Opinions Please

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I have been thinking about buying an Arrive off contract, I haven't owned a Windows phone since the Q, just wondering if the Arrive is just about a dead product, anyone think Sprint will EOL it soon, I like my android phone have been using them since the hero, but it seems WP7 is a big improvement from my old Q and Windows Mobile 6.Thank you for any input.

rchillin

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Arrive for about a year and its a solid device. I've dropped it a couple of times and it keeps on chucking. One the nices features is the keyboard. It's really laid out well, however, I've used the software keyboard more often. There's been no concrete info on future Windows Phone devices but there is one rumor that Sprint is possibly waiting until Apollo before they introduce new devices. Apollo won't be released until towards the end of the year. If you're new to Windows Phone, you won't be disappointed wit the Arrive and the OS. Couple of tidbits, Sprint still hasn't released the 8107 update and I've had my keyboard disappear on me often...its a nusiance; but I haven't notice that when using the hardware keyboard. One guy on this forum forced update and he's having issues with now.

simonnyc

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
The Arrive is a nice solid phone that I would not hesitate buying again off contract if the price was right. Sprint's been very tight lipped about anything new in the near future but the consensus thinks they are going to wait til Apollo launches to get back into the windows phones business. Until then, the Arrive is fine and the keyboard is truly one of the best out there.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The arrive is an excellent phone, the only huge downside it has is that it is on sprint's crappy 3G network. When getting it expect speeds of 120kbps during the day, 60k in the evening and weekends and 500k overnight.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input everyone, to add to this I went by the Sprint store today, Sprint is totally useless when it comes to any questions about an Arrive, the guy there said pretty much it's a dead product, the Sprint employees are a BIG part of the problem with WP7, he said and I quote: "Why would you want one of those?" "We sell maybe one every few months" I asked about any more updates he didn't have a clue, the display model wasn't even updated to Mango, I asked about that and he said that, that phone was the lastest updated software, I asked about 8107, he just looked and asked "what is 8107?" So I assume Sprint is done with this phone for good. I guess I will try to get one if I can get one cheap enough, what a shame that a carrier can kill a phone line off with their sales people and lack of knowledge.

ben55124

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Sprint needs you to buy an iPhone...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20114938-94/sprint-commits-to-$20b-order-for-30m-iphones-wsj-says/?tag=mncol;txt

I am happy with my Arrive, but I know it is an end-of-life device. I have a SERO plan and wanted WP7, so I "arrived" at a compromise. Too bad for us that Microsoft doesn't have the clout to retain control of OS updates like Apple.

rchillin

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The arrive is an excellent phone, the only huge downside it has is that it is on sprint's crappy 3G network. When getting it expect speeds of 120kbps during the day, 60k in the evening and weekends and 500k overnight.

This is exactly why (after 13 years w/ Sprint) I'm making the switch to AT&T...on April 6th no less :D The network speed just really kills the phone's usefulness. I may keep my Arrive around just for the keyboard but who knows. As for the customer service reps, I only use that as a gauge to see how committed the carrier is. Just look over at AT&T and you can tell the difference night and day. Nonetheless, I've always been one of the types that knows more about the product the reps do because I've done my research. Sprint right now, is just playing catch up. Years ago, they use to be at the cutting edge but not anymore.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I found an afforable one!

I have been looking on ebay lately, for a decent fair priced Arrive, found a new no box no anything, from a cell dealer with a good track record and 100% feedback with a lot of good reviews from Arrive buyers. Paid $150 total shipped, I figure that's not a bad investment to see how I like WP7. Coming from Andriod after almost 3 years, and not having a windows phone since an AT&T Q with windows mobile 6.0 on it, I think it will be a learning experience. Now I just need to wait for it to get here and figure out how to update it to 7.5 Mango. :)

rchillin

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I have been looking on ebay lately, for a decent fair priced Arrive, found a new no box no anything, from a cell dealer with a good track record and 100% feedback with a lot of good reviews from Arrive buyers. Paid $150 total shipped, I figure that's not a bad investment to see how I like WP7. Coming from Andriod after almost 3 years, and not having a windows phone since an AT&T Q with windows mobile 6.0 on it, I think it will be a learning experience. Now I just need to wait for it to get here and figure out how to update it to 7.5 Mango. :)
Once you receive the phone and give Sprint the ESN number...(if it hasn't been upgraded already) plugging it into your computer should pull mango down to it. Assuming you've downloaded zune ;)

itsmebryan

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same boat as you. I got it refurbished off of eBay for $150. I was worried if I would miss my rooted EPIC 4g custom rom. I got my Arrive on Monday. I played with on wi-fi until I got it activated on Tuesday. I got home and went to windowphones website and downloaded Zune. Then I connect the phone to the computer and it updated. The phone is great so far. It seems faster the my EPIC and I don't miss 4g because it's spotty out here so I never use it. Only downsides so far is the lack of Flash support and I can't find an app that will show me appointments I have coming up for that week on my home page. I so are that's the only bad things. I posting on it now.;)

Ps. One other downside for me is that you can't charge the phone when it's off. I read in one of the threads and i can't figure it. I like to turn my phone off at night so I don't heard email notifications when I sleep.

Last edited:

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
If your sticking with Sprint you really dont have a choice if you want a Windows Phone. The only issue I have with the Arrive I Have is that the other phones a better. I got my mom the HTC Trophy and I was amazed how well it felt in my hand, the Arrive is a baby phone by comparison. If you dont compare it to any other WP7 devices its a decent journeyman phone. I'm actually eacing Sprint and picking up a Lumia 900 with AT&T.

Honestly, the Arrive is a good phone but I really don't believe Sprint is going to commit to the platform and the "keyboard issue" has become a problem with me. Since Sprint seems to bash windows phone in the media I wont take a chance on them supporting the platform any longer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos