03-20-2011 06:32 PM
26 12
tools
    ..or have we kinda stopped caring.

I've lost track of what update/s may be coming and when, but Mar.20 sticks in my mind for some reason. I'm still looking forward to anything that might happen, although with considerably less excitement than I was.

How about everyone else? :)
    03-19-2011 08:31 AM
    Just a phone launch on Sprint. If you are looking for no-do updates to roll I wouldnt count on it.
    03-19-2011 08:33 AM
    No faith!
    03-19-2011 08:53 AM
    I kind of stopped caring. I was super excited for the pre-NoDo update and my phone never saw it. My mentality is I'll get it when I get it. Hopefully this month :P.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
    03-19-2011 09:25 AM
    I kind of stopped caring. I was super excited for the pre-NoDo update and my phone never saw it. My mentality is I'll get it when I get it. Hopefully this month :P.
    That's where I'm at too.
    03-19-2011 09:36 AM
    Although I did get the pre update on the original day it was released, i'm the same, the update will arrive when it arrives, I am no longer excited about when it's arriving, it will be here soon, that'll do for me.

I still absolutely love WP7 on my Omnia 7, update or no update.
    03-19-2011 09:48 AM
    Still loving my Surround. Just won't recommend it till some of these little glitches are addressed, hopefully with the firmware update that I expect to get with NoDo someday.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    03-19-2011 10:33 AM
    I've also stop caring. I received the pre-update, but I can't be bothered by MS announcements. I'll get it when I get it. I can already live without copy & paste. What I really want is the multi-tasking feature.

Sent from my LG Quantum using Board Express
    03-19-2011 10:36 AM
    As I begin to use more features (OneNote, Word, etc) I know how useful copy and paste and multitasking would be, and so in that regards I'm becoming impatient. And it's even harder to wait knowing that the update is right around the corner. But overall I can manage to hold out without throwing a fit.
    03-19-2011 01:52 PM
    You do know that multitasking is (best case scenario) not coming until September, right? Most likely December-Q1 2012?
    03-19-2011 02:42 PM
    Even if it's not true multitasking, the multitasking in Nodo will suffice. Unless you're just trying to troll, then I will find better things to do with my time.
    03-19-2011 02:51 PM
    Can't do true multi-tasking without two cores on your processor anyway so I'm more interested to see when the dual-cores hit the shelves packing WP7. As for the NoDo update, after what happened to my poor Omnia during the pre-update, I'm content with waiting. The device and OS works fine for me for the time being and is stable enough.
    03-19-2011 04:14 PM
    Even if it's not true multitasking, the multitasking in Nodo will suffice. Unless you're just trying to troll, then I will find better things to do with my time.

NoDo contains zero multitasking. The update that has multitasking is supposedly named Mango, and will be "released" fall of 2011
    03-19-2011 04:46 PM
    NoDo contains zero multitasking. The update that has multitasking is supposedly named Mango, and will be "released" fall of 2011
    I swear I saw a nodo video that was showcasing copy/paste and multitasking. But that was a while ago and I don't remember where. If I'm mistaken then that's my fault.
    03-19-2011 05:05 PM
    Unless Microsoft has more "freeze state" in Apps...I wasn't aware anything was really changing.

Also...I just sort of realized......this phone's release has ended up beating NoDo....which kinda sucks.

Hopefully Microsoft is planning on keeping all of the phones pretty uniformly in sync sooner than later.
    Last edited by Averry; 03-19-2011 at 07:36 PM.
    03-19-2011 07:19 PM
    Can't do true multi-tasking without two cores on your processor anyway so I'm more interested to see when the dual-cores hit the shelves packing WP7.
    I think most people, in the near term, will be satisfied with multi-tasking of the variety in which the OS allows background apps to use the processor (for downloading, playing music, etc.) when the foreground app doesn't need every processing cycle. After all, that's the type of multi-tasking folks have had on single processor computers (workstations, Apple computers, Microsoft Windows computers, etc.) for years.

Clearly, the multi-tasking story can only get better with multiple cores. I too am waiting for a Windows Phone device to arrive with dual-cores. At the rate things are going, however, I've been conditioned to have low expectations. As such, I really don't expect such a device until mid to late 2012 (WP9 ??) at the absolute earliest. If it happens before that, it will be a pleasant surprise.
    Rich Edmonds likes this.
    03-19-2011 09:25 PM
    just picked up the HTC Arrive for my wife with the NoDo other than copy and paste I don't really see much of a difference .. everythink looks the same
    the phone is really nice the screen is small but its not as heavy as I thought it would be
    nice phone
    03-19-2011 09:31 PM
    I too am waiting for a Windows Phone device to arrive with dual-cores. ... I really don't expect such a device until mid to late 2012 (WP9 ??) at the absolute earliest. If it happens before that, it will be a pleasant surprise.
    I know, I know, it might be considered self-indulgent to quote myself, but I was thinking about what I wrote...

