HTC 8x won't get Windows 10. [Speculative]

Alex Jong

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Ok. Love the fact is back to normal. No issues so far. Not sure is it me or maybe because on the wp10 battery drain faster. But I noticed on standby mode it's seems to last longer

Daniel B1

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I posted a question on the Microsoft Insider forum about the update error 80188301 that I'm getting when I check for updates while enrolled in the Insider program (again) on 8.1. link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ck-to-81/4defe550-f44c-479a-bcc6-d45c1ffb9d59

Apparently the WP10TP update is getting downloaded but can't be installed, causing the error. I asked for confirmation that the update should really be blocked (from being found/downloaded), like it was originally meant to be.

A thought just occurred to me: some HTC 8X users now have WP10TP on their phones, because of the 'accident'. Will they continue to get Insider updates, or are they stuck on whatever version they're running until Microsoft decides to officially add the HTC 8X to the list of supported phones?

Mike deTomaso

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I posted a question on the Microsoft Insider forum about the update error 80188301 that I'm getting when I check for updates while enrolled in the Insider program (again) on 8.1. link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ck-to-81/4defe550-f44c-479a-bcc6-d45c1ffb9d59

Apparently the WP10TP update is getting downloaded but can't be installed, causing the error. I asked for confirmation that the update should really be blocked (from being found/downloaded), like it was originally meant to be.

A thought just occurred to me: some HTC 8X users now have WP10TP on their phones, because of the 'accident'. Will they continue to get Insider updates, or are they stuck on whatever version they're running until Microsoft decides to officially add the HTC 8X to the list of supported phones?

I've been a Windows 10 PC Insider from the beginning and I think Microsoft was very smart to have six million of us testing and giving input. Because of the Insider Program I believe Windows 10 was the most tested new OS release in computing history.

During the many months of loading new builds and testing I had a couple of times that the update would not complete correctly and I had to recover the PC using an ISO. That is OK on a PC, but as we have all experienced the Windows Phone can be very problematic when the update goes wrong and turns the phone into a vegetable. I'd like to help Microsoft with Windows Phone too, but it looks like the risk is pretty high.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Back this sucker up, for safe keeping!
View attachment 112932

As you can see, WPRT creates a directory that is specific to your HTC 8X's model # and (original) carrier.
Mine is version PM233000 and the original carrier is Rogers.
The Rogers splash screen still comes up on boot. I've always wish it didn't, as the phone is unlocked and I use Virgin Mobile!

Hi,

Could you please update the HTC 8X ROM to OneDrive so that we can use it to recover our phones.

Regards
Pradeep

Daniel B1

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
FYI: WPRT from now on is WDRT.
WDRT.png
WPRT_to_WDRT.png

Could you please update the HTC 8X ROM to OneDrive so that we can use it to recover our phones.
That won't work for 2 reasons:
1) the Recovery Files that downloaded for my phone the other day appear to be carrier/model specific (which will vary by region, obviously) - see the screenshot I posted a few days ago of the file folder. Consider that Microsoft made a file available to my phone that it did not make available to yours - surely for a good reason.
2) I had assumed the Recovery File(s) could be loaded in WPRT/WDRT by toggling the Settings->Packages->Use custom Paths->Browse option. When I have internet connected, it searches the server, and finds the recovery file. So to test the custom path setting I disconnected from the internet and tried it. However, WDRT reports an internet connection error and stops, with "try again" and "exit" options; it does not make use my preset local package. I don't know if that's a bug in the new WDRT, but WPRT informed me it would not run until upgraded to WDRT, so it should be the same for everyone.

nokiabolt

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I almost think we're getting that update error because I think Microsoft is blocking all updates for 8x on insider and preview for developers, since I cannot use the latter to get to build 14219

Daniel B1

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Joao, if I was you, I'd go to the Windows Insider forum and start a new thread titled something like "Still no HTC 8X WP8.1 recovery file for... (see inside)", and then in the post put your:
- HTC 8X model number (found in small print on the back of the phone near the speaker)
- original carrier
- country

It seems there are quite a few people like yourself who aren't finding a 8.1 recovery file available. The more people posting in one thread the details of what is still needed, the more likely Microsoft will be able to help.

Don't forget, update WPRT to WDRT and check the server again before posting!

paulove

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I just wish i could get back to my unbranded original rom. Now I'm stuck with that russian one and WPRT don't recognize any other...

What is the name of the file downloaded with the recovery tool?

I checked mine and I should be the correct one ending on 401 but still looks like the Russian Rom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joao Silva2

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
What is the name of the file downloaded with the recovery tool?

I checked mine and I should be the correct one ending on 401 but still looks like the Russian Rom.

Here it says that the software available at Microsoft servers is version 3030.0.52001.401
Don't know what that means but I get that russian rom with yandex.search app and update error when i try to recover my phone. My 8x is na unbranded one from UK.

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Here it says that the software available at Microsoft servers is version 3030.0.52001.401
Don't know what that means but I get that russian rom with yandex.search app and update error when i try to recover my phone. My 8x is na unbranded one from UK.

I think this tweet from Gabe Aul should give you an answer.

"@Pivotgeeks There are a number of specific 8X recovery images. We have most posted now but some are still coming in."

You should follow him, he is an interesting guy XD

Joao Silva2

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I think this tweet from Gabe Aul should give you an answer.

"@Pivotgeeks There are a number of specific 8X recovery images. We have most posted now but some are still coming in."

You should follow him, he is an interesting guy XD

The problem is that when I flashed my phone with that russian rom, it may changed some region or parameter and now the WPRT detects my phone as a russian one (or as having a russian rom) and trys to reflash the same rom that there is installed. It's not a "we don't have your rom yet" problem but a "we detect your rom is russian so we'll reflash it with that one" problem.

This is what i think...

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that when I flashed my phone with that russian rom, it may changed some region or parameter and now the WPRT detects my phone as a russian one (or as having a russian rom) and trys to reflash the same rom that there is installed. It's not a "we don't have your rom yet" problem but a "we detect your rom is russian so we'll reflash it with that one" problem.

This is what i think...
That's not the problem Microsoft cares to fix. You did that to yourself. The only solution for you is to find a native ROM for your phone and flash it manually.

I have AT&T HTC-8X and there is no recovery image yet last time I checked it this morning.

Joao Silva2

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
That's not the problem Microsoft cares to fix. You did that to yourself. The only solution for you is to find a native ROM for your phone and flash it manually.

I have AT&T HTC-8X and there is no recovery image yet last time I checked it this morning.

Yes, I did it. And I did it because I bought a phone I need and Microsoft made a mistake that put it unusable. I needed my phone asap and i did what microsoft toke days or even weeks to do. :)

There is no way known to flash it manualy to an European unbranded rom... no way I know and no ROM I know at least...

samtronX

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I did it. And I did it because I bought a phone I need and Microsoft made a mistake that put it unusable. I needed my phone asap and i did what microsoft toke days or even weeks to do. :)

There is no way known to flash it manualy to an European unbranded rom... no way I know and no ROM I know at least...

Wait for a few days. It doesn't matters if you have flashed with a custom rom. Wait for some time. Even My phone is still not on the list. What is yours model number??? Mine is PM23200

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise