Do you have the M8 for WP tell us what you think!

tlgem

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I know it's early but if you have the One for windows please give us your impressions - is it worth the hype - what phone did you have before etc etc

Thanks in advance for any info :cool:

mwdavis84

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Been using it since 5pm yesterday, here are my immediate opinions. For reference, I currently use the Lumia 920 and Sony Z1 Compact, and I previously owned the original HTC One M7, so nothing here is new to me per se...just the combination :)

The build quality is, as you'd expect, awesome. The phone is very well built, feels good in the hand, etc. That said, I do find it to be way too big. I am a big fan of small phones (as evidenced by my Z1 Compact ownership), but it's a sad fact that you just can't find a small sized Windows Phone that's also high quality. One handed usage of the One M8 is nearly impossible for me.

Software-wise, it's Windows Phone. You know what you're getting here. Everything works very fast and fluoid (although BlinkFeed is a bit jittery). It's faster than my Lumia 920, but I'd sure hope so, since the 920 is almost two years old. Double tap to power on works well, but it's not the same as on the Lumia - you have to pick up the phone first. So if you (like me) leave your phone out on your desk most of the day, a double tap won't open it on its own. The LED is present, but like previous HTC Windows Phones, only lights up when it's charging, not for notifications. That's unfortunate, considering the APIs seem to be there (see Glance on Lumia), and the hardware is there...why not put it together?

Haven't used the camera too much, but it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. No, it's not Lumia quality, but would you expect it to be? It's on par or better than the Z1 Compact, which is impressive given the sensor in that phone. One positive is that it's very fast. Sometimes it feels like my Lumia takes a year to focus and snap a picture - the One M8 launches, focuses, and takes a picture very quickly, which is welcome. I definitely miss a hardware camera button, but if you add the camera to the action center, you can still launch relatively quickly.

Too soon to really have an opinion on battery life, but for what it's worth, it's been off the charged since 5am and is currently at 74%. According to my ol' pal Battery Widget that's good for a burn rate of 3.7% per hour, which is reasonable. It has more remaining than my Z1 does, despite having more usage, for what its worth.

Last note, Verizon LTE is terrible. My other phone is T-Mobile, which is where I'd be switching from. I get 21 down on T-Mobile LTE, 9 down on T-Mobile HSPA+. Meanwhile, I'm getting 2.9 down on Verizon (yet to see higher than 8 anywhere). Pretty terrible. I might be better buying this full price and using it on HSPA+ on T-Mobile...

So far, I like it, but the combination of it being bigger than I'd prefer and Verizon being terrible is giving me a bit of pause. We'll see.

tlgem

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Just went to the verizon store to look at ONE & it's nice overall a thinner - smaller in the hand - phone than the Icon. It's maybe a quarter inch total longer & the speakers are really loud & clear. Screen on same brightness looks just as good as icon & is exactly the same size. Being able to hide the action bar is a nice add. Poked around in settings and as mwdavis84 said their is no way to turn on led for notifications. Also checked & looks like Here apps install & work along with sysapp pusher so the nokia stuff is there. Looks like I will be spending some money tomorrow

Carl Smith4

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Picked mine up today. My first WP since way back in the slide to open stylus jobs many moons ago. Had a blackberry for awhile then started an Android run with the Droid Incredible. I think the new OS will take some getting used to but so far I like it very much. Fast, no laggy feeling synced with my corporate account easily. Dot View case is pretty cool, stayed with a black one but almost went with a green one for kicks.

chinesepiratefood

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Last note, Verizon LTE is terrible. My other phone is T-Mobile, which is where I'd be switching from. I get 21 down on T-Mobile LTE, 9 down on T-Mobile HSPA+. Meanwhile, I'm getting 2.9 down on Verizon (yet to see higher than 8 anywhere). Pretty terrible. I might be better buying this full price and using it on HSPA+ on T-Mobile...

Must be a regional thing, I get > 30 Mbps on Verizon LTE

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else who has this can tell us about it? Us AT&T people who want this phone have to wait, so er want to hear what you think!
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

jfdavis17

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I just got mine about four hours ago. So far I like it. I am coming from the 1520, which is awesome itself. Getting use to the size of the screen is an adjustment. But otherwise it seems great, the virtual home buttons on the bottom, not sure if that is the right name for them, took me a little time to get use to, but it isn't bad. Overall I would say I am very happy with it so far.

mwdavis84

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Maybe. We're supposed to be enabled for Verizon's new LTE band (XLTE in their silly marketing), but it's just not working out that way...

eak1570

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Just played with M8 windows at Verizon store..to be honest the phone look very beautiful and build is excellent but I feel less exciting because it look like HTC one M8 android run WP8.1 Launcher..I think I gonna wait new Windows phone flagship with new design/hardware...

LuckeeeShot

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
What I love about it is the wireless radios. I get 82mbps in the house my 920 couldn't crack 50. I love the Dot case. Overall I am very pleased!

Jnelson071

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Bought One earlier today slipped my T-mobile sim in and everything worked fine until I tried sending a pic to my girlfriend. I received a msg telling me that the service was not available and to contact my service provider. upon a little investigating I discovered that there is no field under APN settings for MMS. Contacted T-mobile as well as HTC concerning the matter but neither could solve the mystery. Definitly a Verizon sabotage.

Tyler Swindell

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Is hboot on these phones? Can someone take a picture or possibly just see what it all shows when you power down the device, and hold both power and volume down? It should show an HBOOT screen. I'm curious what the CID is, and the hboot version. Also, if hboot is on there, can someone see if it has a fastboot option? Maybe the bootloader can be unlocked like the Android M8 by using the htcdev website.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)