160+ sms

jake8188

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to type beyond 160 on the arrive. It bothers me how my old slider phone could do it and just split it into separate text. Every carrier seems to be able to but sprint. Maybe a texting app?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised texts still have 160 character limits.

And the Arrive really can't split a long text into two parts? That's strange.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Definitely not a restriction of WP7. Someone (probably Sprint) decided the Arrive should have the 160 limit. Will be interesting the see if the Trophy (come on VZ) will have a similar restriction.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
the character limit is on all phones pretty much, if you send 162 characters on my focus, it shows as one, but really counts as two messages.

cdma is really the issue... because non of the gsm devices on at&t or t-mobile make you create another message. on other platforms (blackberry), there are apps that can split it for you.

i think it has to do w/ the os and cdma vs. cdma only. there are some devices on cdma that do it automatically, i believe. i have sprint and i believe my pre splits it up. can't remember.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
just did a test w/ my pre and it does split the message up autmotically... shows how much are being sent by the send button.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
When I used my old HTC Touch Pro (WinMo 6.1) with Alltel (CDMA), I always had longer messages split up into two messages for the recipient without ever having to even think about it.

Sent from my flippin' sweet Quantum using Board Express

jake8188

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
i know it is weird, my evo 4g could do it, bb couldn't, and now my arrive cant... i wonder if there is some way around it because i text a lot and i hate having to look up to see if i am over 160

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
The 160 character limit is because of how SMS works. It is actually embedding data in the gsm carrier signal. There is actually zero cost to the carriers for an SMS. Anyway, I have to imagine it is the carrier. AT&T just auto splits.

strictlystyles

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
it is the carrier, but only specific to the phone. Ive had a few sprint and Verizon phones that did and didnt split sms's up. Namely the Palm pre and my old treo. My verizon blackberry and htc arrive dont do it. Its most likely the carriers fault.

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to go hunting in the registry as soon as I get the official developer unlock on my Arrive. Hopefully it's just a simple 0 to 1 on the registry

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
There is another thread discussing this same subject. Do a search next time, please. Apparently Sprint selectively imposes the 160 limit on certain phones and not others. WP7 phones on other networks automatically create a second message at 161. Ask Sprint.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Whoops....didnt realize I was reading the first post in this thread. Never mind.

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
A kind of workaround I found was to use Google Voice. But the GoVoice App crashes sometimes when you go past 160, but I have definitely was able to send a 160+ before.

drezzzzy

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I am an employee of Sprint. The 160 character limit is not something that is being imposed by Sprint. The device was intended to automatically create a new message if 160 characters are exceeded (this is explained on pg. 83 of the HTC Arrive User Guide). This has been recognized as a known issue and Sprint has asked Microsoft to address this issue in a future update.

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I am an employee of Sprint. The 160 character limit is not something that is being imposed by Sprint. The device was intended to automatically create a new message if 160 characters are exceeded (this is explained on pg. 83 of the HTC Arrive User Guide). This has been recognized as a known issue and Sprint has asked Microsoft to address this issue in a future update.

Damn! Beat me to the punch on my own Microsoft Answers thread!

Here's the link guys if you want to see it yourself
160 Character limit for txt messages on HTC Arrive? - Microsoft Answers

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
That surprising. Why would HTC/Microsoft change the way texts work on this model only.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
According to WinPhoneSupport its a feature. That sounds on purpose to me.

reading through all of that makes it *painfully* obvious that there was a misunderstanding of the issue. anyone who thinks that is a limitation of sprint is just trolling. I've never had a sprint phone ever that didnt split up until now. even the horrible mistake Instinct could at least do that right.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
That surprising. Why would HTC/Microsoft change the way texts work on this model only.

Seems like much more of a hardware issue so I doubt MS had much say. It's puzzling why HTC would release a phone that didn't have such a basic feature.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss