Quick Fix for 8xt Update to 8.1 with Deverloper Preview

aaron johnson12

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I didn?t even know that 8.1 was out for the 8xt, but learned this yesterday during a random search on the topic. I read on here that the update wasn?t working for users of the Developer Preview. I then read hundreds of comments from people crying about it. After confirming that the update did not work on Developer Preview, I decided to go to bed and worry about it in the morning. The fix is actually very simple.

1. Uninstall Developer Preview completely
2. Re-install the Developer Preview
3. Uncheck the box that opts you into the developer preview updates, and click done
4. Check for updates, you should pick up an update
5. Install the update, it is preparing you for 8.1
6. After installing the first update, check for another update
7. Install the second update, this is your 8.1 update. Be on Wi-Fi and have your phone plugged in, because it?s a whopper of a update.
8. Stop complaining about Microsoft and HTC screwing up your personal phone, because YOU agreed to install software that was not meant for consumer use.

Here?s the deal. When you install Developer Preview, your phone is redirected from the OEM update channels to Microsoft directly. The problem with the 8.1 update for 8xt was clearly on HTC?s side, not Microsoft?s, so you need to be getting your update through the OEM route if you want the proper firmware for it to work. Microsoft is not in the business of making sure that everybody else?s drivers and hardware are squared away. Obviously, the first update was to fix the problems that HTC was having. The second update was the actual 8.1 update. Therefore, if you?re waiting for Microsoft to push you the update on Developer Preview, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. They are not just going to push you the same update that broke your phone 6 months ago if they don?t know whether you have the updated firmware from HTC. Duh. They are also not going to check, because developer tools are generally designed to be general, and there is a decided loss of generality when they begin catering to individual handsets. People using dev tools are expected to know how to handle these things. Again, not Microsoft?s responsibility.

In the future, if you don?t know what you?re doing with developer tools, don?t install them. And if you need your phone for daily use as your personal phone, don?t install unstable preview updates to the OS either. Again, duh.

cabbonizio

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi Aaron, I tried these steps and it still wouldn't pick up the update but I saw a post from another member on the forums (ColbyJvonBrown) about having to do a reset on the phone. Should this step be included in the process just after uninstalling? Wanted to thank you for jumping in and helping us out I agree with everything you said we all took a risk to being part of the developer preview program. Appreciate your help nonetheless!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)