03-27-2011 10:10 AM
71 123
tools
    Ok, I LOVE my phone. My last phone was a BB Curve and this phone is night and day better. My only compliant is that since I use my phone as my alarm, I want to turn all my alerts off at night and still have my alarm go off super loud. It doesn't have that option at all. The first night I had my phone, I had to have the volume up so I can hear the alarm in the morning and I was woken up about 5-6 times from texts or emails. Not a huge deal, but kind of is if you use the phone as your alarm.
    03-24-2011 12:49 AM
    Finally got it!!! Setting it up. First impression: damn this thing is fast.
    Agreed on that, I can't make this thing slow down for anything, it's incredible!
    03-24-2011 02:00 AM
    anything else u wish to say besides harping. 2-7 Really isn't an issue for me. And anyhow even so this phone is still more superior than any webOS device out there.
    I'm sorry but to say Win Phone 7 OS is superior to webOS is hilarious. Hell even the Pre feels better in the hand. At least you can feel the power button and the keyboard stays lit up! Any android lover will tell you also that webOS is superior to any Android version out who have actually played with a webOS device... Now MS can and probably will catch up on most the things I listed above. I am just mad they weren't included at launch.....
    03-24-2011 04:11 AM
    I'm sorry but to say Win Phone 7 OS is superior to webOS is hilarious. Hell even the Pre feels better in the hand. At least you can feel the power button and the keyboard stays lit up! Any android lover will tell you also that webOS is superior to any Android version out who have actually played with a webOS device... Now MS can and probably will catch up on most the things I listed above. I am just mad they weren't included at launch.....
    Not to start up a flame war, but you can't deny that Windows Phone isn't impressive on its own merits as well. I got a critical battery notification when my battery went low so I don't know went on there. As for the other things, they are pretty glaring I will agree.

But think back to the launch of the Pre. No video recording, no MMS, no forwarding Txt messages, you couldn't copy and paste everything only certain txt fields, a really lame facebook app, the "Too Many Cards" problem came up too often in the beginning, the apps overall weren't good until PDK was released, the flimsy usb cover ALWAYS broke off, the earlier models had their power button COMPLETELY broken off (I have a friend in Sprint Service and Repair and he said that they had new power buttons, as mine broke off, and it was a major problem that palm silently fixed), and A WHOLE bunch of other problems when the Pre came out the gate.

Software updates will fix the problems, at least hopefully, but Windows Phone is still a REALLY new OS and the Arrive is just what, 4 days old from launch? (not counting Pro 7, as it's not CDMA, therefore, the Arrive is a completely different device)

I'm upset with a lot of the problems as you are, Thrasher, but we can't just state that one thing is better than the other by stating its faults, especially in comparisons to platforms that have been out longer than the others.

And don't get me wrong either, I LOVE my Pre and WebOS (the small stint I had with an Evo made that REALLY clear to me) but at the end of the day, all these phones have problems.
    03-24-2011 04:29 AM
    jaja if that were true then everyone I kno with a pre wouldn't be hating it and all Android users would have one. Try again almidonado
    03-24-2011 08:20 AM
    jaja if that were true then everyone I kno with a pre wouldn't be hating it and all Android users would have one. Try again almidonado
    Everyone hated their Pres because of the hardware! From the sliders not sliding, to the usb door falling off, to the screen cracking starting where the usb port is making its way to the screen, to the Pre Plus's space bar not working half the time. It was all hardware that pushed people away from Palm and Webos. Also the fact that Android came out with a new phone every 2 months along with a great app store. I don't blame people for going to Android but they still admit webOS is a better OS and it is. Android has a clunky interface especially with its multitasking. The Mango update for Windows has a very nice looking multitasking interface although it is a bit of a ripoff of webOS just like Blackberry did with the playbook. You can hate all you want but Palm got it right with webOS. Yes it lacked things at launch but it sure has them now. Obviously HP saw something in the OS to spend the type of $ they did to buy out Palm!
    03-24-2011 03:39 PM
    The arrive has more landscape mode support than I expected, and a slick rotation animation.

I agree with #7, and I also find the power button annoying. Its worse with a cover, u need fingernails to press it with the body glove case on it. On top of that I do the same thing as the reviewer and keep clicking the hinge thinking its the power button lol.
    Agree with this. I was expecting no landscape support, but it does landscape in almost everything outside the tile screen.

Also, I keep pressing the hinge instead of the power button. I'm sure I'll get used to it. As for everything else- I love it so far. I think I'll make a thread for us to post cool apps/games0tips/tricks
    03-24-2011 03:47 PM
    Yes, the hinge and power buttons definitely are gotchas.

And landscape support is actually quite good. I think since you can rotate it even without the keyboard, many things have the support for it built in already.
    03-24-2011 04:24 PM
    Everyone hated their Pres because of the hardware! From the sliders not sliding, to the usb door falling off, to the screen cracking starting where the usb port is making its way to the screen, to the Pre Plus's space bar not working half the time. It was all hardware that pushed people away from Palm and Webos. Also the fact that Android came out with a new phone every 2 months along with a great app store. I don't blame people for going to Android but they still admit webOS is a better OS and it is. Android has a clunky interface especially with its multitasking. The Mango update for Windows has a very nice looking multitasking interface although it is a bit of a ripoff of webOS just like Blackberry did with the playbook. You can hate all you want but Palm got it right with webOS. Yes it lacked things at launch but it sure has them now. Obviously HP saw something in the OS to spend the type of $ they did to buy out Palm!
    I agree with this, I am a webos DIE-HARD and I had to leave due to the shoddy hardware which is the palm pre-minus. That, and the fact that palm just couldn't get it right with coming designs, and just absolutely refused to make a different form factor (other than small) or a slate that could actually be taken seriously in the tech world. That, and the fact that my pre minus was falling apart, HP abandoning support for it, and my early upgrade was going away in april, with sprint, still unsure if they were even WANTING the Pre3, I left and got me an arrive.

Im totally happy with the form factor, and just the minute difference in size make a load of difference. I was a day one early adopter for the pre and all I got was shat on in the end, though i love the heck out of the OS. Hopefully they will release a slate in the coming years in which ill have a tough choice between webos and the upcoming Wp8, but until then, its wp7 all the way.

But now that I think of it, a webOS phone with no gesture bar support is pretty lame. I think ill be staying with WP7 if this is going to be the case going forward with 3.0
    Last edited by strictlystyles; 03-24-2011 at 05:49 PM.
    03-24-2011 05:29 PM
    they only did it because they were struggling financially. Palm lost to MS before and they will lose again. Its funny how u hate on MS for leaving out some features when ur precious palm left out more.they left out things that even a regular phone does. I wonder what u were sayin during that time huh?
    03-24-2011 05:52 PM
    I agree with this, I am a webos DIE-HARD and I had to leave due to the shoddy hardware which is the palm pre-minus. That, and the fact that palm just couldn't get it right with coming designs, and just absolutely refused to make a different form factor (other than small) or a slate that could actually be taken seriously in the tech world. That, and the fact that my pre minus was falling apart, HP abandoning support for it, and my early upgrade was going away in april, with sprint, still unsure if they were even WANTING the Pre3, I left and got me an arrive.

Im totally happy with the form factor, and just the minute difference in size make a load of difference. I was a day one early adopter for the pre and all I got was shat on in the end, though i love the heck out of the OS. Hopefully they will release a slate in the coming years in which ill have a tough choice between webos and the upcoming Wp8, but until then, its wp7 all the way.

But now that I think of it, a webOS phone with no gesture bar support is pretty lame. I think ill be staying with WP7 if this is going to be the case going forward with 3.0
    I agree wholeheartedly with this.

And btw, did you know that the toaster notifications in Windows Phone 7 can swype away to the right and left just like in WebOS? I did it by accident and force of habit, it's pretty cool that they copied this idea for the notifications!
    03-24-2011 06:10 PM
    I agree wholeheartedly with this.

And btw, did you know that the toaster notifications in Windows Phone 7 can swype away to the right and left just like in WebOS? I did it by accident and force of habit, it's pretty cool that they copied this idea for the notifications!
    That makes 3. I went through ~4 pres and a pixi before jumping ship. Went Epic, but didnt like it. Now im happy with Arrive.
    03-24-2011 06:42 PM
    Anyone else's Arrive run a bit hot? I can feel the heat through the case. Ah well no worse than the samsung moment.
    03-24-2011 07:11 PM
    they only did it because they were struggling financially. Palm lost to MS before and they will lose again. Its funny how u hate on MS for leaving out some features when ur precious palm left out more.they left out things that even a regular phone does. I wonder what u were sayin during that time huh?
    I'm not hating on MS. Thing is though they left out A LOT more on Win Phone 7 than Palm did with webOS at launch. Are you forgetting this is 2011? Palm was 2009... Microsoft should of made these things standard in the OS. Want me to add a few more to my list for WP7???
    1. How about the fact that you cant have different volume levels for different things such as ringer volume,navigation volume,zune headphone volume ect... I had it on 30 for music and it stays on 30 for the ringer when I unplug the earbuds...
    2. How about the fact that this particular HTC Arrive device only gets 75% as loud as a original Zune 30/80 or Zune HD?? Whats the point of having high end earbuds if you cant even turn them up. My Pre even got louder than the Arrive.
    3. How about the fact that on Engadget.com my favorite website. That on mobile site and full version site you cannot even read the comments! Nothing shows up! Just the article. This has to be a IE problem. And where is a engadget app?
    4. Also where is flash player??? webOS has it now! and android has for a while...

I could list more but you'll just call me a flamer. When you get spoiled by webOS and go to Android or any other OS you will always feel things are lacking. Just the way it is bud. If you never owned a Pre don't even talk. As you can see the other posters on here agree with me.
    03-24-2011 07:12 PM
    Not to start up a flame war, but you can't deny that Windows Phone isn't impressive on its own merits as well. I got a critical battery notification when my battery went low so I don't know went on there. As for the other things, they are pretty glaring I will agree.

But think back to the launch of the Pre. No video recording, no MMS, no forwarding Txt messages, you couldn't copy and paste everything only certain txt fields, a really lame facebook app, the "Too Many Cards" problem came up too often in the beginning, the apps overall weren't good until PDK was released, the flimsy usb cover ALWAYS broke off, the earlier models had their power button COMPLETELY broken off (I have a friend in Sprint Service and Repair and he said that they had new power buttons, as mine broke off, and it was a major problem that palm silently fixed), and A WHOLE bunch of other problems when the Pre came out the gate.

Software updates will fix the problems, at least hopefully, but Windows Phone is still a REALLY new OS and the Arrive is just what, 4 days old from launch? (not counting Pro 7, as it's not CDMA, therefore, the Arrive is a completely different device)

I'm upset with a lot of the problems as you are, Thrasher, but we can't just state that one thing is better than the other by stating its faults, especially in comparisons to platforms that have been out longer than the others.

And don't get me wrong either, I LOVE my Pre and WebOS (the small stint I had with an Evo made that REALLY clear to me) but at the end of the day, all these phones have problems.
    Yes Wp7 is very nice and elegant to use. I am rooting for it to overtake Android or IOS someday as I believe HP doesn't have what it takes to get webOS up to the top sadly. Those things you listed that the Pre lacked the Iphone also lacked too for a long while. Must of had something to do with the fact that former Apple employees helped create and build webOS and the Pre. But like I said that was 2007-2009. This is 2011! Microsoft needs to be on top of things. For them to say you will not believe what WP7 can do in their commercials is quite a misstatement if you ask me. Got a while to go before they should have the balls to say that. Only thing that "I cannot believe" is how smooth it runs and that it has Xbox Live support. Everything else we have seen before...
    03-24-2011 07:20 PM
    I'm not hating on MS. Thing is though they left out A LOT more on Win Phone 7 than Palm did with webOS at launch. Are you forgetting this is 2011? Palm was 2009... Microsoft should of made these things standard in the OS. Want me to add a few more to my list for WP7???
    1. How about the fact that you cant have different volume levels for different things such as ringer volume,navigation volume,zune headphone volume ect... I had it on 30 for music and it stays on 30 for the ringer when I unplug the earbuds...
    2. How about the fact that this particular HTC Arrive device only gets 75% as loud as a original Zune 30/80 or Zune HD?? Whats the point of having high end earbuds if you cant even turn them up. My Pre even got louder than the Arrive.
    3. How about the fact that on Engadget.com my favorite website. That on mobile site and full version site you cannot even read the comments! Nothing shows up! Just the article. This has to be a IE problem. And where is a engadget app?
    4. Also where is flash player??? webOS has it now! and android has for a while...

I could list more but you'll just call me a flamer. When you get spoiled by webOS and go to Android or any other OS you will always feel things are lacking. Just the way it is bud. If you never owned a Pre don't even talk. As you can see the other posters on here agree with me.
    Woah there, thrasher, calm down. Let me tend to some of your comments on the list.

Volume issues can't be solely on windows phone, they are hardware manufactures problems. Also, dumb question, but did you take off the plastic covering the speaker? Also, I don't believe the pre had that extensive of volume control per app. Just a media volume bar and a notification volume bar (represented by either the music notes or the bell).

iPhone still doesn't have flash. The pre minus has flash IF YOU HACK IT ON THERE and its pretty terrible. Also, flash was supposed to be released for the pre MONTHS before it appeared. The only reason why its on Android and webos is because of the fact that they are both Linux and its easy to port over the code where as windows CE, the kernel for wp7, doesn't have a native flash client.

I love Engadget as well, but those are coding errors on their end. Since wp7 uses internet explorer Engadget as well as other websites will dumb down the site to the point of wap looking websites. This will change when ie9 comes to wp7. If we had user agent changing abilities I bet you that it would render fine. I worked for a little bit as a web designer and internet explorer is always a ***** to render (that is until ie9 came along with html5). I've had sites run on internet explorer run perfectly fine when I change the user agent to say it was Firefox, but once it detects is it resorts to backup mode. As for the app, that's also their end. My guess is that they aren't going to release one until there's more ground and interest on windows phone. That, and they probably are working on a slick wp7 implementation of it rather than copying over their Android, webos, and iPhone UI.

I agree that it is upsetting that Microsoft didn't have these from the beginning. My arrive is definitely louder than my pre, btw, so idk what's up with that. I love my pre, but it did get left in the dust. I'm sorry for your pain towards the arrive and the windows phone.

As for me, I don't think I'll go to something else for a while!
    (PHEW! I typed this all on my arrive. Definitely got a good keyboard workout.)
    03-24-2011 07:40 PM

once again minor things. Use bt headphones they get way louder than the headphone jack. Can't really make those loud because of distortion. Engadget? That site is one of the most anti-MS sites there is and they probably coded it to where it doesn't display well in IE. All the sites I've visited displayed fine and worked just like they do on a desktop computer so stop b!tchin and whining over minor things they will be fixed soon and wp7 will overtake and defeat webOS if it already hasn't then it will get bb the iPhone and then Android. App development on wp7 is already faster than any other platform.

Edit- the IE does have a user agent switch in the settings. A switch that has existed since wm6.1.21051
    03-24-2011 08:04 PM
    does have a user agent switch in the settings. A switch that has existed since wm6.1.21051
    really?! Even in wp7? Where?
    03-24-2011 08:31 PM
    really?! Even in wp7? Where?
    in IE lift up the bottom bar and select settings then there's an area that says website preference under that choose desktop version or u can also press start then settings and select IE from there. Works like a charm,best switch I've used so far.
    03-24-2011 08:53 PM
    once again minor things. Use bt headphones they get way louder than the headphone jack. Can't really make those loud because of distortion. Engadget? That site is one of the most anti-MS sites there is and they probably coded it to where it doesn't display well in IE. All the sites I've visited displayed fine and worked just like they do on a desktop computer so stop b!tchin and whining over minor things they will be fixed soon and wp7 will overtake and defeat webOS if it already hasn't then it will get bb the iPhone and then Android. App development on wp7 is already faster than any other platform.

