LED notifications

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
jeez people calm down Como un demonio! the LED light isn't a big deal everything is on the lock screen and when u pull out ur phone ur likely to turn it on anyway. as for the 160 thing, is it that much harder to hit send and then keep typing? I've done this since march and people don't seem to notice, the messages arrive faster and in order too.

Reactions: Rhody#WP

Devilstar

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm a small engine mechanic and don't keep my phone in my pocket, it sits on my bench, and itd be nice to have a flashy led to let me know I need to check my phone vrs needlessly getting my phone dirty just in case...
the 160 thing was brought up because like the led notification, it was in the instruction manual, and was omitted from the phone.. We just want the features promised to us is all

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm about to come from a Nexus back to the Arrive which I used to own before. The Nexus reception is God awful! But anyways my question is has the 160 text limit bug been fixed? This was the #1 annoying thing to me along with not being able to set a keyboard back light timeout. I am happy though either way to be coming back to this phone as the Nexus was pure ****. I went through 4 of them since May and finally Sprint ordered me a "comparable model" even though I feel like I'm downgrading a bit with the smaller screen...

comwom

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
On each Sprint phone I've had, including Nokias and Samsungs, I have never been able to send a text message of more than 160 characters.
Sprint Palm Pre splits long texts into multiple SMS. And it has LED notifications - long pulse for email, two short pulses for texts. So it's not a Sprint thing, sounds like an HTC thing b/c other WP7 phones have LED notifications.

failmatic

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Bug: would not allow to input more than 160 character before hitting send.
Not bug: allow to input more than 160 characters before hitting send. Split messages into multiple thread using the equation 160/#of characters = #sms rounded to the nearest whole number. Every phone i owned prior does this. It makes sense.

In this case, Mango does not allow me to send an sms more than 160 characters because "MESSAGE TO LONG" seems to be a WP implementation, which is more than poor oversight. Its deliberate, not bug. They should fix it because who the fvck want to stop typing a tirade to press send and type another one.

Back on topic now.
So no LED notifications for HTC phones then. What an important feature to leave out. I rather havea blinking led than to turn on the screen to check.
The sound/vibration alert is an OS thing, not a carrier thing. Carrier doesn't do much other than force un-installable apps, delay updates release and take your money. Just like how WP doesn't let you have separate media volume and notification volume. Just like how you can patch webOS to have 2s vibrate vs .5s vibrate.

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
LED control for notifications would be a SMART control - I do know my HTC Arrive has ability to use 2 colors of LED - so far I've seen Green when fully charged, and Red when charging. Would it be so difficult to have different colors as well as control over the LED for different notifications?

I too leave my phone on the desk while at work. If I knew a green double blink meant incoming call I could flip the lock screen to see if It was an urgent call to answer or allow it to go to voicemail. A red single blink would tell me there is a voice mail. Once checked the blink would stop until the next voice mail came in. A yellow double blink could indicate an email received. A white double blink would be incoming text.

LED notices are much less intrusive in an office environment; less so than even vibrations or soft tones. I disdain people who are constantly texting, tweeting and talking on their cell phones while at work (much as I disdain smokers who usurp scads of company time for a nicotine fix - while non-smokers have to take up their slack); however I recognize that there are occasions when people need personal communications and an LED notice would be ideal.

HappyPalm

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I like being able to look at my phone from a distance and see if there's a new notification via the LED light (I currently own a Palm - WebOS).

It's much more efficient I think to just glance at the phone rather than having to turn the screen on all the time to check for notifications. I'd really like a WP when I switch from WebOS, but this feature is a must have.

If you'd like to vote on this, click here and let Windows know: Blinking LED notification for Missed Calls Email SMS Bluetooth

Update: I'm loving my Windows Phone--even without the LED notification. It's not so bad just turning the lock screen on to check for messages. :)

Last edited:

Me2

Jun 29, 2002
Visit site
jeez people calm down Como un demonio! the LED light isn't a big deal everything is on the lock screen and when u pull out ur phone ur likely to turn it on anyway.
Just because you don't see a need for it doesn't mean it's not a very useful feature for others. I'm used to all my phones giving visual notification on new activity, be that on the coffee table at home, desk or meetings at work, or anywhere else where an audio signal would be intrusive. Turning on the phone and screen to check is lame, and also wastes precious battery - something most WP7 phones don't have much to spare.

as for the 160 thing, is it that much harder to hit send and then keep typing? I've done this since march and people don't seem to notice, the messages arrive faster and in order too.
Yes. It interrupts the flow, and you have to hang around while the phone transmits the message. SMS is supposed to be quick and instant, and I can't see why they would do that by design when auto-splitting is an accepted behaviour on even the cheapest most basic mobiles.

In this case, Mango does not allow me to send an sms more than 160 characters because "MESSAGE TO LONG" seems to be a WP implementation, which is more than poor oversight. Its deliberate, not bug. They should fix it because who the fvck want to stop typing a tirade to press send and type another one.
Not a WP7 or Mango issue. My GSM HTC 7 Pro splits them fine. I suspect it's a bug or oversight in the CDMA firmware of the Arrive, as that's the only real difference between the two?

Sprint Palm Pre splits long texts into multiple SMS. And it has LED notifications - long pulse for email, two short pulses for texts. So it's not a Sprint thing, sounds like an HTC thing b/c other WP7 phones have LED notifications.
Wasn't aware of any WP7 having LED notifications, examples?

API is locked down, and will be until further notice.
http://www.windowscentral.com/no-led-api-available-developers
That refers to the camera (flashlight) LED, not the status/notification LED.

If you'd like to vote on this, click here and let Windows know: Blinking LED notification for Missed Calls Email SMS Bluetooth
Voted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro