TP again?

No reboots here yet and it has run quite a while getting everything setup and the aps downloaded. The file my Verizon phone used is 3030.0.52009.605.

Funny that you tried the Insider again! Not going to do that!

nokiabolt

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the same error (80188301) when attempting to go from Build 14203 to 14219 via Preview for Developers. Believe me, I'm not complaining, as I got the new firmware as of Feb 2015 via Verizon's update. Everything is smooth sailing.

Mike deTomaso

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
One small silver cloud in this mess is that my phone was stuck on firmware 3030.0.41301.605 apparently because it was on Developer Preview 8.1 Update when Verizon sent out firmware 3030.0.52009.605. The rollback from Windows 10 installed 3030.0.52009.605 along with

nokiabolt

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
It may be a crazy placebo effect, but I feel like 8.1.1 is more responsive with the new firmware as opposed to the old one I was stuck on for a while (41301).
And actually, Mike, this is the silver lining I've been waiting for all year with this 10 preview debacle. The fact I would get the new firmware.
Also, a previous poster mentioned they received 8.1 update 2 on Verizon with the WPRT restore. I just restored both of my 8xs on Verizon and I only got the 8.1 update 1 (latest Verizon update), not 2, for the record.

Peter McNeill1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Sigh... doesn't work for my Rogers phone. Keeps saying failed. Wonder if it's my version which is PM2330002. To make matters worse, my phone can no longer be turned off, just keeps rebooting into bootloader mode. Now what to do?

Mike deTomaso

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
It may be a crazy placebo effect, but I feel like 8.1.1 is more responsive with the new firmware as opposed to the old one I was stuck on for a while (41301).
And actually, Mike, this is the silver lining I've been waiting for all year with this 10 preview debacle. The fact I would get the new firmware.
Also, a previous poster mentioned they received 8.1 update 2 on Verizon with the WPRT restore. I just restored both of my 8xs on Verizon and I only got the 8.1 update 1 (latest Verizon update), not 2, for the record.

The Update 2 comment might have been mine and I changed it earlier today to say Update 1 when I realized I'd made a typo. It is interesting how all this has turned out in the end.

Daniel B1

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
My phone seems to have got past its rebooting issue. I've had it unplugged for the last 3 hours, browsing the internet with WIFI on, and took a few photos, and its been rock solid, and the battery is still at 83% left.

Family Room on my restored 8.1 show no family members, and they now can't be re-added now (well, since June when the app stopped being supported by Microsoft), so it's useless. I used it for sharing calendar appointments/activities with family members. I'll miss it! Does anyone remember what the app was that Microsoft recommended using as a replacement?

Also, I wanted to share that I can now finally reach the hard-reset Exclamation mark screen - that I was unable to reach last week while stuck in gears reboot loop. So, it was the messed up WP10TP install that prevented it from being accessed. That's not good.. the whole point of it is to be available when something goes wrong!

Sigh... doesn't work for my Rogers phone. Keeps saying failed. Wonder if it's my version which is PM2330002. To make matters worse, my phone can no longer be turned off, just keeps rebooting into bootloader mode. Now what to do?
As your phone keeps rebooting into bootloader mode, I wonder if one or both of your volume buttons is stuck?

One way to check is that when in bootloader mode, it will say press the camera button for 5 seconds to shut down - but if any other button is pressed, the countdown will get interrupted and it's go back to "5".

The only way I was able to shut down my phone when I was stuck in the gears reboot loop was by plugging in to the computer, going in bootloader mode, unplugging the USB, and then holding the camera button for 5 seconds to shut down. If I was plugged in, it would reboot. If I entered bootloader not plugged in, it would also reboot.

Also, with the "failed" message... I wonder if the file(s) downloaded successfully. See Post #262 - and check the PROGRAMDATA\HTC\PACKAGES\PRODUCTS directory to see if you've got a phone-specific subdirectory with .NBH files in it. If so, I believe you can save time reattempting the reinstall in WPRT by clicking the dots in the bottom right of the window, going into Settings and then changing the Packages location (toggle, then Browse).

Daniel B1

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Family Room on my restored 8.1 show no family members, and they now can't be re-added now (well, since June when the app stopped being supported by Microsoft), so it's useless. I used it for sharing calendar appointments/activities with family members. I'll miss it! Does anyone remember what the app was that Microsoft recommended using as a replacement?
Answering my own question, it was "GroupMe": https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...windows-phone-8%2F9wzdncrfjbd9&token=VD2ztkXY

samtronX

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Back this sucker up, for safe keeping!
View attachment 112932

As you can see, WPRT creates a directory that is specific to your HTC 8X's model # and (original) carrier.
Mine is version PM233000 and the original carrier is Rogers.
The Rogers splash screen still comes up on boot. I've always wish it didn't, as the phone is unlocked and I use Virgin Mobile!

Any of the PM23200 was restored with wprt?????

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion