Do you have the M8 for WP tell us what you think!

Jnelson071

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
What's app would definitely be an alternative if more of my contacts used the service. unfortunately, only thirty out of close to 400 even have it installed

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Bought One earlier today slipped my T-mobile sim in and everything worked fine until I tried sending a pic to my girlfriend. I received a msg telling me that the service was not available and to contact my service provider. upon a little investigating I discovered that there is no field under APN settings for MMS. Contacted T-mobile as well as HTC concerning the matter but neither could solve the mystery. Definitly a Verizon sabotage.
Is there no option under cellular+SIM (in Settings, if you even have that option) that you can work with? Because if you dig around in there, you can edit the MMS APN settings.

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
For those who have the M8, how do you like the onscreen softkeys? I'm concerned that the familiar "three-dots" menu button is too close to the Search button, is it easy to trigger that accidentally?

jfdavis17

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
For those who have the M8, how do you like the onscreen softkeys? I'm concerned that the familiar "three-dots" menu button is too close to the Search button, is it easy to trigger that accidentally?

Still getting use to it, but it is not bad at all. Actually might be better. I find that I am accidently hitting the search key less often then I did with than before.

rheresniak

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I received mine yesterday after ordering it on Tuesday. I currently have an Icon (running 8.1 DP) and was hoping for the HTC One M8 for Windows to be a replacement for it.

Overall, the M8 is a very nicely built device - not a bad phone at all. The M8 is more thin than the Icon and feels much better to hold. The SD card slot is a big plus if you have a lot of files. The front facing speakers sound great as well - big difference when listening next to the Icon. I also like the "double tap to wake" feature on the M8. The IR blaster is a nice bonus as well.

In the end, though, I prefer my Icon and will be keeping it. Below, are my reasons why (and my opinion only, based on side by side usage of the two devices).

1. The M8 lacks wireless charging (something I've grown used to with the Icon).
2. The screen on the Icon looks better to me. The blacks look blacker, the whites look whiter, and it "pops" and seems more detailed. The screen on the M8 looks a bit faded and "washed out" when compared side by side to the Icon.
3. Viewing angles on the Icon are better (to me)...as is visibility outdoors.
5. Even though they are both have "five inch" screens - the actual screen real estate is greater on the Icon. This is in part due to the on screen buttons of the M8 - but the Icon screen also appears wider (tiles on the home screen look bigger when compared side by side to the M8).
6. The M8 does not have call/sms blocking ability (something I like to have available). It is not available even through sys app pusher.
7. Though I don't take many photos with my phone - I prefer the way photos look coming off of the Icon vs. coming off of the M8 (loaded on to my iMac).

Anyway - those are my thoughts on the HTC One M8. A very nice phone with many good features...just not enough for me to switch from my Icon. Hope this was helpful

UPDATE (6 hours later): Well...before packing up the HTC One M8 for return...

I took another close look at it, AGAIN weighed the pros/cons about the M8 and my Icon and...changed my mind! I have decided to keep the M8 after all. No it doesn't have the camera of my Icon, nor the call/sms blocker, or screen "pop" - but the build quality and how this phone feels in my hand is just amazing (compared to how the Icon looks/feels - personal opinion only).

Needless to say it was a tough decision, as BOTH of these devices have great positive qualities. Bottom line is - you really can't go wrong with either device.

P.S. - The Icon has been shipped back - so there's no turning back now!

Last edited:

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Overall I like it better than my Icon.
This is what I'm wondering, if I'll like it better. Probably going to give it a try today. Always have the return option if it just doesn't seem to fit. I'm doubting that will happen:grin::wink:

Still getting use to it, but it is not bad at all. Actually might be better. I find that I am accidently hitting the search key less often then I did with than before.
I was hitting the search key a lot on my icon, drove me buggy. This sounds like it might be better.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
The hardware on this thing is incredible. I'm not sure how I am going to manage switching between the M8 and my Icon though.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Also, for those trying to get MMS working, you could potentially try the previous proxy/workarounds that allowed for Nokia Apps to be installed, and download Nokia Access Point. I also think there is an HTC APN settings app in the store somewhere. Will try to find it and let you know

night26

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I picked one up yesterday, coming from an 1020 on ATT. I have two weeks to play with the HTC till I have to make the big switch. After educating the Verizon guy about windows phone and the HTC launch, he was able to find me one. Let me just say that these people are clueless from my experience, in any case here are my thoughts. I like the feel, screen, and expandable storage. I love the dot case because I can launch Cortana with one finger swipe in the car. I have ford sync, launching Cortana turns on the Bluetooth system and allows me to send a text via voice threw my car. On my 1020 I would have to unlock, then hold down search to get her going. This is faster and safer and I can just swipe the phone as I drive. The phone is fast, and the battery seems good, but playing with it all day as a new phone its hard to tell. The speakers rock, and it feels nice in the hand. There is no way the camera will keep up with my 1020, but to be honest most of my pics are just fun shots with friends. If I plan to do real photography stuff I can always take my 1020 with me. I am going to make the full switch off ATT on Monday and keep the HTC.

robm15

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I am planning to purchase either the icon or the One to replace my 8x. My #1 complaint is that I can't view my 8x screen outdoors. Which phone do you guys think has the better screen for outdoor usage?

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Bought One earlier today slipped my T-mobile sim in and everything worked fine until I tried sending a pic to my girlfriend. I received a msg telling me that the service was not available and to contact my service provider. upon a little investigating I discovered that there is no field under APN settings for MMS. Contacted T-mobile as well as HTC concerning the matter but neither could solve the mystery. Definitly a Verizon sabotage.

What speeds were you getting with T-Mobile?

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I am planning to purchase either the icon or the One to replace my 8x. My #1 complaint is that I can't view my 8x screen outdoors. Which phone do you guys think has the better screen for outdoor usage?

The One M8 has one of the brightest screens of any phone. Should be much brighter than the 930, although I'm not sure the outdoor brightness boost kicked in for gsm arena's 930 measurement: Nokia Lumia 930 review: Iconic once again - page 3 - GSMArena.com

I can confirm that the One M8 is easily readable outdoors. I have heard that the 930 is fine outdoors too though, so probably either is fine. Both will be a lot better than the 8X.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I picked one up yesterday, coming from an 1020 on ATT. I have two weeks to play with the HTC till I have to make the big switch. After educating the Verizon guy about windows phone and the HTC launch, he was able to find me one. Let me just say that these people are clueless from my experience, in any case here are my thoughts. I like the feel, screen, and expandable storage. I love the dot case because I can launch Cortana with one finger swipe in the car. I have ford sync, launching Cortana turns on the Bluetooth system and allows me to send a text via voice threw my car. On my 1020 I would have to unlock, then hold down search to get her going. This is faster and safer and I can just swipe the phone as I drive. The phone is fast, and the battery seems good, but playing with it all day as a new phone its hard to tell. The speakers rock, and it feels nice in the hand. There is no way the camera will keep up with my 1020, but to be honest most of my pics are just fun shots with friends. If I plan to do real photography stuff I can always take my 1020 with me. I am going to make the full switch off ATT on Monday and keep the HTC.

Can you do the gestures for Cortana without the dot view case, or can only tap to turn on the phone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte