08-31-2014 01:16 AM
130 1234 ...
tools
    Because it is a Hand me down. The Phone originated as an Android Phone. It began there...it's almost like Samsung releasing the Galaxy for Windows. While the Ativ S line-up is similar it is still Windows Phone Esque. Nobody would look at an Ativ and get confused.

If i got a ONE M8 for windows, I don't want anyone to look at it and assume it is the Android version first. At least with Lumias you KNOW it is Windows Phone and that alone helps with word of mouth.

"I want that Yellow phone. That red. Etc etc"

Furthermore, what would have been better is if they would have evolved their 8X line-up....that would be less of a hand me down because it could be an evolution.

Whether people want to admit it or not, the device is awesome yes, but nonetheless still a hand me down from HTC. Meaning the next time the next android version comes, you'll STILL likely be behind and second class because the next version(if this device even does well) of the windows one will always be behind.

Even if they would have released it at the same time as the Android version(or at least announced it would be coming), it would've been better because it would feel less like a hand me down. At the very least throw some color into it to make it look somewhat different and made for windows phone.

People keep going on about the 800/801 cpu....really? Marginal difference and I'd hope so considering the M8 is the newer device.
    Don't they have the same amount of Ram as the Icon?

I'll give you the Speaker and the SD card...though i couldn't care less about the first and I have the latter in my 1520 and it's not that big of a deal to me. But to each their own.

I held the icon and the M8(android) and i honestly prefer the build of Nokia's Icon over the m8.
    Wow does it matter that HTC did not make a phone with windows in mind????
    HTC right now financially don't have money to waste developing a new device specifically for windows phone so the smart thing was to use the same hardware and make life easier / cheaper.

Yes the HTC is a good phone spec and design wise
    Yes the Ativ line from Samsung will always be last years Galaxy with a spec boost ... (S4 any one??).
    YES the Lumia line is a distinctive and recognizable and durable yada yada ...
    but at the end of the day its a phone which one you go with does not matter.

Ok HTC designed the phone for android but it does not matter since its a solid device with a not so solid camera.
    Fact is MS and Nokia have been dropping the ball a while now ..... hence why i was Android tried windows and will go back to Android. Until MS / Nokia get back in the game.
    Right now HTC has the best device in the game even with its flaws and MS is now trying to get itself back to where it was and its focus on windows ...

I would but the HTC one M8 with windows why
    1) most likely i can change the OS to andriod and back to windows again (maybe dual boot) so as MS does with they need to with windows and improve it i can see if the OS has matured enough for me to use as a daily driver.
    2) its stylish with nice accessories and features (Nokia should have had stereo speakers cuz they did in the past with many phones why not use those past innovations in the Lumias we will never know.
    3) i love the specs
    4) MS / Nokia have no premium devices coming soon and it will be a while before they do so enjoy your long wait.

Honestly i want MS to do well with windows but its shortcomings are to many for my taste its like they have gotten lazy some what. so ill be back and forth with windows phone and android.

That and the apps are no where near the quality they should be. This new CEO looks like he will change the attitude MS has that's why im looking forward to WP 9 and Windows 9.

Hand me down or not the HTC on paper is a better phone if camera is the issue that's the only downside i can see.
    samsung wont even put its latest and greatest into a windows phone so i commend HTC here .

Maybe as MS and Samsung mend their issues we will see a premium WP Samsung cuz honesly the Galaxy alpha will do well with windows phone on it and maybe Samsung will bring some stuff or ideas over from Android...
    If HTC does well with this device maybe they will design a phone exclusively for windows from the ground up once they are financially stable again ... its all about resources finances and logistics for HTC at this point ..
    08-20-2014 06:18 PM
    I have the android version and people are forgetting it has the best FFC around!

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android
    Brandon Tobias likes this.
    08-20-2014 07:51 PM
    I have the android version and people are forgetting it has the best FFC around!

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

The Lumia 830 soon will also have the same resolution
    08-20-2014 08:23 PM
    So far so good. The phone is much lighter and has a nice feel to it. I opted against the dot view cover because I think it's ugly, got the regular verizon silicone case instead. The phone is blazing fast. I've only had it a day but I'd say overall it's faster than the Icon. Took a few pictures. Obviously it's no Lumia when it comes to cameras, but HTC has some respectable photo app suite themselves and I can definitely live with what they have. Now I just need to head to newegg and cop a micro sd so I can cram this baby with music after my wallet recovers

Overall I'm happy with my purchase so far.
    08-21-2014 12:49 AM
    i think HTC is better but icon can live for a while
    08-21-2014 01:13 AM
    What the M8 doesn't have is an equalizer.
    That's weird. HTC was the first to add EQ to Windows Phones back in the WP7 days if I recall correctly; it'd be disappointing if they removed that feature.
    08-21-2014 02:44 AM
    unless you're a professional photographer the camera on the m8 will do just fine. I personally am not a professional photographer.
    Very true. And if you're a professional photographer, you will need something better than a smart phone camera anyway.
    08-21-2014 03:07 AM
    I don't see this phone give me anything new I didn't have and I'd actually need (I have a 930), but I still don't understand why so many Nokia-owners are so hostile towards WPs other than Nokia. I've seen the same happen especially with ATIV in the best, 8X to a lesser extent.

The difference in specs is so marginal that there reall is none, so it largely comes down to preference in looks, storage option, camera, etc.
    manwe and scottcraft like this.
    08-21-2014 03:54 AM
    It's great that HTC have brought the M8 to Windows. And it shows they have faith in the Windows platform. For that I respect them.

It's also a very nice phone. For me, an ex Android user for 4 years, the design doesn't do it for me - but it's all very subjective, and it boils down to personal tastes.
    08-21-2014 04:09 AM
    I don't see this phone give me anything new I didn't have and I'd actually need (I have a 930), but I still don't understand why so many Nokia-owners are so hostile towards WPs other than Nokia. I've seen the same happen especially with ATIV in the best, 8X to a lesser extent.

The difference in specs is so marginal that there reall is none, so it largely comes down to preference in looks, storage option, camera, etc.

My bf ordered this phone, unfortunately. We had an interesting debate about this phone. He said he was curious to try it out and wasn't planning to leave Lumia but wanted to know why I was so anti one.

Idk about the other Nokia owners but for me I truly hate that this is what windows phone is becoming. We were excited for great hardware that was more original and made for windows.

People are literally excited over scraps. This phone is over 5-6 months old and I hate the thought that the os had to be dumb down enough just for us to get rehashes.

More importantly it is a slap in the face of Nokia owners if this is apart of the reason there may not be a high end Lumia coming. Because Microsoft wants to appease these OEMs who have done nothing for the platform.

I respect the new OEMs we have gotten but Samsung and HTC I do not respect at all. They make great hardware and do nothing for this platform.

But hey if people want to throw money at HTC I hope they wont be complaining about poor support and apps.

Me myself I stick with the trusted experience of Lumia/microsoft.
    iluvtilz likes this.
    08-21-2014 05:17 AM
    only if you are holding the phone, if its on a desk there is no double tap to wake.
    It wakes on double tap when lying on a desk.
    08-21-2014 06:02 AM
    My bf ordered this phone, unfortunately. We had an interesting debate about this phone. He said he was curious to try it out and wasn't planning to leave Lumia but wanted to know why I was so anti one.

Idk about the other Nokia owners but for me I truly hate that this is what windows phone is becoming. We were excited for great hardware that was more original and made for windows.

People are literally excited over scraps. This phone is over 5-6 months old and I hate the thought that the os had to be dumb down enough just for us to get rehashes.

More importantly it is a slap in the face of Nokia owners if this is apart of the reason there may not be a high end Lumia coming. Because Microsoft wants to appease these OEMs who have done nothing for the platform.

I respect the new OEMs we have gotten but Samsung and HTC I do not respect at all. They make great hardware and do nothing for this platform.

But hey if people want to throw money at HTC I hope they wont be complaining about poor support and apps.

Not sure I'm worried about support. WP now does everything I need it to. For me, this is a perfectly functioning smartphone. When hardware and software mesh up to cover all my bases, I start fearing updates. My first HTC M7 was awesome, then Kit Kat came and hosed my touch screen. I will be just fine if they never update this phone, in fact, I prefer it.
    08-21-2014 06:09 AM

Hmmm so the 930 is not an old device either cuz the icon hit before the 930 so the 930 was already old.... with last years specs ... although its sexy.
    Come on and stop hating its a phone .... Samsung and HTC don't respect windows phone because the high volume is Android and MS does not respect its OS and fan base enough to make windows amazing and compelling .... they are evolving slowly.

I will say this again HTC did this as they are not in the financial position to design a new device around Windows Phone currently .... no one is hating on NOKIA they make good devices ... i just think they should innovate more ....in terms of features.

HTC makes good phones as well as NOKIA are we really arguing about a device to make and receive calls. ....
    You don't respect HTC and Samsung cuz they don't respect Windows well they are a business if windows phone does not have high sales volume why should they push resources???.

Samsung i can understand you dont respect as they have enough cash to develop Android and Windows phones of all price ranges Samsung just prefers Android and their own in house tizen OS crap that i realy dont respect (knock off android) .....
    HTC give them a break they like blackberry are on the verge of being gone for good if HTC recovers they will start doing dedicated windows phones.

why don't you lose your respect for Google who is doing every thing in their power to keep You-Tube and Google services off Windows Phone or other big companies that don't develop for Windows in an attempt to cripple the OS ..... ??? because honestly Windows is failing because it lacks the apps people use. Allot of android users would go Windows but no Google integration = NO, Beta apps for more than a year = NO and windows need a bit more polish but MS is getting there.
    08-21-2014 08:27 AM
    Android and their own in house tizen OS crap that i realy dont respect (knock off android)
    Please explain why Tizen is a "knock off Android".

why don't you lose your respect for Google who is doing every thing in their power to keep You-Tube and Google services off Windows Phone
    I'm still waiting for Microsoft to release Office for Linux.
    08-21-2014 08:30 AM
    Thick > Stick Figure
    08-21-2014 08:31 AM
    Thick > Stick Figure
    Quite poetic, but I have no idea what you mean!
    08-21-2014 08:37 AM

Because to me it is, it looks and functions just like a Galaxy phone same skin same features it should be more distinct ... not a Android look a like ...guess i have to blame Samsung for that...

Keep waiting ... im still waiting for Windows Phone to be at the level of Android in terms of refinement and built in OS features (i hope Windows/WP 9 does this).

Im also waiting for Google to stop being childish and offer Google apps and Services to Windows Phone. Windows Phone is no threat to Google or Android currently lol i have to say currently ....
    08-21-2014 08:55 AM
    I am sorry, but what in the blue blazes is with this small minded exclusivity crap.

This mindset I have seen here, is actually worse than those brainwashed hardcore Apple fanatics I have seen and talked to.

What is with this false sense of pride, that one needs to feel superior because something is only made for 1 platform? I firmly believe it is some left over childhood phobia we can see in some cases.

It is really difficult to understand some people who think like this because they can't understand their closed off views do more harm than good for the platforms they so desperately need to be the best. I don't know if it is jealousy or fear that makes them act and post stuff like this .

I have a very keen interest in this phone because I use the m8 Android version as my daily driver and I really dislike the negatives heeped upon it by these types of people.

Exclusivity either by platform or by the carriers is a bad thing. It may allow a few small minded individuals a sense of pride, but for a WP hamstrings the phone and the platform from having a real chance at gaining it's much needed market share and this means being accepted as a viable mainstream alternative.

As I said I am keenly interested in this phone and what it can do for the platform, and I thought I would explain this as opposed to arguing with anyone else who feels different.

Does this phone represent a slap in the face to some diehard Nokia fanatics, I am quite sure it does, but perhaps this is needed to wake them up to the fact that for Windows PHONE to succeed it's going to take a lot more than just their own preferred phone maker building exclusive phones to the platform. They had their chances over the years to do this, and have failed because they have allowed it's market share to decrease. Htc has allowed their best phone to date to run WP, and to give all those who prefer WP the opportunity to have a great phone, and from what many people on WPC have asked for and now will get is availability on other carriers too.

Only a small minded or very insecure person could take issue with this IMHO. WPC has given this phone a lot of press lately and for good reason, why....? Because it is a outstanding phone and they see the benefits of it.

Now that this phone is available for WP, every single person who wants this platform to succeed should support it, and not continually put it down because they don't like the company or its not a Nokia. Everyone should be calling, emailing, tweeting HTC and Microsoft to turn on all the features this phone is hardware capable of doing right now with a few updates like the leds and the equalizer. There is no reason that they can't, but if all they see on the # 1 Windows phone site in the world is people who are complaining that this phone is a hand me down Android phone then the chances of having this done isn't very good.

I am sorry for the rant, but this exclusivetivity mentality has to go away if we want this platform to succeed....

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    08-21-2014 09:31 AM
    Im also waiting for Google to stop being childish and offer Google apps and Services to Windows Phone. Windows Phone is no threat to Google or Android currently lol i have to say currently ....
    And I'll keep waiting for Microsoft to stop being childish and release Office for Linux. I guess we will both we waiting for a long time. lol.
    08-21-2014 09:52 AM

And I'll keep waiting for Microsoft to stop being childish and release Office for Linux. I guess we will both we waiting for a long time. lol.
    i think MS will do that faster than Google after office for Android and IOS they may target LINUX
    08-21-2014 10:03 AM
    Wait, we are talking about Google not Linux. And MS has office for Android now along with other MS apps, so.... where's google services on WP?
    08-21-2014 10:37 AM
    Because it is a Hand me down. The Phone originated as an Android Phone. It began there...it's almost like Samsung releasing the Galaxy for Windows. While the Ativ S line-up is similar it is still Windows Phone Esque. Nobody would look at an Ativ and get confused.

If i got a ONE M8 for windows, I don't want anyone to look at it and assume it is the Android version first. At least with Lumias you KNOW it is Windows Phone and that alone helps with word of mouth.

"I want that Yellow phone. That red. Etc etc"

Furthermore, what would have been better is if they would have evolved their 8X line-up....that would be less of a hand me down because it could be an evolution.

Whether people want to admit it or not, the device is awesome yes, but nonetheless still a hand me down from HTC. Meaning the next time the next android version comes, you'll STILL likely be behind and second class because the next version(if this device even does well) of the windows one will always be behind.

Even if they would have released it at the same time as the Android version(or at least announced it would be coming), it would've been better because it would feel less like a hand me down. At the very least throw some color into it to make it look somewhat different and made for windows phone.

People keep going on about the 800/801 cpu....really? Marginal difference and I'd hope so considering the M8 is the newer device.
    Don't they have the same amount of Ram as the Icon?

I'll give you the Speaker and the SD card...though i couldn't care less about the first and I have the latter in my 1520 and it's not that big of a deal to me. But to each their own.

I held the icon and the M8(android) and i honestly prefer the build of Nokia's Icon over the m8.
    "Nobody would look at an Ativ and get confused." Is that a joke? They look exactly alike.

"you'll STILL likely be behind and second class because the next version(if this device even does well) of the windows one will always be behind."

This is almost too stupid to address. If the next version of both phones release 1 year after the first version of that one did, that's a negative?
    08-21-2014 11:46 AM
    Unfortunately (for all of us!) there is yet to be the perfect phone, or for that matter, the perfect mobile OS.

The M8 (WP version obviously in this case) has some quite appealing features to me:

the microSD slot;
    IR controller would be sweet to have (I wouldn't have to find ANY remote controls in the living room anymore);
    nice speakers (by reputation, I am actually quite used to the "lay phone sort of against something to get the echo enhancement feature" of rear speaker life);
    metal build (my OG Droid was a tank).

I don't particularly rate the 800/801 as an improvement as it is apparently such an incremental upgrade (heck, playing with my new Icon, the only thing I notice versus the 928 is that it gets hot as heck, speedwise it is the same).

However, Icon/930/other phones have some redeeming features like:

separate shutter button, this is just huge once you are used to it and take tons of pictures;
    Qi charging -- I don't have 3 chargers laying around the house for nothing!
    higher res camera -- again, tons of pictures, like to have that option.

Of course, playing with the Icon, I am already seeing the low light capabilities are just UGH compared to the 928.

SOMEONE LET ME DESIGN A LINE OF PHONES FOR THEM :P
    maevinj and kyderr like this.
    08-21-2014 12:05 PM
    Actually the One M8 for Android is less than 5 months old. It took Nokia just as long, nearly 5 months, to release the Lumia 930 after releasing the carrier and country specific version of it, the Lumia Icon. Nokia is the one you should be complaining about. If they had released an AT&T version, or international version with AT&T LTE bands, of the Lumia Icon / 930 back in February, I would have likely switched from Android back to Windows Phone, but instead I am now rocking a One M8 for Android. I freaking wanted to switch back to Windows Phone, but I couldn't get a modern, normal sized Windows Phone on my carrier and neither could anyone else in the world apart from Verizon customers because Nokia freaking sold their soul for Verizon exclusivity. 5 month carrier + country exclusivity on the only normal sized Windows Phone with up to date hardware is the WORST POSSIBLE THING Nokia / MS could have done to increase Windows Phone market share.
    08-21-2014 01:33 PM
    Wait, we are talking about Google not Linux. And MS has office for Android now along with other MS apps, so.... where's google services on WP?
    I'm pointing out that it's very ironic for Microsoft fanboys to complain about someone withholding apps or services from their platform for strategic reasons. I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy with Microsoft on this occasion.
    08-21-2014 03:51 PM
130 1234 ...