Scratched HD7 Camera Lens

auniverseaway

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else have this problem? Seems like the back is made of plastic. In normal use I've managed to scratch the lens pretty bad... the whole bottom part now looks fuzzy.

I've had a lot of smartphones in my day, and I've never had this happen before.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else have this problem? Seems like the back is made of plastic. In normal use I've managed to scratch the lens pretty bad... the whole bottom part now looks fuzzy.

I've had a lot of smartphones in my day, and I've never had this happen before.

sorry no one has replied... I do have an HD7 and love it... That coupled with my OCD and you can probably guess that I really really take care of my HD7 lol. I don't really have that issue... are you positive that it's scratched? it isn't just overly dirty?

auniverseaway

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
No, it's not just dirty. Seems like a poor design. The lens cover is the top most element so it's constantly getting hit when you set the phone down. I'm not especially hard on my phones either.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
No, it's not just dirty. Seems like a poor design. The lens cover is the top most element so it's constantly getting hit when you set the phone down. I'm not especially hard on my phones either.

Yeah I see what you mean by the protruding camera lens but that's how all smartphones I've used had the camera and the way I prevented any scratches to the lens is by either always having it in my pocket or on a stand at night or while at work, therefore the lens never truly touches any surface... To try and remove them, try using some kind of scuff remover or polish creme.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
The hard shell on my Surround steps up the area around my very slightly recessed camera lense by about 3/32", so pretty hard to scratch without trying to.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

auniverseaway

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Since I have insurance on the phone, I decided to take a knife to pry off the cover. Turns out it's plastic with little to no recess. My phone was one of the very first HD7 phones so I'm hoping HTC went to a better material (glass).

The top of the camera was less scratched than the bottom, but that's due to the way the phone sits on a table, slightly slanted.

The difference is overwhelming. I have attached before and after pictures. (Before removing plastic shield, and after).

Last edited:

auniverseaway

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
...the way I prevented any scratches to the lens is by either always having it in my pocket or on a stand at night or while at work, therefore the lens never truly touches any surface... To try and remove them, try using some kind of scuff remover or polish creme.

My phone is always in my pocket, no keys. It only either sits on wood, cloth or laminate when not in my hand or pocket.

My Treo 650/700P did not have a camera protruding out of the phone, my iPhone 2g/3G didn't, my Droid didn't, my BB Curve didn't. On top of this, all the phones I just mentioned used glass as a protector, not just plastic.

It's a shame really, the phone is perfect other than this one huge flaw in material choice.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
My phone is always in my pocket, no keys. It only either sits on wood, cloth or laminate when not in my hand or pocket.

My Treo 650/700P did not have a camera protruding out of the phone, my iPhone 2g/3G didn't, my Droid didn't, my BB Curve didn't. On top of this, all the phones I just mentioned used glass as a protector, not just plastic.

It's a shame really, the phone is perfect other than this one huge flaw in material choice.

I'll agree with you on the build quality of the HD7... This is a post of mine from another thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/1540630-post3.htm

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
by the way, is there any possible ways to remove the scratch on the lens cover?
Well I'm not quite sure about that one, I'm still barely getting into photography, unfortunately these cameras suck lol well, they're not that bad but not enough to replace a dedicated pocket camera, which I don't know how many times I've repeated this lol but carrying a dedicated pocket camera is a chick thing (unless your on vacation) I can't wait for Nokia to come out with their devices since they'll have Carl Zeiss optics which, for smartphones, it makes everything else seem like a pointless addition to the device lol I said in another thread that Nokias cameras make iPhone 4 pics look like a three year old took em lol. Well, as for fixing the lens, look a couple of posts up on this thread, its post #4 I believe. Well check this video out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=lLlMu5ahB3M

Roadrunner#WP

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I have the HTC HD7. My camera lens broke within a month or two, and I'm pretty gentle with my phones; have never had any prior (since the beginning of cell phones) break.

The lens has 2 cracks on it, and half of the picture is always out of focus.

I have insurance with T-mobile, but it would probably be easier/cheaper to get it repaired than do the insurance (send phone back, figure out what to do w/o your phone, pay the deductible, etc).

I wonder if anybody local (Orlando, FL) does repairs or can just get the part. The lens looks like it might just unscrew.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos