Switching from Android to Win7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom98

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
@gibbyhome

Ya, not sure why I had that issue. During original setup I entered all information and it was accepted. I then noticed afew hours later when I was in settings that an Attention notification was listed for wrong password to Windows Live. I entered multiple times, kept getting the error. Finally, with the suggestion of another user in this forum (coasterfreak212...Thank You) I reluctantly changed all passwords and issue was resolved.
I do have one suggesting for MS. In Zune, with an active Zune Pass subscription the phone should not display prices for songs. I understand you can press play or hold down on the song to download. Just a recommendation. Otherwise smooth sailing, love the phone and OS. I find myself constantly borrowing my wife's Arrive and am looking forward to a non-slider 4G WP7 device to replace my Droid Evo.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Actually ya webOS pretty much shows all those missed notifications you stated up there just by pressing the power button. I probably will return the device also. The Nexus S is looking pretty nice and should release soon. It doesn't have a LED notification light but it does have a app for it called NO LED and it shows missed texts,emails,calls,voicemails ect... Just wont be quite as pretty notification wise as webOS but I will live. I just wanted to give this WP7 a chance but after a week I dunno there is just too many little things bugging me. If you read my other posts I praise this OS on a lot of things but IMO the negatives are over towering the positives for me.

ok this thread is called switching from Android to wp7 not switching from webPOS to wp7 then to Android,I hope ull be happy with all the viruses and battery sucking apps on that OS. And u can also pack ur bags and GTFO of here and head over to either precentral or Android central we are done with ur nonsense here because the things u are complaining about aren't even that bad.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree,
they are not clear with the zune pass we should never see the buy now come up
I do admit I love the zune pass and I do use the zune movies on my xbox which is very kewl

@gibbyhome

Ya, not sure why I had that issue. During original setup I entered all information and it was accepted. I then noticed afew hours later when I was in settings that an Attention notification was listed for wrong password to Windows Live. I entered multiple times, kept getting the error. Finally, with the suggestion of another user in this forum (coasterfreak212...Thank You) I reluctantly changed all passwords and issue was resolved.
I do have one suggesting for MS. In Zune, with an active Zune Pass subscription the phone should not display prices for songs. I understand you can press play or hold down on the song to download. Just a recommendation. Otherwise smooth sailing, love the phone and OS. I find myself constantly borrowing my wife's Arrive and am looking forward to a non-slider 4G WP7 device to replace my Droid Evo.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree,
they are not clear with the zune pass we should never see the buy now come up
I do admit I love the zune pass and I do use the zune movies on my xbox which is very kewl

@gibbyhome

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
ok this thread is called switching from Android to wp7 not switching from webPOS to wp7 then to Android,I hope ull be happy with all the viruses and battery sucking apps on that OS. And u can also pack ur bags and GTFO of here and head over to either precentral or Android central we are done with ur nonsense here because the things u are complaining about aren't even that bad.

You GTFO a$$hole. You think forums are all suppose to be jolly and happy and talk all PRAISE about all devices?? NO! I have just as much right to come in here and state true facts as much as anyone else so lay the **ck off. You must work for Microsoft because you get so offended by this OS's mishaps. People complain at all forums about their devices and OS's including palm forums,blackberry forums,Iphone forums, ect ect so don't have a ****ing COW when its your own beloved OS. Its not perfect so get over it and accept it. I'm not packing any bags because I am not leaving a forum just because I got rid of the phone. I see plenty of people at Precentral who have other phone OS's and post all the time on there so its not against the law for me to post on here without owning a WP7 phone! Lets see how long now it takes 4u to *itch about something else!

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Guys: here's your warning. Either bring the tone down a notch and stop telling each other to leave, or the thread will be closed.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Let's see how long now it takes 4u to *itch about something else!

u should be saying this about urself. I'm just under the impression that u will never be satisfied if little things are bothering u. I honestly can't wait to see how many things u will complain about when u get the nexus S and I will even follow u over to AC to see it. Certainly will be funny.

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
u should be saying this about urself. I'm just under the impression that u will never be satisfied if little things are bothering u. I honestly can't wait to see how many things u will complain about when u get the nexus S and I will even follow u over to AC to see it. Certainly will be funny.

Boy you sure listen to the admin well... I hope you get banned...

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I did listen I was actually much nicer than I would've been. Stop ur reckless trolling and complaining. Just stick it out the small things aren't that annoying and will be fixed soon.

If anyone is trolling or complaining it's you. You are just set out to say anything opposite of what I say. Me stating a few mishaps is not trolling when I like the freaking OS and hope it prevails ahead of IOS someday. So like I said lay off and mind your own business!

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
When a member of staff asks for the tone of the thread to be cooled slightly, it's pretty much a drawn line in the sand, you both are still passed that line. Please, take your differences elsewhere, or button up completely in this thread. You both have the right for an opinion and the right to be registered and active in these forums, but trolling and foul language is prohibited.

As previously requested, back to discussion or this thread will be locked.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I was excited when I saw that this thread was three pages long... but it's just three pages of trolling and flaming. So I'll help get back on topic:

I got my Arrive on Saturday morning. I listed my Evo on ebay yesterday. I'm now WP7-only at least until the Evo 3D is released. That's my deadline: I'm giving this phone until June to see if I can live with it. If not, back to Android.

But two days in: I love this phone, and I love WP7. I thought I'd have a long list of complaints by now, but really I only have two:
  1. Bing Maps doesn't hold a candle to Google Maps
  2. Flory is buggy and won't stay active under the lockscreen

I feel bad trashing Flory, since it is free, but get your act together, Flory-developer. Make it work and charge $5 and I'll buy it. I need gTalk on my phone and I'll pay to make it happen.

I also miss Google Latitude.

OTHERWISE, I love this device. Everything is so easy to use, I love the interface, Netflix works great even over 3G, the speaker sounds AWESOME, I love the keyboard (even though many parts of the OS do not change to landscape view). I'm happy with the switch.

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I think the biggest difference between the two OSes is that it harpers back to the the cathedral and the bazaar connection.

The Cathedral and the Bazaar

The cathedral and the bazaar is basically the concept that windows is a grand cathedral that's incredibly impressive, filled with art and governing prospects, and that linux (open source in general actually) is a bazaar, an open market with lots of things going on and lots of people doing things.

The major differences is the terms of building. The cathedral is built slow and takes a long time, but once it's finished it's a fantastic structure. The bazaar on the other hand isn't built up so slowly, it pretty much assimilates from various other people and is malleable and adaptable.

One isn't better than the other, they are just two completely different things. Currently, Android is a gigantic bazaar, where products have many identities and there are many things spread out,not much chance of a clear and consistent product. Where as Windows Phone 7 is like the Crystal Cathedral. Sure, it's a really nice Cathedral, but at the end of the day it's just a tourist attraction that's close to Disneyland, not serving a greater purpose to the needs of all people until it starts building upon itself.

It's up to us (the consumers) to demand changes in the cathedral and the bazaar. :D

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I was excited when I saw that this thread was three pages long... but it's just three pages of trolling and flaming. So I'll help get back on topic:

I got my Arrive on Saturday morning. I listed my Evo on ebay yesterday. I'm now WP7-only at least until the Evo 3D is released. That's my deadline: I'm giving this phone until June to see if I can live with it. If not, back to Android.

But two days in: I love this phone, and I love WP7. I thought I'd have a long list of complaints by now, but really I only have two:
  1. Bing Maps doesn't hold a candle to Google Maps
  2. Flory is buggy and won't stay active under the lockscreen

I feel bad trashing Flory, since it is free, but get your act together, Flory-developer. Make it work and charge $5 and I'll buy it. I need gTalk on my phone and I'll pay to make it happen.

I also miss Google Latitude.

OTHERWISE, I love this device. Everything is so easy to use, I love the interface, Netflix works great even over 3G, the speaker sounds AWESOME, I love the keyboard (even though many parts of the OS do not change to landscape view). I'm happy with the switch.

many parts? More like 1 or 2. Everything that needs to be in landscape at the moment will switch into landscape. The on screen keyboard is accurate enough on its own to rarely even have to need to slide it out. Its much better than the normal Android keyboard I can say that much. And once bing on wp7 matures it will be better than Google they just need tbt directons and public transit directions (tho there are 3rd party apps that add this functionality ). Then u won't have a reason to switch back to the OS that's not original and built with stolen code.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
many parts? More like 1 or 2. Everything that needs to be in landscape at the moment will switch into landscape. The on screen keyboard is accurate enough on its own to rarely even have to need to slide it out. Its much better than the normal Android keyboard I can say that much. And once bing on wp7 matures it will be better than Google they just need tbt directons and public transit directions (tho there are 3rd party apps that add this functionality ). Then u won't have a reason to switch back to the OS that's not original and built with stolen code.

Yikes, what a "friendly" reply. I guess everyone in this thread is a little on edge, so I'll just address the content of it and not the tone. I do think you're right, that it is only one or two parts of the OS that isn't landscape optimized:

1. People Hub: does not switch to landscape when searching using keyboard.
  2. Maps: does not switch to landscape at all, much less for text input.

The rest of the examples I was thinking of were from third-party apps, and even then there hasn't been many instances where I've used the physical keyboard while the device was still in portrait mode.

As to your suggestion to use the on-screen keyboard: I do use it sometimes for very quick text entry, but I'd rather use the hardware keyboard for most text input. That's really why I got this device - in the past, I've owned the 6700, Mogul, and Touch Pro and I really like the idea of the hardware landscape keyboard. So while I may "rarely need to slide it out," my personal preference is to slide it out often. It's a great keyboard (although I really find myself missing the "tab" key - I've reached for it many times when trying to input stuff like logins and passwords) and I want to use it as much as possible.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Yikes, what a "friendly" reply. I guess everyone in this thread is a little on edge, so I'll just address the content of it and not the tone. I do think you're right, that it is only one or two parts of the OS that isn't landscape optimized:

1. People Hub: does not switch to landscape when searching using keyboard.
  2. Maps: does not switch to landscape at all, much less for text input.

The rest of the examples I was thinking of were from third-party apps, and even then there hasn't been many instances where I've used the physical keyboard while the device was still in portrait mode.

As to your suggestion to use the on-screen keyboard: I do use it sometimes for very quick text entry, but I'd rather use the hardware keyboard for most text input. That's really why I got this device - in the past, I've owned the 6700, Mogul, and Touch Pro and I really like the idea of the hardware landscape keyboard. So while I may "rarely need to slide it out," my personal preference is to slide it out often. It's a great keyboard (although I really find myself missing the "tab" key - I've reached for it many times when trying to input stuff like logins and passwords) and I want to use it as much as possible.

sorry my downtalking of Android offended u. This being WPcentral I should be able to downtalk Android or webPOS as much and however I want without being reproached I got banned from PPCGeeks for doing this.

Last edited:

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
sorry my downtalking of Android offended u. This being WPcentral I should be able to downtalk Android or webPOS as much and however I want without being reproached I got banned from PPCGeeks for doing this.

Actually no when you have no logic behind calling webos a POS you should just keep your mouth shut. When people at Precentral or AndroidCentral bash on other OS's they atleast do it with factual information to back it up. You just call it webPOS with no reasoning. There was a bidding war to acquire webOS for a reason and HP won. Now whether webOS succeeds or not is another story because HP does not have the resources like Microsoft does. Just like Palm a small company with a great OS with no leverage. I personally hope webOS and WP7 succeed to go along with Android and IOS but I guess well just have to wait and see what happens!

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Actually no when you have no logic behind calling webos a POS you should just keep your mouth shut. When people at Precentral or AndroidCentral bash on other OS's they atleast do it with factual information to back it up. You just call it webPOS with no reasoning. There was a bidding war to acquire webOS for a reason and HP won. Now whether webOS succeeds or not is another story because HP does not have the resources like Microsoft does. Just like Palm a small company with a great OS with no leverage. I personally hope webOS and WP7 succeed to go along with Android and IOS but I guess well just have to wait and see what happens!

oh please I've seen plenty of WP7 bashing without facts. At least I'm not goin into those other sites to bash as I have more class than that but once again I should be able to do it here without being reproached and u just reproached me. I'm sorry that ur so into the webPOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05