Edit- the IE does have a user agent switch in the settings. A switch that has existed since wm6.1.21051
    Sorry but bluetooth earbuds or headphones will always sound like crap compared to true audiophile products. I have Sennheiser IE8's and my Pre got much louder than the Arrive. There was also a hack to somehow make the gain on the Pre rise like 10db. Never tried that but I am sure it would of been nice.
    03-24-2011 09:31 PM
    Woah there, thrasher, calm down. Let me tend to some of your comments on the list.

Volume issues can't be solely on windows phone, they are hardware manufactures problems. Also, dumb question, but did you take off the plastic covering the speaker? Also, I don't believe the pre had that extensive of volume control per app. Just a media volume bar and a notification volume bar (represented by either the music notes or the bell).

iPhone still doesn't have flash. The pre minus has flash IF YOU HACK IT ON THERE and its pretty terrible. Also, flash was supposed to be released for the pre MONTHS before it appeared. The only reason why its on Android and webos is because of the fact that they are both Linux and its easy to port over the code where as windows CE, the kernel for wp7, doesn't have a native flash client.

I love Engadget as well, but those are coding errors on their end. Since wp7 uses internet explorer Engadget as well as other websites will dumb down the site to the point of wap looking websites. This will change when ie9 comes to wp7. If we had user agent changing abilities I bet you that it would render fine. I worked for a little bit as a web designer and internet explorer is always a ***** to render (that is until ie9 came along with html5). I've had sites run on internet explorer run perfectly fine when I change the user agent to say it was Firefox, but once it detects is it resorts to backup mode. As for the app, that's also their end. My guess is that they aren't going to release one until there's more ground and interest on windows phone. That, and they probably are working on a slick wp7 implementation of it rather than copying over their Android, webos, and iPhone UI.

I agree that it is upsetting that Microsoft didn't have these from the beginning. My arrive is definitely louder than my pre, btw, so idk what's up with that. I love my pre, but it did get left in the dust. I'm sorry for your pain towards the arrive and the windows phone.

As for me, I don't think I'll go to something else for a while!
    (PHEW! I typed this all on my arrive. Definitely got a good keyboard workout.)
    Of course I took the sticker off the back speakerphone grill. The Arrive has the 2nd best speakerphone I have ever heard only behind the Razr 2 from Motorola. What I was talking about was it not getting loud enough with the earbuds in. Its pretty soft compared to other Mp3 players on the market and even my old Pre. Also the Pre has separate volumes for ringer,navigation, systems sounds, and headphones. That is all I am asking for...
    Last edited by Thrasherx2k1; 03-24-2011 at 09:38 PM.
    03-24-2011 09:32 PM
    in IE lift up the bottom bar and select settings then there's an area that says website preference under that choose desktop version or u can also press start then settings and select IE from there. Works like a charm,best switch I've used so far.
    aww, I thought you meant one that was editable so that it can masquerade as another browser.

And I definitely had Desktop Mode on my Moto Q which ran WinMo 5.0
    03-24-2011 09:41 PM
    My last phone was a BB Curve and this phone is night and day better. My only compliant is that since I use my phone as my alarm, I want to turn all my alerts off at night and still have my alarm go off super loud. It doesn't have that option at all. The first night I had my phone, I had to have the volume up so I can hear the alarm in the morning and I was woken up about 5-6 times from texts or emails. Not a huge deal, but kind of is if you use the phone as your alarm.
    This is exactly what I am talking about with lack of multiple volume controls...
    03-24-2011 09:45 PM
    This is exactly what I am talking about with lack of multiple volume controls...
    It doesn't bother me because on my palm pre it was a total pain in the ***. Yea it had two volume controls but the actual volume buttons never changed both settings on the fly, so situations when you had to turn the system volume down on the fly, you had to either do it on settings or hope the app your using let you turn the volume down.

I dunno how many times i switched the ringer off either and the volume stayed on causing many embarrassing moments.

Just saying, it doesn't bother me that much really, since im sure they'll patch it within the next few months.
    Last edited by strictlystyles; 03-24-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    03-24-2011 10:33 PM
    Not sure what the issue is but I can read Engadget comments perfectly well. Using the actual website, not the mobile version. I can even change the sorting option from "newest first" to "oldest first".

-R
    eric12341 likes this.
    03-24-2011 11:29 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD