Is the camera on the M8/W8 really that bad?

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, but when I click on those the resolution is only 1024 x 579. And that's my point. They look good at that resolution, but the ones I found with higher resolution didn't look as good. Like I said, it will be a good camera for social media sharing, especially Instagram, but for anything else, I feel it will be lacking.

Hmm..well when I look at it on my iMac it's 2688x1520

OK,I need to be able to post a link to the actual file because it does make a great deal of difference.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Hmm..well when I look at it on my iMac it's 2688x1520

OK,I need to be able to post a link to the actual file because it does make a great deal of difference.
Unfortunately if you want to be able to print pics a computer screen can't judg e it without zooming in on the pic. Even a 4k screen only equates to 4mp.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately if you want to be able to print pics a computer screen can't judg e it without zooming in on the pic. Even a 4k screen only equates to 4mp.

Ok,but when I zoom in on my iMac it shows that resolution and looks fantastic.

I must be doing something wrong to not be able to show this here????????

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The M8 has a good camera...if we were still in 2009. Compared to phone cameras in 2014, it's utter rubbish. It's put to shame by the iPhone 5S camera, the S4 and S5 cameras and absolutely humiliated by any high end Nokia or Sony phone camera.

HTC's E8 13mp camera is better than the one on the M8.

SergyOrtiz

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
The theory that HTC is applying to their smartphone cameras is ok, not only resolution (megapixels) is important, sensor size is vital too. Since on a smartphone you have limited space, sensors can't be that big, and so HTC has developed that technology.

It's something similar to what Nokia did with the 808, they put together 7 pixels to form one, that way they could reach that crazy resolution + quality.

The main issue with HTC is low light conditions, ultrapixels are bigger and are supposed to catch more light, but that's not the case and lack of OIS make performance even worse.

Honestly Nokia has just way more experience developing smartphone cameras, even the 520 has a great one.
Carl Zeiss lens are just wonderful.

Oh, and your can really notice why HTC used two rear cameras on this pic:

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
The camera has serious back-focus issue. Look at the 2 dog photos, face is not in focus but the hind legs are.

She wouldn't stop moving her head..lol

How about the other pictures

I'll take some low light shots and post them up. I know I'll have to play around with the settings some to find it's sweet spots.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
The M8 has a good camera...if we were still in 2009. Compared to phone cameras in 2014, it's utter rubbish. It's put to shame by the iPhone 5S camera, the S4 and S5 cameras and absolutely humiliated by any high end Nokia or Sony phone camera.

HTC's E8 13mp camera is better than the one on the M8.

Well that's not what I have read about it

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well that's not what I have read about it

I suggest you try it yourself instead of just reading, then.
I did and what I wrote is based on that experience I had.
Of course, we don't all have the save levels of exigence. Mine are, admittedly, pretty high.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
For any regular smartphone user just looking for point and click, no fuss, no fiddling, any smartphone camera is fine.

Its for when you're looking for details or looking to get the best picture quality or however your level of detail taste is is when the camera quality starts coming into play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12