Why, why, why the exclusivity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony112409p

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I understand that business is business and that Verizon likely paid HTC a ton of money for this deal (and/or vice-versa...not too sure how these things work), but one of the main things that now defines Windows Phone is the fact that many of its devices are carrier exclusives. Many are wondering why WP is not doing too well on the market... well I think that this obsession with exclusivity might be one of the problems. There are many factors, but this is definitely one of them. I guess, though, if it has to be exclusive then it is good for Microsoft that it is with Verizon, a carrier which has a good history with Windows Phones. So in that sense I guess this exclusivity can be considered a good thing, especially since this phone's selling/movement is likely going to be closely watched by all major smartphone makers to determine once and for all whether they should seriously dip their toes into WP8. Still, though, might it have been better if they released to at least one more carrier? Or am I misunderstanding entirely?

Anthony112409p

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Way to miss the point of entire post. That particular point wasn't even germane to my main question.

Still, though, I didn't mean from a customer service point of view, but rather from a sales point of view. I wouldn't be surprised if it is best on Verizon for the high end, simply because they have received some of WP's best phones. And now with yet another Verizon exclusive, it appears they also believe it will sell well on Verizon.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Verizon didn't pay for the exclusive, at least not directly. They made a volume guarantee and are going to be marketing the phone. Microsoft is too.

It is no coincidence that the One M8 for Windows is being launched in time for the upcoming NFL season. Microsoft and Verizon are big NFL partners and will be pushing advertising throughout the season, including featuring the NFL Mobile app on this phone while clearly showing it is running Windows Phone.

This is also being coupled with a larger push at Verizon to get employees better educated on Windows Phone. I've heard that most retail employees are going to be required to use a Windows Phone and spend time with them. All Windows Phone devices must be on display. A friend that works at VZW in the corporate sales side has said that Microsoft's heft with the NFL got them both to put some pressure on VZW to promote Windows Phone. The NFL is going to be doing a lot of Windows Phone and Surface placement as well - and they greatly value their partnership with Microsoft.

So why the exclusivity? Because HTC doesn't have the huge marketing budget that Samsung does and they have been offered a lot of free marketing by Microsoft and Verizon for a phone they already built. It also shows Microsoft will support other OEMs. I expect we will see the new LG coming soon too - and I think it may be the LG G3 For Windows. The only one who may keep doing specific WP phones instead of just using their Android handset is Samsung and they have a new Windows Phone coming that is pretty much the S5. I've heard that Verizon will stock the Icon, The One for Windows, the LG WP phone, the new Samsung WP, and the next 8xx series for the Fall (though the 8xx will get a name, like the Icon did). They also may be getting a version of a lower end WP Nokia that has a CDMA radio. Microsoft is giving them some direct cross promotion in ads, so part of the payment for that is stocking more WP, educating their employees with MS' help, and advertising it more in store.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't seem to understand NO ONE does exclusives with an important phone anymore! The iPhones and Galaxies don't do it. My family and I want a replacement to our 920's, and the 1520 is too damn big. We can't switch to Verizon. And I got my whole family to switch to WP, and because of crappy exclusives, they are all switching back to IOS. I will probably switch to Android.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Anthony112409p

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't seem to understand NO ONE does exclusives with an important phone anymore! The iPhones and Galaxies don't do it. My family and I want a replacement to our 920's, and the 1520 is too damn big. We can't switch to Verizon. And I got my whole family to switch to WP, and because of crappy exclusives, they are all switching back to IOS. I will probably switch to Android.

Don't do it man! Just hang on a little while longer, at least until the year is out and all major smartphone announcements have been made. I have a feeling that there will be good things to come.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Way to miss the point of entire post. That particular point wasn't even germane to my main question.

Still, though, I didn't mean from a customer service point of view, but rather from a sales point of view. I wouldn't be surprised if it is best on Verizon for the high end, simply because they have received some of WP's best phones. And now with yet another Verizon exclusive, it appears they also believe it will sell well on Verizon.

Actually, its entirely relevant. No matter what exclusivity deal is struck or how much "support" is shown by carrying devices if retail sales are turning people away at the point of sale (and have been for years) I don't see how that shows the carrier is supporting WP. As in real, "why aren't we doing more to sell WP and promotion" support. At the end of the day, who runs the compamy, the CEO and execs making deals to carry handsets or the sales rep in the shop? Leaders should lead, there's no excuse for not knowing what goes on in their own stores.

We've heard the same "support" story before about Verizon for the 8x and that didn't pan out, just saying on past form NO carrier has shown real support for the platform.

digitalicecream

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Well sure, but that just means you're not a die hard Windows Phone guy. It just isn't that big of a deal. Also, you can't blame Microsoft for Verizon and HTC, NFL, and Microsoft working together to launch this.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Actually, its entirely relevant. No matter what exclusivity deal is struck or how much "support" is shown by carrying devices if retail sales are turning people away at the point of sale (and have been for years) I don't see how that shows the carrier is supporting WP. As in real, "why aren't we doing more to sell WP and promotion" support. At the end of the day, who runs the compamy, the CEO and execs making deals to carry handsets or the sales rep in the shop? Leaders should lead, there's no excuse for not knowing what goes on in their own stores.

We've heard the same "support" story before about Verizon for the 8x and that didn't pan out, just saying on past form NO carrier has shown real support for the platform.

We have and I've heard Verizon support stories in the past, but this one has more teeth. For one, the One for Windows carries incentives when it gets moved, so sales people have a financial reason to do so. They also may be getting extra compensation for training on it now.

This is very different from when the 8X launched. The execs like WP, but they've had trouble getting the rest of the company in line. Remember that VZW no longer has a large interest controlled by Vodaphone. This VZW isn't the same as it was even a year ago.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't do it man! Just hang on a little while longer, at least until the year is out and all major smartphone announcements have been made. I have a feeling that there will be good things to come.

That's what everyone has been saying since MWC. I've been waiting before MWC, and I'm sick of playing the "Waiting Game"? (Trademarked by Microsoft and Nokia). You realize all we do all WP is keep waiting, right?

anon(7937399)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Carrier Exclusives:

I’ve been thinking about this. So if I’m on AT&T, for instance, I should have a phone that has CDMA support and T-Mobile 1700 MHz AWS, even though I’ll never be able to use either technology/band? It’s a lot easier not to have carrier exclusives in the rest of the world, to be sure, but in the US, it’s just going to be tough to do.

It took a long time for Verizon to get the iPhone, because Apple had to make and test a version of the iPhone that HAD CDMA support. Same for T-Mobile and their 1700 MHz AWS band.

So that means that HTC would have to make at least FOUR different versions of the HTC One (M8) for Windows to satisfy the "no carrier exclusives" crowd. One for AT&T, one for Verizon and Sprint, one for T-Mobile, and one for the rest of the world. Smart.

So how do you get all of the US carriers to agree on one phone technology and set of bands? For instance, if the US were to go to GSM-only, we'd lose a lot of the deep rural coverage that only Verizon has. I switched to Verizon from T-Mobile because of that deep rural coverage.

Last edited:

Anthony112409p

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Carrier Exclusives:

I’ve been thinking about this. So if I’m on AT&T, for instance, I should have a phone that has CDMA support and T-Mobile 1700 MHz AWS, even though I’ll never be able to use either technology/band? It’s a lot easier not to have carrier exclusives in the rest of the world, to be sure, but in the US, it’s just going to be tough to do.

It took a long time for Verizon to get the iPhone, because Apple had to make and test a version of the iPhone that HAD CDMA support. Same for T-Mobile and their 1700 MHz AWS band.

So that means that HTC would have to make at least FOUR different versions of the HTC One (M8) for Windows to satisfy the "no carrier exclusives" crowd. One for AT&T, one for Verizon and Sprint, one for T-Mobile, and one for the rest of the world. Smart.

So how do you get all of the US carriers to agree on one phone technology and set of bands? For instance, if the US were to go to GSM-only, we'd lose a lot of the deep rural coverage that only Verizon has. I switched to Verizon from T-Mobile because of that deep rural coverage.

Eh, they can leave Sprint out of it! :) I'm just on T-Mobile and our selection of Windows Phones is limited to the 525 and the 635. Not exactly high end :)

Anthony112409p

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site

An interesting thought. However, our carriers love their uniqueness and there's almost no way that they will put the desires of the consumer over their chance to make a quick buck. To make a phone work for multiple carriers requires so many bands it's almost ridiculous. It would be nice if we could simplify things a little, but unfortunately that's likely never going to happen.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
In England we have the same problem but there is a way round it. Personally the 1520 could only be bought on certain networks. However I found an online shop where I can buy it on a buy now pay 12 months later and its sim unlocked. Wondering if there is a similar online shop like that for you guys so you don't miss out

Tyrion L

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
How long is this exclusivity arrangement expected to last for? In other words, when might Sprint, AT&T or T-Mobile reasonably be expected to start selling this phone?

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

I'm with you on that. Sprint's future with WP looks even worse, so comes upgrade time.......... I dunno.

To top it off, my Ford Edge that runs MS MyFord Touch, doesn't even work well with my phone which is one of the main reasons I got a WP! iPhones and Androids actually work better! Wtf!!

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
How long is this exclusivity arrangement expected to last for? In other words, when might Sprint, AT&T or T-Mobile reasonably be expected to start selling this phone?

Don't know. I've heard that it will be tied into advertising during NFL games, so it may last the NFL season. I don't know if that's just the regular season or if it'll just last the first part of the season.

Guesswork here, but I would guess it will last at least three months. I could see there being a potential change around Black Friday. I wouldn't be surprised to see another big WP phone by then, so the One may not be exclusive anymore.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you on that. Sprint's future with WP looks even worse, so comes upgrade time.......... I dunno.

To top it off, my Ford Edge that runs MS MyFord Touch, doesn't even work well with my phone which is one of the main reasons I got a WP! iPhones and Androids actually work better! Wtf!!

I heard Sync only works well with IOS and Android, like you said. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786