Hey-March 20th tomorrow..are we still excited?

cdub66

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
..or have we kinda stopped caring.

I've lost track of what update/s may be coming and when, but Mar.20 sticks in my mind for some reason. I'm still looking forward to anything that might happen, although with considerably less excitement than I was.

How about everyone else? :)

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I kind of stopped caring. I was super excited for the pre-NoDo update and my phone never saw it. My mentality is I'll get it when I get it. Hopefully this month :p.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Although I did get the pre update on the original day it was released, i'm the same, the update will arrive when it arrives, I am no longer excited about when it's arriving, it will be here soon, that'll do for me.

I still absolutely love WP7 on my Omnia 7, update or no update.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Still loving my Surround. Just won't recommend it till some of these little glitches are addressed, hopefully with the firmware update that I expect to get with NoDo someday.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Ivan006

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I've also stop caring. I received the pre-update, but I can't be bothered by MS announcements. I'll get it when I get it. I can already live without copy & paste. What I really want is the multi-tasking feature.

Sent from my LG Quantum using Board Express

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
As I begin to use more features (OneNote, Word, etc) I know how useful copy and paste and multitasking would be, and so in that regards I'm becoming impatient. And it's even harder to wait knowing that the update is right around the corner. But overall I can manage to hold out without throwing a fit.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Even if it's not true multitasking, the multitasking in Nodo will suffice. Unless you're just trying to troll, then I will find better things to do with my time.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Can't do true multi-tasking without two cores on your processor anyway so I'm more interested to see when the dual-cores hit the shelves packing WP7. As for the NoDo update, after what happened to my poor Omnia during the pre-update, I'm content with waiting. The device and OS works fine for me for the time being and is stable enough.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Even if it's not true multitasking, the multitasking in Nodo will suffice. Unless you're just trying to troll, then I will find better things to do with my time.

NoDo contains zero multitasking. The update that has multitasking is supposedly named Mango, and will be "released" fall of 2011

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
NoDo contains zero multitasking. The update that has multitasking is supposedly named Mango, and will be "released" fall of 2011

I swear I saw a nodo video that was showcasing copy/paste and multitasking. But that was a while ago and I don't remember where. If I'm mistaken then that's my fault.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Unless Microsoft has more "freeze state" in Apps...I wasn't aware anything was really changing.

Also...I just sort of realized......this phone's release has ended up beating NoDo....which kinda sucks.

Hopefully Microsoft is planning on keeping all of the phones pretty uniformly in sync sooner than later.

Last edited:

Verizon Hopeful

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Can't do true multi-tasking without two cores on your processor anyway so I'm more interested to see when the dual-cores hit the shelves packing WP7.

I think most people, in the near term, will be satisfied with multi-tasking of the variety in which the OS allows background apps to use the processor (for downloading, playing music, etc.) when the foreground app doesn't need every processing cycle. After all, that's the type of multi-tasking folks have had on single processor computers (workstations, Apple computers, Microsoft Windows computers, etc.) for years.

Clearly, the multi-tasking story can only get better with multiple cores. I too am waiting for a Windows Phone device to arrive with dual-cores. At the rate things are going, however, I've been conditioned to have low expectations. As such, I really don't expect such a device until mid to late 2012 (WP9 ??) at the absolute earliest. If it happens before that, it will be a pleasant surprise.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
just picked up the HTC Arrive for my wife with the NoDo other than copy and paste I don't really see much of a difference .. everythink looks the same
the phone is really nice the screen is small but its not as heavy as I thought it would be
nice phone

Verizon Hopeful

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I too am waiting for a Windows Phone device to arrive with dual-cores. ... I really don't expect such a device until mid to late 2012 (WP9 ??) at the absolute earliest. If it happens before that, it will be a pleasant surprise.

I know, I know, it might be considered self-indulgent to quote myself, but I was thinking about what I wrote...

Maybe Nokia can surprise me. Putting dual-core processors in their upcoming phones (and making sure to release one of them on Verizon) would make people sit up and take notice. Also, it would keep their devices from being "me too" phones, which so much of the current crop of WP7 phones seem to be.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
can someone explain this to me? i've had single core computers and single core blackberrys with true multitasking for years now, why does WP7 need two cores?

He's talking at a very basic hardware level, you can't truly do two things at once (by that I mean in the same exact instance in time) without two logical processors. Multitasking in the way we're all used to talking about it is achieved through multi-threading and the use of the processor's cache to queue operations coming from different programs/routines

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077