08-20-2014 09:02 AM
102 12345
tools
    The M8 has a good camera...if we were still in 2009. Compared to phone cameras in 2014, it's utter rubbish. It's put to shame by the iPhone 5S camera, the S4 and S5 cameras and absolutely humiliated by any high end Nokia or Sony phone camera.

HTC's E8 13mp camera is better than the one on the M8.
    08-12-2014 07:37 PM
    Okay

Group link

http://1drv.ms/1sPs31T

Are these looking any better ?
    The camera has serious back-focus issue. Look at the 2 dog photos, face is not in focus but the hind legs are.
    08-12-2014 07:59 PM
    The theory that HTC is applying to their smartphone cameras is ok, not only resolution (megapixels) is important, sensor size is vital too. Since on a smartphone you have limited space, sensors can't be that big, and so HTC has developed that technology.

It's something similar to what Nokia did with the 808, they put together 7 pixels to form one, that way they could reach that crazy resolution + quality.

The main issue with HTC is low light conditions, ultrapixels are bigger and are supposed to catch more light, but that's not the case and lack of OIS make performance even worse.

Honestly Nokia has just way more experience developing smartphone cameras, even the 520 has a great one.
    Carl Zeiss lens are just wonderful.

Oh, and your can really notice why HTC used two rear cameras on this pic:

08-12-2014 08:13 PM
    The camera has serious back-focus issue. Look at the 2 dog photos, face is not in focus but the hind legs are.
    She wouldn't stop moving her head..lol

How about the other pictures

I'll take some low light shots and post them up. I know I'll have to play around with the settings some to find it's sweet spots.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    08-12-2014 08:31 PM
    The M8 has a good camera...if we were still in 2009. Compared to phone cameras in 2014, it's utter rubbish. It's put to shame by the iPhone 5S camera, the S4 and S5 cameras and absolutely humiliated by any high end Nokia or Sony phone camera.

HTC's E8 13mp camera is better than the one on the M8.
    Well that's not what I have read about it

08-12-2014 08:32 PM
    No brainer there.. L1020 blows the M8 out the water. No comparison at all.
    08-12-2014 09:01 PM
    <snip>How about the other pictures
    <snip>
    I like the 8th photo...
    08-12-2014 09:07 PM
    Well that's not what I have read about it

I suggest you try it yourself instead of just reading, then.
    I did and what I wrote is based on that experience I had.
    Of course, we don't all have the save levels of exigence. Mine are, admittedly, pretty high.
    08-13-2014 02:18 AM
    Isn't that kind of a contradiction? ;)
    Bahahha, it is.. bloody word flow I meant multiple! (quick shots)
    08-14-2014 08:26 AM
    For any regular smartphone user just looking for point and click, no fuss, no fiddling, any smartphone camera is fine.

Its for when you're looking for details or looking to get the best picture quality or however your level of detail taste is is when the camera quality starts coming into play.
    08-15-2014 11:31 PM
    FWIW, received an LG G3 yesterday. Reselling it but tried the camera quickly. Daylight it seems very nice. Sharp pics, good color/wb, fast to focus. Tried some comparisons with my 928 in the evening though, and ohhhh just pure garbage.

Dang it.
    08-16-2014 07:39 AM
    So is the camera on the M8/W8 really that bad? Does anybody have any comparing pictures to a Lumia?
    The M7 and M8 camera is highly underrated in my opinion. The low megapixel count allows for it to take photos lighting fast and because the individual pixels are larger you'll see more light.

The 4 Megapixel may not be usable for cropping however are good enough to show to your friends on the phone or upload to a social media website.

It's not a bad camera overall. Plus as long as you are viewing it on a 1080p screen there is a little bit of capacity for cropping.

But if you have a 4K screen, which barely any people do, you won't have any room to crop or zoom.
    08-16-2014 07:51 AM
    The M7 and M8 camera is highly underrated in my opinion. The low megapixel count allows for it to take photos lighting fast and because the individual pixels are larger you'll see more light.

The 4 Megapixel may not be usable for cropping however are good enough to show to your friends on the phone or upload to a social media website.

It's not a bad camera overall. Plus as long as you are viewing it on a 1080p screen there is a little bit of capacity for cropping.

But if you have a 4K screen, which barely any people do, you won't have any room to crop or zoom.
    Haha, crop one of those photos? Yeah, if you don't want quality at all. The iPhone takes faster and better pictures at 8 megapixels. The m8 is nigh unusable as a camera and anyone who says otherwise is compensating.
    08-16-2014 01:01 PM
    Haha, crop one of those photos? Yeah, if you don't want quality at all. The iPhone takes faster and better pictures at 8 megapixels. The m8 is nigh unusable as a camera and anyone who says otherwise is compensating.
    Most reviewers say that the camera of the HTC One is perfectly fine as long as you don't enlarge it on a huge TV or 4K monitor.

And honestly most of us just use mobile cameras to upload to social media or to show our friends on the phone.

The HTC One camera is by no means a bad camera sensor however you are right the iPhone 5S does have a much better one, but that's not what we are talking about here.

Try to contribute something relevant.
    08-16-2014 01:36 PM
    Most reviewers say that the camera of the HTC One is perfectly fine as long as you don't enlarge it on a huge TV or 4K monitor.

And honestly most of us just use mobile cameras to upload to social media or to show our friends on the phone.

The HTC One camera is by no means a bad camera sensor however you are right the iPhone 5S does have a much better one, but that's not what we are talking about here.

That is exactly what we're talking about here. A one year old phone takes better pictures than the M8. The main problem is that when the W8 is released, it will more than likely be sold for 199.99. Why pay flagship price and not get a flagship quality camera. It doesn't make sense. Hell, even the rumored 820, which is supposed to be a mid-level phone, is going to have a camera that will blow the W8 out of the water. It's amazing all of the M8 users coming out of the woodworks to defend the camera on it. It's just not that good to be in a flagship phone.
    theefman likes this.
    08-16-2014 01:45 PM

My Lumia 800 blew it out of the water 3+ years ago. I'm pretty sure my ancient HD2 was even much better.
    08-16-2014 02:05 PM
    Check out the iMore 5S vs M8 camera comparison and reach your own conclusion. The M8 outperforms the 5S in some areas, and lags well behind in others.

iPhone 5s vs. HTC One M8: Camera shootout! | iMore
    08-16-2014 02:14 PM
    That is exactly what we're talking about here. A one year old phone takes better pictures than the M8. The main problem is that when the W8 is released, it will more than likely be sold for 199.99. Why pay flagship price and not get a flagship quality camera. It doesn't make sense. Hell, even the rumored 820, which is supposed to be a mid-level phone, is going to have a camera that will blow the W8 out of the water. It's amazing all of the M8 users coming out of the woodworks to defend the camera on it. It's just not that good to be in a flagship phone.
    I don't personally own a HTC One, I own a Nexus 5 which has a camera sensor similar to that of the iPhone 5S.

Despite having 8 megapixels I have never felt the need to zoom into shots.

But the camera of the HTC One lags behind in sharpness and only sharpness, it is a very quick snapper that excels in lowlight and given the right circumstances can take great photos even in daylight.

My Lumia 800 blew it out of the water 3+ years ago. I'm pretty sure my ancient HD2 was even much better.
    Was it better in lowlight? I don't think so. Better in speed? Nope.
    08-16-2014 04:15 PM
    I don't personally own a HTC One, I own a Nexus 5 which has a camera sensor similar to that of the iPhone 5S.

Despite having 8 megapixels I have never felt the need to zoom into shots.

But the camera of the HTC One lags behind in sharpness and only sharpness, it is a very quick snapper that excels in lowlight and given the right circumstances can take great photos even in daylight.

Was it better in lowlight? I don't think so. Better in speed? Nope.
    The Lumia series destroys it in low light and only loses out in speed. The photos on the M8 are very low quality. I genuinely felt bad uploading some of the pictures of my kid because more than two feet out he was a blurry mess you could confuse for any other kid. I had an m8 two weeks ago and have the 1520 now in part because of how awful the camera is. I don't even know how you let that crap out on a high end phone. No wonder it doesn't take long to focus. It doesn't excel in clarity
    08-16-2014 09:18 PM
    If you go to Pocketnow's Youtube channel there is a comparison of the M8 and Xiaomi M4. They compare the cameras with pictures and the M8 offers more solid results even when the M4 has a 13 megapixel camera. Resolution might not be as good as the other current flagships, but it works. I wouldn't say it is that bad.
    08-16-2014 09:44 PM
    If you go to Pocketnow's Youtube channel there is a comparison of the M8 and Xiaomi M4. They compare the cameras with pictures and the M8 offers more solid results even when the M4 has a 13 megapixel camera. Resolution might not be as good as the other current flagships, but it works. I wouldn't say it is that bad.
    Pocketnow? You mean one of the most biased review sites ever?
    08-16-2014 10:28 PM
    I seriously won't argue with you anymore since I don't even have a HTC One but if you think Pocketnow is biased, check MKBHD's review.
    08-17-2014 04:21 AM
    I seriously won't argue with you anymore since I don't even have a HTC One but if you think Pocketnow is biased, check MKBHD's review.
    Plain and simple though, if you feel the M8 camera is good, you either have not used a high end phone in the last three-four years or you have **** poor vision.
    maevinj likes this.
    08-17-2014 06:24 AM
    Plain and simple though, if you feel the M8 camera is good, you either have not used a high end phone in the last three-four years or you have **** poor vision.
    Nope. The camera is good.

If you think the camera is the best then yes you are wrong. But you can't say it is bad.

Basically if your main preference is photography then the HTC W8 may not be the ideal choice but if you take a photo every now and then or you take 1080p footage every now and then, the camera of the HTC One will suffice.

Go see some of the photos people have taken with it.

In all honesty it doesn't just matter about the quality of the camera, what also matters is the skill of the photographer.

I've seen people take great photos with an iPhone 3GS and then I've seen people who can't take decent photos with a proper point and shoot.
    08-17-2014 06:28 AM
    Nope. The camera is good.

If you think the camera is the best then yes you are wrong. But you can't say it is bad.

Basically if your main preference is photography then the HTC W8 may not be the ideal choice but if you take a photo every now and then or you take 1080p footage every now and then, the camera of the HTC One will suffice.

Go see some of the photos people have taken with it.

In all honesty it doesn't just matter about the quality of the camera, what also matters is the skill of the photographer.

I've seen people take great photos with an iPhone 3GS and then I've seen people who can't take decent photos with a proper point and shoot.
    You can take interesting pictures with a low quality camera and on a tiny screen if you squint the right way you may be able to say you can't see just how low the resolution is. That said, if you couldn't tell how low quality the resolution is, you'd have been just as well off sticking to a 480p or lower screen because from someone who has actually owned the phone, it's bad. Build quality feels nice enough, screen is great and the auto brightness is bar none the best in any device I've used. Were it not for the OS, I might consider it despite it's camera failing miserably but when it's beat out by phones that are 4+ years old in that regard, I can't take it seriously. I'll copy the Mona Lisa in oil pastel and you do the same in grape jelly. Let's see which turns out better.
    maevinj likes this.
    08-17-2014 02:17 PM
102 12345