is it worth to make the jump to the arrive?

nrguser

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I also came from a Pre-, it's really great moving to new hardware. I was holding about for the Pre 3 but HP really dropped the bomb and waited too late. Technology moves too fast to announce a phone coming almost 6 months later. I will miss justype/universal search, don't need to hit the people icon, then find your contact. It's just pop open the keyboard and type their name and it shows up, simple.

I love the arrive, the amount of apps is awesome and I can find anything I really need. The hardware is really solid. I can't wait to see where Windows mobile goes. I used to have a Treo Pro and loved the hardware and software combo palm had with it, and wish they would have stuck with it =(

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Don't Rule Out Zune

I am looking into a good alternative to Stitcher and Pandora.

I too enjoyed having streaming radio on my mobile device, but I have been pleasently surprised with Zune so far. There are so many features that I like so far, and I really haven't dug that deeply into it yet.

Something to consider.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Welcome!

I switched from Pre- on day 1 the Arrive was released. WP7 OS is simple, clean, easy to use and most importantly FAST. I was honestly surprised, was expecting something close to Android experience (slaps myself for thinking this). Phone build is solid, hardware and on screen keyboard are comfortable to type with and feels good in the hand, battery life is good for me I don't play games or music on it plus I put it in airplane mode when at work. This is a BIG plus for me no garbage Sprint or HTC Software (football, nascar, htc sense etc never used any of that crap anyway) on the phone. You do have the option of installing this stuff but only if you want to. I don't regret my switch for one bit.

Welcome to WPCentral!

There are better threads than this one that can be useful to getting the most out of your Windows Phone.

It's good to hear that you are enjoying your experience so far!

RosscoPeecho

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Ethanol you're from Fargo? That is funny because I'm from Jamestown.

Has anyone heard of the Windows and HTC event coming in under two weeks? What are the chances sprint gets new phones in the pipeline?

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, there are a few of us that frequent this forum from North Dakota. Firedancer and Averry are two more.

Sent from my flippin' sweet Quantum using Board Express

omi205

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Palm Pre to HTC Arrive

I would say that I was the biggest Palm Pre fan. I got the Pre when it first dropped on Sprint and had it till about 3 weeks ago when I got the Arrive. There just comes a time when patching, hacking, and overclocking to 1.2ghz on the Pre just dosnt cut it anymore. WebOS was amazing and even till now I think its the best, but thats just the OS. The hardware that the OS came with was very very bad and I wasnt about to wait another 6 or so month for the Pre3 to come out.

So I got the Arrive and am extremly pleased with the switch. WP7 is easier then most OS's that I have used and although it is in need of simple updates, overall its on the right track and I am ready for the ride.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I would say that I was the biggest Palm Pre fan. I got the Pre when it first dropped on Sprint and had it till about 3 weeks ago when I got the Arrive. There just comes a time when patching, hacking, and overclocking to 1.2ghz on the Pre just dosnt cut it anymore. WebOS was amazing and even till now I think its the best, but thats just the OS. The hardware that the OS came with was very very bad and I wasnt about to wait another 6 or so month for the Pre3 to come out.

So I got the Arrive and am extremly pleased with the switch. WP7 is easier then most OS's that I have used and although it is in need of simple updates, overall its on the right track and I am ready for the ride.

...and welcome to the ranks of your fellow webOS-turned-to-WP7-out-of-necessity cohorts!

Trader05

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Im also another former WebOS user. I've had the Pre since launch, WebOS is an awesome OS, but the hardware is garbage compared to HTC's quality. HP is just taking too long to release new phones. There's no way I was switching to an Iphone or Android phone, so it only left with me one choice, especially when Sprint's new upgrade system changed April 1st. It kinda forced me to do an upgrade, since i didn't want to wait 2 more months.

I've been using the Arrive for about a week. I do miss the WebOS notifications (fb, email and text), email vibrate only, usb drive instead of using software to sync, and the multitasking experience (nothing beats it currently). That aside, I dont need to use homebrew hacking to overclock old hardware, and the battery is excellent (best seller for me). There is no need for me to have a charger at my work, and have 2 house chargers, this battery lasts me all day+. Overall im very happy with my $150 upgrade through AmazonWireless. Looking for some minor updates from MS, maybe a possible camera update for this phone (its ok, but looks like it needs a software update to be on par, as read on a review), and its possible i'll stay with Phone7.

onemadrssn

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Iand the battery is excellent (best seller for me). There is no need for me to have a charger at my work, and have 2 house chargers, this battery lasts me all day+.

Totally agree. The battery on this phone rocks! I am able to get 2 days and 1 night on average so far in between charges, and I use it to check email, scores, and various other little apps often.

digitalvapor#WP

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
hey everyone! I purchased my Arrive yesterday so I should be getting it tomorrow. I'm leaving Verizon and coming to Sprint and leaving my Samsung Fascinate. I'm getting a tad sick of Android. Anyway just a quick question, how is the angle on the screen? Do you feel its angled to much to you?

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I've found the angle to be perfect for viewing. If you need to reduce it at all it sits very comfortably in the hands so you can easily adjust it to your liking by adjusting your holding angle. The virtual keyboard is really nice too so you may not use the hardware kb as much as you'd think.

mmbond

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Solid phone as are most HTC offerings, but, thanks to the OS and beautiful UI, best experience ever! And when the Mango update "Arrives" in the fall, WP7 is going to a monster!

rexalbel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Your immaturity shines again. Cant even say why webOS sucks just say its webPOS. Lmao you are sad... Let me tell you this there is nothing about webOS that sucks except for the lack of apps. Any person here who had a Pre will tell you that. The only thing that trully sucked was the hardware than ran it. Which is why it ran slow on the Pre and Pre + without being overclocked. webOS 2.0 on the other hand on the 1GHZ Pre 2 is just as fast or faster than WP7. Don't hate unless you actually know what you are talking about.

That being said WP7 will hopefully have multitasking by winter this year. They said FALL which is minimum 6 months away. So it could be 7-9 months. I just hope its worth the wait along with other minor updates.

I agree. I left webos due to lack of hardware and lack of developer support. I debated waiting for the pre 3. ****, the pre 3 will probably have better hardware in some aspects (i miss the feel of the pre) and webos 3.0 is shapping out to be amazing! But.. since i use my mobile phone a lot while out, i really wanted more apps and a decent belief they were comming. I wanted ebay so i can check stuff im selling get notifications ect. I wanted barcode scanners so i can compare prices while out. I wanted pageonce so i can watch bills, see accounts ect. Shazam, and plenty more big name apps. Webos has so few, with none being announced. The only apps i really miss from webos are A+ student organizer and Bank of America (which is coming soon and will be the only differentiated version) As far as software goes, webos is amazing and 3.0 I am telling you, will rock! but I don't want to hold onto my pre for a year while devs finally jump on board. I'd rather just get the touchpad which I am developing for, and i don't need as many mobile apps because the screen is bigger, and things like augmented reality and barcode scanners are more practical on phones.

Tyndall

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted to love my Arrive. i did get it but had odd trouble getting my Exchange accounts to sync. I was also pretty unimpressed that the phone does not have Wimax 4-G, as I think every phone coming out at this point should have it. I found the hardware to be solid, though after using it for a couple days I longed for a slate type device, a testament to the solid on-screen keyboard.

I love the Metro UI, and of course the exchange not syncing was a huge dealbreaker. My next hope is the Nexus S, when that comes out. But my real secret wish would be for a 4" screen slate running WebOS 3.

People can sit here in the forum and trash WebOs all they want, but honestly..anyone who has spent any time using it would tell you there is an awful lot to like with that OS. Each OS is different, each has its strong suits and weaknesses. In the end it is combination of software and hardware that makes a phone "great".

I don't think the Arrive, in it's current iteration is "great", but it was a nice phone I enjoyed using.

One other niggle was that I found the screen to be extremely susceptible to grease, oils and smudging. I found myself constantly cleaning it. A pain in the you-know-what.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted to love my Arrive. i did get it but had odd trouble getting my Exchange accounts to sync. I was also pretty unimpressed that the phone does not have Wimax 4-G, as I think every phone coming out at this point should have it. I found the hardware to be solid, though after using it for a couple days I longed for a slate type device, a testament to the solid on-screen keyboard.

I love the Metro UI, and of course the exchange not syncing was a huge dealbreaker. My next hope is the Nexus S, when that comes out. But my real secret wish would be for a 4" screen slate running WebOS 3.

People can sit here in the forum and trash WebOs all they want, but honestly..anyone who has spent any time using it would tell you there is an awful lot to like with that OS. Each OS is different, each has its strong suits and weaknesses. In the end it is combination of software and hardware that makes a phone "great".

I don't think the Arrive, in it's current iteration is "great", but it was a nice phone I enjoyed using.

One other niggle was that I found the screen to be extremely susceptible to grease, oils and smudging. I found myself constantly cleaning it. A pain in the you-know-what.

Ehh...I used to be a WebOS user too. I don't see any need to trash it as much as it has been beaten up already. but when I tally what is missing from the Arrive (use Gmail, don't care about Exchange, but I've seen other people set it up on their phones with no problem) and what is missing from even the future versions of WebOS as shown from HP's presentations....it's not even close. Windows Phone 7 is not only in a better state now, but also has a much brighter future.

I sincerely doubt the the "HP Music Store" will ever rival the Zune app and Zune pass. I KNOW the "HP Movie Store" won't be anywhere near the quality of Netflix. The smoothness and speed of the UI is already better than even WebOS 2.0. I think browsing will be better with the Mango update. Battery life is already better. The People hub will be better than any Facebook or Twitter apps once Twitter is fully integrated. The photos app is already better by miles. Cards are coming this year. Ovi Maps not long after to give WP7 awesome free navigation and yet ANOTHER advantage. The only advantage left on WebOS will be notifications. Not enough. Not by a long shot.

HP is focused on tablets. Probably a smart strategy, all things considered. Of course if Windows 8 runs great on tablet hardware, well.....

biwah

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Arrive - the best successor for your Pre minus (but check out the Nexus S)

Without necessarily casting blame, HP missed the boat when it failed to release the Pre 3 on Sprint by this spring with even a summer release on Sprint very much in doubt. Us Pre minus owners cannot sit around and wait until fall with our laggy hardware, however diehard we might be in liking WebOS.

I went with the Arrive and love it. WP7 is different from Web OS but a natural successor to it, considering the options out there. I miss the cards and gestures, and find the browser (IE) fast and smooth, but clunky in terms of tabs management and workflow compared with the Pre. Lots more to say about this phone and WP7, mostly positive, but I'll leave it at that.

Oh, and the runner-up for those looking to trade in their Pre - but stay with Sprint is probably the Nexus S, which (just announced) is being released May 8. Very nice phone with a great display and the best of Android.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I find that using the Arrive has made me more productive. I am a long time WinMo guy made the jump to Android when the EVO came out. I fell in love with that platform so much so I became a moderator in those forums if you stop in at Android Central you might see me around or you might see some of my work. Fast forward to today I got the Arrive a few weeks ago kept my EVO Shift just in case WP didn't work out. I haven't even charged the battery on that phone in over a week. I post a lot in the forums I spend a lot of time on calls and email at my day job and this phone just gets it done. I spend far less time adjusting and tweeting my phone and alot more time just using it its great to be able to getting things done. Then there is Zune, Zune pass, and of course XBOX and gaming what else do you need to keep entertained. For me the most exciting thing about having WP and the Arrive isn't what the phone can do its what I can do with the phone. I find I am just more productive with the Arrive so yes I think its worth it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven