Flash WP to att HTC One M8?

Tyler Swindell

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Once the HTC One M8 for Windows is released, would it be possible to dump the system and flash to it M8s with unlocked bootloaders with s-off perhaps? I have at&t, I'm tired of how large my 1520 is, the apps look too big. I want a 5 inch device, and the 930 isn't available on at&t. If I get the One M8 with Android, I want to be able to flash WP to it. Anybody think this is possible?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Once the HTC One M8 for Windows is released, would it be possible to dump the system and flash to it M8s with unlocked bootloaders with s-off perhaps? I have at&t, I'm tired of how large my 1520 is, the apps look too big. I want a 5 inch device, and the 930 isn't available on at&t. If I get the One M8 with Android, I want to be able to flash WP to it. Anybody think this is possible?

Interesting idea! I know that after the Google Play edition of the HTC One was released, it was possible to take the regular HTC One and flash it to GPE.

As long as the bootloader is unlocked, and a flashable WP OS for the device is available, it might theoretically be possible. But is the WP device hardware going to be identical to the Android version? That would play into it as well.

The other thing is Microsoft. Do each WP have some kind of activation like Windows? I don't know. I kind of doubt it since the OS is free, and the main purpose of product keys is to eliminate bootlegging.

Tyler Swindell

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Daniel said no in a reply to a tweet I sent him, but I didn't know he replied yet so I made a topic on the forums here, I'm curious as to why he doesn't think so. It's supposedly the exact same hardware. And you are right tgp, this is why I thought about it, because I did it before with M7, I put the Google Edition ROM on my att M7 variant.

I don't think activation would matter, they flashed WP's OS to the HTC HD2 before. If there was a problem I'm sure they would circumvent it somehow.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Now this hinges on how close the devices are and whether the bootloaders will allow it.
I would imagine the Windows version to somehow be different, although to what extent, I don't know.

You can't say for sure whether you can flash it to Android and vice versa, we can only speculate until the boys over at XDA who do this kind of things get a better look.

Tyler Swindell

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
This is very interesting, if so, I'll definitely be getting the M8 for Windows. But in all honesty, I'm very tired of having both an Android phone and a Windows Phone for the sake of having some of the root apps Android has.

I can't live without ViPER4Android or SnapSave, I also love being able to change my DPI and Google Play Music that actually works very well.

But at the same time, I love Windows Phone ever since WP7. And I really can't wait until Threshold Mobile! Just like how Android is about to get Android L.

What would I do if I loved iOS...omg I'm so glad I've stayed away and never had a temptation to go back!

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Why do you say no? I realize they're 2 different handsets, but the HTC HD2 can run WP, Android, Firefox OS, and even Windows RT (seriously). What evidence is there that this HTC phone will have a more locked down boot loader than their previous hardware? Or do you know of a hardware change that will prevent it?

Tyler Swindell

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Why do you say no? I realize they're 2 different handsets, but the HTC HD2 can run WP, Android, Firefox OS, and even Windows RT (seriously). What evidence is there that this HTC phone will have a more locked down boot loader than their previous hardware? Or do you know of a hardware change that will prevent it?

I just tweeted upleaks to confirm some info, Daniel is right about the Tuesday event not including att variant. But an att varient is coming in the next few weeks. But I'm not quite sure why he keeps saying no to using WP on an Android M8 or the other way...upleaks tweeted this about this surprisingly.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I just tweeted upleaks to confirm some info, Daniel is right about the Tuesday event not including att variant. But an att varient is coming in the next few weeks. But I'm not quite sure why he keeps saying no to using WP on an Android M8 or the other way...upleaks tweeted this about this surprisingly.

Dude, if we can dual-boot this thing...... Holy sh*t

Tyler Swindell

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Yea...he's talking stupid now lol. If its flashable to a regular M8, I don't have doubts it'll eventually be done, and he even says we would need to make it work ourselves which doesn't make sense because we would need to do work ourselves to port it in the first place lol...

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I guess we'll have to see in a few days when XDA gets their hands on this thing. I think the rumor was announced on the 19th and sold on the 20th. Upleaks is drunk lol. Did he think we really meant that we wanted to be able to download 8.1 on our phones and install it or something?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Sorry but, I have not seen any fact on hardware that would make it different from the Android version, I could be incorrect here but, would love to hear more than a "NO". HTC devices have been hacked before. Crap, you can put Windows Phone 8.1 on a HTC HD2... (A Windows Mobile device)

I say give it a few months, let the guys over at XDA play with it for a bit....but, if they hardware is almost exact and the Android version has been rooted already....well you know where I am going with this...

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Verizon contact has said there's an exclusivity window for the One M8 for Windows. Expect it to last through much of the NFL season because the One M8 for Windows will be getting heavy marketing push in NFL games all season by two big NFL partners, Microsoft and Verizon Wireless. MS will be pushing Surface and Windows Phone via the HTC One M8 and Verizon will be partnering on lots of ads. Expect it to also be mentioned in the "Brought to you by" segments of games.

It may come to AT&T, but I'd guess the exclusivity window extends through the regular season for the NFL. It is no accident it is launching right before the NFL season. You will see lots of ads for this on all NFL games this year according to a source in VZW.

digitalicecream

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
upleaks indicated bootloaders are compatible, but may be locked, however since the Android version can be ROM'd and it's just a matter of "reading" the windows phone ROM, it may not be impossible to do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo