picture quality

davidt77

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else have trouble getting a decent picture using the HD7s? All my pictures turn out blurry. I think it is because the camera moves a little when I push down the button.

BenSWoodruff

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
My wife's HD7 has some trouble with photos, though I'd say it's negligible compared to our old Motorola Droid 2 phones. It seems that Microsoft forced the manufacturers to stick with a minimum standard of quality in their components (not just specs, but quality of the parts used), so that the phones would cost a bit more than new Android phones, but actually work well enough in comparison.

I found when using her phone that making sure I held down the button for a sec first to let it acquire the focus level is good general procedure for taking pics. After the autofocus gets a lock, the second click of the two-stage camera button will usually come down pretty smoothly. If only these little LED lights did a better job in low light to help capture the photo and not just blind everyone in the room lol. Guess that's what I get for having high expectations ;-)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
It seems that Microsoft forced the manufacturers to stick with a minimum standard of quality in their components (not just specs, but quality of the parts used), so that the phones would cost a bit more than new Android phones, but actually work well enough in comparison.

;-)
And where exactly did you read or hear this.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

BenSWoodruff

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I googled "WP7 is too expensive" and this is what came up:

Here's an article talking about the fact that WP7 is mostly going after high-end smartphone market Windows Phone 7 sales "catastrophic" at 674,000? - Phone Arena

Here's an article talking about WP7 need to hit the low-end market, though they aren't really aimed for the low price points, again Is Microsoft Windows Phone 7 too expensive to succeed?

And this one basically paraphrases my point: "...it’s a closed and controlled platform with strict requirements for the devices that use it. This avoids fragmentation issues while still providing a range of different features, but sacrifices some forward progress in areas such as performance and innovation." MaximumTech | Windows Phone 7 Six-Month Report Card: Sales, Updates, and the Future

Requiring each manufacturer who use WP7 stick to certain hardware standards forces all of the devices to be in a certain quality bracket; 1GHz processor and 5 MP camera is not usually the kind of specs you see on low end devices. The result of this is the average of all WP7 devices will be a bit more expensive than the average of all Android devices, since there is a whole range of price points to look at in the latter and very few in the former. Though, I'm glad about this because I think Android manufacturers are making a lot of money right now off of junk, while they kill their consumer loyalty for shipping them that junk in the first place. Customers may be stupid enough to buy garbage (look at Motorola and LG), but the low quality and low price point phones that are locking people in to contracts with carriers are making some folks hate their Android over-lords. At least when someone buys a WP7 device, there is less likeliness to run into simple bad quality phone hardware related issues...don't mention software and Dell's hardware issues though lol, those are just common early adopter troubles ;-) I'm sure the first devices to be released with Mango will be of higher caliber than these first models...and geeze, Nokia!

I developed my opinion simply from reading about and seeing the trends...but these are a few examples I guess.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Ok, but Microsoft provided "minimum" specs, and yes they currently only specify certain processors for example. But shell material, memory type (nand vs. flash), camera components, screen type, and everything else are up to each OEM. The first round of devices saw a "play it safe" approach by the OEMs to see how WP7 would play out with consumers. That's just a good business decision. Aside from all the software issues with the DVP, because Dell didn't d their homework, the device design was excellent. As WP evolves you will see OEMs get more creative. Sure, to keep up with Android you will see mediocre, mid cost, designs. But you will also see some stellar devices. Nothing to do wth a dictate from Redmond to make phones with "cheap" components.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
My wife's HD7 has some trouble with photos, though I'd say it's negligible compared to our old Motorola Droid 2 phones. It seems that Microsoft forced the manufacturers to stick with a minimum standard of quality in their components (not just specs, but quality of the parts used), so that the phones would cost a bit more than new Android phones, but actually work well enough in comparison.

I found when using her phone that making sure I held down the button for a sec first to let it acquire the focus level is good general procedure for taking pics. After the autofocus gets a lock, the second click of the two-stage camera button will usually come down pretty smoothly. If only these little LED lights did a better job in low light to help capture the photo and not just blind everyone in the room lol. Guess that's what I get for having high expectations ;-)

wow unbelievable!!! i have never noticed this but youre exactly right... i have been getting very blurry pics because of the camera moving by having to push down so hard on the button. but if i push the first click down for auto focus ( which i never even knew about!!!) then push down for second click, it is perfect almost everytime!!!

i feel so dumb for having never noticed this befor, so glad i read this, lol.

greg_mitch

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
My HD7 takes awful pictures. I bought it used so I am not sure if the lens has a bunch of tiny micro scratches on it or what. The pictures are blurry and the colors are awful. Besides the camera the phone is awesome. I will be looking to replace once Mango phones in 4.3" screen size are around $300 used.

awesumjon

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the 2 stage camera helps with the auto-focus.
It also has continuous auto-focus so if you hold it still for a sec it will focus again.

Also, i find using the "Candlelight" scene also helps the picture look better.
The only problem is (as i'm sure you know) the camera doesn't keep the changed settings, but i think they are going to fix that with Mango

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923