Sprint tells customers to ditch their Arrive

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
From the main page:

http://www.windowscentral.com/sprint-considers-htc-arrive-recycle-worthy-iphone

To make the Windows Phone situation even sadder on Sprint than it already is (seriously, they pretty much tie Verizon), Sprint is now using the HTC Arrive, arguably one of the better Windows Phones, as the example for their buyback program. In short, when you go to the iPhone 4S page on Sprint, scrolling down reveals the Sprint Buyback program and the HTC Arrive, a phone that is just six months old, is wrapped in age-inducing ivy.

It's as if Sprint is digging the knife in a little deeper. Sure, we could hope that this is because they're getting ready to reveal one or even two new Windows Phone for the holiday season, but honestly, it's been pretty quiet on the rumor front so far.

Lame Sprint, just lame.

You never displayed it. Never push it. Never gave one single penny, thought, or iota of concern how to properly sell or market the Arrive. You never trained your employees. In fact your employees hid it, afraid to show WP7 to consumers like how a child is afraid to show his mom a broken toy. You were lazy, Sprint, lazy and ignorant. Through your complacency you missed a prime opportunity to attract brand new customers. I guess that exemplifies your business model, don't be a leader, just bank on being the "other option" and hope things work out for the best. I understand now why you can't compete with Verizon and AT&T. It's not that you don't want to play with the big boys. You just don't know how.

Sprint, I've seen your catalog. You have well over a dozen crappy phones you could have used for this ad Instead you choose one of the better phones?? Use one of those low tier Android phones or a Palm Pre, a phone that's actually dead. Not the phone with a great build quality and solid OS. A phone that you still sell for $200 bucks on your site (yes, it's still 200 bucks). It's pathetic.

Don't worry, Sprint, I have no problems giving AT&T an extra $10 bucks a month for better coverage and a wider selection of phones. Hopefully one day you learn how to run your business. Then you can stop complaining about how hard it is to compete with everyone else.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I've never had Sprint, so from an outsider looking in, to me it seems like Sprint just doesn't have their heart into it. Maybe they want to change their direction and get into wireless something else.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
as I've said before, it takes carriers to push a phone as well as the manufacturers and the software providers.

The Droid series does well b/c it's pushed by Verizon and Google and Motorola. There's a website just for the Droid series, and you see commercials all the time. People know the Droid tone and the slogan without ever having touched one. THAT'S marketing.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
as I've said before, it takes carriers to push a phone as well as the manufacturers and the software providers.

The Droid series does well b/c it's pushed by Verizon and Google and Motorola. There's a website just for the Droid series, and you see commercials all the time. People know the Droid tone and the slogan without ever having touched one. THAT'S marketing.

You got that right. Every Chicago expressway has Droid Bionic billboards.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The claim that sprint is telling me to ditch my arrive is silly considering they are supposed to be kicking off a large Windows Phone campaign soon

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The claim that sprint is telling me to ditch my arrive is silly considering they are supposed to be kicking off a large Windows Phone campaign soon

I hope Sprint does that. They are better off being a little bit diversified, rather than putting all their hope on only the iPhone.

MedicX

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree 120% with the OP. When I saw this ad yesterday or whenever it was made known bp WPCentral, I was infuriated. I have thought about jumping ship so many times, but haven't because of the supposed better pricing and the unlimited data. But my Zune streaming sucks because of Sprints service, and, well, there is not enough selection here. Effin hate, ok, dislike Android. WP is just so fluid.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm more pissed off that it's still $199 on their site. The Arrive is a great phone, but the price puts it in competition with phones like the Epic 4G Touch; an utterly ridiculous comparison. SRP on that phone is pretty ridiculous too. That's a $79 phone, tops.

And FYI to the OP, there is official Sprint training for the Arrive. Unfortunately it's pre-Mango. It also doesn't change the fact that salespeople think it runs Windows Mobile.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I posted this on the front page about the Surround being DC'd. I really don't even blame the carriers. I blame MS. Windows Phone 7 and the new phones are the biggest kept secret in the Smartphone market. There's no real advertising for these things. You see more ads on TV for the Computer than for the Smartphone. Instead of turning someones home into a Computer store, why don't they trade someone phones for awhile and let them experience it. You know, ala' Pepsi Challenge(for you old timers like me). How many Droid commercials do you see on TV every night. How much press does iPhone get on a regular basis, even before Jobs death(RIP). We, being end users are the only people on the planet it seems who even know that there's a new OS out there for these phones. And, that it's much better than the latest Droid OS. Faster, more stable, and able to do everything iOS and Droid can do. Most of it better.

I'm willing to say that once, if ever, MS ever starts to really support it and get it into the mainstream minds eye, it could be a serious competitor. Until then, it'll be lucky if it seriously makes it past Palm.

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I hope all this is not a sign of what's ahead. I agree, they need to push a little harder with WP7.

Last edited:

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree 120% with the OP. When I saw this ad yesterday or whenever it was made known bp WPCentral, I was infuriated. I have thought about jumping ship so many times, but haven't because of the supposed better pricing and the unlimited data. But my Zune streaming sucks because of Sprints service, and, well, there is not enough selection here. Effin hate, ok, dislike Android. WP is just so fluid.

I ran the numbers on a family plan. Two smart phone users + two dumb phone users. Ran it at a 2GB plan for the data users at ATT...$10 CHEAPER at ATT, if you can believe it. Plus the overage is $10 per GB, so worst case scenario, i go over that 2GB (which I haven't hit on Sprint in over a year) and I am paying the same amount.

Plus, have you been to an ATT store? They have a trillion freaking phones. As soon as I sell the damn Evo 3Ds I got stuck with thanks to Sprint's BS, I am choking on the ETF and going to ATT. I am sure they will screw me too, but at least i get a decent selection of phones!

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I ran the numbers on a family plan. Two smart phone users + two dumb phone users. Ran it at a 2GB plan for the data users at ATT...$10 CHEAPER at ATT, if you can believe it. Plus the overage is $10 per GB, so worst case scenario, i go over that 2GB (which I haven't hit on Sprint in over a year) and I am paying the same amount.

Plus, have you been to an ATT store? They have a trillion freaking phones. As soon as I sell the damn Evo 3Ds I got stuck with thanks to Sprint's BS, I am choking on the ETF and going to ATT. I am sure they will screw me too, but at least i get a decent selection of phones!

I'm right there with you....right when the decent selection of Windows Phones comes to AT&T or T-Mobile I'm dropping Sprint; their network sucks at penetrating thick walls anyway and GSM is the way to go.

Dunno what I'm going to do though because I get an AT&T discount through work, but T-Mobile is cheaper and they simply throttle your speeds if you go over....hmmm...

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm right there with you....right when the decent selection of Windows Phones comes to AT&T or T-Mobile I'm dropping Sprint; their network sucks at penetrating thick walls anyway and GSM is the way to go.

Dunno what I'm going to do though because I get an AT&T discount through work, but T-Mobile is cheaper and they simply throttle your speeds if you go over....hmmm...

I am efinitely going with ATT over Tmo. Mostly because of the phone selection. It is just massive. They get all of the phones released in Europe due to similiar radios. Even when the phones do make it to Verizon and Sprint they tend to get there later. My big problem is being able to afford the ETF and then buy 2 new phones probably at $200 a piece. Makes me natious even thinking about it...

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I am efinitely going with ATT over Tmo. Mostly because of the phone selection. It is just massive. They get all of the phones released in Europe due to similiar radios. Even when the phones do make it to Verizon and Sprint they tend to get there later. My big problem is being able to afford the ETF and then buy 2 new phones probably at $200 a piece. Makes me natious even thinking about it...

i think my ETF right now is around 115 or something because Sprint said your ETF drops for every month you are a Premium or Gold (or w/e) member. For me, I can sell the Arrive, find a used Focus until the good phones come from Craigslist or eBay, and start the new contract (probably totalling around $200 or so in the end...depending on how much I can get rid of the Arrive for...). I will miss Sprint's customer service, however, because they bend over backwards for whatever you want almost...

Waiting to see what ICS brings today. If they bring Hardware Acceleration (full-blown) then Android will be as smooth as WP7 and there will be no need for me to stay anymore until the hardware gets better (i.e. the Focus S or w/e) because I have a Nexus S, and when it gets updated (or a decent ROM dump comes along) I'm jumping ship if I see Windows Phone not delivering any promise (which is pretty much how it's looking for this year). Then again, by the time the Nexus S gets updated, the new hardware might show up. It's all a matter of waiting and finding which phone I can be content with until then because it's hard to see my Nexus S and not re-activate it (heck..even my Pre....I'm thinking about adding 2.1 or w/e on it since the launcher is hardware accelerated).

edit:

BBX looks like it may be very interesting (if it's as smooth as the PlayBook), and Sprint has always been a hardcore Blackberry station...hmmm

Last edited:

MastrMeatWad

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I would have loved to go with ATT because of the phone selection, but the service is piss poor in my area. I am a sad panda. Verizn and Sprint have the best connection in my area. Love my arrive.

Dear Sprint,

Get more WP7 devices soon including Nokia, or you can SUCK IT.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs