Who has a HTC 7 Pro ??

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I was woundering if anyone is using the HTC 7 Pro yet, I have been hearing that people do not like the build quality with the slider, and was also wounding about the proformance as well ...
Please let us know !!
Thank you

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
yea me too i wanna hear how the hardware feels and how the os feels and if theres a way to hack the device and give it expandable memory..

debu

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So, I've used the phone for a few hours now. Not long enough to be critical about it, but long enough to get some first impressions. To start with, the screen looks really nice and bright, it has awesome pixel density. Boots in around 30 seconds, quickly enter your windows live ID and ready to use. Coming from webOS (original palm pre with 2.1), I love the social integration into the OS, and it's a huge relief to finally have full document editing support, something which webOS has been unable to deliver yet. On playing the intro video I realized the phone has really big sound, I've counted 5 speakers on the phone already (One on both sides of the display, the left and the right of the keyboard and one behind). Normally I keep my ringer volume on full, I suspect I might be keeping the volume at around 60-75% on this phone. Replying to a few emails I'm already in love with the keyboard, it feels nice to have a dedicated row for numbers (my pre needed me to use a special function key to access numbers). The phone is a little taller then the Pre, but its thinner.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the phone.

onemadrssn

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
debu-- you just made me want this phone even more. i was just becoming content with the idea of waiting until the end of the month, and now i have again regressed to impatience.

by the way, whats that wallpaper on your pre? it looks funny.

mjevans

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I've counted 5 speakers on the phone already (One on both sides of the display, the left and the right of the keyboard and one behind).

These are not speakers. They just look like them. There's only one speaker and it's on the back next to the camera.

I've had mine a couple of weeks now and I'm happy with it. Well, I would be because the phone it has just replaced is a Sony Z600 which I've had for 7 years [still working and using its original battery!]

The OS has some shortcomings, most of which have been documented elsewhere and including this forum. They'll be fixed eventually. My main gripes are Marketplace crashing constantly [widespread problem and in hand for the upcoming update]. And after viewing an app in Marketplace, very frequently on returning to Marketplace it returns not to where you had scrolled to, but back to the beginning. It's so annoying.

The phone itself. Lovely screen and keyboard, but then again I have nothing else to compare them to.

As one who is paranoid about dropping phones, I'm disappointed to find that there's no slot to put a lanyard through and attach to my belt like my previous one. And extensive searching has not yet produced a case for it that holds the phone and allows it to be used and the keyboard extended. I'm sure one will appear at some time. I've had a couple of standard cases advertised as 7 Pro but they have had to be returned as were too small. Dealers don't appear to have got their act together yet.

I've come across one site [where I bought mine] stating it takes a micro SD card. It gives the impression that it has a slot and is removable. The 8gb memory is built in, not replaceable, and no slot.

I'm not over impressed with the photos. But then I have some seriously expensive proper cameras and most likely I will always be derogatory towards camera phones.

Yes, I'm happy with it. But then again I have a friend who's over the moon with her Desire, and a couple of others with their iphones. This will do for me.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
another question does the slider feel solid? and does the processor feel sluggish with the os?

and @ mjevans are u saying its doesn't compete with your friends iphones and desire? or are u just not into it your phone as much as them?...

debu

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
by the way, whats that wallpaper on your pre? it looks funny.
@onemadrssn: I think so too. Its my favorite Baby Vader wallpaper.

@DontHate707: No way! The OS is super smooth (as yet). Apps start almost instantaneously, super smooth scrolling and pinch-to-zoom. I'm loving it so far. I tried to make a video showing how smooth the device is, but my camcorders battery ran out half way through. I may make one soon and post it.

As for the slider, the mechanism is unlike anything I've seen so far. Once locked in place either open or closed it is quite solid. If you try to wiggle it during the slider transition it appears to have some room to wiggle.

mjevans

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
another question does the slider feel solid? and does the processor feel sluggish with the os?

and @ mjevans are u saying its doesn't compete with your friends iphones and desire? or are u just not into it your phone as much as them?...

The slider feels like a good quality assembly. No complaints. As for competing with the iphone and desire, I've no real personal experience of them and have only looked at my friend's briefly for a few minutes. They are happy with their decisions and I'm happy with mine. They are also impressed with mine though.

Has anyone found a decent case for this phone yet?

I haven't. I'm looking for one that holds the phone and allows the keyboard to slide out. I've trawled ebay regularly, Amazon, Ebuyer, Expansys and one or two unmemorable sites and there just don't seem to be any out yet. At the moment I'm using just a simple leather sleeve type case with a strap that pulls the phone out. It's getting me by for now until I find my ideal case.

Forgive me if there are any more questions that go unanswered. I'm shortly [ 2 hours ] to depart for a holiday [vacation to some of you] and won't be back until the end of the month now.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
well thats good news a precentral user told me that the slider was of poor quality and i doubted it becuz its htc and i feel anything would be better then the oreo effect of a pre

Flying Kiwi

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I've recently obtained a refurb 7 Pro and I'm happy with the device itself. I obtained a 'supposedly genuine' HTC PO S540 pouch for it but the ribbon won't let the phone go all the way in and the top protrudes slightly (meaning the end edges and power button are unprotected). Have any of you with the 7 Pro experinced this and if so, what case do you recommend. I'd ideally like something similar to my old HTC TyTN II horizontal pouch case but haven't found anything here in the UK like that. Maybe it's just a manufacturing defect with my PO S540 pouch and another should fit fine?

p.s. Why can I not select my new phone in my profile here WP Central - it's NOT an Arrive but a genuine HTC 7 Pro?
p.p.s. Never mind about the pouch. I bought another from a more reputable supplier and these issues are now sorted. The other one went back for a refund.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786