WIFI sleep issue?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Idk if it's just my Arrive, but whenever I put my phone into sleep mode the WIFI will seem to disconnect. When i turn my phone back on to use it, the WIFI icon will come back on and the bars strength animation will come on at the top, showing it going from weak to strong (as if it's reconnecting).

Is this how all Windows phones are supposed to be? Are they disconnecting, or is it just an animation showing that WiFi is still on?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
This is very disappointing. They should at least give users the option to turn this on or off. Mango has a lot of good new features that make the OS almost complete, but this is something I sorely miss from Android....

itsall4tay

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Your Android phone did not stay connected when it was in sleep mode, it also polled the available wifi signal, it just didn't let you know. You not missing anything. Enjoy you Arrive.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Your Android phone did not stay connected when it was in sleep mode, it also polled the available wifi signal, it just didn't let you know. You not missing anything. Enjoy you Arrive.

Are you sure? There were times I would have to download large games (300+mb) and it would stay downloading through WIFI (the only option to use for downloading) when I would put the phone into sleep mode.

So you're saying that whenever I am downloading a lot of apps and need to put my Arrive into sleep mode that those downloads are still running?

itsall4tay

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I think that is called background app loading not sleep mode, I am not sure if that will be addressed with Mango or not because the apps were just allowed in the marketplace till today. They said it would though, hang in there windows phone 7 is really on the fast track.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
A large download, like a large game, or one of the movie apps (like School of Rock-1GB+) will continue to download over WiFi, even after the screen goes to sleep. But once that download is complete, WiFi will disconnect. This all worked pre-Mango. Without a big download, WiFi will disconnect 15 seconds after the screen goes to sleep, to conserve power.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

danisnotstan

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I've owned several Android phones and they all had an option to change the wifi sleep policy. Default was set to disconnect wifi after 15 minutes idle... I always selected "never". The main reason I left on wifi was for power savings as it used less battery than 3G. If the wifi disconnects while the phone is sleeping, that means the phone reverts back to 3G which defeats the purpose by not only using more power but also giving a poorer connection if you're in a weak service area. I thought that my battery life on my Arrive seemed the same whether on wifi or 3G (hard to tell without a way to know my battery info or percentage!) and this explains why. Hopefully this gets fixed with Mango.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I've owned several Android phones and they all had an option to change the wifi sleep policy. Default was set to disconnect wifi after 15 minutes idle... I always selected "never". The main reason I left on wifi was for power savings as it used less battery than 3G. If the wifi disconnects while the phone is sleeping, that means the phone reverts back to 3G which defeats the purpose by not only using more power but also giving a poorer connection if you're in a weak service area. I thought that my battery life on my Arrive seemed the same whether on wifi or 3G (hard to tell without a way to know my battery info or percentage!) and this explains why. Hopefully this gets fixed with Mango.

it doesn't get fixed with Mango.....

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I have issues with my phone, in nodo and mango rtm it just WON'T use the f'ing wifi at all. Mango is better, but I have to reboot it sometimes. I am so tired of this. We have my wife's evo 3d on wifi, her ipad, the ps3 etc all works fine but my arrive acts like a retard and won't use the wifi (my cell signal is ok/weak, good for calls). No since in this.

Last edited:

gabfall

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
yep looks like mango didnt fix this sh*t... i have Mango like the official one and yet phone goes to sleep.. wifi seems to do so too... i am very dissapointed.. the starnge part.. it says its connected.. but then just goes like reconecting.. i think the phone wants to piss me off

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786