02-21-2015 01:52 PM
61 123
tools
    Once the HTC One M8 for Windows is released, would it be possible to dump the system and flash to it M8s with unlocked bootloaders with s-off perhaps? I have at&t, I'm tired of how large my 1520 is, the apps look too big. I want a 5 inch device, and the 930 isn't available on at&t. If I get the One M8 with Android, I want to be able to flash WP to it. Anybody think this is possible?
    08-13-2014 03:11 PM
    let us know ...
    08-13-2014 03:15 PM
    Once the HTC One M8 for Windows is released, would it be possible to dump the system and flash to it M8s with unlocked bootloaders with s-off perhaps? I have at&t, I'm tired of how large my 1520 is, the apps look too big. I want a 5 inch device, and the 930 isn't available on at&t. If I get the One M8 with Android, I want to be able to flash WP to it. Anybody think this is possible?
    Interesting idea! I know that after the Google Play edition of the HTC One was released, it was possible to take the regular HTC One and flash it to GPE.

As long as the bootloader is unlocked, and a flashable WP OS for the device is available, it might theoretically be possible. But is the WP device hardware going to be identical to the Android version? That would play into it as well.

The other thing is Microsoft. Do each WP have some kind of activation like Windows? I don't know. I kind of doubt it since the OS is free, and the main purpose of product keys is to eliminate bootlegging.
    08-13-2014 03:27 PM
    Daniel said no in a reply to a tweet I sent him, but I didn't know he replied yet so I made a topic on the forums here, I'm curious as to why he doesn't think so. It's supposedly the exact same hardware. And you are right tgp, this is why I thought about it, because I did it before with M7, I put the Google Edition ROM on my att M7 variant.

I don't think activation would matter, they flashed WP's OS to the HTC HD2 before. If there was a problem I'm sure they would circumvent it somehow.
    08-13-2014 03:32 PM
    I saw a tweet somewhere that stated the M8 for Windows was coming to AT&T.
    08-13-2014 03:41 PM
    I'm pretty sure it isn't, it's a Verizon exclusive. We're getting the Lumia 730 and 830.
    08-13-2014 04:14 PM
    08-13-2014 09:06 PM
    Now this hinges on how close the devices are and whether the bootloaders will allow it.
    I would imagine the Windows version to somehow be different, although to what extent, I don't know.

You can't say for sure whether you can flash it to Android and vice versa, we can only speculate until the boys over at XDA who do this kind of things get a better look.
    08-13-2014 09:18 PM
    This is very interesting, if so, I'll definitely be getting the M8 for Windows. But in all honesty, I'm very tired of having both an Android phone and a Windows Phone for the sake of having some of the root apps Android has.

I can't live without ViPER4Android or SnapSave, I also love being able to change my DPI and Google Play Music that actually works very well.

But at the same time, I love Windows Phone ever since WP7. And I really can't wait until Threshold Mobile! Just like how Android is about to get Android L.

What would I do if I loved iOS...omg I'm so glad I've stayed away and never had a temptation to go back!
    08-14-2014 12:23 AM
    Once the HTC One M8 for Windows is released, would it be possible to dump the system and flash to it M8s with unlocked bootloaders with s-off perhaps?
    No.
    08-14-2014 01:07 AM
    Sorry wrong leak!AT&T will also offer HTC W8.
    I would not expect AT&T at Tuesday's announcement. Verizon only.
    maevinj likes this.
    08-14-2014 01:08 AM
    No.
    Why do you say no? I realize they're 2 different handsets, but the HTC HD2 can run WP, Android, Firefox OS, and even Windows RT (seriously). What evidence is there that this HTC phone will have a more locked down boot loader than their previous hardware? Or do you know of a hardware change that will prevent it?
    08-14-2014 01:51 PM
    Why do you say no? I realize they're 2 different handsets, but the HTC HD2 can run WP, Android, Firefox OS, and even Windows RT (seriously). What evidence is there that this HTC phone will have a more locked down boot loader than their previous hardware? Or do you know of a hardware change that will prevent it?
    I just tweeted upleaks to confirm some info, Daniel is right about the Tuesday event not including att variant. But an att varient is coming in the next few weeks. But I'm not quite sure why he keeps saying no to using WP on an Android M8 or the other way...upleaks tweeted this about this surprisingly.

After reading this, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that if HBOOT is on the Windows M8 and it can be unlocked, an Android recovery could essentially be used to backup the system, which could be used to restore to another device or made into a flashable ROM. And with MultiROM, we could dual-boot between the two.
    DavidinCT and xandros9 like this.
    08-14-2014 09:30 PM
    I just tweeted upleaks to confirm some info, Daniel is right about the Tuesday event not including att variant. But an att varient is coming in the next few weeks. But I'm not quite sure why he keeps saying no to using WP on an Android M8 or the other way...upleaks tweeted this about this surprisingly.

After reading this, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that if HBOOT is on the Windows M8 and it can be unlocked, an Android recovery could essentially be used to backup the system, which could be used to restore to another device or made into a flashable ROM. And with MultiROM, we could dual-boot between the two.
    Dude, if we can dual-boot this thing...... Holy sh*t
    08-15-2014 10:42 PM
    Upleaks seems to think we won't be able to dual-boot

https://twitter.com/upleaks/status/500227961643991041

If it's possible to flash WP8.1 on this thing, I'm getting this when my contract expires.
    08-16-2014 11:58 AM
    Yea...he's talking stupid now lol. If its flashable to a regular M8, I don't have doubts it'll eventually be done, and he even says we would need to make it work ourselves which doesn't make sense because we would need to do work ourselves to port it in the first place lol...
    08-16-2014 12:55 PM
    I guess we'll have to see in a few days when XDA gets their hands on this thing. I think the rumor was announced on the 19th and sold on the 20th. Upleaks is drunk lol. Did he think we really meant that we wanted to be able to download 8.1 on our phones and install it or something?
    08-16-2014 01:26 PM
    No.
    Sorry but, I have not seen any fact on hardware that would make it different from the Android version, I could be incorrect here but, would love to hear more than a "NO". HTC devices have been hacked before. Crap, you can put Windows Phone 8.1 on a HTC HD2... (A Windows Mobile device)

I say give it a few months, let the guys over at XDA play with it for a bit....but, if they hardware is almost exact and the Android version has been rooted already....well you know where I am going with this...
    08-19-2014 10:07 AM
    Verizon contact has said there's an exclusivity window for the One M8 for Windows. Expect it to last through much of the NFL season because the One M8 for Windows will be getting heavy marketing push in NFL games all season by two big NFL partners, Microsoft and Verizon Wireless. MS will be pushing Surface and Windows Phone via the HTC One M8 and Verizon will be partnering on lots of ads. Expect it to also be mentioned in the "Brought to you by" segments of games.

It may come to AT&T, but I'd guess the exclusivity window extends through the regular season for the NFL. It is no accident it is launching right before the NFL season. You will see lots of ads for this on all NFL games this year according to a source in VZW.
    08-19-2014 10:18 AM
    upleaks indicated bootloaders are compatible, but may be locked, however since the Android version can be ROM'd and it's just a matter of "reading" the windows phone ROM, it may not be impossible to do.
    08-19-2014 03:47 PM
    Personally, I would like to take a Verizon HTC M8 and put Windows Phone on it to use on Verizon's network....It's something about not having Physical buttons that drive me nuts..
    08-19-2014 07:56 PM
    I would not expect AT&T at Tuesday's announcement. Verizon only.
    Daniel was wrong! WHAT DARK SORCERY IS THIS? DANIEL IS NEVER WRONG!
    08-19-2014 08:00 PM
    Personally, I would like to take a Verizon HTC M8 and put Windows Phone on it to use on Verizon's network....It's something about not having Physical buttons that drive me nuts..
    The Android M8 has on screen buttons too, so I don't understand what you are saying.
    08-19-2014 08:01 PM
    I wont trust this htc itself...in windows phone...these guys wont support the mobile....example HTC 8X...still has many issues with windows updates and doesnt care about their product...so dont buy this ****ty mobile and suffer...buy nokia....very very pooor customer service with htc
    08-20-2014 01:56 AM
    I wont trust this htc itself...in windows phone...these guys wont support the mobile....example HTC 8X...still has many issues with windows updates and doesnt care about their product...so dont buy this ****ty mobile and suffer...buy nokia....very very pooor customer service with htc
    I really think they'll care a lot about this one. This phone even has HTC Advantage, a service where HTC replaces or fixes your phone if you break it at no charge.
    08-20-2014 02:43 AM
61 123