I love you my Icon, My Baby, but....

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Please explain why Tizen is a "knock off Android".

Because to me it is, it looks and functions just like a Galaxy phone same skin same features it should be more distinct ... not a Android look a like ...guess i have to blame Samsung for that...

I'm still waiting for Microsoft to release Office for Linux.
Keep waiting ... im still waiting for Windows Phone to be at the level of Android in terms of refinement and built in OS features (i hope Windows/WP 9 does this).

Im also waiting for Google to stop being childish and offer Google apps and Services to Windows Phone. Windows Phone is no threat to Google or Android currently lol i have to say currently ....

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I am sorry, but what in the blue blazes is with this small minded exclusivity crap.

This mindset I have seen here, is actually worse than those brainwashed hardcore Apple fanatics I have seen and talked to.

What is with this false sense of pride, that one needs to feel superior because something is only made for 1 platform? I firmly believe it is some left over childhood phobia we can see in some cases.

It is really difficult to understand some people who think like this because they can't understand their closed off views do more harm than good for the platforms they so desperately need to be the best. I don't know if it is jealousy or fear that makes them act and post stuff like this .

I have a very keen interest in this phone because I use the m8 Android version as my daily driver and I really dislike the negatives heeped upon it by these types of people.

Exclusivity either by platform or by the carriers is a bad thing. It may allow a few small minded individuals a sense of pride, but for a WP hamstrings the phone and the platform from having a real chance at gaining it's much needed market share and this means being accepted as a viable mainstream alternative.

As I said I am keenly interested in this phone and what it can do for the platform, and I thought I would explain this as opposed to arguing with anyone else who feels different.

Does this phone represent a slap in the face to some diehard Nokia fanatics, I am quite sure it does, but perhaps this is needed to wake them up to the fact that for Windows PHONE to succeed it's going to take a lot more than just their own preferred phone maker building exclusive phones to the platform. They had their chances over the years to do this, and have failed because they have allowed it's market share to decrease. Htc has allowed their best phone to date to run WP, and to give all those who prefer WP the opportunity to have a great phone, and from what many people on WPC have asked for and now will get is availability on other carriers too.

Only a small minded or very insecure person could take issue with this IMHO. WPC has given this phone a lot of press lately and for good reason, why....? Because it is a outstanding phone and they see the benefits of it.

Now that this phone is available for WP, every single person who wants this platform to succeed should support it, and not continually put it down because they don't like the company or its not a Nokia. Everyone should be calling, emailing, tweeting HTC and Microsoft to turn on all the features this phone is hardware capable of doing right now with a few updates like the leds and the equalizer. There is no reason that they can't, but if all they see on the # 1 Windows phone site in the world is people who are complaining that this phone is a hand me down Android phone then the chances of having this done isn't very good.

I am sorry for the rant, but this exclusivetivity mentality has to go away if we want this platform to succeed....

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Im also waiting for Google to stop being childish and offer Google apps and Services to Windows Phone. Windows Phone is no threat to Google or Android currently lol i have to say currently ....

And I'll keep waiting for Microsoft to stop being childish and release Office for Linux. I guess we will both we waiting for a long time. lol.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Please explain why Tizen is a "knock off Android".

I'm still waiting for Microsoft to release Office for Linux.

And I'll keep waiting for Microsoft to stop being childish and release Office for Linux. I guess we will both we waiting for a long time. lol.
i think MS will do that faster than Google after office for Android and IOS they may target LINUX

Schnydz

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Wait, we are talking about Google not Linux. And MS has office for Android now along with other MS apps, so.... where's google services on WP?

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Because it is a Hand me down. The Phone originated as an Android Phone. It began there...it's almost like Samsung releasing the Galaxy for Windows. While the Ativ S line-up is similar it is still Windows Phone Esque. Nobody would look at an Ativ and get confused.

If i got a ONE M8 for windows, I don't want anyone to look at it and assume it is the Android version first. At least with Lumias you KNOW it is Windows Phone and that alone helps with word of mouth.

"I want that Yellow phone. That red. Etc etc"

Furthermore, what would have been better is if they would have evolved their 8X line-up....that would be less of a hand me down because it could be an evolution.

Whether people want to admit it or not, the device is awesome yes, but nonetheless still a hand me down from HTC. Meaning the next time the next android version comes, you'll STILL likely be behind and second class because the next version(if this device even does well) of the windows one will always be behind.

Even if they would have released it at the same time as the Android version(or at least announced it would be coming), it would've been better because it would feel less like a hand me down. At the very least throw some color into it to make it look somewhat different and made for windows phone.

People keep going on about the 800/801 cpu....really? Marginal difference and I'd hope so considering the M8 is the newer device.
Don't they have the same amount of Ram as the Icon?

I'll give you the Speaker and the SD card...though i couldn't care less about the first and I have the latter in my 1520 and it's not that big of a deal to me. But to each their own.

I held the icon and the M8(android) and i honestly prefer the build of Nokia's Icon over the m8.

"Nobody would look at an Ativ and get confused." Is that a joke? They look exactly alike.

"you'll STILL likely be behind and second class because the next version(if this device even does well) of the windows one will always be behind."

This is almost too stupid to address. If the next version of both phones release 1 year after the first version of that one did, that's a negative?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately (for all of us!) there is yet to be the perfect phone, or for that matter, the perfect mobile OS.

The M8 (WP version obviously in this case) has some quite appealing features to me:

the microSD slot;
IR controller would be sweet to have (I wouldn't have to find ANY remote controls in the living room anymore);
nice speakers (by reputation, I am actually quite used to the "lay phone sort of against something to get the echo enhancement feature" of rear speaker life);
metal build (my OG Droid was a tank).

I don't particularly rate the 800/801 as an improvement as it is apparently such an incremental upgrade (heck, playing with my new Icon, the only thing I notice versus the 928 is that it gets hot as heck, speedwise it is the same).

However, Icon/930/other phones have some redeeming features like:

separate shutter button, this is just huge once you are used to it and take tons of pictures;
Qi charging -- I don't have 3 chargers laying around the house for nothing!
higher res camera -- again, tons of pictures, like to have that option.

Of course, playing with the Icon, I am already seeing the low light capabilities are just UGH compared to the 928.

SOMEONE LET ME DESIGN A LINE OF PHONES FOR THEM :p

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
People are literally excited over scraps. This phone is over 5-6 months old and I hate the thought that the os had to be dumb down enough just for us to get rehashes.

Actually the One M8 for Android is less than 5 months old. It took Nokia just as long, nearly 5 months, to release the Lumia 930 after releasing the carrier and country specific version of it, the Lumia Icon. Nokia is the one you should be complaining about. If they had released an AT&T version, or international version with AT&T LTE bands, of the Lumia Icon / 930 back in February, I would have likely switched from Android back to Windows Phone, but instead I am now rocking a One M8 for Android. I freaking wanted to switch back to Windows Phone, but I couldn't get a modern, normal sized Windows Phone on my carrier and neither could anyone else in the world apart from Verizon customers because Nokia freaking sold their soul for Verizon exclusivity. 5 month carrier + country exclusivity on the only normal sized Windows Phone with up to date hardware is the WORST POSSIBLE THING Nokia / MS could have done to increase Windows Phone market share.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Wait, we are talking about Google not Linux. And MS has office for Android now along with other MS apps, so.... where's google services on WP?

I'm pointing out that it's very ironic for Microsoft fanboys to complain about someone withholding apps or services from their platform for strategic reasons. I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy with Microsoft on this occasion.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm pointing out that it's very ironic for Microsoft fanboys to complain about someone withholding apps or services from their platform for strategic reasons. I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy with Microsoft on this occasion.

Windows Phone has a much larger (and unified) user base compared to Linux. Linux has many different distos that could cause compatibility problems between the various version (and don't even pretend that there are no compatibility problems between the Linux distos). They're hardly even comparably situations.

Now, they DO offer some type of skimmed down office for ChromeOS, so they do kind of support Linux, just not every version.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
My bf ordered this phone, unfortunately. We had an interesting debate about this phone. He said he was curious to try it out and wasn't planning to leave Lumia but wanted to know why I was so anti one.

Idk about the other Nokia owners but for me I truly hate that this is what windows phone is becoming. We were excited for great hardware that was more original and made for windows.

People are literally excited over scraps. This phone is over 5-6 months old and I hate the thought that the os had to be dumb down enough just for us to get rehashes.

More importantly it is a slap in the face of Nokia owners if this is apart of the reason there may not be a high end Lumia coming. Because Microsoft wants to appease these OEMs who have done nothing for the platform.

I respect the new OEMs we have gotten but Samsung and HTC I do not respect at all. They make great hardware and do nothing for this platform.

But hey if people want to throw money at HTC I hope they wont be complaining about poor support and apps.

Me myself I stick with the trusted experience of Lumia/microsoft.

That is a very weird spin that you're putting on this phone, but if we're being needlessly cynical, I would argue that at least HTC cares enough about WP that they don't have to be bribed with $1 billion a year just to support it. Yeah, some "support". It's not like they were basically forced to, and when they were still under contract to only make WP, they broke the contract and made Android phones anyways. That's worse than anything HTC or Samsung have ever done.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone has a much larger (and unified) user base compared to Linux. Linux has many different distos that could cause compatibility problems between the various version (and don't even pretend that there are no compatibility problems between the Linux distos). They're hardly even comparably situations.

Now, they DO offer some type of skimmed down office for ChromeOS, so they do kind of support Linux, just not every version.

Skype, Chrome, Spotify and Dropbox all work well on Linux. I am sure Microsoft could make Office work on most Linux desktops if they tried.

The point is that large technology companies use their popular products in strategic ways. Google and Microsoft both do it. Please bear that in mind before breaking out the righteous indignation.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Skype, Chrome, Spotify and Dropbox all work well on Linux. I am sure Microsoft could make Office work on most Linux desktops if they tried.

The point is that large technology companies use their popular products in strategic ways. Google and Microsoft both do it. Please bear that in mind before breaking out the righteous indignation.

Chrome being a minor exception in that list, most of those apps are relatively simple compared to Office. Yes, I'm sure they COULD make it work for Linux, but between the various distros, it's probably not worth their time. Some apps, such as office, would just take too much work. I don't fault Google for not making WP apps if they legitimately wouldn't see a ROI on their products, but with 80 million people, I'm a little skeptical.

For example of what I mean, look at VLC. Their website has downloads for multiple different distros (which took a lot of time to code), yet they're one of the most cross-platform applications around. I don't think they're holding back on the remaining distros because of monetary reasons, it's just a lot of work and for Microsoft (someone who is for-proft), it just isn't worth their time.

Last edited:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
My bf ordered this phone, unfortunately. We had an interesting debate about this phone. He said he was curious to try it out and wasn't planning to leave Lumia but wanted to know why I was so anti one.

Idk about the other Nokia owners but for me I truly hate that this is what windows phone is becoming. We were excited for great hardware that was more original and made for windows.

More importantly it is a slap in the face of Nokia owners if this is apart of the reason there may not be a high end Lumia coming. Because Microsoft wants to appease these OEMs who have done nothing for the platform.

I respect the new OEMs we have gotten but Samsung and HTC I do not respect at all. They make great hardware and do nothing for this platform.

But hey if people want to throw money at HTC I hope they wont be complaining about poor support and apps.

Me myself I stick with the trusted experience of Lumia/microsoft.

I probably shouldn't buy the Icon because it's several months old, and everyone knows a phone several months old is scraps, especially one not running the latest processor....

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Was that sarcasm? Lol

If course that was sarcasm, but in all honesty that statement was no more ridiculous than yours. Neither the Icon nor the M8 are scraps. I understand you really like Nokia phones, and there's nothing wrong with that because Nokia has terrific phones, but you're not helping the platform by turning every new phone thread into Nokia versus the world situation. Every phone has weaknesses, you just have to pick which weakness matters the least.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If course that was sarcasm, but in all honesty that statement was no more ridiculous than yours. Neither the Icon nor the M8 are scraps. I understand you really like Nokia phones, and there's nothing wrong with that because Nokia has terrific phones, but you're not helping the platform by turning every new phone thread into Nokia versus the world situation. Every phone has weaknesses, you just have to pick which weakness matters the least.

I figured it was sarcasm, but i wanted to ask before i blindly assumed.

When I called it SCRAPS, it wasn't a hit at the hardware. The HTC ONE M8 for windows is a great and beautiful looking device(And I'll admit that Selfie Camera/FFC alone makes me like it. I've been taking tons of pics with my bfs phone all day lol...JUST THE FRONT CAMERA, the back camera is awful compared to Lumia).

But thankfully the Nokia 830 is coming and it is supposed to have a High Res FFC as well.

It's Scrap(to me and many others) because people are going crazy over a phone that HTC didn't even originally make for Windows Phone. It's more like "Eh, let's just slap WIndows Phone on it and see how it does. What the hell? No big."

I find it hilarious that people are literally happy with getting scraps.
"Oh gosh, I'd love a Galaxy Note 4." or "I'd love a Sony Xperia Z."
but with windows.

How about we get excited when a company brings something new and unique FOR us, instead of us getting overly excited about Apps that you can tell were made for Android OR phones you know are made for Android and you know that even though it is bad-***, it still will be treated as a stepchild compared to the Original M8.

I am all for this phone doing great things for our platform but at the same time I don't support any OEM who doesn't actively try to bring NEW INNOVATIONS to the platform like nokia did(their camera quality). These features are features we already have seen and they are nothing truly special aside from the Cool Speakers(i'll admit they are great). Let's not hype up this phone and make it more than it is.

It's Pretty Scraps.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
That is a very weird spin that you're putting on this phone, but if we're being needlessly cynical, I would argue that at least HTC cares enough about WP that they don't have to be bribed with $1 billion a year just to support it. Yeah, some "support". It's not like they were basically forced to, and when they were still under contract to only make WP, they broke the contract and made Android phones anyways. That's worse than anything HTC or Samsung have ever done.

I can excuse Nokia lol...the fact they were already in dire straits and came onto the platform and brought many of the popular apps that Lumia AND Non-Lumia owners are now enjoying, the fact they alone are the ONLY reason windows phone is doing as well as it is and the fact they brought innovative products such as the 1020 as well as the first phablets(1320/1520) and their imaging skills to the platform.

I hated Nokia X as much as the next person but i give them a free pass because even with Nokia X they didn't make Windows Phone products feel like an after thought.

Samsung and HTC(to a lesser extent) will release a phone, do absolutely no marketing of it, barely acknowledge the device and then try to blame the OS for their lack of efforts and concern.

Nokia bugged me with X but then I remembered all the greatness they've brought to this platform and I cut em some slack.
The fact they were paid billions by microsoft? Okay so what? Without Microsoft paying them, all you people lusting over the ONE likely would have no One to lust over because HTC likely never would've brought it over here without Nokia paving the way for the mild success wp has presently.

Not sure what the "Support" thing means? Fact is, All Lumia owners can admit the fact the Nokia has the best support and if you wanted Support and know you'd get all updates(excluding 7.8) Lumia is the way to go.

Samsung does get most...eventually and HTC is usually worse off despite the fact of having less devices than Samsung.

anon(4054009)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I can excuse Nokia lol...the fact they were already in dire straits and came onto the platform and brought many of the popular apps that Lumia AND Non-Lumia owners are now enjoying, the fact they alone are the ONLY reason windows phone is doing as well as it is and the fact they brought innovative products such as the 1020 as well as the first phablets(1320/1520) and their imaging skills to the platform.

I hated Nokia X as much as the next person but i give them a free pass because even with Nokia X they didn't make Windows Phone products feel like an after thought.

Samsung and HTC(to a lesser extent) will release a phone, do absolutely no marketing of it, barely acknowledge the device and then try to blame the OS for their lack of efforts and concern.

Nokia bugged me with X but then I remembered all the greatness they've brought to this platform and I cut em some slack.
The fact they were paid billions by microsoft? Okay so what? Without Microsoft paying them, all you people lusting over the ONE likely would have no One to lust over because HTC likely never would've brought it over here without Nokia paving the way for the mild success wp has presently.

Not sure what the "Support" thing means? Fact is, All Lumia owners can admit the fact the Nokia has the best support and if you wanted Support and know you'd get all updates(excluding 7.8) Lumia is the way to go.

Samsung does get most...eventually and HTC is usually worse off despite the fact of having less devices than Samsung.
Your snobby attitude toward an electronic device is pretty funny. Any advancement in the OS expansion is a good thing with Apple and Google doing their best to strangle WP. With the amount of money Microsoft, Nokia, and other WP phone makers have lost its amazing we are still here. Good thing for that 2 billion per year licensing fees from Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss