Is the camera on the M8/W8 really that bad?

kc77

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I was kind of put off by the camera at first, but after I looked into it further, the pictures rally aren't that bad. Of course, I'm not printing off any pictures I take so it's probably why I think they look fine. I'll have to go to the Verizon store to get a hands on with it.

hal Turnage

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
No the camera is not bad at all! It's fast as hell and zoe's are really cool. Sure it's not a 1020 but when compared to s5 or G3 it can hold its own. I use it now on my M8, and I also have a 152p and 1020.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
No the camera is not bad at all! It's fast as hell and zoe's are really cool. Sure it's not a 1020 but when compared to s5 or G3 it can hold its own. I use it now on my M8, and I also have a 152p and 1020.

Too bad Zoe isn't on the WP version.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

I've noticed the speed. The second lens also allows it to focus superfast. It's a solid camera. If you want a professional level one, you need the 1020 or 1520. The 1020 takes it's sweet time, but it's worth it.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Is Microsoft going to let their other OEMs use Nokia's JPEG processing algorithms ? They own them now so they can do whatever they want..

Either way, I can't wait to see pics from the WP and the Android version and see which one has better software processing. Same goes for video and audio recording :)

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The theory that HTC is applying to their smartphone cameras is ok, not only resolution (megapixels) is important, sensor size is vital too. Since on a smartphone you have limited space, sensors can't be that big, and so HTC has developed that technology.

It's something similar to what Nokia did with the 808, they put together 7 pixels to form one, that way they could reach that crazy resolution + quality.

The main issue with HTC is low light conditions, ultrapixels are bigger and are supposed to catch more light, but that's not the case and lack of OIS make performance even worse.

Honestly Nokia has just way more experience developing smartphone cameras, even the 520 has a great one.
Carl Zeiss lens are just wonderful.

Oh, and your can really notice why HTC used two rear cameras on this pic:

The size of the sensor is the most important thing.. the bigger the area that can capture light, the better. The pixel size vs. pixel density is an ongoing debate... Nokia went with pixel density, and I think its the right call for mobile devices. There was talk that they will go even further with 60-80Mpix count.

Most DSLR (Nikon D8xx being the exception) still bet on fewer, but bigger pixels.. generally that gives you better dynamic range and arguably better low light performance.

So, like most things the best choice is probably somewhere in the middle, but we will have to wait and see.

You can actually watch how Apple is going to start pushing bigger pixels instead of pixel count with the next iPhone.. going by the rumored Sony sensor, and according to my calculations, the iPhone 6 will come with ~1.9 micron pixels and Apple are going to go on a marketing frenzy.. it will be fun to watch.

That being said, I expect the new iPhone to perform extremely well.. I expect great dynamic range and decent low light performance. The only question mark is the optics .. that narrow/square look is unacceptable, let's hope they can match Nokia. The other thing is the flash.. no xenon = no flash :)

Back to the sensor .. just look at this for example

cG1wcGK.jpg

Notice how the GS5 had to use a much higher ISO in order to gather similar amount of light compared to the Nokia device.. light gathering ability is very important

k6fnpbP.jpg

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
if you love the htc one camera that's fine mate but a lot of us want the best camera we can get so when we look back in 10 years times we don't think I wish I had my other camera with me , because we had great optics on our phones ;-) you will regret using the htc one in 10/20 years time trust me ;-)
Sorry, but that is just an ignorant statement. You are assuming that everybody is pixel watching. I own a 1520 and know it captures great pictures. However, not everybody is into getting details of a shot. Some people are more into getting THE MOMENT. As someone that spent a ton of money getting the Canon Mark III for the speed and quality of its pictures, I can tell you that if I am going to hang out with my kids in some random spot, I will love to have a phone like the M8 that autofocuses and captures the shot in less than a second. I cannot begin to tell you how many moments I have missed when using the Lumia 1520. It captures great shots when it captures them but boy, does it take a long time to capture.
Bottom line, your needs are not the needs of everybody else. You may enjoy taking a stroll and capturing artistic pictures... the Lumia is great for that. However, others may prefer to capture the snort falling off their daughter's nose before it hits the ground and could not care less about the quality or pixel count.
So, do not tell those people they will regret getting this phone because, you will be wrong. Dead wrong.
Enjoy your phone. Remember, we all have different needs.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Um, you know Nokia has been pushing BOTH pixel density and sensor size, right?

I was referring to pixel size vs. pixel density .. the last camera phone from Nokia to come with large physical pixels was the Nokia N8 @ 1.75?m

The 808 is at 1.4 ,

the 1020 is at 1.1

Let's say that they decide to use the same sensor size as the one in the 1020, but using new tech they manage to push the density in the 60Mpix range.. that would produce pixels in the ~0.7?m range, which is crazy :)

... so they've been pushing density over size in terms of the actual pixels. There is way more to it that I don't understand, but what I do know is that the bigger the pixels, the bulkier the optics, so in terms of mobile that might be a limitation.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I played with my friend's M& to test the camera at my pre-b-day bash.

The Camera is not horrible and it does take great selfies(for that alone it is a plus) but other than that my 1520 beats the snot out of it imo, the back camera is literally Average at best. It may be good for social networking but even then I rather upload a pic from my Lumia vs an m8

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Actually, the "Superman" selfie phone is suppose to be the Lumia 730 and will be inferior to the M8 in almost every way.

Rumored specs of 730:
540p display
1GB RAM
No dedicated camera button
Snapdragon 600
6.1 MP camera with mono flash

Basically, it'll be midrange at best.

Compare that to the M8 that is very high end with:
1080p
2GB RAM
Also no camera button
Snapdragon 801
4 ultrapixel camera with dual light/dark flash

Cckgz4, unless you need Nokia specific apps or are on a budget, I'd really suggest the M8 as the 730 will be a massive downgrade from it.

Snoops8

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Here are two reasons I require a decent camera on my smartphone. I have a kid. My kid does awesome things at random time. I can't carry my DSLR and my smartphone everywhere we go. Second, I enjoy taking pictures of random things while I'm driving. I can't keep my DSLR in my car because I live in one of the most crime riddled cities in the country.
I don't expect DSLR quality, but I do expect a flagship phone to have a camera better than my two year old phone. The rumored 820 that is supposedly a mid-level phone has a better Camera than this. It however doesn't have the other specs which is why I am looking at the possibility of getting the W8 I'm not asking for the M8 to have a camera like the 1020, but I think it needs to be something better than what it is. If they release the W8 and it's 99.99 w/2-year contract, then I can handle a lower quality camera. However it will probably be 199.99 with a 2-year and that is unacceptable to me.

Actually the two reasons you mention favor the HTC One M8 vs. the Nokia 1020.

1. Since you have a child, you know that your child moves quickly and as you put it, "does awesome things at random time." That being the case, you want quick autofocus, and quick shot to shot times, both of which heavily favor the HTC phone. Not even a close call here.

2. You mention you like to take pictures while driving. Well I don't recommend driving and taking pictures at the same time, but you probably want a camera that starts up faster and focuses faster if you're going to take pictures with it while operating a motor vehicle.

I've played with the 1020 before, and while I don't doubt that the camera is very good for a smartphone, it is slow and cumbersome. The 1020 will be better for landscape shots or situations when you can take your time, while the M8 will be better for more spontaneous picture taking or sports/fast activities.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6