coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased my HTC Arrive today (upgrading from my Pre) and it's fantastic!

Just wanted to make my first post on WP Central, coming from Precentral

So far I'm loving everything, but I can't wait to see if this baby is able to get the tweaks and stuff from Chevron WP7, that'd be sick!

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
hey coaster, I'm currently a pre user and plan on going this weekend to pick it up. I'm really interested in your honest opinion making this switch. Especially after you have some time spent with it.

I use the universal search a lot and luv jim harris's rt app. I understand that you can't assign rt and mt to contacts..? Hope there's an app for that. :)

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased my HTC Arrive today (upgrading from my Pre) and it's fantastic!

So far I'm loving everything, but I can't wait to see if this baby is able to get the tweaks and stuff from Chevron WP7, that'd be sick!

great news coasterfreak...
welcome to Windows Phone 7!!

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I've only had it for a little while still, but there are definitely some things I miss about the Pre.

Mostly, there's a bunch of stuff missing that should be expected. Group Contacts, multiple calendars on 1 account, it won't split txt messages past 160 characters it stops you, etc.

There is a lot still "broken" on windows phone, but it is a brand new platform and there's room to change.

Everything else is amazing, the quality and polish is astounding, but Microsoft put so much effort on the visuals and performance that they forgot about usability. These little things are already driving me insane.

I'm hoping the Mango update remedies this, and they release it sooner rather than later.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I've only had it for a little while still, but there are definitely some things I miss about the Pre.

Mostly, there's a bunch of stuff missing that should be expected. Group Contacts, multiple calendars on 1 account, it won't split txt messages past 160 characters it stops you, etc.

There is a lot still "broken" on windows phone, but it is a brand new platform and there's room to change.

Everything else is amazing, the quality and polish is astounding, but Microsoft put so much effort on the visuals and performance that they forgot about usability. These little things are already driving me insane.

I'm hoping the Mango update remedies this, and they release it sooner rather than later.

I think there is a app for Group Contacts.

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I think there is a app for Group Contacts.

I know, just got it, but it'd be nice if it was built in.

And is the 160 character limit just a Sprint thing? It's really driving me nuts! I read elsewhere that it automatically makes 2 messages for you when you pass 160 characters, but on my Arrive it just stops at 160 and then I have to send a new txt to finish what I started.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I know, just got it, but it'd be nice if it was built in.

And is the 160 character limit just a Sprint thing? It's really driving me nuts! I read elsewhere that it automatically makes 2 messages for you when you pass 160 characters, but on my Arrive it just stops at 160 and then I have to send a new txt to finish what I started.

No. Its software. I currently have a Pre and when I send an SMS, if it is over the 160 limit it will break them into 2 separate messages. Dont know it until you hit send then you see it split.

GoodGuyTX

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I came from a Pre as well. I do miss some of the things that WebOS did really well, like Synergy (combining mail, contacts and calendars).

But I really like the performance. This thing is really fast. No more waiting several seconds after you delete an e-mail, launch an app, etc.

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I came from a Pre as well. I do miss some of the things that WebOS did really well, like Synergy (combining mail, contacts and calendars).

But I really like the performance. This thing is really fast. No more waiting several seconds after you delete an e-mail, launch an app, etc.

Pre doesn't have these issues with the Uber Kernel. I already took back my Arrive and went back to the Pre. Couldn't stand how many things are missing! Id rather not explain them just look at my other posts...

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I got uberkernel set at 1ghz and have had Nova-Barleywine and now Meta-Doctor 2.1.0, but I still hated the performance on the Pre with all of that.

I'm surprised with how much is missing. Its as if Microsoft focused all their attention on looks and performance that they forgot to put emphasis on usability.

What's even more odd is that I own a Zune HD and it is doing things that WP7 does not (for example, scrolling for rewind and fast forward for videos). It just doesn't make sense to me why they forgot all these basic little things. Whats even more daunting is the lack of emphasis on these issues on updates. The Mango update doesn't seem to address these issues.

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I got uberkernel set at 1ghz and have had Nova-Barleywine and now Meta-Doctor 2.1.0, but I still hated the performance on the Pre with all of that.

I'm surprised with how much is missing. Its as if Microsoft focused all their attention on looks and performance that they forgot to put emphasis on usability.

What's even more odd is that I own a Zune HD and it is doing things that WP7 does not (for example, scrolling for rewind and fast forward for videos). It just doesn't make sense to me why they forgot all these basic little things. Whats even more daunting is the lack of emphasis on these issues on updates. The Mango update doesn't seem to address these issues.

Another thing that upset me is the fact the Arrive doesn't get as loud as the original 30/80GB Zunes or even the Zune HD. I cranked it up to 30 on my nice earbuds and it was like 75-80% as loud as the older Zunes. Is this HTCs fault or Microsofts?

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It really boggles my mind of how much stuff isn't implemented in Windows Phone 7. As much as I love it, these minute problems are major. I'm going to stick it out with it longer in hopes that these things get fixed along the way (or the hacking scene fixes them) becuase I just plain don't like android and my Pre just feels old.

Seriously though, Microsoft, how can you screw this up that badly? The Zune HD was perfect from the start and there wasn't anything major added to it. If it was the spiritual precursor to Windows Phone 7, shouldn't you have made it similar. Especially the glaring scrolling video controls?

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to WPC.

I don't think M$ messed anything up... they are following in Apple's footsteps which I think is a very smart idea. They are also following their own like they do with windows on PCs. When you add a lot of things at once, it leads to a lot of bugs. At least if they add one or two, they can focus on certain parts of the coding that probably caused the issue.

Are there features I wish I had now? Yes, but I understand the process and I'm willing to stick around for the ride.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

Hello coaster, welcome to wpcentral! :D

Your Windows Phone 7 switch = :thumbsup:

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok is this a thread to praise the arrive or to bash iT? These sound like symptoms of the good ol operator error.

It's not the operator. It LITERALLY stops at 160 while typing and doesn't continue by making 2 messages. I haven't even sent the text yet. (instead of continuing with "2 messages xxx/320" it just stops at "160/160"

And sorry if it turned into a Microsoft hate thread. I'm just shocked is all, I didn't expect to find all these problems and missing features.

I'm going to wait it out and hope that it's just early adopter syndrome and that fixes will come soon.

Matts4313

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
the text thing seems to be a glitch. People at XDA read the manual and stated that the manual says it should NOT do this. i would imagine a minor patch sometime soon to fix it.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
It's not the operator. It LITERALLY stops at 160 while typing and doesn't continue by making 2 messages. I haven't even sent the text yet. (instead of continuing with "2 messages xxx/320" it just stops at "160/160"

And sorry if it turned into a Microsoft hate thread. I'm just shocked is all, I didn't expect to find all these problems and missing features.

I'm going to wait it out and hope that it's just early adopter syndrome and that fixes will come soon.

coming from windows mobile I don't really notice anything big missing.especially with what I do daily. Only problem I have is the FIM app reconnecting when I leave it but I can use the full Facebook chat in IE to get around that. And that is something that I have never been able to see a mobile browser do, every other platform browser just redirects to Facebook mobile. wp7 also has something like synergy its called ms exchange it brings all my contacts calendar etc in after login,explore the settings more before u go and say whats missing or not. Wp7 is definitely superior to webOS and the pre. Everyone I know with a pre hated it!

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
It really boggles my mind of how much stuff isn't implemented in Windows Phone 7. As much as I love it, these minute problems are major. I'm going to stick it out with it longer in hopes that these things get fixed along the way (or the hacking scene fixes them) becuase I just plain don't like android and my Pre just feels old.

Seriously though, Microsoft, how can you screw this up that badly? The Zune HD was perfect from the start and there wasn't anything major added to it. If it was the spiritual precursor to Windows Phone 7, shouldn't you have made it similar. Especially the glaring scrolling video controls?

coasterfreak,
you need to post your fixes on answers.microsoft.com or tweet them to winphone support so they get on the list to be fixed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3