02-07-2015 07:01 PM
107 12345
tools
    had a live chat with a support agent and it seems they're looking to point the finger at Microsoft. they claim that developer phones only receive updates via the develop program and that there's nothing they can do but contact microsoft.

i'm hoping he just doesn't know what he's talking about, becauss otherwise we're screwed.
    12-16-2014 03:31 PM
    There is hope. Looks like Spring is getting their own Lumia. Since I've waited this long for the HTC only to be dissapointed, at least we have another hope with the Lumia. I still would like this darn wifi issue to get fixed for us. So what's next going to Microsoft to see if they can release us the ROM for the firmware upgrade? Somebody has this and if I have to upload this baby myself I will do so.
    12-16-2014 04:30 PM
    It is great that Sprint is finally getting a Lumia, but the specs on the Lumia seem pretty meh, with half the RAM of the 8XT and no front facing camera. I hope this is a good sign Sprint might bring more Lumia phones onboard, especially with Windows 10 coming up on the horizon.
    cabbonizio likes this.
    12-16-2014 05:57 PM
    Honestly, I'm just done with both MS and HTC now. This is ridiculous. Windows 10 isn't going to change anything. MS will continue to produce low end budget phones and the other OEMs will keep giving terrible support.

edit: after contacting htc support again, i've been told that it's most likely that it hasn't been rolled out to us yet.
    Last edited by CowardlyLions; 12-16-2014 at 08:01 PM.
    12-16-2014 07:20 PM
    This is a bunch of arble-garble AND foo-foorah!
    stephenjxn likes this.
    12-16-2014 09:11 PM
    Has anyone asked at a Sprint Service Center if they can flash our phones there? I never even thought of that...I know with my Android phones, they can reload the firmware/OS on the spot..
    12-16-2014 09:27 PM
    was the post where the update was announced deleted? i had it saved to my offline list and it seems to have vanished.

anyways after hitting up some more support agents, i've heard a bunch of different answers. i don't think there's any way to get a straight answer out of HTC.
    Last edited by CowardlyLions; 12-18-2014 at 07:54 AM.
    12-18-2014 03:05 AM
    12-18-2014 10:17 AM
    Perhaps this will be of some help, at least I hope! So several months ago I attempted to install the developer preview on my Sprint 8XT. At the time the 8XT apparently couldn't support the developer preview so my phone updated a few times, and then when it finally rebooted it was still 8.0, and the phone couldn't find any new updates. Fast forward several months and last week the other two 8XT's on my family's Sprint plan (who didn't attempt to install the developer preview) updated to 8.1 but mine wouldn't update, it just couldn't find any new updates. Sprint kept giving me the same old bs, it's rolling out in waves, be patient, etc... and HTC would hardly even get involved. Well finally after talking to Microsoft today they agreed something seemed off about the whole situation so, they had me do a hard reset, and it worked! I now have 8.1 and everything is working great! I don't know if that will help anyone who did successfully install the developer preview but it did help me out! It's maybe at least something to try after backing up you WP.wp_ss_20141218_0013.jpg
    12-19-2014 12:13 AM
    Can you post what version of the Radio Software Version you have now? (Settings -> About -> More Info)

​Thanks!
    12-19-2014 10:17 AM
    Tried a hard reset...as I suspected...nothing. (I needed to do one anyway.) HTC has screwed this up big time.
    12-19-2014 11:19 AM
    Here's your answer to your problems!! http://forums.windowscentral.com/sho...d.php?t=329756

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    12-19-2014 12:45 PM
    It's the developer preview that is causing the problem!! The update is coming from HTC not MICROSOFT, that's why you can't install it when you have the developer preview. You have to reset the phone and check for the update and it should be there!!

12-19-2014 12:48 PM
    Hi, I followed the steps from the "Quick Fix for 8xt with Developer Preview" and it didn't work for me although I did not reset my phone. I didn't see in Aarons instructions to reset the phone but simply to uninstall and reinstall the Developer Preview. Can you please document the exact steps that you took to get this to work? Thanks so much for jumping in and giving us promising news. I will also make sure to thank Aaron as well.
    12-19-2014 12:54 PM
    1. "Completely" Uninstalled developer preview.
    2. Factory reset
    3. Re install developer preview
    4. Unchecked box to opt in for developer preview updates and clicked done.
    5. Turned on wifi and network, checked for updates and let the 1st install, then plugged in phone and installed 2nd update and set up phone normally and it work's. But remember it rolls out in "waves" or "batches" so you might not be in them yet also depends on region and phone Serial# ,Meid(HEX) or Meid(DEC) I believe? Hope this helps!!
    Last edited by ColbyJvonBrown; 12-19-2014 at 01:51 PM.
    12-19-2014 01:40 PM
    1. "Completely" Uninstalled developer preview.
    2. Factory reset
    3. Re install developer preview
    4. Unchecked box to opt in for developer preview updates and clicked done.
    5. Turned on wifi and network, checked for updates and let the 1st install, then plugged in phone and installed 2nd update and set up phone normally and it work's. But remember it rolls out in "waves" or "batches" so you might not be in them yet also depends on region and phone Serial# ,Meid(HEX) or Meid(DEC) I believe? Hope this helps!!
    Thanks for the quick reply I will give this a try and respond regardless of the outcome.

dorelse.....have you followed these steps also? Curious since I know you did a reset but was not successful.
    12-19-2014 02:00 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply I will give this a try and respond regardless of the outcome.

dorelse.....have you followed these steps also? Curious since I know you did a reset but was not successful.
    Yep...he's a '1' poster Einstein...steps 3-4 can't even be done...its already unchecked by default...so you can't Install the Prev For Dev and then 'unchecked box' (what?) to opt in? That would point you back to MS's servers for updates...

Plus, a hard reset would of course point updates to HTC...you shouldn't even need to install the "Deverloper" Preview (HA!)...it should look at HTC's servers for updates automatically...but, yes, we're all a bunch of cry babies...

added:

Its hard to take anyone seriously with an arrogant attitude like that..."duh & crying"...but the entire process of the Preview for Developer's is simple. Uncheck to 'Opt Out', points updates back to HTC...check for updates...we should see the HTC release at that point and upgrade.

I've gone one step farther by Opting Out, then a hard reset...should absolutely point to HTC at this point as the phone would have no knowledge of the MS preview servers...so that leaves 2 possibilities, the OS versions for those of us on the DP release are higher than the HTC OS release, so it doesn't see that we need it, or that we really aren't tagged to get it yet and will just have to wait.
    Last edited by dorelse; 12-19-2014 at 03:06 PM.
    BataBole likes this.
    12-19-2014 02:54 PM
    Yep...he's a '1' poster Einstein...steps 3-4 can't even be done...its already unchecked by default...so you can't Install the Prev For Dev and then 'unchecked box' (what?) to opt in? That would point you back to MS's servers for updates...

Plus, a hard reset would of course point updates to HTC...you shouldn't even need to install the "Deverloper" Preview (HA!)...it should look at HTC's servers for updates automatically...but, yes, we're all a bunch of cry babies...
    Yeah, I know his post was certainly *****-ish but at least he was trying to help (quote "duh"!). LOL

So I'm guessing that you have tried one, the other, a mixture of all the recommended steps and you can still not upgrade correct right? What to do next?? Are you and I the only chaps left in this mix???
    12-19-2014 03:04 PM
    I'm sure we're not...really the only bug for me is Wi-Fi, and with great 4G coverage in my area...I really don't have any need for the official release. I look at it this way...I've been using Cortana since April and will continue to do so. I'm certainly not 'crying'...duh!
    12-19-2014 03:15 PM
    I'm sure we're not...really the only bug for me is Wi-Fi, and with great 4G coverage in my area...I really don't have any need for the official release. I look at it this way...I've been using Cortana since April and will continue to do so. I'm certainly not 'crying'...duh!
    I have terrible service in my home area and would die to have wifi working again. in the interim I have been manually turning on wifi when i need to use my phone for a few minutes and then turning it back off before the screen gets turned off. prevents crashing and allows me to use secure wifi :/
    lotinib likes this.
    12-19-2014 04:32 PM
    FYI...I did try stopping by my Sprint Service Center...the tech owns an 8XT on DP. He can't get the official update either...and Sprint cannot flash our phones on the spot like they can with some Android phones...
    12-19-2014 05:36 PM
    Sorry. I was just trying to help, and I didn't mean for my comments to come out as snobby or sound like a a**!!πŸ˜…

12-19-2014 06:04 PM
    Sorry. I was just trying to help, and I didn't mean for my comments to come out as snobby or sound like a a**!!πŸ˜…

We all wanted it to be that simple!
    12-19-2014 08:02 PM
    Hey so after the update came through this is what I'm seeing on my end.
    Radio software version: 0.40.50.0918

Sorry the hard reset didn't work! I thought it might be worth a try since it worked for me immediately Have you live chatted with Microsoft? They were the only ones who seemed interested in my problems when I spoke with them. Maybe if enough people start coming in with the same issues they will help to get to the bottom of it! Even if the update isn't going through them. This whole situation is so lame, this should have never happened! We wait months and months and then this bs?! Give me a break!

Anyways, best of luck! Keep us updated!
    12-19-2014 08:27 PM
    Yeah, but it never is!! And I'm also waiting on my moto g. Its unbelievable!!!πŸ˜¬πŸ˜¬πŸ˜’πŸ˜’πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

12-19-2014 09:44 PM
107 12345