I love you my Icon, My Baby, but....

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If you haven't noticed Micah is attempting to convince us that Nokia is the end all of phones. He seems more interesting in "criticizing" non-Nokia windows phones than being excited about another high end phone that might help the platform grow.
If you're going to reference me, please reference me correctly.

I am critical of all Non-lumia phones because I've seen the way they treat their customers. Phones not getting updates, OEMS leaving windows phone and then people having to settle for either the current version of software or voiding warranty by using DP, OEMs doing nothing to get the info out that they make Windows phone in the first place and then Blaming Microsoft/Windows phone when it doesn't sell....Releasing Crap looking hardware(The entire Ativ lineup) and Rehashes....

Whether people want to admit it or not...The Phone is a hand me down or scraps. It came out months after the Original M8 did and it is nothing to get excited for.

If this was March, yes I'd be more excited. This phone is highly irrelevant by now and we're halfway to the point of a M9.

I really wish people would stop holding onto the fact of OEMs saving Windows Phone...That is and never has been the problem. When gamechanging phones like the 1020 and 1520 couldn't, what would make an HTC one m8 for windows any different? Even Samsung's half-done efforts are not helping...

The problem with Windows Phone is not the fact people dont have choice(They have plenty of Lumias to choose from and Most people on Android are always wanted a High-end lumia). It's the fact that
1. They hate the UI
2. The lack of apps
3. The lack of apps
4. The lack of apps

In case you didn't get it
5. The lack of apps.

Having multiple choices for WIndows Phone is great. But it is not and never has been the problem. When Android/IOS have better versions of popular apps such as Instagram, Vine, Facebook, etc etc and all the popular games...Why would they want to come here when we tell them "Hey download 6tag, 6sec and Facebook Beta."

So let's get real. The phone is great......But it is not the best windows phone, it's nothing fresh and it is not going to save the platform anymore than Nokia did. At best it'll keep up the momentum Nokia has done and even then that is questionable because this is HTC we're talking about.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Its almost like some here are afraid of the M8 being successful and keep repeating themselves about what they believe is a weakness in the M8. The M8 is a smartphone, not a camera. I am a pro photographer and currently completely satisfied with the M8's camera. I wouldn't use it on a job but grabbing it to get a quick shot of family members, friends or just messing around hasn't caused me to regret my decision to get one.

I have nothing against the Icon and hope (actually pray) that everyone that has one loves it. I'm not going to bash it just because I fear more will like it than the M8 (actually, why would the normal person care).

On a lighter and more useful note. I've had the M8 of a few days now and put in a 13 hour day at work yesterday. I use my phone lightly (by most cellphone user's standards), a lot of texts, checking FB and Twitter, some light internet browsing, emails, several phone calls, a few pictures and showing it to a friend. When I got home last night I was tired and went to bed forgetting to charge the M8. Woke up this morning and still had 50% charge. Dang, 24 hours later. That would never happen with my 8x.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Its almost like some here are afraid of the M8 being successful and keep repeating themselves about what they believe is a weakness in the M8. The M8 is a smartphone, not a camera. I am a pro photographer and currently completely satisfied with the M8's camera. I wouldn't use it on a job but grabbing it to get a quick shot of family members, friends or just messing around hasn't caused me to regret my decision to get one.

I have nothing against the Icon and hope (actually pray) that everyone that has one loves it. I'm not going to bash it just because I fear more will like it than the M8 (actually, why would the normal person care).

On a lighter and more useful note. I've had the M8 of a few days now and put in a 13 hour day at work yesterday. I use my phone lightly (by most cellphone user's standards), a lot of texts, checking FB and Twitter, some light internet browsing, emails, several phone calls, a few pictures and showing it to a friend. When I got home last night I was tired and went to bed forgetting to charge the M8. Woke up this morning and still had 50% charge. Dang, 24 hours later. That would never happen with my 8x.

And it is like so many ppeople are blissfully unaware. Let's use our reading comprehension skills that I know you have.

I never once ssaid was afraid of the m8. I'm not. I don't care lol. Aside from the camera, I haven't said anything bad about the phone and even then what I said is truth lol. The camera sucks lol.

If you rreadwhat i said above i said more hardware is not going to make windows phones hit until the app problem becomes less of a problem.

It's never been the issue of wanting more hardware, it's because perception of the os and lack of apps. I've never heard an android owner go...gee i wish they had the galaxy or m8. I'd get a windows phone.

More like "i hate tiles" or it lacks apps features.
I laugh because people actually think this phone is the phone to save the platform when Nokia couldn't even do it and Lumiais wanted by the majority of windows phone owners lol. In fact most m8 owners have the phone not so much because they dislike Lumia because presently this is all they have to choose from.....or a 6 month old icon lol.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site

I am critical of all Non-lumia phones because I've seen the way they treat their customers. Phones not getting updates, OEMS leaving windows phone and then people having to settle for either the current version of software or voiding warranty by using DP, OEMs doing nothing to get the info out that they make Windows phone in the first place and then Blaming Microsoft/Windows phone when it doesn't sell....Releasing Crap looking hardware(The entire Ativ lineup) and Rehashes....

Whether people want to admit it or not...The Phone is a hand me down or scraps. It came out months after the Original M8 did and it is nothing to get excited for.

If this was March, yes I'd be more excited. This phone is highly irrelevant by now and we're halfway to the point of a M9.

I really wish people would stop holding onto the fact of OEMs saving Windows Phone...That is and never has been the problem. When gamechanging phones like the 1020 and 1520 couldn't, what would make an HTC one m8 for windows any different? Even Samsung's half-done efforts are not helping...

The problem with Windows Phone is not the fact people dont have choice(They have plenty of Lumias to choose from and Most people on Android are always wanted a High-end lumia). It's the fact that
1. They hate the UI
2. The lack of apps
3. The lack of apps
4. The lack of apps

5. The lack of apps.

Having multiple choices for WIndows Phone is great. But it is not and never has been the problem. When Android/IOS have better versions of popular apps such as Instagram, Vine, Facebook, etc etc and all the popular games...Why would they want to come here when we tell them "Hey download 6tag, 6sec and Facebook Beta."

So let's get real. The phone is great......But it is not the best windows phone, it's nothing fresh and it is not going to save the platform anymore than Nokia did. At best it'll keep up the momentum Nokia has done and even then that is questionable because this is HTC we're talking about.

Nothing is wrong with the UI ... you think the Android ui or Samsung's touch whizz any better?? i admit WP UI s getting a bate stale but i like it overall just needs more colours and a bit of refinement i find there is allot of unused space.

The apps thing i understand and the apps that WP has need to step up in terms of quantity there are some excellent ones but most need a quality boost ...

One also needs to remember that not every one would like Nokia Phones so choice of other manufacturers are key as well.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Nothing is wrong with the UI ... you think the Android ui or Samsung's touch whizz any better?? i admit WP UI s getting a bate stale but i like it overall just needs more colours and a bit of refinement i find there is allot of unused space.

The apps thing i understand and the apps that WP has need to step up in terms of quantity there are some excellent ones but most need a quality boost ...

One also needs to remember that not every one would like Nokia Phones so choice of other manufacturers are key as well.

WP UI getting stale? If Microsoft changed the UI to something completely different everybody would be up in arms. Look what happened to iOS when Apple tried to change things up in iOS 7. Try changing the color scheme, moving/resizing your tiles to make it "fresh"

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
WP UI getting stale? If Microsoft changed the UI to something completely different everybody would be up in arms. Look what happened to iOS when Apple tried to change things up in iOS 7. Try changing the color scheme, moving/resizing your tiles to make it "fresh"

I said it needs refinement and more colours not an overhaul please note the difference ..... thanks ...
either way with WP9 its going to get some polish maybe a small overhaul ...

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Let's use our reading comprehension skills that I know you have.

... I never once ssaid was afraid of the m8 ...

I said:

"Its ALMOST like SOME here . . . "

Full Definition of ALMOST
: very nearly but not exactly or entirely

Full Definition of SOME
: being an unknown, undetermined, or unspecified unit or thing

I missed where I mentioned you specifically Micah. There are others claiming the same thing. However, thank you for helping me with my reading comprehension skills.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Considering your post was referencing things I've said, it wasn't too big of a jump to assume that it was in reference to me. Hence why I responded. My apologies for the incorrect assumption :p
I said:

"Its ALMOST like SOME here . . . "

Full Definition of ALMOST
: very nearly but not exactly or entirely

Full Definition of SOME
: being an unknown, undetermined, or unspecified unit or thing

I missed where I mentioned you specifically Micah. There are others claiming the same thing. However, thank you for helping me with my reading comprehension skills.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

The only people who i ever hear not wanting Lumias are the minority(5 percent) who brought the Ativ and the minority who are buying the one. When people are discussing new windows phones, they are looking for NEW LUMIAS.

Not everyone wants a Lumia, this is true...Most people do :)
but i am glad that HTC Has managed to come out with something for those who are always going on and on about Nokia's dominance and how it is bad for the platform(despite the fact said dominance got WP where it is now) :)

Also I never said that there was anything wrong with the UI. I own Windows Phone, remember :) If i hated the UI, i wouldn't have one lol.
I am speaking from the perspective of Android users.

They Hate the UI, the Fonts, The tiles, the this and that about WIndows Phone. They want Nokia hardware like the 1020 but with Android on it.
IOS people are less annoying when it comes to the UI but that's the main complaint i hear about the OS from many of my android friends who are diehard fanatics(the types that own GS5, One M8 and LG g3 as soon as they come out....)as well as various blogs.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Wow, getting heated in here. I love my Icon, awesome camera and Qi. However, i do believe the M8 is a better phone. SD card support, longer battery life, more available cases and addons are huge when it comes to smartphones. Camera? not so much, just as long as it gets the job done.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

1. They hate the UI
2. The lack of apps
3. The lack of apps
4. The lack of apps

5. The lack of apps.

I'll reference you here,and moderators please understand that this needs to be said.

The facts are simply that you have gotten your britches in a bunch because this phone had Android on it first. You have said this over and over by calling it a hand me down or a rehashed phone.You're incessant whining about has become childish and argumentative. You have shown contempt for those who want this phone by stating that you want to be able to laugh at the HTC owners while most people who have actually used this phone for a while know that it can actually do this platform well,and more than any Nokia phone has been able to.

You have been overly critical of exactly what the camera on this phone was designed to do,and exactly what it is capable of doing for those who venture past the automatic controls on it,even though there are several threads not only on our sister site Android Central,but also over at XDA forum.

You have erroneously stated that this phone brings nothing new to the platform,when indeed it is painfully obvious that having true front facing stereo speakers and the duo camera are fresh and new to it.

You continue to interject your hatred for this phone on every thread it's discussed,and has gone far beyond just voicing your opinion of it. You enjoy bashing this phone,even before it is available to all here...

For the record,I am tired of this childish behavior of yours,and I sincerely hope that the moderators look back at everything you have said about this phone on every thread you have posted on,this way they can see exactly what you are attempting to do every time you post about it and how you are saying it.

How HTC has done things before is irrelevant because no manufacturers have ever had 2 exact flagship phones running both WP 8.1 and Android before...This is a first...and those of us that aren't throwing hissy fits about this phone having Android first understands the significance of this,and what it means to the platform.

Those of us who understands cameras know full well to take better pictures from any device,means utilizing the manual mode and taking the appropriate measures for what lighting is present. There's more to taking great pictures than just pointing and shooting..and that there are better cameras available for doing this.

Every review of this phone is positive on both WP and especially on Android,and everyone knows it won't save WP by itself,but what it has done and will continue to do is bring people who like what it offers to the platform,some based on how great a review it's received as a Android phone,others because of the phone specs,and others just for it's looks...and this is far more than any other WP including Nokia's has been able to do.

You need to stop putting this phone and company down because you are not only being untruthful,but disruptive on the Windows HTC m8 forum. In doing so,your intentionally hurting the platform and I hope the moderators look back at everything and take the high road about it.

If they feel I am in error then make the ignore feature available on the mobile apps..so that I can utilize it.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I was just testing out my buddies M8 camera (Android model) and you know what, sure its not a top tier camera but its actually GOOD...not great but GOOD. Man, the exaggeration of people and their overkill of this phones camera inability is so misleading. Originally i was concerned about the camera, but after testing it i would pick up an M8 Windows easily.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

So let me get this straight then, you're blaming HTC for not having the resources to have a dedicated team for their products? Especially the ones that don't sell well? I think you're placing too much faith in HTC. They're not Nokia, who got paid $1 billion dollars, and thus could cover it, and they're not Samsung who has billions to just do whatever it wants. HTC is relatively very small compared to the rest of their market. They've just been recently kicked out of the top 10 OEMs. They've been losing money for a while and only got back on their feet with the M8. Blaming HTC is silly IMHO. Plus, even with their small market share, they still get all of the updates that Lumia owners get, just not all of the firmware features. HTC has consistently been one of the first OEMs to push out a GDR while Nokia has always lagged behind. Or were you referring to the Developer Preview in which we got the updates right after they RTM'd and since Microsoft and HTC couldn't fix a major bug within 5 days, that must obviously mean terrible support right?

and when was HTC suppose to make this phone? and what OS were they suppose to put on it in March? They couldn't put WP8 on it because there's no camera button, no capacitive keys, and there would be no interactive case support. They were limited by the OS and that's no one's fault, but Microsoft. Oh, but then you would blame them for "skipping all of the important features of the Android version". Really, there just doesn't seem to be any pleasing you unless it's a Lumia. You've actually gone as far as to somehow say you would prefer the 730 to the One. That boggles my mind, really. What advantage would there be? The 730 will have a worse camera, way worse resolution, still no capacitive keys, no camera button, worse accessories. What would cause you to want that over the HTC One? If you're telling the truth and "the HTC has beautiful hardware" then looks wouldn't matter either. To me, the fact that you explicitatly stated on the main site that "still, I would prefer the Lumia 730 to the HTC One lol" is the most telling point. It's just getting harder and harder to believe what you say is genuine.

Lack of availability of hardware has consistently been a major downside of the Windows Phone experience. Say you wanted a high-end Windows Phone within the past year. What could you get? The Lumia 920 was first released to carriers November 2012, or almost 2 years ago. It's successor first went on sale on July 2014. That's a 21-month span where no new high-end phones were announced. TWENTY. ONE. MONTHS. Assuming a new phone comes out once a year, at roughly the same time, that means that people were waiting 9 months for an upgraded model, Actually, since you're saying that the M8 isn't that big of a deal since the M9 is coming out in about 6 months, we could increase that time to 15 months. I mean, if the 930 came out at a reasonable time, people could just wait.

"Eh, the 920 is kinda old now, I'll just wait for the 930. Hopefully it'll come out in a few months"
*many months go by*
"Well, I haven't heard anything about a new high-end Windows Phone. I'll just get a Galaxy.

Now, if Microsoft hadn't been so slow with updates and got HTC on the bandwagon at launch of the M8, then a) people wanting a high-end Windows phone could've puchased one and b) Windows Phone could've eaten into some of HTC's Android sales. Instead, many people probably just assumed that a successor was never coming out and went for an Android instead.

The problem with Windows Phone is not the fact people dont have choice(They have plenty of Lumias to choose from and Most people on Android are always wanted a High-end lumia).

This is almost a straight up lie. What options at the high-end have we had? We've had 1 choice for a phablet, and one for a regular phone. I follow WPCentral daily, and unless there's some other OEM that's been releasing high-end Windows Phones, then we have not had a "choice" we've had Nokia, Nokia and more Nokia. So let's get real for a second. A lot of people on the website have purchased Nokia because there was literally nothing else to buy. It was either Nokia or leave. I have seen literally hundreds of posts saying "I wish we had 'X' phone, but there's no Windows Phone option".

Many, many , many, MANY reviewers out there will disagree with you. The common theme among most reviews is that this is the nicest Windows Phone available. Many reviewers (where most people go to read about these phones) have applauded the hardware. In the past, reviewers have hated Nokia's phones because of reasons like "too thick, too heavy, feels blocky, etc..." but this phone is the first one to actually get a mostly positive review from the major websites.

Obviously HTC won't single-handedly save Windows Phone. Just like Nokia didn't. Just like Sony won't. Just like LG won't. Just like Samsung can't single-handedly push Android. Obvioulsy, by themselves, there isn't a single OEM to save WP, but a combination of a lot of OEMs hitting the high-end and low-end can, and that's what Microsoft needs. If you can't see that, then I can't help you.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
[Warn]Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.[/warn]

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I was just testing out my buddies M8 camera (Android model) and you know what, sure its not a top tier camera but its actually GOOD...not great but GOOD. Man, the exaggeration of people and their overkill of this phones camera inability is so misleading. Originally i was concerned about the camera, but after testing it i would pick up an M8 Windows easily.

The people claiming fail for the M8's camera clearly never used a Galaxy Nexus. That is the benchmark for bad. Nothing came close to how bad it was, even 1-2 years before it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs