02-03-2017 04:01 AM
150 1234 ...
tools
    Overall I like it better than my Icon.
    unstoppablekem and cbreze like this.
    08-21-2014 12:51 AM
    For those who have the M8, how do you like the onscreen softkeys? I'm concerned that the familiar "three-dots" menu button is too close to the Search button, is it easy to trigger that accidentally?
    08-21-2014 02:40 AM
    This thread should be a sticky!
    08-21-2014 05:17 AM
    mwdavis84, make sure you read my post before dropping $600 on a phone without MMS compatibility with your T-mobile sim card
    Was worried about that - they did the same with the Verizon HTC 8x. No MMS settings and wifi hotspot didn't work.
    08-21-2014 06:49 AM
    For those who have the M8, how do you like the onscreen softkeys? I'm concerned that the familiar "three-dots" menu button is too close to the Search button, is it easy to trigger that accidentally?
    Still getting use to it, but it is not bad at all. Actually might be better. I find that I am accidently hitting the search key less often then I did with than before.
    Bora777 and staticK78 like this.
    08-21-2014 07:23 AM
    Bora77 I have only done that once. For the most part they aren't even in the way.
    Bora777 and jfdavis17 like this.
    08-21-2014 07:40 AM
    I received mine yesterday after ordering it on Tuesday. I currently have an Icon (running 8.1 DP) and was hoping for the HTC One M8 for Windows to be a replacement for it.

Overall, the M8 is a very nicely built device - not a bad phone at all. The M8 is more thin than the Icon and feels much better to hold. The SD card slot is a big plus if you have a lot of files. The front facing speakers sound great as well - big difference when listening next to the Icon. I also like the "double tap to wake" feature on the M8. The IR blaster is a nice bonus as well.

In the end, though, I prefer my Icon and will be keeping it. Below, are my reasons why (and my opinion only, based on side by side usage of the two devices).

1. The M8 lacks wireless charging (something I've grown used to with the Icon).
    2. The screen on the Icon looks better to me. The blacks look blacker, the whites look whiter, and it "pops" and seems more detailed. The screen on the M8 looks a bit faded and "washed out" when compared side by side to the Icon.
    3. Viewing angles on the Icon are better (to me)...as is visibility outdoors.
    5. Even though they are both have "five inch" screens - the actual screen real estate is greater on the Icon. This is in part due to the on screen buttons of the M8 - but the Icon screen also appears wider (tiles on the home screen look bigger when compared side by side to the M8).
    6. The M8 does not have call/sms blocking ability (something I like to have available). It is not available even through sys app pusher.
    7. Though I don't take many photos with my phone - I prefer the way photos look coming off of the Icon vs. coming off of the M8 (loaded on to my iMac).

Anyway - those are my thoughts on the HTC One M8. A very nice phone with many good features...just not enough for me to switch from my Icon. Hope this was helpful

UPDATE (6 hours later): Well...before packing up the HTC One M8 for return...

I took another close look at it, AGAIN weighed the pros/cons about the M8 and my Icon and...changed my mind! I have decided to keep the M8 after all. No it doesn't have the camera of my Icon, nor the call/sms blocker, or screen "pop" - but the build quality and how this phone feels in my hand is just amazing (compared to how the Icon looks/feels - personal opinion only).

Needless to say it was a tough decision, as BOTH of these devices have great positive qualities. Bottom line is - you really can't go wrong with either device.

P.S. - The Icon has been shipped back - so there's no turning back now!
    Last edited by rheresniak; 08-21-2014 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Update
    08-21-2014 10:17 AM
    Overall I like it better than my Icon.
    This is what I'm wondering, if I'll like it better. Probably going to give it a try today. Always have the return option if it just doesn't seem to fit. I'm doubting that will happen

Still getting use to it, but it is not bad at all. Actually might be better. I find that I am accidently hitting the search key less often then I did with than before.
    I was hitting the search key a lot on my icon, drove me buggy. This sounds like it might be better.
    08-21-2014 10:55 AM
    The hardware on this thing is incredible. I'm not sure how I am going to manage switching between the M8 and my Icon though.
    08-21-2014 10:58 AM
    Also, for those trying to get MMS working, you could potentially try the previous proxy/workarounds that allowed for Nokia Apps to be installed, and download Nokia Access Point. I also think there is an HTC APN settings app in the store somewhere. Will try to find it and let you know
    Jnelson071 likes this.
    08-21-2014 11:20 AM
    I picked one up yesterday, coming from an 1020 on ATT. I have two weeks to play with the HTC till I have to make the big switch. After educating the Verizon guy about windows phone and the HTC launch, he was able to find me one. Let me just say that these people are clueless from my experience, in any case here are my thoughts. I like the feel, screen, and expandable storage. I love the dot case because I can launch Cortana with one finger swipe in the car. I have ford sync, launching Cortana turns on the Bluetooth system and allows me to send a text via voice threw my car. On my 1020 I would have to unlock, then hold down search to get her going. This is faster and safer and I can just swipe the phone as I drive. The phone is fast, and the battery seems good, but playing with it all day as a new phone its hard to tell. The speakers rock, and it feels nice in the hand. There is no way the camera will keep up with my 1020, but to be honest most of my pics are just fun shots with friends. If I plan to do real photography stuff I can always take my 1020 with me. I am going to make the full switch off ATT on Monday and keep the HTC.
    08-21-2014 11:47 AM
    I am planning to purchase either the icon or the One to replace my 8x. My #1 complaint is that I can't view my 8x screen outdoors. Which phone do you guys think has the better screen for outdoor usage?
    08-21-2014 12:01 PM
    Bought One earlier today slipped my T-mobile sim in and everything worked fine until I tried sending a pic to my girlfriend. I received a msg telling me that the service was not available and to contact my service provider. upon a little investigating I discovered that there is no field under APN settings for MMS. Contacted T-mobile as well as HTC concerning the matter but neither could solve the mystery. Definitly a Verizon sabotage.
    What speeds were you getting with T-Mobile?
    08-21-2014 01:18 PM
    I am planning to purchase either the icon or the One to replace my 8x. My #1 complaint is that I can't view my 8x screen outdoors. Which phone do you guys think has the better screen for outdoor usage?
    The One M8 has one of the brightest screens of any phone. Should be much brighter than the 930, although I'm not sure the outdoor brightness boost kicked in for gsm arena's 930 measurement: Nokia Lumia 930 review: Iconic once again - page 3 - GSMArena.com

I can confirm that the One M8 is easily readable outdoors. I have heard that the 930 is fine outdoors too though, so probably either is fine. Both will be a lot better than the 8X.
    robm15 likes this.
    08-21-2014 01:53 PM
    I picked one up yesterday, coming from an 1020 on ATT. I have two weeks to play with the HTC till I have to make the big switch. After educating the Verizon guy about windows phone and the HTC launch, he was able to find me one. Let me just say that these people are clueless from my experience, in any case here are my thoughts. I like the feel, screen, and expandable storage. I love the dot case because I can launch Cortana with one finger swipe in the car. I have ford sync, launching Cortana turns on the Bluetooth system and allows me to send a text via voice threw my car. On my 1020 I would have to unlock, then hold down search to get her going. This is faster and safer and I can just swipe the phone as I drive. The phone is fast, and the battery seems good, but playing with it all day as a new phone its hard to tell. The speakers rock, and it feels nice in the hand. There is no way the camera will keep up with my 1020, but to be honest most of my pics are just fun shots with friends. If I plan to do real photography stuff I can always take my 1020 with me. I am going to make the full switch off ATT on Monday and keep the HTC.

Can you do the gestures for Cortana without the dot view case, or can only tap to turn on the phone?
    08-21-2014 04:04 PM
    What speeds were you getting with T-Mobile?
    Actually, the phone stays on LTE 85% of the time. I've only seen edge in spotty areas where my 1520 and 925 (T-mobile) get spotty service as well. Also this phone is BLAZING fast!!! Leaves the others in the dust. Sadly I won't have it long as my girlfriend has fallen in love with it.
    08-21-2014 04:46 PM
    Can you do the gestures for Cortana without the dot view case, or can only tap to turn on the phone?
    got mine a couple hours ago. tap to turn on the phone works, but cortana swiping to turn on is a dot case feature. checked out that dot case. not for me at all. definitely an acquired taste preference thing.
    08-21-2014 06:07 PM
    NO, gestures for Cortana only work with the dot view case. As for tap to turn on, it works with or without the case.
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    08-21-2014 06:19 PM
    got mine a couple hours ago. tap to turn on the phone works, but cortana swiping to turn on is a dot case feature. checked out that dot case. not for me at all. definitely an acquired taste preference thing.

Yeah, I heard the dot case makes it hard to take photos with and to hold the phone with the flap pushed back.
    anon(678374) likes this.
    08-21-2014 06:24 PM
    Got mine earlier today and love it so far, of course usually is the way with new devices. As I was playing around with it I noticed it seemed something was missing. Oh yeah, the damn laggy wake up problem was gone. SWEET! Full wifi bars. Sweet again. I'm really liking the rounded corners unlike the icon's square sharp edge corners. Gives it a much smoother, aesthetically pleasing look over all. The bottom on screen buttons had me a tad concerned about originally turned out to be a non issue 5 minutes into the set up. So easy to lower the bar and bring it back anytime.
    It got warm while I was setting it up and syncing all my stuff, but while it came with a 52% charge on the battery in about four hours of constant setting up and playing while listening to pandora it dropped to 18% and I put it on the charger. I thought that wasn't to bad considering what I was asking of it and being warm most of that time due to all the work it was doing. I'm hoping this bodes well for future battery usage. My icon rarely lasted a day.
    ​ Much more to do with it, but it's looking good, happy to have it so far and my expectations are high for keeping it. Once I see the pictures and have time to make some camera adjustments I'll know for sure. If I'm still happy with it at that point I may sell the icon or not. ciao

Yeah, I heard the dot case makes it hard to take photos with and to hold the phone with the flap pushed back.
    Hard to type also. To me the dot case just looks to clumsy besides covering up an otherwise good looking piece of tech.
    Last edited by cbreze; 08-21-2014 at 07:31 PM.
    08-21-2014 07:18 PM
    It blinks orange when your battery is critically low
    So it has a notification LED, sort of?
    08-21-2014 09:58 PM
    Got mine earlier today and love it so far, of course usually is the way with new devices. As I was playing around with it I noticed it seemed something was missing. Oh yeah, the damn laggy wake up problem was gone. SWEET! Full wifi bars. Sweet again. I'm really liking the rounded corners unlike the icon's square sharp edge corners. Gives it a much smoother, aesthetically pleasing look over all. The bottom on screen buttons had me a tad concerned about originally turned out to be a non issue 5 minutes into the set up. So easy to lower the bar and bring it back anytime.
    It got warm while I was setting it up and syncing all my stuff, but while it came with a 52% charge on the battery in about four hours of constant setting up and playing while listening to pandora it dropped to 18% and I put it on the charger. I thought that wasn't to bad considering what I was asking of it and being warm most of that time due to all the work it was doing. I'm hoping this bodes well for future battery usage. My icon rarely lasted a day.
    ​ Much more to do with it, but it's looking good, happy to have it so far and my expectations are high for keeping it. Once I see the pictures and have time to make some camera adjustments I'll know for sure. If I'm still happy with it at that point I may sell the icon or not. ciao

Hard to type also. To me the dot case just looks to clumsy besides covering up an otherwise good looking piece of tech.
    Yeah, the 928 and Icon/930 have very sharp edges, and heavy and thick. The M8 WP seems thin and light for a phone made of 90% metal, and comfortable to use, without the Dot Case of course. ;)
    08-21-2014 09:59 PM
    nice screen shots would be cool i kinda want a clear pic of the nav bar for an idea i have and also to see what unique settings and enhancements HTC made :P
    08-21-2014 10:04 PM
    The icon is better outside. Has clearblack, a polarized layer that blocks glare and also has a high contrast mode in direct sunlight.
    robm15 likes this.
    08-21-2014 10:06 PM
    OK got mine this afternoon
    All I can say is it's different - There are pro's & cons for both the icon (current phone) & m8
    Wake from sleep the m8 wins the icons lag to wake was very irritating for me plus the double tap to wake is nice
    Screens (both on medium brightness) the icon has a little better color pop but out doors I'd have to turn brightness up the m8 screen is more usable under all light conditions without adjusting brightness
    Build goes to the m8 it just feels good in the hand - I never liked the icons block shape but they are both solid built phones
    Sound in phone calls, media, speakerphone goes to the m8 nuff said
    M8 doesn't work with nokia/ here apps this isn't a problem for me but if your big into those apps its probably a deal breaker
    I like the camera and picture quality on the m8 (Ive used it indoor out doors & low light & I don't know why there are so many bad reviews about it) its faster to start faster taking pics than the icon & I like the editing/effects. The icon has a better camera in general its better if you crop or enlarge your pics (I don't) but needing separate apps for effects panorama etc always seemed odd to me.
    I haven't made up my mind about the software action bar yet with it taking up screen real estate its nice to be able to hide it but then having to mess with it all the time bug me a little right now
    The m8 in general is noticeably faster than the icon
    I like the power button on top I was always hitting the volume on the icon instead of power
    The notification led being there & not working is aggravating but i've learned to live without it
    So bottom line I can see personal preference / use being a big influence in which phone YOU find to be better but as for me as of right now I think I'll be keeping the m8 if anything changes in the next 13 days I'll let you know
    Edit 1 my mistake some of the here apps still work (maps, drive) just camera apps don't all nokia apps were grayed out when I did restore so I assumed ...
    The small arrows showing network activity were omitted on the m8 a small but useful thing for me hop they bring them back
    Not one stuck loading screen eating battery or reboot + battery life has been excellent - Looking more & more like its a keeper
    Last edited by tlgem; 08-25-2014 at 06:11 PM. Reason: added info
    snowmutt and maevinj like this.
    08-21-2014 10:30 PM
150 1234 ...