Maybe Nokia can surprise me. Putting dual-core processors in their upcoming phones (and making sure to release one of them on Verizon) would make people sit up and take notice. Also, it would keep their devices from being "me too" phones, which so much of the current crop of WP7 phones seem to be.
    03-19-2011 09:47 PM
    Can't do true multi-tasking without two cores on your processor anyway
    can someone explain this to me? i've had single core computers and single core blackberrys with true multitasking for years now, why does WP7 need two cores?
    03-20-2011 09:38 AM
    can someone explain this to me? i've had single core computers and single core blackberrys with true multitasking for years now, why does WP7 need two cores?
    He's talking at a very basic hardware level, you can't truly do two things at once (by that I mean in the same exact instance in time) without two logical processors. Multitasking in the way we're all used to talking about it is achieved through multi-threading and the use of the processor's cache to queue operations coming from different programs/routines
    Rich Edmonds likes this.
    03-20-2011 09:45 AM
    With a single core processor, you can only have one core that handles every calculation that is sent through the chip. With dual core (or triple/quad core) there are two or more "cores" that can handle different (or the same) calculations with higher clock rate and efficiency. This, of course, depends on limitations of the software running on the system.

The largest boost in performance will likely be noticed in improved response-time while running CPU-intensive processes, like antivirus scans, ripping/burning media (requiring file conversion), or file searching. For example, if the automatic virus-scan runs while a movie is being watched, the application running the movie is far less likely to be starved of processor power, as the antivirus program will be assigned to a different processor core than the one running the movie playback.
    The above is an example for a PC. While one core is enough for multiple applications to be used on mobile devices (which is given the term 'multi-tasking'), two cores is by far more efficient due to applications being ran on separate cores etc. So we could run Angry Birds on one core, quickly switch applications to check email on another core (while Angry Birds is 'truly' running) and return to the game with little latency (depending on the OS). With a single core, Angry Birds wouldn't run entirely in the background due to the email app using the single core (in theory - depends on how much CPU the email app and transition/multiple application manager requires, and how the OS is built).

Mainly a performance boost in CPU hungry apps.

EDIT:
    He's talking at a very basic hardware level, you can't truly do two things at once (by that I mean in the same exact instance in time) without two logical processors. Multitasking in the way we're all used to talking about it is achieved through multi-threading and the use of the processor's cache to queue operations coming from different programs/routines
    Damn, you beat me, sir :)
    03-20-2011 09:51 AM
    So multitasking is possible on a single core using threading, but much more efficient on a dual core? Or am I still not understanding? hahah I'm just wondering because I've been able to run apps in the background on BB's, but like you mentioned, it was definately a power hog and slowed things down (ie: Google Maps). Thanks for the explanation :)
    03-20-2011 11:19 AM
    So multitasking is possible on a single core using threading, but much more efficient on a dual core? Or am I still not understanding? hahah I'm just wondering because I've been able to run apps in the background on BB's, but like you mentioned, it was definately a power hog and slowed things down (ie: Google Maps). Thanks for the explanation :)
    Almost, it ultimately comes down to that everything on a processor happens in time with the clock, at a certain interval (that's the clock speed, 1ghz in our devices). At each clock pulse the processor can perform one logic operation.

Ordinarily that would mean we have to perform a series of operations for one application/routine, until it's finished and releases the processor.
    With threading we can queue independent logic operations and each thread will be given time on the processor, with it often being the case that the threads will each 'take turns' as the processor for instance does work for thread 1, then 2, then 4, then 2 again, then 1 (that's just an example that they don't have to be in order, each thread will be assigned a priority).

With dual or any multicore, the processor can perform n number of operations (n being the number of cores). So a high priority thread (e.g. a virus scan) can be fully taxing one core, whilst a medium priority thread (e.g. playing music) is still actively operating at the exact same moment of time.

If you're wondering then why multi tasking seems to work fine on single cores it's because all of this happens so quickly (1ghz processors are operating at 1,000,000,000 clock pulses per second, so can do 1,000,000,000 logic operations per second)

That's a really simple version of how it happens and apologies if it's not completely clear, it's been a while since I learned all this stuff.

EDIT: Oh, and the reason things then appear to slow down in your example is because the threads for the application you're using are being queued behind other threads from the other applications.
    foosball likes this.
    03-20-2011 11:44 AM
    So, how does my thread about upcoming updates affecting all phones get moved to the HTC Arrive forum?
    03-20-2011 02:45 PM
    So, how does my thread about upcoming updates affecting all phones get moved to the HTC Arrive forum?
    Well if this is about all Phones I would like to take back my comments LOL
    03-20-2011 04:41 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD