Sprint Dealer Re-explains $10 charge

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
(b) I'm sorry, you do not tell me to stop complaining. That you have to continually explain why the fee is okay and why Sprint is still a good value shows how ridiculous the fee is. It should be integrated into the plan price. It's as simple as that.

It is is it? So what if I don't have a smart phone but still want unlimited data? It's like saying dial up should cost as much as broadband so you don't have to use your brain

I don't care about your clear Sprint-centric bias, nor your haphazard explanation of the fee. Sprint is charging an extra fee for no extra features on 3G phones. You talk about the cap and everything--that's great, whatever. But if Sprint were truly customer-centric, they would have charged only 4G smartphones the extra fee, as they did previously, and continue allowing unlimited data. Or they could have changed the fees for new customers.

pray tell, whats the difference between 3g and 4g? the fee is about amount of data being used not the speed at which its downloaded.

What do you mean "continue allowing unlimited data"? It is unlimited.

If caps and throttling doesn't matter to you then just go to TMO or ATT. Just don't go over the cap on ATT because its either 15 bucks for every 200mb over 200 or 10 for every 1gb over depending on your plan. I'm already well into the hole if I had that service instead of Sprints 10 bucks for nothing plan.

disposed

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I think both sides need to stop being stubborn and take a look at things from both perspectives. The $10 fee is really not that big of a deal, sprint is still the cheapest and still the only ones with real unlimited data. However the way they popped the fee retroactively with little to no warning was a bit bad.

I think a LOT of the problem came from third party retailers continuously calling it the "4G fee".

gizmo_guy

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Only with ATT. Everyone else just throttles.

That was a major part of my original point. Sprint is the only one of the four major carriers that actually offers real unlimited data. Everyone else caps or throttles. Yet if you look at most of the forums, you would think that Sprint put a gun to people's heads and forced them to pay the extra fee.

I do not disagree that the fee came as a suprise but they did warn people. There was a bill insert (required by law) and there were notices in the retail stores. I agree that having a separate premium data fee seems kinda dumb.

That being said. I doubt any of you can argue with my premise that even with an extra data fee, Sprint still offers the best value offered today, short of goint to one of their prepaid brands.

As a customer (no I dont use a dealer line on any of my phones) I can understand the frustration that some of you feel. I also send feedback to my account manager based off of information that I see when using forums. Hopefully, at some point, that feedback will benefit all of us.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I thought this charge was just for 4G phones?

The $10 Premium Data add-on previously only applied to 3G/4G devices, but it was never simply a charge for 4G.
The charge has always been to address the increased costs associated with operating smartphones on the Sprint network.

Sprint Community: Plans: What's there to know about the $10 Premium Data Add-on for Smartphones?

now please stop suggesting that this should be a fee for just 4g because that makes no sense. 4G coverage isn't even that great yet. What? leave 4g coverage and your magically not charged the 10 bucks anymore?

Also, please clarify the retroactive without warning statements as it only seems to have taken place after a swap or new activation or upgrade.. at which point you were probably made aware.

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
There seems to be a lot of debate over what is really pretty well documented. I will set this straight in the form of a story.

The history of Sprints premium data charge:

Sprint CEO: "There will be no additional fee for 4G data plans - if anything it should cost less, since it costs us less. Mark my words, no premium data charge for 4G phones"

Sprint Announcement: "Evo 4G now availible, $10 premium data charge because it is 4G"

Sprint Customers: "CEO said there wouldn't be a charge for 4G"

Sprint Internally: "Ah! Why did you say that CEO! Now we got to re-word this to not make you look like a lier."

Sprint Announcement/Customer Service: "The Evo 4G is subject to a premium data fee, not because it is 4G, but because of its fast processor and large screen which allows you to use more media. Our studies show that with the Evo 4G customers will use 35% more data a month."

Sprint Internally: "You know, our prices are low compared to competitors. Why don't we just throw this fee on all 3G/4G smart phones on new contracts? Sounds great."

Sprint Announcement: "Going forward all new contracts with 3G/4G smartphones require a premium data plan of $10. Furthermore we are getting rid of tons of benefits we use to give our long time customers."

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, who cares if they did say it was 4G and now they say it's not. Btw, they never said it was a 4G fee. They always said it was for the additional features that would be used more. They EVO 4G brought a front facing camera and a larger screen that definitely used more data when loading up apps and web pages.

You all complain because Sprint added a $10 fee? C'mon! I'm paying for 4 lines, all with data plans on my AT&T account and if I did on Sprint, even with the $10 fee, it would be hundreds in savings per year. My Sprint line doesn't have this fee and I've had the Pre since day 1 and never changed it. If I change my primary line on AT&T, I have to go with a 2GB cap vs. unlimited that I have right now. Yet, you all are complaining about paying less for unlimited when I pay more for limited?

Where are they gonna get the money to put up new towers and/or roaming agreements? Where will they get the money for phone exclusives? Most sprint customers already cry about not getting all the best devices like AT&T & Verizon. You want everything, but want to pay nothing extra. In America, it doesn't work that way.

I have no issues with the fee from Sprint, no matter what it's for and will gladly pay it! $10 is reasonable for what you get on Sprint. Free Navigation which they charge for on both AT&T and Verizon. ESPN Mobile or whatever they have now for football!

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
There seems to be a lot of debate over what is really pretty well documented. I will set this straight in the form of a story.

The history of Sprints premium data charge:

Sprint CEO: "There will be no additional fee for 4G data plans - if anything it should cost less, since it costs us less. Mark my words, no premium data charge for 4G phones"

Sprint Announcement: "Evo 4G now availible, $10 premium data charge because it is 4G"

Sprint Customers: "CEO said there wouldn't be a charge for 4G"

Sprint Internally: "Ah! Why did you say that CEO! Now we got to re-word this to not make you look like a lier."

Sprint Announcement/Customer Service: "The Evo 4G is subject to a premium data fee, not because it is 4G, but because of its fast processor and large screen which allows you to use more media. Our studies show that with the Evo 4G customers will use 35% more data a month."

Sprint Internally: "You know, our prices are low compared to competitors. Why don't we just throw this fee on all 3G/4G smart phones on new contracts? Sounds great."

Sprint Announcement: "Going forward all new contracts with 3G/4G smartphones require a premium data plan of $10. Furthermore we are getting rid of tons of benefits we use to give our long time customers."

Who are you quoting?

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Who are you quoting?

I was just giving a replay of pretty much what happened. I've been following this pretty religiously, and this is how I remember it.

That having been said, I don't really care. Sucks for some people, but I pay $40 a month to have an HTC Arrive with:

500 anytime
Unlimited mobile to mobile
Unlimited Nights/Weekends
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Data
+ More

So I'm not complaining, but just telling it as I remember it.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I was just giving a replay of pretty much what happened. I've been following this pretty religiously, and this is how I remember it.

That having been said, I don't really care. Sucks for some people, but I pay $40 a month to have an HTC Arrive with:

500 anytime
Unlimited mobile to mobile
Unlimited Nights/Weekends
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Data
+ More

So I'm not complaining, but just telling it as I remember it.

Great. So why are people still calling it a charge/fee for 4g? I don't see how anyone could whine about this 10 dollar add on but not complain about what ATT is doing with their plans either. esp the iPhone

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Great. So why are people still calling it a charge/fee for 4g? I don't see how anyone could whine about this 10 dollar add on but not complain about what ATT is doing with their plans either. esp the iPhone

Well it does get a little deeper.

See, for example, on Sero if I want to add a 4G device, the price goes up another $10/month, so people still could technically argue that there is a $10 4G premium.

But the reason why people are saying it is really mostly Sprint's fault. They weren't sure what they wanted to call it and what phones it would apply to - they just knew they wanted to start charging lots of new customers more money. Sprint has several times changed the terms of that 4G charge and who/what it applies to. So they are the ones that made it confusing.

So I understand why people are saying it, but this is really an issue of 6months to a year ago. Nothing has really changed in the past while, and so there isn't really much to discuss at this point.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Well it does get a little deeper.

See, for example, on Sero if I want to add a 4G device, the price goes up another $10/month, so people still could technically argue that there is a $10 4G premium.

But the reason why people are saying it is really mostly Sprint's fault. They weren't sure what they wanted to call it and what phones it would apply to - they just knew they wanted to start charging lots of new customers more money. Sprint has several times changed the terms of that 4G charge and who/what it applies to. So they are the ones that made it confusing.

So I understand why people are saying it, but this is really an issue of 6months to a year ago. Nothing has really changed in the past while, and so there isn't really much to discuss at this point.

You're right that Sprint made it confusing. I went from a Palm Pixi to an Evo, and they told me I had to pay $10/month for 4G and visual voicemail. I was fine with that. Then, I went back to the Palm Pixi and they told me I had to pay $10/month for "premium data."

The other reason Sprint makes it confusing is they say the "everything data" plans have "unlimited data." Then they charge you $10/month more for "premium data." If "everything data" and "unlimited data" don't include "premium data," then they're neither "everything" nor "unlimited."

I don't know what AT&T calls their plans, but I know Sprint is misleading with the names of their plans.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
This is bait and switch, pure and simple. Where on all of their commercials does it list the cost of how amazing the smartphone plans are and then say "But also another $10 fee per device!" Unless I missed it, it doesn't. If you go to Sprint.com, add a plan, then choose a device (still doesn't show the fee), THEN you move forward only then does it force the fee. They need to just roll it into the cost and be done, the way they did it just leaves a bitter taste and looks underhanded. It's essentially false advertising.

Last edited:

disposed

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
This is bait and switch, pure and simple. Where on all of their commercials does it list the cost of how amazing the smartphone plans are and then say "But also another $10 fee per device!" Unless I missed it, it doesn't. If you go to Sprint.com, add a plan, then choose a device (still doesn't show the fee), THEN you move forward only then does it force the fee. They need to just roll it into the cost and be done, the way they did it just leaves a bitter taste and looks underhanded. It's essentially false advertising.

When you choose your plan this is shown at the bottom.

Next, you'll pick service add-ons for each device. If you picked a smartphone, our $10 Premium Data add-on charge will apply.

Its not false advertising. You cannot pick a plan without being warned about the fee.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
There is a difference between Sprint saying it was a 4G charge and reps saying it. Sprint has never said it. I get misled by a lot of AT&T reps and I know it because I worked as a manager for them. It's an add-on fee when you change equipment because they don't want you being able to get out of your contract. So for new new activation/upgrade, the $10 fee will be added.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
When you choose your plan this is shown at the bottom.

Its not false advertising. You cannot pick a plan without being warned about the fee.

Fair enough, however of all the phones listed after I choose the unlimited plan which of them is NOT a 3G phone where I wouldn't have to pay the fee? I didn't go through them all but it seems to me if the vast majority of devices are 3G then just bundle it into the price. Or have a separate plan altogether for smartphones since it's ridiculous to pay for unlimited data on all lines in a family plan when some phones are basic (as in my case). Basically there seem to be plenty of ways this could've been done better.

disposed

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough, however of all the phones listed after I choose the unlimited plan which of them is NOT a 3G phone where I wouldn't have to pay the fee? I didn't go through them all but it seems to me if the vast majority of devices are 3G then just bundle it into the price. Or have a separate plan altogether for smartphones since it's ridiculous to pay for unlimited data on all lines in a family plan when some phones are basic (as in my case). Basically there seem to be plenty of ways this could've been done better.

Like has been explained, its not a 4g fee so finding a 3g phone wont help you. Its a smartphone fee, so if you pick a smartphone, 3g or not you WILL get the fee, period.

There is absolutely NO reason you cannot get the "everything messaging" family plan and add the unlimited data to the line or lines you need.

It would seem to me you are creating issues that dont really exist and have not really done your homework on this yet argue anyway. Pretty much everything you have said has been wrong. I dont mean to sound harsh but you really dont seem like you have looked into this at all.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Like has been explained, its not a 4g fee so finding a 3g phone wont help you. Its a smartphone fee, so if you pick a smartphone, 3g or not you WILL get the fee, period.

There is absolutely NO reason you cannot get the "everything messaging" family plan and add the unlimited data to the line or lines you need.

It would seem to me you are creating issues that dont really exist and have not really done your homework on this yet argue anyway. Pretty much everything you have said has been wrong. I dont mean to sound harsh but you really dont seem like you have looked into this at all.

My bad, I meant 3G as in "smartphone". But see this is the point, it's not obvious till you get near the end. Not until you choose a device (is this one I don't know!?!? -Joe Average) only then does it show you have the added fee.

There is a reason to not get the everything messaging, it's because three of the four lines ARE smartphones. But I'm still paying for unlimited data on a line with a basic phone. Also try selecting everything messaging and then look at phone selection, there are no smartphones to choose from. The point is the plans need some streamlining, and they can start with rolling that annoying fee in or making them more modular. Instead of charging me $19.99 for each additional line, how about you ask me what kind of line it is and set the price accordingly? Everything altogether is nice, but it also means you might be paying for more than you need as I am. Don't get me wrong, it's still cheaper than Verizon. But it's still nonsensical.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My bad, I meant 3G as in "smartphone". But see this is the point, it's not obvious till you get near the end. Not until you choose a device (is this one I don't know!?!? -Joe Average) only then does it show you have the added fee.

There is a reason to not get the everything messaging, it's because three of the four lines ARE smartphones. But I'm still paying for unlimited data on a line with a basic phone. Also try selecting everything messaging and then look at phone selection, there are no smartphones to choose from. The point is the plans need some streamlining, and they can start with rolling that annoying fee in or making them more modular. Instead of charging me $19.99 for each additional line, how about you ask me what kind of line it is and set the price accordingly? Everything altogether is nice, but it also means you might be paying for more than you need as I am. Don't get me wrong, it's still cheaper than Verizon. But it's still nonsensical.

That's a good way of looking at it. They should have an "everything feature phone" plan and an "everything smart phone" plan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6