Bing Maps any good?

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I haven't yet got my phone in the mail, but in a review someone mentioned that they didn't know why anyone would use Sprints GPS telenav b/c they could use Bing Maps. Is Bing Maps better (does it give you voice direction) or is it just like Google Maps?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
The maps program that comes with WP7 is nice very good for searching and offers turn by turn directions but not voice directions. When combined with Telenav it makes a great GPC search combo. I use Telenav when navigating and maps for everything else. This maps program is not Bing Maps though we are still waiting for MS to release a Bing Maps app for WP7. Some say that the Bing maps app will include the Nokia mapping program if so that will be one sweet mapping and GPS program. Some where around here there is a video preview but I would have to look around to find it.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Also depends on where you live. Bing Maps works great in the US and certain parts of the world. However, there are a few countries where mapping could be dramatically improved. However, despite what some may say, Bing Maps is not complete garbage outside the US. I've heard users from Germany and the UK say Bing Maps works quite well there (even though all you usually hear is how much it sucks EVERYWHERE). But when Bing Maps gets integrated into Ovimaps later this year, haters will have to find a new reason to hate Bing.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I guess it depends on what you're used to and what device you are coming from. As someone coming from Android (Evo), I think Bing Maps is nowhere near as robust as Google Maps with Google Navigation. Sure, Bing Maps works fine, is nice and smooth, and Telenav is actually a decent alternative to Google Navigation... but the nice integration that Google Maps had with all levels of Android cannot currently be replicated on WP7. Add to that the fact that the Bing Maps basemap is severely lacking when compared to the Google Maps basemap (see here for detailed analysis - there's actually a ton of great content on that site re: bing maps and google maps and web mapping in general) and I'm firmly in the "Bing Maps is fine but not great" camp. I'll probably like it more as I get used to it (and as I use it more; frankly, I haven't used it much since getting my arrive).

What I'm REALLY looking forward to, though, is what happens with Ovi Maps on WP7. I've been playing around with maps.ovi.com and I'm pretty impressed. I'm excited to see what happens with this Microsoft/Nokia partnership. It just seems to get better every time I read about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99