Sprint is just not going to be a big WP 8 supporter...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
In the "kinda figured" department, according to "All Things D", Sprint is not keen on grabbing a WP 8 device without seeing it become more succesful. They are still hopeful it is succesful, but do not have any desire to give up counter space to it.

As cash strapped as they are, it may be more of a reflection of their business decisions (you know- bad ones) than any upside to WP.

One little tidbit that came out of this was that author Ina Freid reports that Sprint VP David Owens said that the Arrive was one of the most returned devices in Sprints recent history. That blows my mind for as well reviewed as the Arrive is on their web site.

I really liked the Arrive and would have happily jumped on it had my family and I become Sprint customers. But it isn't looking good for replacement devices. Sprint is all in on the huge investment of the iPhone and their parnership with Google wallet.

http://allthingsd.com/20120806/goog...ey-variables-in-sprints-2013-plans/?mod=tweet

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Scumbag Sprint - we wont support windows phone until it is more successful

A quick meme I made.

Seriously though, Sprint has been pissing me off, and I have been a loyal customer for over 10 years. I would praise Sprint 'til I was blue in the face and bash at&t every chance I got. Now I'm seriously looking into having my family switch to at&t (only thing holding us back is the fact we pay 5 phones, unlimited everything, $250).

Ever since the iPhone came on board, and this happens to every freaking carrier that gets it, the network slows down to being piss poor and it takes a while for the carrier to get back on its feet. But sprint simply does not have the resources to fix their overloaded network, let alone launch an entire LTE 4G network and ditching their WiMax efforts.

So what does Sprint do? Not support an OS that received negative feedback and wasn't a hit. But the thing that downright boggles my mind is the fact that they are supporting Tizen and Firefox OS. Only possible thing I can imagine is that the licenses are significantly cheaper/free.

This bugs me a lot, and I got an Arrive on launch day. Love it to bits. I even broke it and revived it by buying parts on ebay to fix it. And all the while, I hate the darn thing. It's old, it's clunky, it's not that attractive, but it also represents Sprint's lack of enthusiasm for Windows Phone.

For a little while, I had 2 carriers and sprung on the Lumia 900 when it came out. It was a grand month of how Windows Phone ought to be, with LTE, a faster processor, a gorgeous screen that I could see in the sun, and a sexy form factor. But alas, I had to return it because I could not simply afford at&t.

Had they have gotten 1 other phone, a more "consumer centric" phone that was a typical form factor (like the Focus or maybe even the Trophy since it was also CDMA) they probably would have had better sales. The Arrive is a very niche product, with its stark design that is off putting to most people. The keyboard was also a drawback. They also advertised it as a business phone. Understandably so, for years they knew Windows Mobile as a business centric device and basically saw it as the Touch Pro 3. But everyone knew that Windows Phone overall wasn't exactly something that business people sought after, even with all the Microsoft Office and Exchange whistles.

Windows Phone on Sprint needed a dueling force to make it appear reasonable. They should have offered at least 2 devices. There was immense success in making the Evo and the Epic. They made people create a microfanboyism within sprint. It was HTC v Samsung, keyboard vs virtual, but at the end of the day Android and Sprint won in the long run. Had there been the Arrive and perhaps the Focus or Omnia 7, to have the same idea of internal competition; there would have been much more activity in Windows Phone.

All of this though, I guess, is just stupid banter. What's done is done and I have no faith in Sprint to support Windows Phone, which is a shame. I may be swooned into using Android later on, if there are no signs of hope for Windows Phone on Sprint or if Sprint just wallows up and dies I'll move my family to at&t. I really hope that Windows Phone becomes a huge success and that Sprint changes their mind and gets a decent Windows Phone 8.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm one who won't leave Sprint, economically its simply cheaper for us. I'm using a Moto Photon after having a Pre...(still miss that OS). Anyway, I'd love to have the Nokia 920...but I'm not leaving Sprint for it.

So...I'll just wait and hope they figure it out.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
With announcement that they are gearing up to speed up their data connections, if they ever get back in the game with a WP8 device, I may switch back to Sprint. Granted webOS nose dived, but the wife and I were ready to switch to ATT about a year ago... For a Pre 3 cause Sprint wasn't getting it. Then wound up switching to ATT anyways, due to coverage and data speed.

http://www.webosnation.com/attentio...owners-your-3g-speeds-will-improve-eventually
That's the article I was referring to on Sprints speed up plans.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Heh, well, you know they'll sink $20 Billion into the iPhone... they can't afford to roll out LTE now, so how can they subsidize any new phones? It's iPhone, EVO, or bust!

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
And the actual investment for the iPhone is 15.5 billion and is spreaded for a lapse of 4 years, and they are ahead in getting that number based on the sales figures for that device, and should get a boost for the sale of iPads as well, since it's not just a commitment to iPhones.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
This is sad. I have been talking to people about WP8 and many are willing to pick up a device yet most of these folks are on sprint! Yesterday I had a coworker as me when sprint would get a Windows Phone, he's ready to upgrade and would like to get one...=(

Dr. Impossible

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
You guys are hardcore for Sprint! Jeez! After all that malarky, and the fact that 'All of the sudden' NOW they are going to support WP8 in 2013...........all set. If I do anything, it will be to go back to Ting if something else works out. IMO, Sprint is the "A day late and 4 dollars short" network. They can't seem to get it together. My hats off to all of you guys.

Thanks

-Doc

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I left after 14 years. Couldn't take it anymore. Love the 920 and the LTE is screaming. And before someone says anything, there is sprint lte in my city. And it rated 5th behind the big two, t mobile and metro pcs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven