08-31-2014 01:16 AM
130 ... 23456
tools
    I still doubt this phone will be a monster success even on multiple carriers. Much like how Android is Synonymous with Galaxy, Lumia is synonymous for Windows phone.

HTC will, ironically, be playing 2nd place again. For all the cool features and attractive design there is one sore point: The camera.

Case in point: My BF's little brother wanted a new cellphone. He was originally going to put him on his verizon line until i told him to get T-mobile and get a 630 for $120 off contract.

When i was showing him the windows phone here was his response

1. Ativ SE- No, that's ugly.

2. 8x- Ooh it is in red i want it(They don't sell it anymore at the store. Idk why the store was still having it on display tbh)

3. HTC One- It's nice....But wait? Why does it say 4 megapixels?

Me: Well it is only 4 megapixels but it takes decent pics.

Him: But isn't yours more.

Me: Well yeah...it's 20.

Him: So isn't less worse then?

me: It's hard to explain but not always....

Him: My dad's iPhone is 8 megapixels. I don't want this phone. It has less than my dad's phone. I want a phone like you, Micah.

4. Icon- "It's kind of thick and heavy but it has the same camera as you and your phone takes awesome pics."

That's the kind of thing people notice.
    People notice how attractive a phone is, yes. But the average joe doesn't care that the M8 has an IR blaster....The speakers are super cool(I am slightly jealous) but given how instagram crazy my generation is, hearing the phone has 4 megapixels to the 20 megapxels, many people are going to go with Lumia.

I don't see HTC really doing better than Nokia or even Samsnung for that matter simply because the world is more or less used to the Lumia line for windows phone in most places.
    Hopefully they do start releasing them closer together,but they also need to see that there's enough demand for them too.

Without the demand,little chance of this happening.

They can stimulate the market,if they learn to understand it better. Right now they don't,for so long they have done things one way,and things need to change.

Look at how many WP people would have gotten this phone, had it been available on all carriers and worldwide instead of a exclusive.......this is one thing Microsoft needs to convince the carriers to stop and to have more control over.

There's a whole slew of other things too that really needs to change,but that's best left for a different discussion

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    08-23-2014 08:23 AM
    Micah I think if we will all be honest neither the M8 nor the Icon/930 will be a big hit on all carriers running WP. All we can hope for is to chip away and hope for the platform to grow.
    Chirag Bokadia likes this.
    08-23-2014 08:35 AM
    I still doubt this phone will be a monster success even on multiple carriers. Much like how Android is Synonymous with Galaxy, Lumia is synonymous for Windows phone.

HTC will, ironically, be playing 2nd place again. For all the cool features and attractive design there is one sore point: The camera.

Case in point: My BF's little brother wanted a new cellphone. He was originally going to put him on his verizon line until i told him to get T-mobile and get a 630 for $120 off contract.

When i was showing him the windows phone here was his response

1. Ativ SE- No, that's ugly.

2. 8x- Ooh it is in red i want it(They don't sell it anymore at the store. Idk why the store was still having it on display tbh)

3. HTC One- It's nice....But wait? Why does it say 4 megapixels?

Me: Well it is only 4 megapixels but it takes decent pics.

Him: But isn't yours more.

Me: Well yeah...it's 20.

Him: So isn't less worse then?

me: It's hard to explain but not always....

Him: My dad's iPhone is 8 megapixels. I don't want this phone. It has less than my dad's phone. I want a phone like you, Micah.

4. Icon- "It's kind of thick and heavy but it has the same camera as you and your phone takes awesome pics."

That's the kind of thing people notice.
    People notice how attractive a phone is, yes. But the average joe doesn't care that the M8 has an IR blaster....The speakers are super cool(I am slightly jealous) but given how instagram crazy my generation is, hearing the phone has 4 megapixels to the 20 megapxels, many people are going to go with Lumia.

I don't see HTC really doing better than Nokia or even Samsnung for that matter simply because the world is more or less used to the Lumia line for windows phone in most places.
    Samsung synonymous with Android and Nokia synonymous with WP needs to change for the uneducated. Now that Nokia is past tense and other Androids are leapfrogging ahead with what they bring to the platform,being able to show people a choice of handsets will be better all around.

I fully expect the camera issue to become a non-issue on the next-generation of One that comes out.

Spec wars will always have casualties and for some people they have to have the very best camera built-in to even consider this phone,while to just as many people want something else. We each have to decide what is more important to us.

Getting back to this phone,and it's camera,it can do a good job for what it was designed to do...regardless wither another phone does some type of shots better and what also matters is I as well as many other folks here are happy to see it get WP on it.

Now that it is,let's try to get over the fact that it is,and try to support it like any other phone running WP. Putting it down because it had Android on it only hurts WP,not help. The more different Android flagship phones means the more WP is being sold...

This phone can be the start of a new era for WP....If folks give it a chance to.

Chirag Bokadia likes this.
    08-23-2014 10:27 AM
    I fully expect the camera issue to become a non-issue on the next-generation of One that comes out.

Spec wars will always have casualties and for some people they have to have the very best camera built-in to even consider this phone,while to just as many people want something else. We each have to decide what is more important to us.

Getting back to this phone,and it's camera,it can do a good job for what it was designed to do...regardless wither another phone does some type of shots better and what also matters is I as well as many other folks here are happy to see it get WP on it.

Now that it is,let's try to get over the fact that it is,and try to support it like any other phone running WP. Putting it down because it had Android on it only hurts WP,not help. The more different Android flagship phones means the more WP is being sold...

This phone can be the start of a new era for WP....If folks give it a chance to.

I agree. Regardless of whether you think the Lumia line is better because of the camera, the important thing is that both HTC and Verizon put enough stock into WP to think it was worth it to bring a flagship Android phone to WP.

Support it and maybe LG and others will follow which can only be good for the platform. As much as you hate the fickle, we're going to need them for WP to survive. Walking into a Verizon (and soon AT&T) store and seeing a familiar device
    Running Windows will grab their attention.
    Brandon Tobias likes this.
    08-23-2014 10:38 AM
    I have the M8 and the icon. I'm supporting windows phone. I also think they are both awesome devices. Some things I prefer over the other, but each are great devices. The M8 camera is actually surprising the heck outta me. I think I was prepared to be unimpressed and even maybe disappointed merely because I was reading all the anti M8 posts. My shots are 99% hiking outdoors and it takes a very sharp, vibrant picture. The battery on the M8 is way better than my icon which is nice. Both are running 8.1. Until cyan comes out i'll be using the M8 then maybe switch back to see what the cyan is all about. From what I've read of folks who already have it on they seem more unimpressed than impressed. Could be a bit of a let down after anticipating it for so long. Then there will of course be the inevitable bugs.
    Just wanted to chime in and say I support the M8 and those who call it a hand me down device don't bother me a bit as I'm likin' the crap outta mine. Better battery, faster, expandable memory, double tap to wake, huge selection of accessories, no laggy wake up issues, stellar WiFi signal, awesome speakers, awesome build quality and much more, what's not to like? Oh, it's a hand me down! MEH! Pretty frickin' nice hand me down.
    scottcraft and Bora777 like this.
    08-23-2014 11:32 AM
    I would love to see a HTC One M8 Windows Phone vs. HTC ICON camera compare in the real world.

Doing the Android version is not the same due to software and possible version/fimware of hardware (camera wise).

Otherwise I will have to stick with my ICON...
    08-23-2014 11:42 AM
    Sorry d still would prefer an original design unless they release both at the same time. This getting hardware months after it debut on android is not doing anything but making us a second class group even more.

Either original designs for both os or release them at the same time or at the least a month or so apart.
    And why do you think the phone took a few months to come out? Not because they didn't want it to, but because they weren't even able to start it until a month after it came out. Basically it went like:

March: M8 gets announced
    April: Microsoft announces changes to drop capacitive button requirement and camera button requirement. HTC starts working on the phone
    May-July: Microsoft and HTC work together to bring HTC's software suite over to WP. Microsoft makes software changes to allow HTC's iconic accessories.
    August: The phone comes out.

I see literally no way for the M8 to be a dual-launch phone. If Microsoft throws in help (which they should) then the M9 will probably launch with both, if not, a month later at best.
    08-23-2014 12:31 PM
    The htc camera is really poor, the 2nd camera is 100% useless. 90% of the shots can't even utilize it for alterations after the fact. You can't use flash, you can't be within x distance, you can't use any mode other than auto. If you long press a focus point it locks af and then you can't ever get it back until you restart the app. What were they thinking???
    08-23-2014 12:47 PM
    I guess I'm not a camera guru...... I just went outside, middle of the afternoon, sun beaming down on my work truck, shot a picture of it with my HTC M8 windows device!

Not a bad picture, obviously not a professional image, but REALLY it's with a camera phone :)
    wp_20140823_001.jpg
    Adrynalyne likes this.
    08-23-2014 02:40 PM
    I guess I'm not a camera guru...... I just went outside, middle of the afternoon, sun beaming down on my work truck, shot a picture of it with my HTC M8 windows device!

Not a bad picture, obviously not a professional image, but REALLY it's with a camera phone :)
    If you've used a nokia 920, 925 928 1520 or 1020 especially you would know that there is a MAJOR difference. Nokia set the bar and these other manufacturers fall under it like a limbo.
    08-23-2014 04:10 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140823_001.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	558.0 KB 
ID:	78145
    Don't go too crazy listening to the "cameraphiles". Unless you're a professional photographer this phone can produce adequate pictures.
    Adrynalyne likes this.
    08-23-2014 05:55 PM
    Snapped this while I was out and about today. Just a point and shoot in auto mode.
    I have no problem with this camera. It'll do what I need.

imag00004.jpg
    Adrynalyne likes this.
    08-23-2014 07:09 PM
    But But But...you guys can't be happy with it....there's no way you can...it doesn't say Nokia on it.....lol....lol...lol

Those pictures look nice on my phone,and that's what it's designed for...

Once you get into the manual mode,your going to have fun...

Also...If you get a chance to go into the night mode while you are out at sunset or after,try taking some pictures of a field or lawns without any lighting or flash....

08-23-2014 08:50 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140823_001.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	558.0 KB 
ID:	78145
    This picture has a serious flaw; that FORD! (Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm a GM guy!)
    08-23-2014 09:30 PM
    But But But...you guys can't be happy with it....there's no way you can...it doesn't say Nokia on it.....lo
    I hear what your saying. I'm a die hard Nokia fan from many years back. Truth be told I've had many an HTC dev,ice as well. Their build quality and great RF always.impressed me not unlike nokia in that same regard at all.
    I look at a smart phone as a.whole package and none of them are complete IMO. Something is always lacking somewhere. While the HTC lacks the stellar camera the icon has it has things the icon lacks. Awesome speakers for one thing. Better battery for another. So that's why I got the M8. Gonna give it a test run and at the end of the 2 weeks make a decision. I'll most likely keep both. That way when I go someplace I may need the best camera, I'm covered. I'm actually doing well keeping my usable stock down to two devices. Years ago I'd swap around from at least half a dozen in the rotation. This M8 is really pretty sweet , you tried it?
    08-23-2014 10:07 PM
    I hear what your saying. I'm a die hard Nokia fan from many years back. Truth be told I've had many an HTC dev,ice as well. Their build quality and great RF always.impressed me not unlike nokia in that same regard at all.
    I look at a smart phone as a.whole package and none of them are complete IMO. Something is always lacking somewhere. While the HTC lacks the stellar camera the icon has it has things the icon lacks. Awesome speakers for one thing. Better battery for another. So that's why I got the M8. Gonna give it a test run and at the end of the 2 weeks make a decision. I'll most likely keep both. That way when I go someplace I may need the best camera, I'm covered. I'm actually doing well keeping my usable stock down to two devices. Years ago I'd swap around from at least half a dozen in the rotation. This M8 is really pretty sweet , you tried it?
    Yup..in Android...and hoping that the guys on xda get a port going for 8.1 I turned in my1520 and got it last month.

I have to agree with the RF on this phone..I'm in my family room right now where I normally can't get a single bar and it's a solid 4 in 4g..SO I am impressed with it. It's a good thing tool.because Charter has a 5 state outage going on

08-23-2014 10:41 PM
    RF works great on the M8...that is a massive bonus to me. Pictures are nice and all, but I have my dslr for important stuff. All the other M8 advantages make it a no brainer for me.
    08-23-2014 10:48 PM
    Dang it dudes, stop with the good reviews. My 8x took a bath yesterday and is no longer with us. I am going over my options and the most expensive is buy the M8 off contract. You guys are pushing me toward the expensive route.
    08-24-2014 08:48 PM
    Dang it dudes, stop with the good reviews. My 8x took a bath yesterday and is no longer with us. I am going over my options and the most expensive is buy the M8 off contract. You guys are pushing me toward the expensive route.
    Have you considered the edge program? I'm thinking of going that route.
    08-24-2014 09:15 PM
    I'm sorry those pics are okay but nothing special. It looks like something a 920 from 2012 could do.

Speaking of,I would love to see a comparison between the 520 or 630 vs one lol.

I swear if mow budget windows phones do better there is a problem here.
    08-26-2014 04:20 AM
    I'm sorry those pics are okay but nothing special. It looks like something a 920 from 2012 could do.

Speaking of,I would love to see a comparison between the 520 or 630 vs one lol.

I swear if mow budget windows phones do better there is a problem here.
    There's no problem here except for people who choose to bash the camera and the phone.The camera does what it is designed to do,and can take better shots in manual mode it's that simple. I agree there's better cameras available,but as it has been said,not everyone demands a great camera over everything else that this phone offers.

08-26-2014 08:16 AM
    There's no problem here except for people who choose to bash the camera and the phone.The camera does what it is designed to do,and can take better shots in manual mode it's that simple. I agree there's better cameras available,but as it has been said,not everyone demands a great camera over everything else that this phone offers.

Ilove how it is called bashing when you say what the truth is.

The camera is not that great, which I said. Yes that is true not everyone demanded a great camera, but calling it great at what it does is just more like you are making excuses.

The Lumia 520 is still a good camera for what it does. Doesn't make it any less horrible lol

Windows phones ran perfectly fine on dual core but the fact that it lacked quad core at the time was an issue. Yes it worked well but it was still way behind competitors.

Same logic applies here, the phone is attractive and adequate(nothing remarkable or even game changing).....but the camera is barely on par with first Gen windows phone devices. It is what is.

It's an accurate criticism. I keep up with this phone partially because it does interest me and also I am looking forward to this likely flopping. Not because I want it too but because I want to see how HTC owners spin it lol.

They will blame Lumia owners for only buying the trusted phones. Blame Microsoft. Talk about moving to android to etc etc

At this rate I'd likely buy Samsung over HTC and that's saying something because I find Samsung atrocious lol. But st least they somewhat do try and their tacky phones were ugly but specifically made for our os and feels less like a hand me down.

I do wonder how the se camera compares.
    08-26-2014 03:27 PM
    The camera is what it is. All bashing aside I couldn't give 2 craps what anyone thinks of the phone or the camera. Bottom line for me as a whole unit it does better for me than the icon. To much good stuff more than offsets any camera short comings. I used the icon since release day and the M8 less than a week and for "MY" needs and "Mine" only the M8 is the best choice.
    psiu_glen likes this.
    08-26-2014 04:07 PM
    Ilove how it is called bashing when you say what the truth is.

The camera is not that great, which I said. Yes that is true not everyone demanded a great camera, but calling it great at what it does is just more like you are making excuses.

The Lumia 520 is still a good camera for what it does. Doesn't make it any less horrible lol

Windows phones ran perfectly fine on dual core but the fact that it lacked quad core at the time was an issue. Yes it worked well but it was still way behind competitors.

Same logic applies here, the phone is attractive and adequate(nothing remarkable or even game changing).....but the camera is barely on par with first Gen windows phone devices. It is what is.

It's an accurate criticism. I keep up with this phone partially because it does interest me and also I am looking forward to this likely flopping. Not because I want it too but because I want to see how HTC owners spin it lol.

They will blame Lumia owners for only buying the trusted phones. Blame Microsoft. Talk about moving to android to etc etc

At this rate I'd likely buy Samsung over HTC and that's saying something because I find Samsung atrocious lol. But st least they somewhat do try and their tacky phones were ugly but specifically made for our os and feels less like a hand me down.

I do wonder how the se camera compares.
    No. I have spoken the truth,it's you who hasn't.

Just because you are ignorant of the facts about the camera doesn't mean I am untruthful or making any excuses for it. Look up what HTC has said in the months it's been out what they designed it for.
    Seriously...your childish attempts to bait me are done. While you're entitled to your opinion,you really don't know anything about this phone or the m8 Android and it shows.

You want to be able to laugh at those who buy this phone...that's pretty sad and shows great disrespect on your part..for other people's feelings...

mary beth hale likes this.
    08-26-2014 05:00 PM
    No. I have spoken the truth,it's you who hasn't.

Just because you are ignorant of the facts about the camera doesn't mean I am untruthful or making any excuses for it. Look up what HTC has said in the months it's been out what they designed it for.
    Seriously...your childish attempts to bait me are done. While you're entitled to your opinion,you really don't know anything about this phone or the m8 Android and it shows.

You want to be able to laugh at those who buy this phone...that's pretty sad and shows great disrespect on your part..for other people's feelings...

If you haven't noticed Micah is attempting to convince us that Nokia is the end all of phones. He seems more interesting in "criticizing" non-Nokia windows phones than being excited about another high end phone that might help the platform grow.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    08-26-2014 05:11 PM
130 ... 23456