Hello, I am new to the forums and am currently an Android, CyanogenMod 7.2, user. I am looking into a Sprint upgrade and do not want to go with a 4G phone to keep my monthly price from going up an additional 10 bucks a month. With that in mind, one of the options I came across is the HTC Arrive. I would like to know what differences I should be expecting going from Android to WP7. I love Android and how customizable everything is, but I need a faster phone (my Optimus S is sluggish from time to times) and I've began to realize I don't use as many apps and things as I used to. I've really simplified my usage to basic calling, texting, and occasional things like using the internet, Facebook, YouTube, etc. With that in mind, I'd like some opinions on the phone, as well as the platform (and does it have Mango?)

Thanks!
    06-19-2012 11:54 PM
    I'm not sure that you'll be able to avoid the $10 charge even with a 3G phone. I think Sprint tacks that $10 onto every account now, no matter the speed. Well, customization is not part of the game with WP7. You can choose what tiles are on your home screen and the color of the tiles. But that's about it, as best I can tell. Which is not to say it's limiting at all, it isn't. Choosing tiles is a great ability. Once you get some live tiles on the home screen you'll see what I mean.

Hacking, loading ROMS, etc. is doable, but I would suspect a lot less WP7 users do it than Android users. I think that's due to the phones getting updated fairly regularly. Compared to Android, WP7 devices get updated way, way more often.

Yes, the Arrive has Mango. All WP7 devices have Mango and some even have the newest version, Tango. Tomorrow the Nokia Lumia 710 is to get Tango. Keep in mind the Arrive is a 1st Gen WP7 device. For what you're wanting it for, the Arrive should do the job very well.

Are you on contract and must stay with Sprint? AT&T and T-Mobile have much better WP7 selections, that's why I ask. You could do like I did, get out of contract with Sprint, get a WP7 device on T-Mobile, and just go month-to-month. Contracts with carriers are pacts with the devil.
    06-20-2012 12:41 AM
    Sorry, I forgot to clarify that I'm on the old Sero plan, where 3G phones are charged at $40/mo. and 4G at $50/mo.. Too cheap to give up haha. But in any case, I kind of like what I've seen of WP7, as well as the very little bit of time that I've used my friends LG Win phone. They seem very quick and elegant (but a lot less boring than iOS). Also, I was reading around about Windows constantly updating all their phones, and I'd hope this one gets Tango. I have no idea what's new, but I hope it still gets support for a while, especially considering it's the only Windows phone on Sprint right now.
    06-20-2012 01:06 AM
    Also, on the specs listed on Sprint's website, it says something about 16GB eMMC? Is that some special type of flash memory card or something?
    06-20-2012 01:08 AM
    Sorry, I forgot to clarify that I'm on the old Sero plan, where 3G phones are charged at $40/mo. and 4G at $50/mo.. Too cheap to give up haha. But in any case, I kind of like what I've seen of WP7, as well as the very little bit of time that I've used my friends LG Win phone. They seem very quick and elegant (but a lot less boring than iOS). Also, I was reading around about Windows constantly updating all their phones, and I'd hope this one gets Tango. I have no idea what's new, but I hope it still gets support for a while, especially considering it's the only Windows phone on Sprint right now.
    Also, on the specs listed on Sprint's website, it says something about 16GB eMMC? Is that some special type of flash memory card or something?
    Oh man, that is cheap. Yeah, I wouldn't give that up, either. The Arrive will be find for you, I am sure of it. I expect 1st Gen phones to get Tango, but I am very doubtful they'll get Windows Phone 8.

The 16GB is just stating the onboard non-removable memory. It's where your phone stores downloaded items, pictures, and where Zune syncs your videos, pictures, and music.
    06-20-2012 12:32 PM
    It uses a 16gb Sandisk microSDHC crd inteanlly for memoy/storage. You can, with a couple of screw drivers(1 tri-wing, 1 small phillips) and upgrade it to 32gb like I did this weekend.
    06-20-2012 10:56 PM
    Thank you for the responses! I was so close to switching over, but then I read about the 160 character limit bug that the Arrive has. Totally a deal breaker for me. I've read that there is a way to run a custom ROM and then use some mod to fix the issue, but I was wanting to switch for the sake if WP7's fluidity and elegance. I mean if I still have or want to hack around, I'll just stick with Android. It's a shame though cause I really was so close.
    06-23-2012 02:47 PM
    The 160 limit isn't that big of a deal. I typically send messages in multiple parts anyway.
    06-23-2012 10:49 PM
    You actually get used to doing it like this after awhile.
    06-23-2012 10:50 PM
    Then it becomes kind of second nature.
    06-23-2012 10:50 PM
    You get the idea, like I just did with the last three posts. As far as going 1 way or the other for the sake of the $10 charge, you're going to get that no matter what. I pay the same for my 3g Arrive as my Wife does for her 4G Droid slider Epic. Granted, we don't have 4G in our area yet so she's still getting 3G service, but when it does get here, we've been told our rates won't go up and the store I deal with has always been pretty much on the money with info with me.

The only hack I've done with my phone was the 32gb upgrade mentioned earlier.
    06-23-2012 10:53 PM
    ^ haha I think that's fairly evident
    06-23-2012 10:55 PM
    You get the idea, like I just did with the last three posts. As far as going 1 way or the other for the sake of the $10 charge, you're going to get that no matter what. I pay the same for my 3g Arrive as my Wife does for her 4G Droid slider Epic. Granted, we don't have 4G in our area yet so she's still getting 3G service, but when it does get here, we've been told our rates won't go up and the store I deal with has always been pretty much on the money with info with me.

The only hack I've done with my phone was the 32gb upgrade mentioned earlier.
    Are you on the old Sero-P plan, JohnMcD348?
    06-24-2012 03:50 PM
    No, I was never SERO. We got moved and bumped around over the years. I started off with NexTel and was with them for about 5 years and was unknowingly moved over to Sprint when we upgraded our phones once. We were given Hybrid phones and moved over to Sprint, thanks to Pakistani customer Service. We've stayed with Sprint since they were really no better than the others and we get the service we need and want. I think We pay roughly $110ish for the family plan, with discounts for my job and such. I really am not sure what the bill is, I leave it up to my wife to pay that stuff.

We don't really upgrade phones often like some people do. It's not uncommon for us to go 3-6 years or more. I can say in about 12-15 years, I've had about maybe 4 phones. Nextel i50, i990, TP2, Arrive.
    06-24-2012 06:30 PM
    Welcome! I love the Arrive.

It's an older WP7 device but it's hard to beat my contract with Sprint so I feel you there.
    07-09-2012 06:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD