I love you my Icon, My Baby, but....

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm pointing out that it's very ironic for Microsoft fanboys to complain about someone withholding apps or services from their platform for strategic reasons. I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy with Microsoft on this occasion.

is Linux used enough to justify MS building the app for it and then there are multiple version and unix yada but i agree with u it would be nice to have an Office app there.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I can excuse Nokia lol...the fact they were already in dire straits and came onto the platform and brought many of the popular apps that Lumia AND Non-Lumia owners are now enjoying, the fact they alone are the ONLY reason windows phone is doing as well as it is and the fact they brought innovative products such as the 1020 as well as the first phablets(1320/1520) and their imaging skills to the platform.

I hated Nokia X as much as the next person but i give them a free pass because even with Nokia X they didn't make Windows Phone products feel like an after thought.

Samsung and HTC(to a lesser extent) will release a phone, do absolutely no marketing of it, barely acknowledge the device and then try to blame the OS for their lack of efforts and concern.

Nokia bugged me with X but then I remembered all the greatness they've brought to this platform and I cut em some slack.
The fact they were paid billions by microsoft? Okay so what? Without Microsoft paying them, all you people lusting over the ONE likely would have no One to lust over because HTC likely never would've brought it over here without Nokia paving the way for the mild success wp has presently.

Not sure what the "Support" thing means? Fact is, All Lumia owners can admit the fact the Nokia has the best support and if you wanted Support and know you'd get all updates(excluding 7.8) Lumia is the way to go.

Samsung does get most...eventually and HTC is usually worse off despite the fact of having less devices than Samsung.

Few things.....

1) You blame HTC and Samsung for focusing on Android because that's where they make their money, but then go "so what?" when I point out that Microsoft bribed Nokia to stay exclusive to the platform..... and they still didn't do it. They stuck their middle finger at Microsoft. Did you not notice the sudden drop off of Lumia 520 sales after the Nokia X, did you? If Microsoft hadn't bribed Nokia, they would've also focused on Android too and left Windows Phone behind. This idea of Nokia being more committed than other OEMs is slightly ridiculous IMO. They did what they did because of business. Nokia is no different than Samsung or HTC except that they were paid massive amounts of money to stay exclusive, and then didn't. Yeah, they were super dedicated weren't they lol?

2) I'll give you the 1020, but there really isn't much that is innovative about the 1520 and 1320. Maybe the Lumia 1520's DD5.1 audio recording could be considered kind of innovative, but I have yet to hear anyone express any more interest in it after learning about it. You dislike Samsung, but they're the ones bringing innovative phablets with things such as their S-pen. That's why people want a Galaxy Note 4 running Windows Phone, because if it ran Windows Phone, they would buy that over the 1520. All of Nokia's "innovative" features at the high-end hasn't helped sales hardly at all. I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think you realize what Nokia's camera tech is. Things like "Pureview" are just fancy words for the way that they process photos. There's nothing special about it, that's why Microsoft only bought the brand name and didn't care for the camera technology. The real numbers have come from the Lumia 520 and that has mainly been because of the Nokia brand because of their past phones.

3) This "scraps" thing is kind of getting old. For the last time, the hardware team didn't make an Android phone, they made a phone and the software team just put Android on it. It's like saying that you can't buy a Dell, HP, Asus, or Acer because they make Chromebooks and you want someone "completely dedicated to the Windows platform". You want to know what scraps is? Scraps is ignoring user's pleas for an average sized high-end phone with functions that they consider basic such as Glance and an SD card and going "well, we're about to be sold, so I guess we don't have to put that much effort into a phone". That's what scraps is. I can live with without glance, but the fact that they didn't include an SD card in a decent sized phone forced me to get a 1520 or leave Windows Phone and if I wasn't such a big Microsoft fan, I would've left.

4) I don't know where you get this idea that Nokia gets better support, except for maybe better firmware (because of the aforementioned bribing). In literally every GDR, HTC and Samsung has got the updates first and Nokia has infamously been last. The only reason that HTC isn't getting Update 1 (yet) is because Microsoft dropped the ball and didn't work with HTC before releasing the Developer Preview. I know we all love getting updates early, but when we get the update about the same time as OEMs do, things like this are inevitable. IF, and ONLY IF, Lumia phones start getting the Update 1 firmware and HTC still hasn't fixed the problem, then that would show lack of support. The current situation means nothing.

Last edited:

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Few things.....

1) You blame HTC and Samsung for focusing on Android because that's where they make their money, but then go "so what?" when I point out that Microsoft bribed Nokia to stay exclusive to the platform..... and they still didn't do it. They stuck their middle finger at Microsoft. Did you not notice the sudden drop off of Lumia 520 sales after the Nokia X, did you? If Microsoft hadn't bribed Nokia, they would've also focused on Android too and left Windows Phone behind. This idea of Nokia being more committed than other OEMs is slightly ridiculous IMO. They did what they did because of business. Nokia is no different than Samsung or HTC except that they were paid massive amounts of money to stay exclusive, and then didn't. Yeah, they were super dedicated weren't they lol?

2) I'll give you the 1020, but there isn't really isn't much that is innovative about the 1520 and 1320. Maybe the Lumia 1520's DD5.1 audio recording could be considered kind of innovative, but I have yet to hear anyone express any more interest in it after learning about it. You dislike Samsung, but they're the ones bringing innovative phablets with things such as their S-pen. That's why people want a Galaxy Note 4 running Windows Phone, because if it ran Windows Phone, they would buy that over the 1520. All of Nokia's "innovative" features at the high-end hasn't helped sales hardly at all. I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think you realize what Nokia's camera tech is. Things like "Preview" are just fancy words for the way that they process photos. There's nothing special about it, that's why Microsoft only bought the brand name and didn't care for the camera technology. The real numbers have come from the Lumia 520 and that has mainly been because of the Nokia brand because of their past phones.

3) This "scraps" thing is kind of getting old. For the last time, the hardware team didn't make an Android phone, they made a phone and the software team just put Android on it. It's like saying that you can't buy a Dell, HP, Asus, or Acer because they make Chromebooks and you want someone "completely dedicated to the Windows platform". You want to know what scraps is? Scraps is ignoring user's pleas for an average sized high-end phone with functions that they consider basic such as Glance and an SD card and going "well, we're about to be sold, so I guess we don't have to put that much effort into a phone". That's what scraps is. I can live with without glance, but the fact that they didn't include an SD card in a decent sized phone forced me to get a 1520 or leave Windows Phone and if I wasn't such a big Microsoft fan, I would've left.

4) I don't know where you get this idea that Nokia gets better support, except for maybe better firmware (because of the aforementioned bribing). In literally every GDR, HTC and Samsung has got the updates first and Nokia has infamously been last. The only reason that HTC isn't getting Update 1 (yet) is because Microsoft dropped the ball and didn't work with HTC before releasing the Developer preview. I know we all love getting updates early, but when we get the update about the same time as OEMs do, things like this are inevitable. IF, and ONLY IF, Lumia phones start getting the Update 1 firmware and HTC still hasn't fixed the problem, then that would show lack of support. The current situation means nothing.

Thank you very much my point exactly .... Why should Phone OEM's put effort into an OS that lacks innovation and is still catching up.... Blame MS and Their OS ... Also Nokia for not innovating as much.

Notice that since MS bought Nokia ... they struck a deal with cannon specifically for cameras .... maybe cuz the Samsung Galaxy K or S5 has great cameras ..... PS Samsung makes cameras too Pure view was not gonna win for long except in 1020 like devices and even still the older Nokia pureview 808 still takes slightly better pics than the 1020 ... from my understanding.

Don't hate the device or device manufacturer .... be mad that what needs to be done to the OS to make it compelling is not being done...
A note 4 with windows phone would be cool if it had S pen, split screen apps, and API's that allows Samsung to innovate more like smart stay, L.E.D notification lights ect. If the OS allowed Samsung to innovate they would have by now instead of saying well we will refresh last years galaxy for windows that is so called Scraps .... also HTC had to limit some features most likely due to OS constraints because some functions the Android M8 has are missing but cuddos to HTC i like the little touches they put into windows.

also knowing MS they may steal some of those software touches in put it in GDR2 calling it new features smh ... double tap to wake left Nokia and jumped into GDR1 .....

Really hope MS gets its Act together sigh

in other news why does my 920 use so much battery when location is on ....??

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't fault Google for not making WP apps if they legitimately wouldn't see a ROI on their products, but with 80 million people, I'm a little skeptical.

I'm sure that Google knows that they're hurting WP by not providing apps. They probably figured out that even though the current user base might be enough to see an acceptable ROI, there is also value in suppressing WP as much as possible. And why wouldn't they? We might not like it, but that's business. If Google thought that, after taking everything into consideration, there was a dollar to be made by developing WP apps, they would do it. Turn the tables and I'm sure Microsoft would do the same thing.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I've never been able to understand the snob attitude of some people....

Nokia built some nice phones for Microsoft,as well that they should have with as much money as they were getting from them when they were investing in them. What patents that they have retained in the acquisition won't be given freely anymore. They will be up for sale to those who want them. After the time period is up,does anyone really think that they will be a exclusive WP maker again....

So....what now for those small minded people who feel exclusivity is best for the platform hmmmmm..Do you honestly think that any oem is going to ever limit their production in this way again or as much as Nokia did? I can honestly say this,if they did,they would soon be a business just like Nokia is right now..DIW...

SO...If Microsoft can't turn around their continuing market share slide...Who is going to step up and build flagship phones for them...?

Microsoft has been known for cutting their losses......what happens if they abandon this venture and elect to sell off what they just bought...and take the hit on the stocks..It won't be the first time something like this has happened...

No...to succeed they need to convince those who are just getting a smart phone and those who are needing a new phone to buy a WP...and they need this to happen here in the USA first...like it or not...

They have to show everyone that they have the same phones as everyone else has on the other platforms..or better than they have with the same phones...and this is what they should be capitalizing on...and I believe that they will be with this phone,and it's only the start of this
The app gap will be brought up every time....and until the parity of first party applications is equal it will be...Once that is corrected there will be the choices of browsers that aren't an extension of Internet Explorer and music and video players that aren't an extension of Xbox that will be critiqued ...even though the Microsoft fans love both...and Lord knows that to actually port over something like Power Amp and MX player without the constraints would really be considered a major hand me down..these 4 things changing would make WP #2 in a year...Having these changes alone would have myself and the rest of my family back that is for sure...and I know many of my co-workers and friends as well...because that is the main reasons they remain on Android and Apple...

The real snobs of Apple and WP can't see beyond their own noses and nitpick Android to death over and over again...and just don't get it...

I don't understand why.....seriously...

WP is a great platform I know this...but...the stranglehold Microsoft has imposed on how certain things run is causing it to die a slow death. They have the same affliction that there snobs have...because they don't really get it either...

Android will remain#1 until it becomes locked down just like Apple and just like Microsoft...because the vast majority of people don't buy them because the vast majority of people selling them don't believe in them...ask yourself why that really is...

This new WP from HTC...while to some is nothing more than a rehashed or a hand me down Android..can be the start of the platforms rise in popularity...and everyone best hope and pray that it is...

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I've never been able to understand the snob attitude of some people....

Nokia built some nice phones for Microsoft,as well that they should have with as much money as they were getting from them when they were investing in them. What patents that they have retained in the acquisition won't be given freely anymore. They will be up for sale to those who want them. After the time period is up,does anyone really think that they will be a exclusive WP maker again....

So....what now for those small minded people who feel exclusivity is best for the platform hmmmmm..Do you honestly think that any oem is going to ever limit their production in this way again or as much as Nokia did? I can honestly say this,if they did,they would soon be a business just like Nokia is right now..DIW...

SO...If Microsoft can't turn around their continuing market share slide...Who is going to step up and build flagship phones for them...?

Microsoft has been known for cutting their losses......what happens if they abandon this venture and elect to sell off what they just bought...and take the hit on the stocks..It won't be the first time something like this has happened...

No...to succeed they need to convince those who are just getting a smart phone and those who are needing a new phone to buy a WP...and they need this to happen here in the USA first...like it or not...

They have to show everyone that they have the same phones as everyone else has on the other platforms..or better than they have with the same phones...and this is what they should be capitalizing on...and I believe that they will be with this phone,and it's only the start of this
The app gap will be brought up every time....and until the parity of first party applications is equal it will be...Once that is corrected there will be the choices of browsers that aren't an extension of Internet Explorer and music and video players that aren't an extension of Xbox that will be critiqued ...even though the Microsoft fans love both...and Lord knows that to actually port over something like Power Amp and MX player without the constraints would really be considered a major hand me down..these 4 things changing would make WP #2 in a year...Having these changes alone would have myself and the rest of my family back that is for sure...and I know many of my co-workers and friends as well...because that is the main reasons they remain on Android and Apple...

The real snobs of Apple and WP can't see beyond their own noses and nitpick Android to death over and over again...and just don't get it...

I don't understand why.....seriously...

WP is a great platform I know this...but...the stranglehold Microsoft has imposed on how certain things run is causing it to die a slow death. They have the same affliction that there snobs have...because they don't really get it either...

Android will remain#1 until it becomes locked down just like Apple and just like Microsoft...because the vast majority of people don't buy them because the vast majority of people selling them don't believe in them...ask yourself why that really is...

This new WP from HTC...while to some is nothing more than a rehashed or a hand me down Android..can be the start of the platforms rise in popularity...and everyone best hope and pray that it is...

Compelling points and at times i think MS should abandon the WP project not because of market share of because its unpopular because ... its evolving too slowly and MS is lazy .... u have the do's and don'ts of both android and ios... to know where windows should be and it still lagging why heck u even see what Samsung has added to Android talk to them they may have ideas for WP cuz clearly MS is running out of ideas ...

BB10 has unique features and its getting more features and faster faster every iteration even a UI overall / refinement where as MS are now ripping out system apps because they now realize that the cant add new features or updates if its tied too the system... windows will get there one day .... but for now ill wait and see ...

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
It's Scrap(to me and many others) because people are going crazy over a phone that HTC didn't even originally make for Windows Phone. It's more like "Eh, let's just slap WIndows Phone on it and see how it does. What the hell? No big."
I think it's important to note how important it was to HTC that doing this was even possible. Thanks to the changes Microsoft has made to WP8.1 (support for onscreen buttons, removed requirement for camera button), HTC was able to create the M8 for Windows within their extremely tight development budget and the WP community should be glad this phone even exists, whether or not they actually buy it.

Remember HTC is not Samsung, they no longer have the money to develop bespoke phones for a tiny platform. Industrial design is one of the most resource-intensive, time-consuming and expensive parts of product development and HTC was able to deliver a premium WP device while avoiding this cost. Forgive us if some of us here have trouble understanding why that is bad.

If you want to talk about respect for a brand, allow me to say that as a designer, I have immense respect for a small, money-losing company that has the guts to follow its design team's vision and put such an expensive-to-manufacture design into production and then charge about the same price as a Galaxy S5. Can you honestly blame them for trying to recoup a little more of those costs by broadening the M8's appeal with a second OS?

"Hand-me-downs" aren't necessarily a bad thing if one is happy with the result, and I daresay many M8 for Windows owners will be very happy. Do not forget that Nokia's entire Windows Phone story began with two hand-me-downs: the Lumia 800 and 710. And I enjoyed my 800 tremendously.

experiment 626

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Because it is a Hand me down. The Phone originated as an Android Phone. It began there...it's almost like Samsung releasing the Galaxy for Windows. While the Ativ S line-up is similar it is still Windows Phone Esque. Nobody would look at an Ativ and get confused.
IMO, the fact that HTC used the exact same hardware from their Android M8 for their Windows M8 is a strength. Look at all the accessories Windows M8 owners now have available right off the shelf. Would those owners have the same options had HTC built a WP-specific device? Odds are NO. I wish Samsung had done the same thing for their ATIV SE, just take the Galaxy S5 hardware, wipe-off KitKat and reload it with WP 8.1. The ATIV SE will never get the third-party support since it's just different enough from the GS5 that the only accessories available will be the overpriced ones at Verizon stores.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
IMO, the fact that HTC used the exact same hardware from their Android M8 for their Windows M8 is a strength. Look at all the accessories Windows M8 owners now have available right off the shelf. Would those owners have the same options had HTC built a WP-specific device? Odds are NO. I wish Samsung had done the same thing for their ATIV SE, just take the Galaxy S5 hardware, wipe-off KitKat and reload it with WP 8.1. The ATIV SE will never get the third-party support since it's just different enough from the GS5 that the only accessories available will be the overpriced ones at Verizon stores.

The Ativ SE is essentially an S4 .... But it makes more sense for Samsung and HTC to have one device With two different OS
Samsung Can afford to make changes to the S5 or upcoming S6 so that its WP specific i.e change the Home button as i doubt windows Phone supports bio-metric devices .. and it makes already available cases and accessories plus Samsung can code in stuff / features ..

experiment 626

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
There is a lot riding on how well HTC does with this. If the M8 w/Windows sells enough, and the bar doesn't have to be too high, other manufacturers will be willing to load their phones with Windows OS.Really holding out hope for a Sony Xperia Z2 w/Windows.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
There is a lot riding on how well HTC does with this. If the M8 w/Windows sells enough, and the bar doesn't have to be too high, other manufacturers will be willing to load their phones with Windows OS.Really holding out hope for a Sony Xperia Z2 w/Windows.

Yes Sony Devices with Windows would be good.
if more manufacturers install Windows on Andriod hardware it may also force MS to work on windows faster with support for more sensors, cases, better NFC and Bluetooth profiles and more Even make windows work with better CPU's and more energy efficient, also possibly allow apps to run in the background fully idk?

it would force MS's hand a bit to make windows take advantage of all hardware features also i think windows need's pen support multil window and other features i think are basic that its lacking currently ...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry d still would prefer an original design unless they release both at the same time. This getting hardware months after it debut on android is not doing anything but making us a second class group even more.

Either original designs for both os or release them at the same time or at the least a month or so apart.

kingkoopa09

May 9, 2012
Visit site
But windows doesn't need it look at the improved benchmarks and battery life on the SAME phone as releases get closer its gonna get noticed more

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Sorry d still would prefer an original design unless they release both at the same time. This getting hardware months after it debut on android is not doing anything but making us a second class group even more.

Either original designs for both os or release them at the same time or at the least a month or so apart.

Hopefully they do start releasing them closer together,but they also need to see that there's enough demand for them too.

Without the demand,little chance of this happening.

They can stimulate the market,if they learn to understand it better. Right now they don't,for so long they have done things one way,and things need to change.

Look at how many WP people would have gotten this phone, had it been available on all carriers and worldwide instead of a exclusive.......this is one thing Microsoft needs to convince the carriers to stop and to have more control over.

There's a whole slew of other things too that really needs to change,but that's best left for a different discussion

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Gosh... I read through most of what was written before, but I don't see the problem with HTC making a Windows phone using the M8. It's not the phone that I will upgrade to after my 920 ,but for some people it will work great. The more window phones sold the more developers will pay attention to making more and better apps for the OS ...seems like a win win ... Some of what was written was a little cult like in a way anyway I hope the HTC windows phone sells like hot cakes and a whole group of new people join the windows phone community.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I still doubt this phone will be a monster success even on multiple carriers. Much like how Android is Synonymous with Galaxy, Lumia is synonymous for Windows phone.

HTC will, ironically, be playing 2nd place again. For all the cool features and attractive design there is one sore point: The camera.

Case in point: My BF's little brother wanted a new cellphone. He was originally going to put him on his verizon line until i told him to get T-mobile and get a 630 for $120 off contract.

When i was showing him the windows phone here was his response

1. Ativ SE- No, that's ugly.

2. 8x- Ooh it is in red i want it(They don't sell it anymore at the store. Idk why the store was still having it on display tbh)

3. HTC One- It's nice....But wait? Why does it say 4 megapixels?

Me: Well it is only 4 megapixels but it takes decent pics.

Him: But isn't yours more.

Me: Well yeah...it's 20.

Him: So isn't less worse then?

me: It's hard to explain but not always....

Him: My dad's iPhone is 8 megapixels. I don't want this phone. It has less than my dad's phone. I want a phone like you, Micah.

4. Icon- "It's kind of thick and heavy but it has the same camera as you and your phone takes awesome pics."

That's the kind of thing people notice.
People notice how attractive a phone is, yes. But the average joe doesn't care that the M8 has an IR blaster....The speakers are super cool(I am slightly jealous) but given how instagram crazy my generation is, hearing the phone has 4 megapixels to the 20 megapxels, many people are going to go with Lumia.

I don't see HTC really doing better than Nokia or even Samsnung for that matter simply because the world is more or less used to the Lumia line for windows phone in most places.
Hopefully they do start releasing them closer together,but they also need to see that there's enough demand for them too.

Without the demand,little chance of this happening.

They can stimulate the market,if they learn to understand it better. Right now they don't,for so long they have done things one way,and things need to change.

Look at how many WP people would have gotten this phone, had it been available on all carriers and worldwide instead of a exclusive.......this is one thing Microsoft needs to convince the carriers to stop and to have more control over.

There's a whole slew of other things too that really needs to change,but that's best left for a different discussion

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Micah I think if we will all be honest neither the M8 nor the Icon/930 will be a big hit on all carriers running WP. All we can hope for is to chip away and hope for the platform to grow.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I still doubt this phone will be a monster success even on multiple carriers. Much like how Android is Synonymous with Galaxy, Lumia is synonymous for Windows phone.

HTC will, ironically, be playing 2nd place again. For all the cool features and attractive design there is one sore point: The camera.

Case in point: My BF's little brother wanted a new cellphone. He was originally going to put him on his verizon line until i told him to get T-mobile and get a 630 for $120 off contract.

When i was showing him the windows phone here was his response

1. Ativ SE- No, that's ugly.

2. 8x- Ooh it is in red i want it(They don't sell it anymore at the store. Idk why the store was still having it on display tbh)

3. HTC One- It's nice....But wait? Why does it say 4 megapixels?

Me: Well it is only 4 megapixels but it takes decent pics.

Him: But isn't yours more.

Me: Well yeah...it's 20.

Him: So isn't less worse then?

me: It's hard to explain but not always....

Him: My dad's iPhone is 8 megapixels. I don't want this phone. It has less than my dad's phone. I want a phone like you, Micah.

4. Icon- "It's kind of thick and heavy but it has the same camera as you and your phone takes awesome pics."

That's the kind of thing people notice.
People notice how attractive a phone is, yes. But the average joe doesn't care that the M8 has an IR blaster....The speakers are super cool(I am slightly jealous) but given how instagram crazy my generation is, hearing the phone has 4 megapixels to the 20 megapxels, many people are going to go with Lumia.

I don't see HTC really doing better than Nokia or even Samsnung for that matter simply because the world is more or less used to the Lumia line for windows phone in most places.

Samsung synonymous with Android and Nokia synonymous with WP needs to change for the uneducated. Now that Nokia is past tense and other Androids are leapfrogging ahead with what they bring to the platform,being able to show people a choice of handsets will be better all around.

I fully expect the camera issue to become a non-issue on the next-generation of One that comes out.

Spec wars will always have casualties and for some people they have to have the very best camera built-in to even consider this phone,while to just as many people want something else. We each have to decide what is more important to us.

Getting back to this phone,and it's camera,it can do a good job for what it was designed to do...regardless wither another phone does some type of shots better and what also matters is I as well as many other folks here are happy to see it get WP on it.

Now that it is,let's try to get over the fact that it is,and try to support it like any other phone running WP. Putting it down because it had Android on it only hurts WP,not help. The more different Android flagship phones means the more WP is being sold...

This phone can be the start of a new era for WP....If folks give it a chance to.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I fully expect the camera issue to become a non-issue on the next-generation of One that comes out.

Spec wars will always have casualties and for some people they have to have the very best camera built-in to even consider this phone,while to just as many people want something else. We each have to decide what is more important to us.

Getting back to this phone,and it's camera,it can do a good job for what it was designed to do...regardless wither another phone does some type of shots better and what also matters is I as well as many other folks here are happy to see it get WP on it.

Now that it is,let's try to get over the fact that it is,and try to support it like any other phone running WP. Putting it down because it had Android on it only hurts WP,not help. The more different Android flagship phones means the more WP is being sold...

This phone can be the start of a new era for WP....If folks give it a chance to.

I agree. Regardless of whether you think the Lumia line is better because of the camera, the important thing is that both HTC and Verizon put enough stock into WP to think it was worth it to bring a flagship Android phone to WP.

Support it and maybe LG and others will follow which can only be good for the platform. As much as you hate the fickle, we're going to need them for WP to survive. Walking into a Verizon (and soon AT&T) store and seeing a familiar device
Running Windows will grab their attention.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I have the M8 and the icon. I'm supporting windows phone. I also think they are both awesome devices. Some things I prefer over the other, but each are great devices. The M8 camera is actually surprising the heck outta me. I think I was prepared to be unimpressed and even maybe disappointed merely because I was reading all the anti M8 posts. My shots are 99% hiking outdoors and it takes a very sharp, vibrant picture. The battery on the M8 is way better than my icon which is nice. Both are running 8.1. Until cyan comes out i'll be using the M8 then maybe switch back to see what the cyan is all about. From what I've read of folks who already have it on they seem more unimpressed than impressed. Could be a bit of a let down after anticipating it for so long. Then there will of course be the inevitable bugs.
Just wanted to chime in and say I support the M8 and those who call it a hand me down device don't bother me a bit as I'm likin' the crap outta mine. Better battery, faster, expandable memory, double tap to wake, huge selection of accessories, no laggy wake up issues, stellar WiFi signal, awesome speakers, awesome build quality and much more, what's not to like? Oh, it's a hand me down! MEH! Pretty frickin' nice hand me down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans