Does anyone else think that an OLED screen would have been a better choice for this phone?

Especially when considering use with the dot view case?
    08-19-2014 10:27 AM
    Speaking of screens, I don't know if it just me, but has anyone else noticed that the colors from the screen look washed out? If you look at the pictures from almost every tech site, including WPCentral, they all look the same. Take the Bing News tile. It's supposed to be red and it looks pink.

Also, I think Windows Phone in general benefits better from OLED/Amoled screens. The 925 screen looks way better than the 920 due to the screen difference.
    RJ Priest likes this.
    08-19-2014 11:37 AM
    I can only speak from seeing the Android version, but it is more vibrant than my 928's AMOLED. The colors may be a bit off because AMOLED and LCD produce different color temps.

As for dot view, I believe it can just turn on certain pixels and I'm not sure how many backlights there are.
    08-19-2014 12:26 PM
    I can only speak from seeing the Android version, but it is more vibrant than my 928's AMOLED. The colors may be a bit off because AMOLED and LCD produce different color temps.

As for dot view, I believe it can just turn on certain pixels and I'm not sure how many backlights there are.
    That's what I'm focusing on: the backlight. If you're using the dot view cover, wouldn't the backlight have to stay on for you to be able to see the screen? Seems like extra power draw.
    08-19-2014 12:40 PM
    That's what I'm focusing on: the backlight. If you're using the dot view cover, wouldn't the backlight have to stay on for you to be able to see the screen? Seems like extra power draw.
    I believe Dot View is enabled manually, so I don't think its going to be just like Glance (like being always on), which is more passive.
    08-19-2014 04:08 PM
    Hmmm ok
    08-19-2014 05:12 PM
    For dot view purposes an amoled screen would be more efficient since individual leds can be turned on versus the entire screen for an LCD display. Other than that I prefer LCD.
    WPenvy and xandros9 like this.
    08-19-2014 08:17 PM
    For dot view purposes an amoled screen would be more efficient since individual leds can be turned on versus the entire screen for an LCD display. Other than that I prefer LCD.
    My point exactly. I have no idea why they opted for an LCD screen, knowing full-well that they would be marketing the phone with the dot view case.
    08-19-2014 10:27 PM
    My point exactly. I have no idea why they opted for an LCD screen, knowing full-well that they would be marketing the phone with the dot view case.
    AMOLED is definitely nicer for the WP OS, however, and correct me if i am wrong, but HTC has never used AMOLED on any of their phones whether it be android or WP
    08-19-2014 11:18 PM
    AMOLED is definitely nicer for the WP OS, however, and correct me if i am wrong, but HTC has never used AMOLED on any of their phones whether it be android or WP
    I'm not sure if they have or not, but it's incredibly foolish to pass it up. Especially since the screen on a smartphone is what causes the most power draw.
    08-19-2014 11:39 PM
    Considering the M8 has been out for a while using the dot view case with the LCD screen must not hurt the battery that much, because I haven't read any complaints about it even though theoretically an amoled screen would be more efficient in that application. The LG G2 and G3 also use LCD screens with their quick window cases. For me I'm glad the M8 had LCD because I prefer that over amoled.
    08-20-2014 04:29 AM
    For me I'm glad the M8 had LCD because I prefer that over amoled.
    I will say the screen on the G3 is pretty spiffy, though I think WP with the ease of dark backgrounds/light-text is tailor made for AMOLED.

Let the internet holy wars begin...

Miracle Whip vs Mayo
    TP: over the top or under?
    Acceptable hot dog toppings
    AMOLED vs LCD
    xandros9 and Brandon McLean like this.
    08-20-2014 04:47 AM