Do you have the M8 for WP tell us what you think!

Jimmie Lee

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I was in a Walmart store this past Saturday and a guy in the electronics section of the store had an HTC M7 or M8 and he let me hold it. It looked just like the HTC M8 For Windows (but it wasn’t), yet it looked really cheap looking to me. It wasn’t all one color and had white sections on its body that just didn’t look right to me. I was convinced, I would be keeping my Icon. However, the next day (Sunday), I was out and about and decided to go to a Verizon location to take a look at the phone in person. I wanted to, physically, see it and hold it. I stayed over 30 minutes looking at it and trying to make up my mind about whether or not to get it.

I, probably, stayed an hour just looking at the M8 For Windows. I looked at it, held it, played with it, and constantly compared it to my Icon. I tried imagining myself with this phone and not using the Icon. I wanted to be sure that I wanted to make the switch to the HTC. When you’re used to something it can be difficult to let go. Well, after time kept creeping by, I decided to get the HTC M8 For Windows. Little did I know, they would take my Icon, but I am on the Verizon Edge, so taking it made sense since it was not fully paid for.

Currently, I am still in my trial 14 day period and it looks like, I will be keeping this phone. It is, after all, a Windows phone. I like the thin, light feel of the M8. The Icon was fine for me and I liked that it was squared, but compared to the M8, the M8 is more comfortable to hold and I like that. Coming from a thicker phone to a thinner one is nice. The Icon's screen appears nicer looking, beautiful, and just exquisite to behold, IMHO, but the HTC M8 For Windows is not bad to look at either. It's, definitely, not ugly. Build wise, it looks nothing like the Walmart guy’s phone. It looks way better! I loved, subtly, showing off my Icons look and I will do the same with this phone. I don’t like the one color option, but it not that big of a deal for me. The navigation seems a bit faster on this phone than on the Icon as well. I do think that the Icon’s camera is better, but I’m not that big on taking photos, so I’m sure that won’t be an issue for me.

Of course, I finally get the 8.1 update and all that comes with it. That is what I was looking forward to most. I always love rearranging my phone’s look. It’s one of the reasons I like Windows phones. Another great feature are the HTC M8 For Windows’ two speakers. Music sounds great on this phone. Normally, I wouldn’t put a bunch of music on my phone, since I have Zunes, but I plan on adding music to it. It’s also nice to have an SD card slot so I can add things to it, instead of to my phone. Oh! There's also no internal Wifi charging, but I'm not that lazy to hook it up. LOL. The batter life seems to much longer than the Icon's too. I will also mention that I don’t see how you can buy or browse music in the store, like I could on the Icon, since the store looks different. Maybe, that feature is not there. Or, I have not figure it out yet.

Thus far, however, I have no complaints and have had no issues with operation. I’m glad I took the step to get it. Of course, my 14 days are not up yet, but I’m, likely, to keep the phone. The only downside to this decision was I lost most of my photos since they were not backed up, but, again, I didn’t cry over that. I will just back them up from now on. I don’t post on here much, so I hope that you enjoyed my lengthy post here. Also, check out my latest start screen of my favorite singer. Seven of her albums are being remastered, reissued, and expanded in December and this cover was done in celebration of those releases. Of course, I will, likely, change it before December, but....:) Have a great rest of the day!!

My Donna Summer "Another Place And Time" Start Screen
wp_ss_20140909_0004.jpg

Last edited:

csiguy1

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I own both the Icon and the M8, I love both of them. I would suggest either one. I have used every major smartphone on the market and have to say that Windows Phones are my favorite. My second choice is iPhone. Windows Phone just fits me better than all others. I love love Office Lens and with the update it is even better. Close sync with Office is a must for my business. I just hope MS will keep making Top Shelf phones for this platform although HTC has given us a very very nice option. Both are great so give Windows Phone a honest try, I think that you will be surprised.

DOS76

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Just got mine today have basically been setting it up for hours getting all of my stuff back up and discovering some new features Loving the HTC Sense TV (ran around the whole house setting up rooms for it) and the folder options. Phone is pretty sleek and light weight, dual speakers sound great on it too. So far everything is going great and it is definitely an improvement over my 8X (especially in the battery dept.) which I still have as a WIFI device. Looking forward to testing out the Miracast feature I have to dig out my NetGear Push to TV device I grabbed a few months ago. I live in the Philadelphia region and I saw in the very first response the poster was blasting Verizons speeds I personally am getting 13.24 down and over 2 up and I know all my pages load quickly and without any issue even streaming video over Plex so I don't know where he is posting from but Verizon's network is pretty quick in my kneck of the woods.

spoonxii

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Had mine two days now - coming from 8X (with 8.1)
Hardware is awesome, beautiful! Getting used to the size... it feels huge compared to the 8X but I am loving the way it feels in your hand. I am a single hand user and was worried but with tap to wake and Touch lock app (free) to turn off I will never reach for the power button again. Although the action center is a real stretch with your thumb! The non physical buttons (back, home, search) took about two seconds to get used to and no more accidental search hits...woot! Camera is an up grade to 8X but that wasn't hard.... some of the post focus options are cool and look really good. I do have to admit though I miss the Beats audio!
Works great with my Ford Touch sync - call Cortana works great.
Oh yeah... Battery kicks ***!

Last edited:

timmorris83

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Have had the phone for about 2 weeks now. I will give you a quick overview, mostly bullet points of what I like and what the phone is missing/not working as hoped.
LIKE:
1) - Apps are snappy, things load really quick compared to L925 and L635
2) - Screen size/picture in relation to thinness of phone
3) - Dot View. I actually like it. Some do not. I wouldn't spend the $45 for it, it can be found for $25. There are some tricks to it, like to get Cortana to work, double tap to turn off the dot view, then swipe to wake up Cortanan. Works every time.
4) - SD card slot
5) -Camera speed. Camera is not as good as Lumia, but love how there is no delay or processing after taking photo. The UFocus feature is pretty neat.
Don't Like:
1) - No blocking calls (HTC problem)
2) - Bluetooth. Had some minor issues with mine connecting and staying connected, but that was during the first week
3) - Project my screen still doesn't work. This phone with Android connects to my TV just fine. Cannot get Windows phone to connect (also a problem with my L635)
4) - No sensor hub (sensorcore). I miss this feature that was on the L635. I know HTC has the ability, just waiting for them to turn it on.
5) - No visual voicemail (verizon issue)
6) - Random reboots. Has happened 3-5 times. No reason. Wasn't even using the phone. Just happened to look over and see it rebooting.

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered and received mine a couple days ago from Amazon for Verizon Wireless. All I can say is that initially I was hesitant about switching back to HTC from my Nokia Lumia 822 (my first phone was an HTC Trophy). However, the HTC M8 for Windows is sleek, smooth, and performs wonderfully. I like it much better than some of my family member's Nokia Lumia Icons. The speakers are sublime and the battery easily lasts me almost two days! Eventually I'm going to post an in depth review here, but the best descriptive phrase I can use for this phone is fluid! I haven't come up with a single complaint yet! And for those of you who thought the camera was bad, it is actually very clear, effective, and fast. Now naturally the Icon is where you should go if you're planning on framing said photographs, but is your phone really the best device for such tasks if you're going to be that picky? If you're on the fence about this phone, simply do it, it's a fantastic device.

Aldomule

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I also just activated my M8 a few days ago. Amazon had it for $0 with Verizon. Last one was an HTC 8X (with 8.1) and while the phone was nice, I had hoped to get a Lumia this year. Vzn just has a terrible WP selection and worse promotions. Their Backup tool worked pretty good though, all my apps automatically installed and lots of settings seem to have found there way over to the new phone.

That said, no regrets as yet. I love the larger screen size. No issues with the phone bending in my pocket... :) (sorry, couldn't help it) I stumbled across the tap to wake, love that feature! I hate that my Qi charger for the 8x will not work with this phone. back to plugging in a charger. otherwise the hardware is very nice. I put it into an Otter box which is a shame to hide the phone, but these have a rep for slipping out of hands. I also had forgot about the free xBox dot cover and just registered for it. Thanks Windows Central Forums!

I found the HTC Sense TV app which actually works for controlling my TV and Cable box. never used this on the 8x.

I have yet to play much with the camera, the HTC camera app seems to have some interesting features.

I loaded up a few Gbs of music and am still loving the thought of adding a card for more space if 32Gbs does not cover my needs. So far the M8 is an awesome phone.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I also just activated my M8 a few days ago. Amazon had it for $0 with Verizon. Last one was an HTC 8X (with 8.1) and while the phone was nice, I had hoped to get a Lumia this year. Vzn just has a terrible WP selection and worse promotions. Their Backup tool worked pretty good though, all my apps automatically installed and lots of settings seem to have found there way over to the new phone.

That said, no regrets as yet. I love the larger screen size. No issues with the phone bending in my pocket... :) (sorry, couldn't help it) I stumbled across the tap to wake, love that feature! I hate that my Qi charger for the 8x will not work with this phone. back to plugging in a charger. otherwise the hardware is very nice. I put it into an Otter box which is a shame to hide the phone, but these have a rep for slipping out of hands. I also had forgot about the free xBox dot cover and just registered for it. Thanks Windows Central Forums!

I found the HTC Sense TV app which actually works for controlling my TV and Cable box. never used this on the 8x.

I have yet to play much with the camera, the HTC camera app seems to have some interesting features.

I loaded up a few Gbs of music and am still loving the thought of adding a card for more space if 32Gbs does not cover my needs. So far the M8 is an awesome phone.

I know your comment was in jest, but the M8 is quite the bendable fellow, even with just pocketing ;)

https://twitter.com/adrynalyne/status/520763889471201280

The nutty thing is I was able to twist it back into its original shape, until I pocketed it again. No skinny jeans either:

https://twitter.com/adrynalyne/media

HTC-M8 user

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I had a Lumia 920 before and just got this M8 for WP two weeks.
This is a great phone but I miss the Camera button. Without the button, it is not only inconvenient to activate the camera with locked screen, but also almost impossible to take a picture in a cold day with gloves on hands (or when my hands are busy or dirty so not suitable to touch the screen).
I used to take pictures with one hand, and now that became a memory.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
After using this phone for a few months I can say it is the worst Windows Phone I have had so far. My biggest issues are below:

Visual Voicemail is not included at Verizon, like on all other carriers. The voicemail notification on the Phone tile never goes away after checking and deleting voicemail. Very frustrating, I never know if I actually have a message or not.

I find myself missing all of the Lumia apps, especially the camera app. And speaking about the camera, it is pretty poor. No stabilization makes taking close ups difficult, and then not having a dedicated camera button drives me crazy.

The Dot View case was a neat idea, but it pretty much doesn't work. The last update told me I didn't buy the app and it had to be deleted. Not when my case is closed I get the top icon bar only displaying, which is useless. It never turns off either, draining the battery. I can no longer use the case because of this.

All in all, this phone was poorly conceived and executed. This is the last time I ever buy a non Lumia device. Good thing it is my work phone and I still have my Lumia 1020 on AT&T for most things.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I have had mine for over 2 months now and I love this phone, it has quirks just like any other phone nothing is perfect and unlike others I did my research before I bought it so I knew what to expect, no Lumia app's , no camera button, it is not an Icon so I did not expect the same great photo's .

But it does have great speakers, great speed , great screen, and super good looks and Windows 8.1, I am not worried about it getting all the updates if it does , great , if not, I really don't care, I bought it for what it is not for what it could be. I like the camera on this phone , it is fast and takes good pictures and that works for me, it is not like I want to frame my phone pictures, I have a nice camera for that, but it does take better pictures then some of the cameras I have owned.

It really sounds like some of you have defective phones, instead of complaining on here way don't you return them for something you like and that works, or is it that you just like complaining ? And for everyones sake do some research before you buy.

Purgatory1952

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Have had my HTC One Windows phone since Tuesday, love it, best cell phone I have ever had. I am with Verizon long term, and previous phone was the HTC Windows phone from two years back, forget the model number. I love the Windows 8.1, lots of improvements. The Verizon folks set up and transferred everything off my old phone without any problems, and installed the case for me, not all that handy myself.

Very impressed with how advanced this phone really is. Even got it controlling my Charter TV and Vizio 3D LED tv set with ease. Love the live tiles, and despite all the gripes, have been able to find every single app the I wanted and needed, all of them free ones at that.

I also don't understand all the gripes about the "crummy" camera on the HTC. For my use, it takes stunning pictures and true HD video, and its easy to use.

I am convinced, that if more people were willing to try a Windows phone, vs. running immediately to either Apple or Droids, they would fall in love with the ease of use and the logic of a Windows based phone. But that's just my opinion, and with only 2.5% of the cell phone users using Windows phones, guess our opinions are in the vast minority. So be it.

I have been using Microsoft OS's since they were first invented, so its logic is embedded in my brain and makes perfect sense.

Can tell already, I am going to enjoy this phone immensely for the next two years of my current contract.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah..... Not sure what to say. I am digging this phone, and HTC was my fourth choice behind MS, Samsung, and another OEM I do not think is even making Windows Phones.

But playing with this device slowly won me over and owning it makes me like using my phone all over again. I have it on AT&T and it is a fantastic experience. Like the effort HTC has put into it. It just feels like a premium device and it runs great.

We will see how it gets supported, but as a WP 8.1 phone it rocks the house.

Schmitty63

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Picked up my M8 last Saturday and love it! This is my second generation Windows phone as I had the Nokia 822 for past two years. Even though I had just received the Denim update on my Nokia, I made the move. I looked at the Icon, but just couldn't get comfortable with the boxy feel. This phone feels so much better in my hand and definitely a big jump up from the 822. Look and feel of high end hardware. Camera is plenty good enough for my needs. Looks so good I don't want to cover it up but feel the need to protect from drops so I'm looking for a nice clear case. The Boom Sound speakers are terrific. Sitting at my office streaming Pandora and don't miss my Bluetooth speaker I have at home. Definitely happy with my choice.

salpiche

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
So here is my question, Should I get it? I have a Lumia 635 T-Mobile and I am thinking on getting the M8 next week, should I? What you think?

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I love my M8. It's the perfect size, has lots of different cases available, stellar phone performance.
WP 8.1 flies on this thing! No overheating like on some other phones. I like the on-screen buttons.
Good wi-fi connectivity, lots of internal storage, and a micro sd slot for additional storage.

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So here is my question, Should I get it? I have a Lumia 635 T-Mobile and I am thinking on getting the M8 next week, should I? What you think?

I have a 635 and an M8W on TMo. I love the 635 but I wanted something with a little more power. I really enjoy using the M8 and it's perfect for me and I have no regrets. I'm primarily a business user so the weaker camera wasn't a big deal to me, but FWIW I think it takes great pics for social media etc. If you are going to jump or use EIP then it's a no brainer unless you are dependent on WiFi calling which will not be available until sometime this year on the M8.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Finally left Sprint with their WP-hating ways. I switched to AT&T and got the HTC One (M8) for Windows. I love this phone. I switch from the HTC One (M7) w/ Android. So, the phone itself is familiar to me. It is the upgrade to the phone I had, but with the operating system I always wanted. I am very happy with my purchase.

thomas143

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Currently i am having HTC M8 and it is a good one in smartphones.I found that there are some hidden features in it.i.e. end calls with power button,double tap to wake up,change up your front i.e You can change from the default to Helvetica of LCD and camera shortcut, i.e you can quickly snap a photo with the HTC One M8 without even waking the screen.These are the some great features available in HTC M8.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12