What phones did you have before you switched to the Arrive?

RonHammock

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
My list is way too long to post, so I'll just post my Sprint phones.
BB Curve
Palm Pre
Treo 800w
BB Curve 3G
HTC Hero
HTC Arrive

I love this phone, all I need is some multitasking and I'm set.

omi205

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Omg pre

I had the Palm Pre on Sprint before I found greener fields with the Arrive. I have to say I love everything about WP7. It does lack some functions as of now but they will be implemented in the Mango update. I HATE apple...long live Microsoft.

SolarPlexus

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Palm Handspring Visor with Digital Link (nerd alert) - Awesome for the novelty of everything. Suprisingly functional.
Then a series of Sanyo flip phones - Never made it to the treo game
Palm Centro - Nice phone body - screen was way too small
Blackberry Curve 8350 - Fell in love with BB but this phone was way too laggy. I love the way that BB just gets out of your way - but its ugly.
HTC Hero - Liked the build but the lag and Android's roughness was a turnoff.
Blackberry Curve 8530 - Back to Blackberry :)
My Beloved HTC Arrive (w00t) - This is the FIRST phone to every really resonate with me. I think I am here for the long haul as long as MS supports it. I pondered the Nexus 4G. But playing with them in the store proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Arrive was my next phone.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
  • Nextel Motorola i60
  • Sanyo 8300 (switched to Sprint before the merger) - Loved this phone
  • Samsung A900 - Looked cool, otherwise meh
  • HTC Apache / 6700 - first smartphone, loved it. Still think it had the best keyboard I've ever used
  • HTC Mogul - loved how it looked, still think it's a very attractive phone. Slow and buggy, though.
  • HTC Touch Pro - was hypnotized by the five-row keyboard (and I came to love the TAB and CNTRL keys - I seriously used them all the time) but otherwise hated this device. Slow and frustrating, I had it for 18 months and swore I'd never go back to Windows Mobile.
  • HTC Evo 4G - What a breath of fresh air. Got this late May 2010 and it was love and first use. Everything was SO EASY to do compared to the Touch Pro. Very satisfied with Android. Even so, the love affair eventually wore off (I hated typing on the screen) and wanderlust kicked in, which brings us to:
  • HTC Arrive - Wanted something different and loved the look of the Metro UI. Sold my Evo for $300 and bought the Arrive for $400, so not a bad price considering I didn't have to renew my contract. So far I like it, but I don't love it. Still, I'm very pleased with the experience so far and am hopeful for the future. I love the keyboard for longer messages/emails. Battery life is at least double what I was getting with my Evo.

Will I stick with the Arrive? I dunno. A lot of nice devices coming this summer, but I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. I'm not anxious to go back to the UI/Launchers on Android (they are all flawed in my opinion) but I am seeing a lot of cool app implementations that are unavailable on Windows Phone (like Looxcie, DailyRoads Voyager, Qik, etc). I also still miss GTalk and Latitude (Flory just ain't cutting it). We'll see what happens!

caliborn

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
My previous smartphone was the Samsung Intrepid running WM6.5....Loved that little phone..wasn't the most powerful spec-wise but it did what I needed it to extremely well. I still use it on occasion at home to run Pandora since I have a Pandora One acct.

I'm liking the Arrive very much. Looking forward to the OS update later this year to make it an even better phone.

muziqjunkie

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Arrive yesterday. Can't wait to get everything up and running on it. This phone is so smooth. The OS is simple yet elegant. Responsivness, I can't think of another phone that is so slick. I am coming from the Sprint Palm Pre. It was a great little phone and she served her purpose well. But HP/Palm left all of us hanging and just took too long to get something new to market. And from the way it looks there isn't going to be anything on Sprint from HP anytime soon so it was time to make the switch. Not to mention the fact that HP is no longer creating updates for my Pre so it's basically done with any advancement. Can't wait for MANGO to hit. It's gonna kick butt. Am excited to be part of the WP7/wpcentral family now. :)
Pretty much my exact same story.

wellsmanfu

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
I'll keep my list brief, it's a bit long. I'm a Sprint tech, so I kept switching phones all the time to try new things and keep up on the latest tech.

multiple windows mobile phones, 5.0 - 6.5, treo 650, 700p, 755p, Pre, Moment, Hero, Evo, Shift, back to Hero, then the Arrive.

Really liking the Arrive. My friends from work all wonder why I have it, a bunch of my friends outside of work love the wp7 phones and don't want anything else thats out there. Great phone and OS. Looking forward to Mango!

mock19

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I am coming from a Samsung Moment and I have not looked back. WP7 is by far THE best smartphone I have ever owned. I can honestly say I can never go back to Android...I'm now spoiled.

I like the keyboard on the Arrive; but with minimal landscape support I find I don't use it as often as I did on the Moment. Interested to see what's next for Sprint/WP7.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, new to the forums...

The originals:
1) Sanyo SCP4900 - Great little phone, did what it was supposed to and was indestructible lol
2) Sanyo VM4500 - First flip phone, took videos when other phones still didn't have the feature, great little thing.
3) Sanyo MM8300 - Second flip phone, not much of an upgrade, but it was different.

The REAL Phones:
4) Original Motorola Q(WM5) - I owned this phone for 4 years, I LOVED the damn thing. Yeah, it didn't have GPS and it didn't have WiFi and it was picky about videos, but at the end of the day it was an excellent phone. It was relatively quick and what little it did, it did well.
5) Samsung Moment - I HATE this phone. I got it for the beautiful AMOLED screen and the nice slide out hardware keyboard. At first I thought Android was awesome but after a while flashing roms, crappy apps, and absolutely dreadful battery life had me complaining all the time about this thing. I could send a few texts and still have a dead battery by the time work got out. The phone was so slow and incapable that it didn't do its basic functions well. I wanted my WM5 back at the very least :(
6) HTC Arrive - I LOVE this phone. Everything just... works. The UI is simple, yet effective. The phone is fast(only 200MHz faster than the Moment but smokes it in every respect), and best of all, the battery lasts for more than 8 hours at a time! I took it to Vegas with me and the GF(she bought me the phone for my bday) this weekend and it took pictures/videos all day, browsed the net, and at the end of a 16 hour day it still had what looked like 1/3rd battery life. Simply amazing. It's the best phone I've ever owned, and geoDefense is awesome... lol!

Oh yeah, and I'm not normally a fan of on screen keyboards, in fact I hate them with a passion, but this on-screen is pretty sweet i must say.

Reactions: starblade876

rexalbel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Palm Pre here, I def miss the just type feature!

I'm an ex-pre owner as well, and a mobile enthusiast who has tried all four main touchscreen OS's (webos, iOS, wp7 and android) and let me say I finally found one I don't see myself leaving anytime soon. Don't get me wrong I did love my pre, longest phone I ever had, but.. I was always waiting for something new hoping and nothing came. I am completely satisfied with my wp7 and while just type is the a feature I really miss (and the gestures and way the back button was a per app button and multitasking was also a bit better) I do love wp7 it's got integration like no other, the way palm should have done it all along... Plus as a developer all I can say is wow to a mango ;) (I think I'm aloud to say that) by the way, not only best for users best dev environment for devs IMO and especially app designers. You can literally know no code and design an app and hand it off to a dev. I personally went the route of teaching myself code because Id rather do both, but there is so much as far as learning goes that I'm done with my first app in a months time! (granted I put in 40+ hours a week between learning and writing) so I say wp7 is my mobile os, I only hope windows eventually pcis up the functionality that wp7 offers while keeping the functionality it has (and it uses the same sdk so I can make apps for it :D)

icthusman1

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I was using the Palm Pre. It was a fantastic phone but was having some hardware issues. I was really bummed to be leaving WebOS but there was no way I was moving to a Pixi and I didn't want an Android phone so thought I would try out the Arrive. Sadly, WebOS is still better and I miss it but I do really like WP7 and Mango.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Left my pre and never looked back still love webos but windows mango is making me stay and im on sprint -_- but anyways had a Instinct before that it was terrible.

dtreo

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
  • Nextel Motorola i60
  • Sanyo 8300 (switched to Sprint before the merger) - Loved this phone
  • Samsung A900 - Looked cool, otherwise meh
  • HTC Apache / 6700 - first smartphone, loved it. Still think it had the best keyboard I've ever used
  • HTC Mogul - loved how it looked, still think it's a very attractive phone. Slow and buggy, though.
  • HTC Touch Pro - was hypnotized by the five-row keyboard (and I came to love the TAB and CNTRL keys - I seriously used them all the time) but otherwise hated this device. Slow and frustrating, I had it for 18 months and swore I'd never go back to Windows Mobile.
  • HTC Evo 4G - What a breath of fresh air. Got this late May 2010 and it was love and first use. Everything was SO EASY to do compared to the Touch Pro. Very satisfied with Android. Even so, the love affair eventually wore off (I hated typing on the screen) and wanderlust kicked in, which brings us to:
  • HTC Arrive - Wanted something different and loved the look of the Metro UI. Sold my Evo for $300 and bought the Arrive for $400, so not a bad price considering I didn't have to renew my contract. So far I like it, but I don't love it. Still, I'm very pleased with the experience so far and am hopeful for the future. I love the keyboard for longer messages/emails. Battery life is at least double what I was getting with my Evo.

Wow, are you still getting the kind of battery life you describe on your Arrive? Somehow, I'm one of the few that really gets what I consider stellar battery life on my EVO and it gets the best signal reception of any phone I've ever had, so I'm not anxious to leave it. But, WP7 is such a nice looking and fluid integrated UI that I'd love to get a 4" WP7 device - maybe QWERTY, maybe not.

I don't ever bother running the 4G on my EVO, since the 3G and Wifi seems to be so fast for my use (lots of business email, sms and moderate web use). That's probably why my battery life is solid. 4G is a waste these days IMO.

I'd really like to see some new WP7 hardware options on Sprint, though. The Arrive sounds great, but they really need some more top end options soon.

My list...
Various Treos (loved 755p), 800w (best Treo ever), Touch Pro2 (very good for weeks at a time until it would get the lockup illness), BB Tour (horrible reception and device), EVO4G (impressed...but getting bored with it).

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Dump Phones->Centro->Palm Pre->Arrive

I find it very interesting how many people had a Pre at some point, went through a bunch of other devices and ended up landing here. I really do see webOS and WP7 as kindred spirits and I think these sorts of things show that.

dreamcast87

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the Pre- on Sprint. Purchased mine off eBay didn't want to use my upgrade till the 4.3" dual core snapdragon or tegra 4G/LTE qHD, Amoled, SLCD or whatever else I forgot to mention superphone is released.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon