Force updating to WP7.8

ZX9

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
There's currently a lot of doubt around whether or not Sprint will deliver the WP7.8 update for existing HTC Arrives, and the truth is, it's very possible we won't be seeing that little notification come up this year. It's not very encouraging considering we have not seen anything about the 8107 update for Sprint. That said, if you will look back to Mango, it was the same story, and yet Arrive users were--I believe--the very first to get the update without forcing it. So, there's still a chance that we could be getting WP7.8 from Sprint.

BUT if we don't, will we be forced to force WP7.8, too? Will this be possible for the new update?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
According to the news I have read, Microsoft is bypassing the carriers to deliver the WP 7.8 update. So that's good for the 2nd Gen WP7 users, but I haven't seen anywhere that says for sure 1st Gen WP7 phones will get the 7.8 update.

mike#WP

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I hope that 7.8 includes the changes that Sprint won't pass on to its customers. The disappearing screen keyboard is an absolute pain.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
No, the Arrive doesn't have it but not because it isn't available, but because Sprint has decided its customers don't need the headache of a fully functional phone.

Heh, good ol' Sprint, always looking out for their customers! Glad I left Sprint for T-Mobile.

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Posted this earlier on the Sprint HTC Arrive forum -

The difference with Windows Phone 7.8 compared to other updates is that there is no carrier intervention on this one. Here's a quote that Paul Thurrott (well-known Windows/Microsoft blogger) made in his Windows Phone 7.8 post -

"Windows Phone 7.8 will be delivered directly to all Windows Phone users, bypassing the carriers. You will be able to download and install Windows Phone 7.8 over Wi-Fi, at home or wherever else, and install this update".

According to Microsoft, Windows Phone 7.8 will be released sometime around Windows Phone 8's debut (which is expected in Oct/Nov like the past two releases). Quote from the Windows Phone team blog:

"The new Start screen is so useful and emblematic of what Windows Phone is about that we want everybody to enjoy it. So we?ll be delivering it to existing phones as a software update sometime after Window Phone 8 is released."

Source for Paul's quote: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windowsphone75/windows-phone-78-preview-143476

Source for 7.8 release quote: Windows Phone Blog

As for the disappearing keyboard, I can attest to the issue being the same there. The cursor will still lose focus from the text field randomly with the hardware keyboard extended. It happened quite often (before I forced 8017).

We can only hope (most likely to our dismay) for Sprint to release 8773 to us as a holdover, but most likely we won't see anything until Microsoft directly releases 7.8 to us... which is quite sad.

So far a few of us have tried to make a buzz on Sprint's forums, but there haven't been too many of us. Any additional help is welcome. :)

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
got a link to that particular thread or other Sprint forum threads you need a few more voices in? I pretty much never go ther since I really figure they aren't listening.

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I thought Sprint went under like AOL. Last summer when I was back in the states the 3 malls I went in had closed all their Sprint stores.

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I had to force update my Arrive to even get 7.5 and once they updated 7.5 to get rid of those annoying keyboard issues (the second update) i had to manually update using some tool.

Now I have a Radar 4G, and I want to flash my rom to the dynamics hybrid 7.8 RTM rom. But the stupid HSPL/Gold Card crap is keeping me away. As well, my other problems that keep me from flashing, is that the developers are too lazy to even provide a helpful tutorial, and of course every time I do try to run the flash program, it can never find my phone. Nor can WPconnect.exe from the SDK
even though I followed everything completely, and see no reason for its malfunction.

I am really tired of Microsoft, and them not releasing 7.8 until 2013. It should have been here months and months ago. But instead, they extend it. I am really looking away from Windows Phones now.

alphaxi3

May 25, 2011
Visit site
But... you have a physical keyboard...

Obviously someone who's to foolish to know what they are talking about. Its not just the keyboard you lose, you lose predictive text with the disappearing screen. Next time know what you are talking about. I always use the physical keyboard because it is superior, it just losing the predictive text that is irritating. Whenever I use the screens keyboard I wind up going to the physical keyboard, just less errors and ease of use. The idiots at Sprint are probably as clueless as you about the issue and is probably why they didn't allow the update, because they said the same thing. Ignorance doesn't help anyone.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
"Well its been a while since this thread was brought up. And my guess is that all of you have not gotten the update yet.....

Today, January 30, 2013, was supposed to be the day for the release. Many of the other HTC devices have gotten the update. Sadly the Arrive will NOT be getting it.

Though Microsoft mentioned that the update would bypass carriers, they failed to mention how it would not bypass manufacturers. HTC gave the Arrive the shaft, and we will not be getting the update.

Today, as I was trying everything possible to get this update on my phone, I sent HTC an email asking if the update would come to our phones. They replied about 10 minutes later with confirmation that it would not come.

Sorry to dissappoint, but thats about the realest truth you can get coming straight from the source. IF for some miraculous reason the HTC 7 Pro for U.S. Cellular gets the update, then it will be easily possible to manually install the update (I did this with the Tango update, which worked fine.)

Until then, we are out of luck."

This is a comment from the sprint forum looks like were out of luck boys.....

Krankenhausen

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
My 7 Pro (EU) did get the update (just installed it) so maybe there is still hope for the Arrive.

On the other hand, my phone also got the keyboard fix and Tango among other things..

What are actually the differences, hardware wise, between the 7 Pro and the Arrive? I mean it looks similar and the 7 Pro also supports CDMA despite the fact that it is not used in Europe, to my knowledge.

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't force anything. It's against the law. Try asking the Arrive out for dinner, and see where things lead. If not, 7.8 just wasn't meant to be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99