Custom WP7.8 Rom is out for the Arrive

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
[ROM] (First) HTC 7 Pro 7.8 & HTC Arrive 7.8 Sianto Edition - xda-developers

Just in case people didn't know (or if people even bother to check this forum now that it's legacy :p )

I have it running on mine, and things seem okay. I don't like how certain things seem broken. Like some of the live tiles like Xbox.

EDIT:

After testing it for about 1hr, I'm already contemplating rolling back if I can. This rom is seemingly not finished. There's a lot of things that I immediately noticed.

Some of the live tiles aren't working anymore, such as the HTC Hub tile. If you make it smaller, the tile crashes and you can only have to 2 smaller options.

Tiles that are rebranded or changed in some way don't have effects. For example, the Xbox tile doesn't have your avatar pop up randomly, and the messaging tile, while 2x1, won't do the transition effects.

Overall, most of the former moving tiles seem stark and not moving. It's pretty jarring and weird, seeing WP7 not have the effects on everything. It makes it look kind of dead, which is strange.

The camera app for some reason does not have all the settings in them. There's only the options for flash it seems. This is annoying, cause it means you can't change the resolution, white balance, etc.

The font is also slightly changed. I don't know if this is the cook's doing or if this was from microsoft, but the font is slightly bigger. I think it might be using normal Segoe instead of Segoe WP.

That's all I've found so far, but basically, if these things would annoy you, I would venture not to upgrade just yet. Maybe when there's a new more complete leak or something, cause things don't seem to be ready yet. It does run as expected though, smooth as butter and seemingly fully function.

Last edited:

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey, thanks for the heads up. I imagine some of the 7.8 things are quirky because there is no 7.8 yet. As someone who is clearly abreast of the flashing scene, can you recommend the best "stable" (I guess that'd be Tango) ROM for the Arrive? I really want Internet sharing and homebrew -- I don't care too much about the new Start Screen.

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I actually have been using another 7.8 Rom made by dev Leadpoizon since my last post, and so far it's been great! The problems are still kinda there, but this rom I used fixed some of the issues like fonts and the camera settings.

|ROM| ~[LEAD ROM]~ | 7.10.8779.8(Tango) || 9-16-12 | [GOLD_C] - xda-developers

Thats the link for the Tango rom made by the same cook. Somewhere in the thread he posts an "alpha" for 7.8, but everyone responded to the alpha saying that its pretty stable. I can agree with this statement and I love it.

I never tried the Tango Lead rom, but I would recommend it on the basis that his 7.8 rom is so good. Before that I used Ansar's rom. It was okay, but I didn't like all the customizations on it. I like a stock experience, and so does Leadpoizon :)

The 7.8 rom, in terms of completeness, is similar to how Windows 8 had a bunch of "preview" releases. This build (8835) has a bunch of changes but is nowhere near complete, much like the first Windows 8 Developer Preview. Eventually, when more builds leak, the features will be more complete. Right now, it just has some basic rebranding, the new start screen, and what not so that you can get a general feel.

I hope that helps you, and yes, most roms have internet sharing and homebrew. Take the plunge! But remember, you will have to lose everything when romming Windows Phones. It's unfortunate, but worth it.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
When you say lose everything are you talking about contacts and media? Because that stuff can be backed up. Or are you talking about sync to xbl?

Also can you get a WP 7 stock rom , preferably one that comes on your phone?

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You'll still be able to login with xbox and your live account and what not.

Lose everything means you start with a "factory reset" phone. You won't be able to backup stuff like game save data and what not. Sorry for the confusion :)

IRBBZ

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
and when updates are released, how easy will it be to update our rom. im more familiar with android roms and their update processes. thanks for the help

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos