I love you my Icon, My Baby, but....

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't help myself. She's slimmer, sexier and has more storage space (no pun intended).
:unhappysweat:
It's been fun Icon and I still recommend this phone to anyone looking for a high end WP device. In fact I'll sell you mine! Blue Dot View case and HTC One goodness on the way tomorrow. Scoooooooooooooooooooore

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Probably see a few icons going up for sale. Think I'll be keeping mine for now. Losing this camera would be hard to do. Also the wireless charging is pretty convenient. I had the older m7 and really liked it but like any all metal phone its to slippery to hold onto at least for me, so then I put it in a shell case for safety's sake and now I've suffered the loss of the beautiful metal casing. If my icon suddenly takes a major dump or has an accident I'd be all over the m8 tho. Enjoy yours and keep us posted.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
LOL that is absolutely crazy :p Aside from being slimmer(and it does look nice), i can not imagine downgrading to such an Average at best camera and taking a risk on HTC's support just because a phone is prettier tome lol

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
It is a great looking phone and it has a card slot.... But some great things are headed our way from Nokia so I'm sticking with the Icon for now.

Last edited:

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
LOL that is absolutely crazy :p Aside from being slimmer(and it does look nice), i can not imagine downgrading to such an Average at best camera and taking a risk on HTC's support just because a phone is prettier tome lol

unless you're a professional photographer the camera on the m8 will do just fine. I personally am not a professional photographer.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Probably see a few icons going up for sale. Think I'll be keeping mine for now. Losing this camera would be hard to do. Also the wireless charging is pretty convenient. I had the older m7 and really liked it but like any all metal phone its to slippery to hold onto at least for me, so then I put it in a shell case for safety's sake and now I've suffered the loss of the beautiful metal casing. If my icon suddenly takes a major dump or has an accident I'd be all over the m8 tho. Enjoy yours and keep us posted.
I'll definitely report back with a comparison and whether I regret the decision. It was an impulse buy and as I said, the Icon is an excellent phone that I'd recommend to anyone.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
unless you're a professional photographer the camera on the m8 will do just fine. I personally am not a professional photographer.

Neither am I, though I do model. That being said you don't have to be a professional photographer to appreciate the better camera. I prefer not settling for less simply because something looks better.

In truth, I want this phone to do well and I also want to be one of the first people who laugh when HTC yet again releases a great phone(the 8x was great) and then not support it. After all we've been here already before with HTC and they royally dropped the ball then. But enjoy your m8 lol

I just hope this mess is not the only high end phone we have to look forward to because Lumia owners are looking for the premium experience.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I mean, we're not actually arguing that a phone with a better CPU/GPU, twice the RAM, way better speakers, an SD card slot (this alone makes me unable to buy the Icon/930), arguably better accessories (seriously, I would trade in every Nokia accessory I own for a DOT case), is thinner, lighter, and feels better in the hand is actually is actually worse than the Icon because of just the camera and the fact that Microsoft (yes, it was Microsoft who dropped the ball on the update, not HTC) neglected to properly test Update 1 on HTC hardware (which a fix is coming).

@Micah you keep strangely calling the M8 a "hand me down", but none of us understand why. It's just a phone with a different OS. The software team didn't build the phone with Android in mind, they just built it. They custom-designed a lot of their software suite specifically for WP and even added WP specific commands to their accessories. That sounds like support. What could they possibly have done to make it more "windows phoney"?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Friendly reminder folks.........
[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
[/INFO]

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I mean, we're not actually arguing that a phone with a better CPU/GPU, twice the RAM, way better speakers, an SD card slot (this alone makes me unable to buy the Icon/930), arguably better accessories (seriously, I would trade in every Nokia accessory I own for a DOT case), is thinner, lighter, and feels better in the hand is actually is actually worse than the Icon because of just the camera and the fact that Microsoft (yes, it was Microsoft who dropped the ball on the update, not HTC) neglected to properly test Update 1 on HTC hardware (which a fix is coming).

@Micah you keep strangely calling the M8 a "hand me down", but none of us understand why. It's just a phone with a different OS. The software team didn't build the phone with Android in mind, they just built it. They custom-designed a lot of their software suite specifically for WP and even added WP specific commands to their accessories. That sounds like support. What could they possibly have done to make it more "windows phoney"?

Because it is a Hand me down. The Phone originated as an Android Phone. It began there...it's almost like Samsung releasing the Galaxy for Windows. While the Ativ S line-up is similar it is still Windows Phone Esque. Nobody would look at an Ativ and get confused.

If i got a ONE M8 for windows, I don't want anyone to look at it and assume it is the Android version first. At least with Lumias you KNOW it is Windows Phone and that alone helps with word of mouth.

"I want that Yellow phone. That red. Etc etc"

Furthermore, what would have been better is if they would have evolved their 8X line-up....that would be less of a hand me down because it could be an evolution.

Whether people want to admit it or not, the device is awesome yes, but nonetheless still a hand me down from HTC. Meaning the next time the next android version comes, you'll STILL likely be behind and second class because the next version(if this device even does well) of the windows one will always be behind.

Even if they would have released it at the same time as the Android version(or at least announced it would be coming), it would've been better because it would feel less like a hand me down. At the very least throw some color into it to make it look somewhat different and made for windows phone.

People keep going on about the 800/801 cpu....really? Marginal difference and I'd hope so considering the M8 is the newer device.
Don't they have the same amount of Ram as the Icon?

I'll give you the Speaker and the SD card...though i couldn't care less about the first and I have the latter in my 1520 and it's not that big of a deal to me. But to each their own.

I held the icon and the M8(android) and i honestly prefer the build of Nokia's Icon over the m8.

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Neither am I, though I do model. That being said you don't have to be a professional photographer to appreciate the better camera. I prefer not settling for less simply because something looks better.
I am neither a model nor a professional photographer. I'm an industrial designer and I would not settle for something uglier just because it has a better camera.

But to each his own.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am neither a model nor a professional photographer. I'm an industrial designer and I would not settle for something uglier just because it has a better camera.

But to each his own.

Considering the fact that android fans were dying for a Lumia dvice that runs android, I seriously doubt that most people find Lumia ugly. Especially seeing as it is the top selling windows phone line up :)

You can justify your purchase but lets be a little more realistic with your digs/insults. :)

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Considering the fact that android fans were dying for a Lumia dvice that runs android, I seriously doubt that most people find Lumia ugly. Especially seeing as it is the top selling windows phone line up :)
A Lumia 800 running Android? Sure, they'd love that. A 930? I'm not so sure.

My comparison was pretty specific to M8 vs 930/Icon; your myopic logic implies that all Lumias look alike and are equally beautiful. They are not.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The M8 is a terrific phone. If the camera is important it might not be the phone to get, but other than that it's just as good or better than any other WP out there. I know a lot are concerned about HTC updating their phones, but HTC has done pretty good with the One series so far.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The M8 is a terrific phone. If the camera is important it might not be the phone to get, but other than that it's just as good or better than any other WP out there. I know a lot are concerned about HTC updating their phones, but HTC has done pretty good with the One series so far.

Of course they have. Android is where their money is.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
A Lumia 800 running Android? Sure, they'd love that. A 930? I'm not so sure.

My comparison was pretty specific to M8 vs 930/Icon; your myopic logic implies that all Lumias look alike and are equally beautiful. They are not.

All Lumia don't look alike. Each has its own identity and there is a reason why in each review most people compliment the overall design of various Lumia aside from thickness.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Lmao you can sell me yours ahahhaha I think I want the HTC too and rumor is the boot loader is the same we can put android on it and go back to windows .. Wait till they find a way to dual boot

Novron

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
M8 has IR blaster as well too right? Now if only it was waterproof, I wouldnt think twice about ever getting an Icon even if for $300
Yes, picked the phone up today. It has an IR blaster. Also has an FM radio which can be played through the speakers. What the M8 doesn't have is an equalizer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750