Thoughs of the New Arrive

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I picked up an Arrive last night and spent several hours setting it up and playing with it. I like it a lot.

Its not as bulky/clunky as i thought it would be and the weight is fine too. Just as I thought, I am not using the hw kb as much. The OS KB is very nice and responsive.

I am gonna miss the multi-tasking that webos had. I never really noticed how much I would flick a card up while I was waiting for data to DL or for the app to do somthing and access a second or third app to flip back and fourth.

And I'm dissapointed that I cant use custom ring and message tones per person. But with all that being said I still prefer this device over my pre. The speed and smoothness of it is just sic.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, I picked up an Arrive last night and spent several hours setting it up and playing with it. I like it a lot.

Its not as bulky/clunky as i thought it would be and the weight is fine too. Just as I thought, I am not using the hw kb as much. The OS KB is very nice and responsive.

I am gonna miss the multi-tasking that webos had. I never really noticed how much I would flick a card up while I was waiting for data to DL or for the app to do somthing and access a second or third app to flip back and fourth.

And I'm dissapointed that I cant use custom ring and message tones per person. But with all that being said I still prefer this device over my pre. The speed and smoothness of it is just sic.

what you are asking is coming ...

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
My last phone was a BB Curve and this phone is night and day better. My only compliant is that since I use my phone as my alarm, I want to turn all my alerts off at night and still have my alarm go off super loud. It doesn't have that option at all. The first night I had my phone, I had to have the volume up so I can hear the alarm in the morning and I was woken up about 5-6 times from texts or emails. Not a huge deal, but kind of is if you use the phone as your alarm.

I know what you mean
what if you shut off your cell moden when you go to bed would that stop the alerts ?

tmorningstar

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
My last phone was a BB Curve and this phone is night and day better. My only compliant is that since I use my phone as my alarm, I want to turn all my alerts off at night and still have my alarm go off super loud. It doesn't have that option at all. The first night I had my phone, I had to have the volume up so I can hear the alarm in the morning and I was woken up about 5-6 times from texts or emails. Not a huge deal, but kind of is if you use the phone as your alarm.

Um, these are my words from page 2. Were you trying to quote me?

Last edited:

mock19

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

I think you can assign a ringtone for each person in your contact list...just obviously not your own custom tones.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I migrated over to WP7 after being a devotee of webOS. After having the Arrive for a few days now, here are my observations:

Pro's:

- Beautiful screen
- Fastest, sexiest OS on the planet
- It's great to have keyboard options. I use both types throughout the day and wouldn't want to be limited to one or the other
- Hardware is very solid and I really like HTC's Custom Apps for YouTube and the Sound Equalizer
- Larger battery (1500 mAh) compared to other WP7 phones
- Speaker sounds good and is plenty loud enough

Areas for Improvement:

- Email needs to automatically refresh/sync when manually turning 3G or Wi-Fi on after having been off otherwise it appears that you have no new emails when there could be any number of missed ones
- Needs email message toaster notifications
- A call that is intentionally ignored shouldn't show up in the live tile as a missed call (or have that as an option to turn off/on). An email that comes in when the email application is open should not end up in the tile notifications either
- Calendar reminders need snooze intervals (5, 10, 20, 30 min, 1-24 hours, 2-7 day).
- Moving cursor around in text needs improvement in usability/preciseness
- Low battery needs audio alert starting at user designated timeframe
- Needs universal search for people, apps, calendar events, etc
- Needs to allow adding of additional pages for app organization and also naming of such pages.
- Call details should be grouped by: outgoing calls, incoming calls, and missed calls
- Ability to email/text all forms of media (audio, video, documents, etc)
- Ability to download files & all forms of media to phone
- File system to retrieve downloaded files
- All email tiles should have ability to be integrated for one stop shop
- Screen capture feature

All in all a solid phone and I'm glad I migrated over from webOS as much as that platform is a multi-tasking beast. I love this phone and the platform will only get better as it matures. MS had to start over with a brand new OS so if this is where they start from then it bodes well for the future.

Last edited:

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I think you can assign a ringtone for each person in your contact list...just obviously not your own custom tones.

yeah, I saw the ringer assignment in the people hub. I was talking about my own custom ringtones. The James Harris free ringtone app was the best app in the palm (hp) catalog.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo