HTC Arrive's Cellular settings...

dreamcast87

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
My web browsing experience on the phone hasn't been so good since i got it so I went in the "cellular Sprint settings" and made these changes

1. Data roaming options "don't roam"
2. Network type"home network only"
3. Made sure to update your network profile afterwards

I've found this to make my 3G connection much faster for web browsing and data usage in general. Has anyone else played around with these settings?

itsall4tay

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Had exact same experience. Phone also got longer battery life and stayed cool while browsing. Still warm during long phone call though.

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I will have to do a speed test tomorrow and see if this difference is real. I can see the longer battery life/cooler running while surfing web if it is essentially able to power down more of its stuff due to these settings.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
My web browsing experience on the phone hasn't been so good since i got it so I went in the "cellular Sprint settings" and made these changes

3. Made sure to update your network profile afterwards
Can you explain this one. Is that a setting.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
Can you explain this one. Is that a setting.
I think doing that is to keep your phone up-to-date on all the cell towers or whatever. On Verizon, we used to dial *228 to do it.

Anyway, I assume "home network only" stops all roaming; when you switch it from "automatic," it actually changes your Data roaming to "don't roam" and disables the option. That would definitely save battery since when it hits a dead spot and thinks you're off-network it turns off those connections instead of switching back and forth. I'm not sure how it would improve browsing though...

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification. When I search for networks with my AT&T Surround, I see T-Mobile and AT&T M (or something like that). Been keeping it on Automaic with roaming turned off. I use WiFi while in the house all day, as my 3G or 3G+ signal (HSDPA) will jump from barely a bar to sometimes 4 bars. But usually 1 or 2. So WiFi is much faster. Would love to turn off 3G while in the house, but the tweak I tried only added the toggle, but it does not stick when you activate it. Focus users apparently can do it, but no other AT&T phones. Don't know why carriers disable things like this. Other carriers do have the 3G switch.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Would love to turn off 3G while in the house, but the tweak I tried only added the toggle, but it does not stick when you activate it. Focus users apparently can do it, but no other AT&T phones. Don't know why carriers disable things like this. Other carriers do have the 3G switch.

Other carrier have the 3G switch because they are meter billed. With Sprint still offering "unlimited" we really dont need to control the data through the 3G ant.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Other carrier have the 3G switch because they are meter billed. With Sprint still offering "unlimited" we really dont need to control the data through the 3G ant.
Ok, true. But I don't think each AT&T WP7 phone knows your data plan and sets features accordingly. I could just as easily have a 200MB cap rather than unlimited. All 3G and 3G+ do is allow you to download faster, but not necessarially more data. The downside is these bands eat more battery (4G even more), so having the ability to turn off 3G when you don't need it should be an option, regardless of data plan.

disposed

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok, true. But I don't think each AT&T WP7 phone knows your data plan and sets features accordingly. I could just as easily have a 200MB cap rather than unlimited. All 3G and 3G+ do is allow you to download faster, but not necessarially more data. The downside is these bands eat more battery (4G even more), so having the ability to turn off 3G when you don't need it should be an option, regardless of data plan.

Using slower connections (1x) uses much more battery than 3g if theres any sort of data usage. The only time 3g uses more battery is when its 100% not in use otherwise its far more efficient.

On a smartphone its never a good idea to turn 3g off entirely.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Using slower connections (1x) uses much more battery than 3g if theres any sort of data usage. The only time 3g uses more battery is when its 100% not in use otherwise its far more efficient.

On a smartphone its never a good idea to turn 3g off entirely.
Sounds logical. But all that will happen in the background are some email headers and maybe the occasional live tile update or push notifications. Nothing that heavy. The heavy stuff happens after I wake up the phone and WiFi kicks in. Would still like to try it out and evaluate for myself, if for nothing else but to satisfy my own curiosity. Of course, if I was away from WiFi I would turn 3G back on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro