is it worth to make the jump to the arrive?

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
i need a new phone! this damn sprint pre minus needs to go! its seriously on its last leg, i was wondering from any current arrive user is it worth the upgrade? i dont want to invest with the last year hardware in fear on something newer coming out, so are u happy with your choice? and do u think i should make the move? or should i wait?

DirtyDogg#WP

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I made the switch from the Pre when the Arrive first came out. I must say that I am enjoying it. The hardware is awesome. The phone feels great in your hands, the screen looks amazing and the phone is so quick and responsive.

That being said, Windows Phone 7 does have some limitations, and you should definitely make sure you can live with them before the jump. The big ones that stand out to me are: Lack of tethering, no shared calendar syncing, and I didn't realize I would miss true multi-tasking so much.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Don't worry about the lack of multitasking as it will be here within 3 to 6 months. Multitasking already exists in some form so its not bad doin without it but it will be worth the wait once it comes. Whatever opportunity u have to leave palm webPOS u should take it and this is one of them.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Coming from webOS I can guarantee you will love at least 3 things about this phone:
- Speed, speed, speed
- Solid hardware
- App selection

You will miss the notifications and homebrew flexibility but IMO its worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: VernonEL

RosscoPeecho

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I am in THE SAME boat as you. I have the same concerns and I also have a Palm Pre that is struggling and doesn't seem to want to even load text messages sometimes. I always thought the Pre had the best multitasking though and I anticipate I will miss that the most although this video below starting at 3:00 shows webOS-like multitasking.

YouTube - Windows Phone 7 multitasking demo

Also, I'm always on the internet and i'm worried that IE won't cut it in terms of experience before IE9 comes to the phone "later this year" which I'm also worried about since NoDo is also taking forever for people.

I'm also not sure if i'm in love with the device. I was hoping for a large screen and more features like hotspot and maybe faster processor but i've never had those so I can't say i'm in dire need of them, but they'd be nice to have. I really don't want awesome hardware to come out in a 2-3 months. I know it's the tech world and I can't say "5+ months from now" because theres always stuff coming out but I do want to use my upgrade and it doesn't seem like Sprint or anyone else is announcing anything soon.

Anyone help me out? I'm up for upgrade on April 1!

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Wp7 doesn't really need top of the line or state of the art hardware to run smoothly unlike Android or webPOS. the current version of IE works fine for everything I need to do with wla web browser. I make my posts on here from it because I don't want to pay for board express and I can use Facebook chat from it. (Only mobile browser to render it) and when IE9 hits its goin to be the best mobile browser if it already isn't. So go ahead and go for it. U will not regret the purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: VernonEL

Eject_Porkins

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I had an original launch day Sprint Pre and switched to the Arrive last week. I loved webOS but the lack of new hardware anytime soon was a bummer. Even if the Pre3 finds its way to Sprint, I wanted to try a different form factor.

With that being said, I love the Arrive. Sure, it has its quirks, but the OS is just so damn silky smooth and fast. I don't miss the cards too much since the phone is so fast at opening one app from the next. Compared to an over-clocked Pre minus, this thing has virtually no lag. The little animations are cool too. Also, the app store, even in its infancy now, blows the Palm app store away.

I really like the Zune software as well. If you haven't tried it yet, download it onto your computer. It'll add your itunes library with ease and you can even set your phone up to sync wirelessly.

I say pull the trigger now. I wouldn't expect any new Windows Phone 7 devices to come out on Sprint anytime soon, and there's no guarantee Sprint will get a new webOS device in the Summer. There's always Ebay and Craigs list if you don't like the phone. I gotta say, it's nice to have some decent hardware in my hand for a change.

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
As a Pre minus owner myself, just forewarning, you will get scared and think of returning the Arrive the same day, don't be. Let it grow on you and it will.

Now it's my crack addiction. And my pre minus is my alarm clock/angry birds player/ random internet device

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry about the lack of multitasking as it will be here within 3 to 6 months. Multitasking already exists in some form so its not bad doin without it but it will be worth the wait once it comes. Whatever opportunity u have to leave palm webPOS u should take it and this is one of them.

Your immaturity shines again. Cant even say why webOS sucks just say its webPOS. Lmao you are sad... Let me tell you this there is nothing about webOS that sucks except for the lack of apps. Any person here who had a Pre will tell you that. The only thing that trully sucked was the hardware than ran it. Which is why it ran slow on the Pre and Pre + without being overclocked. webOS 2.0 on the other hand on the 1GHZ Pre 2 is just as fast or faster than WP7. Don't hate unless you actually know what you are talking about.

That being said WP7 will hopefully have multitasking by winter this year. They said FALL which is minimum 6 months away. So it could be 7-9 months. I just hope its worth the wait along with other minor updates.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Your immaturity shines again. Cant even say why webOS sucks just say its webPOS. Lmao you are sad... Let me tell you this there is nothing about webOS that sucks except for the lack of apps. Any person here who had a Pre will tell you that. The only thing that trully sucked was the hardware than ran it. Which is why it ran slow on the Pre and Pre + without being overclocked. webOS 2.0 on the other hand on the 1GHZ Pre 2 is just as fast or faster than WP7. Don't hate unless you actually know what you are talking about.

That being said WP7 will hopefully have multitasking by winter this year. They said FALL which is minimum 6 months away. So it could be 7-9 months. I just hope its worth the wait along with other minor updates.

ur the one who is immature if small things are bothering u and if u are taking my webPOS bashing to heart. Get over it no es para tanto pollito

SolidusMox

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
My Arrive will be delivered today. I am looking forward to messing around with it. I will miss webos and Preware. My wife is holding out for the Pre 3. I didn't want to wait.

I am also hoping that MS plays nice with homebrew.

I am looking into a good alternative to Stitcher and Pandora. These were by far my most used apps.

mock19

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The Arrive is probably my favorite phone ever that have I owned. I've had Blackberry and Android in the past.

I like the live tiles, and the messaging/alerts that show up on them.

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
ur the one who is immature if small things are bothering u and if u are taking my webPOS bashing to heart. Get over it no es para tanto pollito

They aren't small buddy lol... Not one bit. Also like I said before you are the one who gets offended by someone pointing out mishaps in your beloved OS. I am calling you immature because you have nothing to back up your statement about webPOS. At least I did about WP7 and once again they were not minor. Because once you add them all up it becomes one big annoyance hence why I returned the device as well as others in the Precentral forums.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I am in THE SAME boat as you. I have the same concerns and I also have a Palm Pre that is struggling and doesn't seem to want to even load text messages sometimes. I always thought the Pre had the best multitasking though and I anticipate I will miss that the most although this video below starting at 3:00 shows webOS-like multitasking.

YouTube - Windows Phone 7 multitasking demo

Also, I'm always on the internet and i'm worried that IE won't cut it in terms of experience before IE9 comes to the phone "later this year" which I'm also worried about since NoDo is also taking forever for people.

I'm also not sure if i'm in love with the device. I was hoping for a large screen and more features like hotspot and maybe faster processor but i've never had those so I can't say i'm in dire need of them, but they'd be nice to have. I really don't want awesome hardware to come out in a 2-3 months. I know it's the tech world and I can't say "5+ months from now" because theres always stuff coming out but I do want to use my upgrade and it doesn't seem like Sprint or anyone else is announcing anything soon.

Anyone help me out? I'm up for upgrade on April 1!

I think you have two basic choices: The first is to buy the phone outright and have no contract to be locked into and the other is to do a one year upgrade if Sprint offers such. I have had major success in buying the phone off eBay and resellling for almost what I paid for it when my next toy shows up.

mock19

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
They aren't small buddy lol... Not one bit. Also like I said before you are the one who gets offended by someone pointing out mishaps in your beloved OS. I am calling you immature because you have nothing to back up your statement about webPOS. At least I did about WP7 and once again they were not minor. Because once you add them all up it becomes one big annoyance hence why I returned the device as well as others in the Precentral forums.

Do you ever have anything nice to say? Every single thread you post in is a complaint or a flame. Seriously...stop crying. No one owes you any explanation or justification for their opinion.

Oranges are better than apples.

Last edited:

onemadrssn

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered the Arrive myself and I am going to be (reluctantly) leaving behind my Pixi+. I cannot stress how wonderful webOS is to use day to day. The multi-tasking is absolutely phenomenal, best-in-class by far. The notifications, the UI layout, synergy are all also great. I am defiantely going to miss it, but unfrotunately the slowness and laggyness of the feeble pixi hardware are just no longer acceptable. All the nay-sayers have clearly never given it a fair chance, or somehow feel threatened by it. Why the hostility otherwise? No one is being hostile towards your OS of choice.

That being said I do not have faith in HP; I vote with my money and my vote goes to MS/HTC. I am worried about the initial lack of true multi-tasking. I took the plunge... cannot wait for the new phone to ... arrive!

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you ever have anything nice to say? Every single thread you post in is a complaint or a flame. Seriously...stop crying. No one owes you any explanation or justification for their opinion.

Oranges are better than apples.

Read all my posts before you make such a premature statement. I just helped everyone in another thread on which screen protector to buy for the arrive. I'm not a flamer ok damn.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss