I love you my Icon, My Baby, but....

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I would love to see a HTC One M8 Windows Phone vs. HTC ICON camera compare in the real world.

Doing the Android version is not the same due to software and possible version/fimware of hardware (camera wise).

Otherwise I will have to stick with my ICON...

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Sorry d still would prefer an original design unless they release both at the same time. This getting hardware months after it debut on android is not doing anything but making us a second class group even more.

Either original designs for both os or release them at the same time or at the least a month or so apart.

And why do you think the phone took a few months to come out? Not because they didn't want it to, but because they weren't even able to start it until a month after it came out. Basically it went like:

March: M8 gets announced
April: Microsoft announces changes to drop capacitive button requirement and camera button requirement. HTC starts working on the phone
May-July: Microsoft and HTC work together to bring HTC's software suite over to WP. Microsoft makes software changes to allow HTC's iconic accessories.
August: The phone comes out.

I see literally no way for the M8 to be a dual-launch phone. If Microsoft throws in help (which they should) then the M9 will probably launch with both, if not, a month later at best.

microhaxo#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
The htc camera is really poor, the 2nd camera is 100% useless. 90% of the shots can't even utilize it for alterations after the fact. You can't use flash, you can't be within x distance, you can't use any mode other than auto. If you long press a focus point it locks af and then you can't ever get it back until you restart the app. What were they thinking???

Matt Bee

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I guess I'm not a camera guru...... I just went outside, middle of the afternoon, sun beaming down on my work truck, shot a picture of it with my HTC M8 windows device!

Not a bad picture, obviously not a professional image, but REALLY it's with a camera phone :)
WP_20140823_001.jpg

microhaxo#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm not a camera guru...... I just went outside, middle of the afternoon, sun beaming down on my work truck, shot a picture of it with my HTC M8 windows device!

Not a bad picture, obviously not a professional image, but REALLY it's with a camera phone :)

If you've used a nokia 920, 925 928 1520 or 1020 especially you would know that there is a MAJOR difference. Nokia set the bar and these other manufacturers fall under it like a limbo.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 78145

Don't go too crazy listening to the "cameraphiles". Unless you're a professional photographer this phone can produce adequate pictures.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Snapped this while I was out and about today. Just a point and shoot in auto mode.
I have no problem with this camera. It'll do what I need.

IMAG00004.jpg

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
But But But...you guys can't be happy with it....there's no way you can...it doesn't say Nokia on it.....lol....lol...lol

Those pictures look nice on my phone,and that's what it's designed for...

Once you get into the manual mode,your going to have fun...

Also...If you get a chance to go into the night mode while you are out at sunset or after,try taking some pictures of a field or lawns without any lighting or flash....

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 78145

This picture has a serious flaw; that FORD! :wink: (Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm a GM guy!)

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
But But But...you guys can't be happy with it....there's no way you can...it doesn't say Nokia on it.....lo
I hear what your saying. I'm a die hard Nokia fan from many years back. Truth be told I've had many an HTC dev,ice as well. Their build quality and great RF always.impressed me not unlike nokia in that same regard at all.
I look at a smart phone as a.whole package and none of them are complete IMO. Something is always lacking somewhere. While the HTC lacks the stellar camera the icon has it has things the icon lacks. Awesome speakers for one thing. Better battery for another. So that's why I got the M8. Gonna give it a test run and at the end of the 2 weeks make a decision. I'll most likely keep both. That way when I go someplace I may need the best camera, I'm covered. I'm actually doing well keeping my usable stock down to two devices. Years ago I'd swap around from at least half a dozen in the rotation. This M8 is really pretty sweet , you tried it?

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I hear what your saying. I'm a die hard Nokia fan from many years back. Truth be told I've had many an HTC dev,ice as well. Their build quality and great RF always.impressed me not unlike nokia in that same regard at all.
I look at a smart phone as a.whole package and none of them are complete IMO. Something is always lacking somewhere. While the HTC lacks the stellar camera the icon has it has things the icon lacks. Awesome speakers for one thing. Better battery for another. So that's why I got the M8. Gonna give it a test run and at the end of the 2 weeks make a decision. I'll most likely keep both. That way when I go someplace I may need the best camera, I'm covered. I'm actually doing well keeping my usable stock down to two devices. Years ago I'd swap around from at least half a dozen in the rotation. This M8 is really pretty sweet , you tried it?

Yup..in Android...and hoping that the guys on xda get a port going for 8.1 I turned in my1520 and got it last month.

I have to agree with the RF on this phone..I'm in my family room right now where I normally can't get a single bar and it's a solid 4 in 4g..SO I am impressed with it. It's a good thing tool.because Charter has a 5 state outage going on

Admorris

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
RF works great on the M8...that is a massive bonus to me. Pictures are nice and all, but I have my dslr for important stuff. All the other M8 advantages make it a no brainer for me.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Dang it dudes, stop with the good reviews. My 8x took a bath yesterday and is no longer with us. I am going over my options and the most expensive is buy the M8 off contract. You guys are pushing me toward the expensive route.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Dang it dudes, stop with the good reviews. My 8x took a bath yesterday and is no longer with us. I am going over my options and the most expensive is buy the M8 off contract. You guys are pushing me toward the expensive route.

Have you considered the edge program? I'm thinking of going that route.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry those pics are okay but nothing special. It looks like something a 920 from 2012 could do.

Speaking of,I would love to see a comparison between the 520 or 630 vs one lol.

I swear if mow budget windows phones do better there is a problem here.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry those pics are okay but nothing special. It looks like something a 920 from 2012 could do.

Speaking of,I would love to see a comparison between the 520 or 630 vs one lol.

I swear if mow budget windows phones do better there is a problem here.

There's no problem here except for people who choose to bash the camera and the phone.The camera does what it is designed to do,and can take better shots in manual mode it's that simple. I agree there's better cameras available,but as it has been said,not everyone demands a great camera over everything else that this phone offers.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
There's no problem here except for people who choose to bash the camera and the phone.The camera does what it is designed to do,and can take better shots in manual mode it's that simple. I agree there's better cameras available,but as it has been said,not everyone demands a great camera over everything else that this phone offers.

Ilove how it is called bashing when you say what the truth is.

The camera is not that great, which I said. Yes that is true not everyone demanded a great camera, but calling it great at what it does is just more like you are making excuses.

The Lumia 520 is still a good camera for what it does. Doesn't make it any less horrible lol

Windows phones ran perfectly fine on dual core but the fact that it lacked quad core at the time was an issue. Yes it worked well but it was still way behind competitors.

Same logic applies here, the phone is attractive and adequate(nothing remarkable or even game changing).....but the camera is barely on par with first Gen windows phone devices. It is what is.

It's an accurate criticism. I keep up with this phone partially because it does interest me and also I am looking forward to this likely flopping. Not because I want it too but because I want to see how HTC owners spin it lol.

They will blame Lumia owners for only buying the trusted phones. Blame Microsoft. Talk about moving to android to etc etc

At this rate I'd likely buy Samsung over HTC and that's saying something because I find Samsung atrocious lol. But st least they somewhat do try and their tacky phones were ugly but specifically made for our os and feels less like a hand me down.

I do wonder how the se camera compares.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
The camera is what it is. All bashing aside I couldn't give 2 craps what anyone thinks of the phone or the camera. Bottom line for me as a whole unit it does better for me than the icon. To much good stuff more than offsets any camera short comings. I used the icon since release day and the M8 less than a week and for "MY" needs and "Mine" only the M8 is the best choice.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Ilove how it is called bashing when you say what the truth is.

The camera is not that great, which I said. Yes that is true not everyone demanded a great camera, but calling it great at what it does is just more like you are making excuses.

The Lumia 520 is still a good camera for what it does. Doesn't make it any less horrible lol

Windows phones ran perfectly fine on dual core but the fact that it lacked quad core at the time was an issue. Yes it worked well but it was still way behind competitors.

Same logic applies here, the phone is attractive and adequate(nothing remarkable or even game changing).....but the camera is barely on par with first Gen windows phone devices. It is what is.

It's an accurate criticism. I keep up with this phone partially because it does interest me and also I am looking forward to this likely flopping. Not because I want it too but because I want to see how HTC owners spin it lol.

They will blame Lumia owners for only buying the trusted phones. Blame Microsoft. Talk about moving to android to etc etc

At this rate I'd likely buy Samsung over HTC and that's saying something because I find Samsung atrocious lol. But st least they somewhat do try and their tacky phones were ugly but specifically made for our os and feels less like a hand me down.

I do wonder how the se camera compares.

No. I have spoken the truth,it's you who hasn't.

Just because you are ignorant of the facts about the camera doesn't mean I am untruthful or making any excuses for it. Look up what HTC has said in the months it's been out what they designed it for.
Seriously...your childish attempts to bait me are done. While you're entitled to your opinion,you really don't know anything about this phone or the m8 Android and it shows.

You want to be able to laugh at those who buy this phone...that's pretty sad and shows great disrespect on your part..for other people's feelings...

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
No. I have spoken the truth,it's you who hasn't.

Just because you are ignorant of the facts about the camera doesn't mean I am untruthful or making any excuses for it. Look up what HTC has said in the months it's been out what they designed it for.
Seriously...your childish attempts to bait me are done. While you're entitled to your opinion,you really don't know anything about this phone or the m8 Android and it shows.

You want to be able to laugh at those who buy this phone...that's pretty sad and shows great disrespect on your part..for other people's feelings...

If you haven't noticed Micah is attempting to convince us that Nokia is the end all of phones. He seems more interesting in "criticizing" non-Nokia windows phones than being excited about another high end phone that might help the platform grow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb