HTC Arrive and outlook Sync

pdsaz

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I am really leaning towards getting an arrive but there may be a deal breaker for me. I absolutely must have it sync my contacts from outlook. I am aware of the hotmail connector but, it does not really sync with my main contacts folder and same goes for the calendar. Anyone have work around or experience with this?

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I added my main live account from my Arrive to the outlook connector. Your live email, contact, and calendar show up in outlook. If you want to keep them separate, then you can do that. The calendars can be overlayed.

What I did was copy all my contacts and calendar entries to the live account in outlook. Then I went into Account Settings under the Data Files tab and set the live account as default (it says "Not Available" but don't worry about that). Under the Email tab in Account settings, I made sure my work email was set as default. It works exactly the way I want. The live calendar and contacts work just like they're local data files.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You can do as Rhody explained, which will work fine. The only other alternative would be to use an Exchange service to sync your Outlook data. I have seen services for $4.95/m, but maybe you can find something even cheaper. Once in the Cloud you can sync your data with anything.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
You can do as Rhody explained, which will work fine. The only other alternative would be to use an Exchange service to sync your Outlook data. I have seen services for $4.95/m, but maybe you can find something even cheaper. Once in the Cloud you can sync your data with anything.

Also keep in mind that an Exchange service will also require you to have your own domain with associated hosting costs. That beng said, I've been paying for my own domain and a hosted Exchange account since WM5 days and I think it's well worth it. I have a completely secure, private, ad-free email experience. There is no data-mining, no targeted banners or pop-ups, no bot reading all of my email conversations. And my spam filter is absolutely top-notch. It's to the point where I've forgotten what spam even is. I realize that for most people it's an extravagant expense, but for me I can never go back.

-R

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I was talking about an Exchange hosting service, where you simply pay the $4.95/and they take care of everything else. Sync with your desktop Outlook and send that data to your phone. Tried a 30 day trial with my Tilt2, but it was not worth the $60/year to me. Using Outlook less every day now, with most all my PIM info on the phone & Live.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Also keep in mind that an Exchange service will also require you to have your own domain with associated hosting costs. That beng said, I've been paying for my own domain and a hosted Exchange account since WM5 days and I think it's well worth it. I have a completely secure, private, ad-free email experience. There is no data-mining, no targeted banners or pop-ups, no bot reading all of my email conversations. And my spam filter is absolutely top-notch. It's to the point where I've forgotten what spam even is. I realize that for most people it's an extravagant expense, but for me I can never go back.

-R

I did the same thing when I had WM. Exchange is a great product if you need secure email, allowing other people to see your availability, sharepoint, etc. So if you use all that, then it's worth the expense. For me, I don't need that level of sophistication. I just need to sync my calendar and contacts. Gmail sync and outlook connector are surprisingly good.

I don't ever look at my google or live accounts in a Web browser anymore. Everything I need is in Outlook or on my phone.

You can get spam with any email address. There was an email host that got attacked about a month or two ago, and they were the host for many very big companies. I started to get spam in a bunch of my email accounts and still do. I don't know how Exchange would stop that.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I did the same thing when I had WM. Exchange is a great product if you need secure email, allowing other people to see your availability, sharepoint, etc. So if you use all that, then it's worth the expense. For me, I don't need that level of sophistication. I just need to sync my calendar and contacts. Gmail sync and outlook connector are surprisingly good.

I don't ever look at my google or live accounts in a Web browser anymore. Everything I need is in Outlook or on my phone.

You can get spam with any email address. There was an email host that got attacked about a month or two ago, and they were the host for many very big companies. I started to get spam in a bunch of my email accounts and still do. I don't know how Exchange would stop that.

Of course spam is always a threat; but I think Exchange hosting companies might have more robust spam filters than a lot of free email clients. I'm not sure how good Google Mail's spam filter is (I've heard much better than Yahoo), but I can only speak from the 4 years I've paid for Exchange hosting-- I get NO spam, and I use my email address everwhere (including several of the companies that were using the compromised host last month). Maybe that just means I've been lucky, but AFAIK my Yahoo mail has never been compromised and it attracts spam like flies to honey.

I fully agree that Exchange hosting is way overboard for 98% of people. Truthfully I don't *need* it; I only use the 4 basic PIM functions-- email, calendar, contacts, and tasks. And I never access OWA from a browser either; Outlook on my home computer or my phone are the only access methods for me as well. Nonetheless, I appreciate the robustness of the system.

And, frankly, I have peace of mind that Google, Yahoo, or MS is not scanning my email content to sell me ads or other questionable practices. I also feel better knowing that my contacts' personal info is not out there amongst the free providers. Maybe I'm being naive in thinking that a paid Exchange host is more secure than free Gmail, Yahoo, or Hotmail. Does anyone have any thoughts about that issue?

-R

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
could someone explain how i sync my hotmail contacts?
thanks
Your Hotmail contacts are connected to your Live ID. So once you enter your Live ID on the phone all your contacts automatically sync and a mail account is setup for your Hotmail address. Do you have more than one Hotmail account?

tdc01slm

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
It is makes no sense that you have to sync with Windows Live with your Outlook before you can sync your HTC Titan. The only reason I purcahsed the HTC Titan is for Outlook and it appears that this has made it just that much more complicated. Please tell I am missing something and it is much easier than it appears.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire