I love you my Icon, My Baby, but....

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
One way to look at it would be a hand me down. Another way would be HTC put enough trust in the WP platform to run it on their premier device, instead of some scaled-down version which would've cheapened the image of WP in a major way. They couldve just as easily released an HTCX2 instead. They opted for their flagship, a name that everyone is familiar with and is currently a VERY popular seller on another platform.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Neither am I, though I do model. That being said you don't have to be a professional photographer to appreciate the better camera. I prefer not settling for less simply because something looks better.

In truth, I want this phone to do well and I also want to be one of the first people who laugh when HTC yet again releases a great phone(the 8x was great) and then not support it. After all we've been here already before with HTC and they royally dropped the ball then. But enjoy your m8 lol

I just hope this mess is not the only high end phone we have to look forward to because Lumia owners are looking for the premium experience.

the 5 mp camera should be good though lol the rear camera needs work but it should be liveable

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Because it is a Hand me down. The Phone originated as an Android Phone. It began there...it's almost like Samsung releasing the Galaxy for Windows. While the Ativ S line-up is similar it is still Windows Phone Esque. Nobody would look at an Ativ and get confused.

If i got a ONE M8 for windows, I don't want anyone to look at it and assume it is the Android version first. At least with Lumias you KNOW it is Windows Phone and that alone helps with word of mouth.

"I want that Yellow phone. That red. Etc etc"

Furthermore, what would have been better is if they would have evolved their 8X line-up....that would be less of a hand me down because it could be an evolution.

Whether people want to admit it or not, the device is awesome yes, but nonetheless still a hand me down from HTC. Meaning the next time the next android version comes, you'll STILL likely be behind and second class because the next version(if this device even does well) of the windows one will always be behind.

Even if they would have released it at the same time as the Android version(or at least announced it would be coming), it would've been better because it would feel less like a hand me down. At the very least throw some color into it to make it look somewhat different and made for windows phone.

People keep going on about the 800/801 cpu....really? Marginal difference and I'd hope so considering the M8 is the newer device.
Don't they have the same amount of Ram as the Icon?

I'll give you the Speaker and the SD card...though i couldn't care less about the first and I have the latter in my 1520 and it's not that big of a deal to me. But to each their own.

I held the icon and the M8(android) and i honestly prefer the build of Nokia's Icon over the m8.

Wow does it matter that HTC did not make a phone with windows in mind????
HTC right now financially don't have money to waste developing a new device specifically for windows phone so the smart thing was to use the same hardware and make life easier / cheaper.

Yes the HTC is a good phone spec and design wise
Yes the Ativ line from Samsung will always be last years Galaxy with a spec boost ... (S4 any one??).
YES the Lumia line is a distinctive and recognizable and durable yada yada ...
but at the end of the day its a phone which one you go with does not matter.

Ok HTC designed the phone for android but it does not matter since its a solid device with a not so solid camera.
Fact is MS and Nokia have been dropping the ball a while now ..... hence why i was Android tried windows and will go back to Android. Until MS / Nokia get back in the game.
Right now HTC has the best device in the game even with its flaws and MS is now trying to get itself back to where it was and its focus on windows ...

I would but the HTC one M8 with windows why
1) most likely i can change the OS to andriod and back to windows again (maybe dual boot) so as MS does with they need to with windows and improve it i can see if the OS has matured enough for me to use as a daily driver.
2) its stylish with nice accessories and features (Nokia should have had stereo speakers cuz they did in the past with many phones why not use those past innovations in the Lumias we will never know.
3) i love the specs
4) MS / Nokia have no premium devices coming soon and it will be a while before they do so enjoy your long wait.

Honestly i want MS to do well with windows but its shortcomings are to many for my taste its like they have gotten lazy some what. so ill be back and forth with windows phone and android.

That and the apps are no where near the quality they should be. This new CEO looks like he will change the attitude MS has that's why im looking forward to WP 9 and Windows 9.

Hand me down or not the HTC on paper is a better phone if camera is the issue that's the only downside i can see.
samsung wont even put its latest and greatest into a windows phone so i commend HTC here .

Maybe as MS and Samsung mend their issues we will see a premium WP Samsung cuz honesly the Galaxy alpha will do well with windows phone on it and maybe Samsung will bring some stuff or ideas over from Android...
If HTC does well with this device maybe they will design a phone exclusively for windows from the ground up once they are financially stable again ... its all about resources finances and logistics for HTC at this point ..

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So far so good. The phone is much lighter and has a nice feel to it. I opted against the dot view cover because I think it's ugly, got the regular verizon silicone case instead. The phone is blazing fast. I've only had it a day but I'd say overall it's faster than the Icon. Took a few pictures. Obviously it's no Lumia when it comes to cameras, but HTC has some respectable photo app suite themselves and I can definitely live with what they have. Now I just need to head to newegg and cop a micro sd so I can cram this baby with music after my wallet recovers :smile:

Overall I'm happy with my purchase so far.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't see this phone give me anything new I didn't have and I'd actually need (I have a 930), but I still don't understand why so many Nokia-owners are so hostile towards WPs other than Nokia. I've seen the same happen especially with ATIV in the best, 8X to a lesser extent.

The difference in specs is so marginal that there reall is none, so it largely comes down to preference in looks, storage option, camera, etc.

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
It's great that HTC have brought the M8 to Windows. And it shows they have faith in the Windows platform. For that I respect them.

It's also a very nice phone. For me, an ex Android user for 4 years, the design doesn't do it for me - but it's all very subjective, and it boils down to personal tastes.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't see this phone give me anything new I didn't have and I'd actually need (I have a 930), but I still don't understand why so many Nokia-owners are so hostile towards WPs other than Nokia. I've seen the same happen especially with ATIV in the best, 8X to a lesser extent.

The difference in specs is so marginal that there reall is none, so it largely comes down to preference in looks, storage option, camera, etc.

My bf ordered this phone, unfortunately. We had an interesting debate about this phone. He said he was curious to try it out and wasn't planning to leave Lumia but wanted to know why I was so anti one.

Idk about the other Nokia owners but for me I truly hate that this is what windows phone is becoming. We were excited for great hardware that was more original and made for windows.

People are literally excited over scraps. This phone is over 5-6 months old and I hate the thought that the os had to be dumb down enough just for us to get rehashes.

More importantly it is a slap in the face of Nokia owners if this is apart of the reason there may not be a high end Lumia coming. Because Microsoft wants to appease these OEMs who have done nothing for the platform.

I respect the new OEMs we have gotten but Samsung and HTC I do not respect at all. They make great hardware and do nothing for this platform.

But hey if people want to throw money at HTC I hope they wont be complaining about poor support and apps.

Me myself I stick with the trusted experience of Lumia/microsoft.

Novron

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
My bf ordered this phone, unfortunately. We had an interesting debate about this phone. He said he was curious to try it out and wasn't planning to leave Lumia but wanted to know why I was so anti one.

Idk about the other Nokia owners but for me I truly hate that this is what windows phone is becoming. We were excited for great hardware that was more original and made for windows.

People are literally excited over scraps. This phone is over 5-6 months old and I hate the thought that the os had to be dumb down enough just for us to get rehashes.

More importantly it is a slap in the face of Nokia owners if this is apart of the reason there may not be a high end Lumia coming. Because Microsoft wants to appease these OEMs who have done nothing for the platform.

I respect the new OEMs we have gotten but Samsung and HTC I do not respect at all. They make great hardware and do nothing for this platform.

But hey if people want to throw money at HTC I hope they wont be complaining about poor support and apps.

Not sure I'm worried about support. WP now does everything I need it to. For me, this is a perfectly functioning smartphone. When hardware and software mesh up to cover all my bases, I start fearing updates. My first HTC M7 was awesome, then Kit Kat came and hosed my touch screen. I will be just fine if they never update this phone, in fact, I prefer it.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site

Hmmm so the 930 is not an old device either cuz the icon hit before the 930 so the 930 was already old.... with last years specs ... although its sexy.
Come on and stop hating its a phone .... Samsung and HTC don't respect windows phone because the high volume is Android and MS does not respect its OS and fan base enough to make windows amazing and compelling .... they are evolving slowly.

I will say this again HTC did this as they are not in the financial position to design a new device around Windows Phone currently .... no one is hating on NOKIA they make good devices ... i just think they should innovate more ....in terms of features.

HTC makes good phones as well as NOKIA are we really arguing about a device to make and receive calls. ....
You don't respect HTC and Samsung cuz they don't respect Windows well they are a business if windows phone does not have high sales volume why should they push resources???.

Samsung i can understand you dont respect as they have enough cash to develop Android and Windows phones of all price ranges Samsung just prefers Android and their own in house tizen OS crap that i realy dont respect (knock off android) .....
HTC give them a break they like blackberry are on the verge of being gone for good if HTC recovers they will start doing dedicated windows phones.

why don't you lose your respect for Google who is doing every thing in their power to keep You-Tube and Google services off Windows Phone or other big companies that don't develop for Windows in an attempt to cripple the OS ..... ??? because honestly Windows is failing because it lacks the apps people use. Allot of android users would go Windows but no Google integration = NO, Beta apps for more than a year = NO and windows need a bit more polish but MS is getting there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786