Do you have the M8 for WP tell us what you think!

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah defaults to the HTC camera. But who has room up there for the camera anyway? Four possibilities , the default camera wouldn't be my choice to put there. I prefer a quick on screen button tile, but to each their own. Lots of options anyway.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah defaults to the HTC camera. But who has room up there for the camera anyway? Four possibilities , the default camera wouldn't be my choice to put there. I prefer a quick on screen button tile, but to each their own. Lots of options anyway.

I thought 5 inch screens get five options? Or only the 1520 gets that?

microhaxo#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Pro shot does not work 100% correctly with the htc one m8. I have been in contact with the dev about some issues. AF lamp and flash will not properly work together and flash is not firing fully so the image is poorly lit.

Daytime shots work great, but anything at night and its not going to work.

Also im not the only one with issues with the htc camera app. Check the store reviews.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
After a few days with the phone, I am amazed at how long the battery lasts (looking straight at you Lumia Icon w/ 8.1 sitting on my desk). I had 55% today when I left work, which is about double the best I got with my Icon.

Yeah, this thing is a wonder for battery. 12 hours with heavy to moderate use, playing some music, web surfing, email, texting and it was at 55%. When it's idle and doing background tasks and alerting me, the battery gauge rarely declines.

On top of that, the phone is the best sounding phone ever. It's not even close. It's not like proper speakers, but it's not tinny or embarrassing when you want to listen to something or share music, video, or something else with sound. Sounds great with Netflix or Youtube, but Xbox Music sounds quite good on it too. Just sit it on the desk and let it play.

To go a step beyond, the construction is the best I've ever seen in a phone. It's a shame people are Samsung sheep, even on the Android side. My brother has a One M8 for Android. It's not even close. Best phone for Android or Windows Phone. Best built and designed smartphone ever. HTC really deserves to sell millions upon millions of these for what a tremendous job they did. Holding one of these compared to a S5 makes you want to laugh at Samsung, but they're marketing has put them in the position to pass mediocre tech onto people.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Lots of bugs.
? If you take a photo and immediately try to look at the result, it force closes. Waiting 3 seconds before viewing prevents the crash.
? if you take a photo and view it (waiting 3 seconds to prevent crash) and you delete it. After confirming you want to delete it, often the image goes away, you are shown a black screen with the ability to delete, share or edit, the image is gone so clicking any of those options crashes the app.
? af and ev lock occurs when you tap to focus but hold your finger on the spot. Normally a good behavior but it doesn't work at all. It actually breaks af completely. After doing so you are unable to re focus on anything unless you completely close the app and re open. There is no way to unlock af and ev lock once you enable it.

Just to name a few.

Having none of those issues except the Autofocus one, but I'd never tap and hold it. You also don't have to restart the app to get out of that, but can go to settings and tap "Reset to Default". I agree, there should be an easier way to get out of it.

Luis_Oliveira

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
It's kind off-topic, but..
Just a simple question: What is the name that shows on the "about" session under settings menu? Could anyone post a screenshot of this menu?
I'm trying to do a little experiment with my Ativ S (download HTC exclusive apps).
Thanks!

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Getting pretty spoiled by the M8's battery life. Better than I had hoped.

I agree. I'm charging once over two days now. Way better than I expected. HTC needs to point this out if they ever do commercials for the WP. So far, I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I agree. I'm charging once over two days now. Way better than I expected. HTC needs to point this out if they ever do commercials for the WP. So far, I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

I pulled 41 hours off the charger before it died last night, and 33 of those were on LTE.

I can't complain.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
So having only Android phones for the last four years, and watching Android bloat, bloat more, suffer constant battery drains when google services hang, and the increasing amount of security flaws showing up, I started wandering.

I am a .NET developer and it was a no brainer to get Windows Phone, but I always disliked the hardware options that Nokia offered, except the Icon. By the time I noticed the Icon, it had been out for a while, and it had no micro sd support which bothered me. Then the M8 came along and it answered every one of my concerns. I always liked the m8 build quality, but didn't want Android again, especially since I had a Note 3. The 801 isn't much of an upgrade to the s800.

I am so glad I made the switch. There is no jank, anywhere. It is amazing how you can get used to jank to the point of not seeing it in Android, but its always present somewhere. I've only found jank if the live lockscreen beta is installed. I assume once its final, that will be dealt with, because there is no part of it that even comes close to challenging the hardware in this device. The battery life is amazing, easily trumping my Note 3 with the same usage, yet a smaller battery. Build quality is great, speakers are nice and loud. I've not had any stability issues so far in my 7 days of owning it.

So many pros, but a few cons.

1. BT is hit and miss in my car. Sometimes it will activate the phone and dial, sometimes it will act like it, but never does. I think this may have to do with the exchange policy on my phone. My Note 3 never had this issue, but Cortana wwill actually use my BT to send and receive SMS, so its a decent tradeoff.

2. I am concerned about slow updates from Verizon. I am aware of the Developer program and I have unlocked and registered my device. However, if it runs into the fiasco like the HTC 8x and Ativ did, thats bad. This makes me seriously consider returning it.

3. App store is bad, really bad. There are few quality apps, and many, many bogus apps. I can work around this by writing my own, but it cheapens the experience to find apps like Equalizer, which is an app that...shows images of Equalizer settings. If I was MS, I'd nuke it and its ilk from orbit, because that is embarrassing when trying to entice developers to your platform.

4. Mobile IE is terrible. I can live with it though because for what I do in a browser, I can ignore it for the most part.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Current using Nokia Lumia925. On T-MO I'm hitting the Microsoft store in Salem NH tomorrow, I've been reading the forum's on the m8 I'm liking very much what I'm reading . However I'm also an ex HTC HD7 user. Enough said, even if I like it in my hand the HTC nonsupport is still rather fresh in my head. Sould I give them one more chance with the m8? I'll learn that out tomorrow. But I do welcome that HTC has put out a high end device that will not be so dam exclusive.

azoller1

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Just picked mine up today, way smoother than any android device I have owned, the store will be my only drawback, well I have 2 weeks to decide of to keep it or go to the android version

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
So having only Android phones for the last four years, and watching Android bloat, bloat more, suffer constant battery drains when google services hang, and the increasing amount of security flaws showing up, I started wandering.

I am a .NET developer and it was a no brainer to get Windows Phone, but I always disliked the hardware options that Nokia offered, except the Icon. By the time I noticed the Icon, it had been out for a while, and it had no micro sd support which bothered me. Then the M8 came along and it answered every one of my concerns. I always liked the m8 build quality, but didn't want Android again, especially since I had a Note 3. The 801 isn't much of an upgrade to the s800.

I am so glad I made the switch. There is no jank, anywhere. It is amazing how you can get used to jank to the point of not seeing it in Android, but its always present somewhere. I've only found jank if the live lockscreen beta is installed. I assume once its final, that will be dealt with, because there is no part of it that even comes close to challenging the hardware in this device. The battery life is amazing, easily trumping my Note 3 with the same usage, yet a smaller battery. Build quality is great, speakers are nice and loud. I've not had any stability issues so far in my 7 days of owning it.

So many pros, but a few cons.

1. BT is hit and miss in my car. Sometimes it will activate the phone and dial, sometimes it will act like it, but never does. I think this may have to do with the exchange policy on my phone. My Note 3 never had this issue, but Cortana wwill actually use my BT to send and receive SMS, so its a decent tradeoff.

2. I am concerned about slow updates from Verizon. I am aware of the Developer program and I have unlocked and registered my device. However, if it runs into the fiasco like the HTC 8x and Ativ did, thats bad. This makes me seriously consider returning it.

3. App store is bad, really bad. There are few quality apps, and many, many bogus apps. I can work around this by writing my own, but it cheapens the experience to find apps like Equalizer, which is an app that...shows images of Equalizer settings. If I was MS, I'd nuke it and its ilk from orbit, because that is embarrassing when trying to entice developers to your platform.

4. Mobile IE is terrible. I can live with it though because for what I do in a browser, I can ignore it for the most part.

What is wrong with ie? On the desktop I understand but on rt and the phone, it isn't bad at all.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
What is wrong with ie? On the desktop I understand but on rt and the phone, it isn't bad at all.

Whats wrong with it? The shorter list would be whats not wrong with it.

It renders quite a few sites like garbage, has very few options, is clunky to use and very slow. In that these same sites work fine on mobile firefox and webkit browsers, please don't give me the "they aren't web standards compliant then" spiel. I've run across forums that won't let you interact correctly, but work fine with any webkit browser (and desktop IE, heh). IE mobile also likes to enforce a "touch friendly" interface on some sites as well and if they aren't built for it, it just zooms them in all to hell.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Bought One earlier today slipped my T-mobile sim in and everything worked fine until I tried sending a pic to my girlfriend. I received a msg telling me that the service was not available and to contact my service provider. upon a little investigating I discovered that there is no field under APN settings for MMS. Contacted T-mobile as well as HTC concerning the matter but neither could solve the mystery. Definitly a Verizon sabotage.
Have you used access point? is that Nokia only system app. HTC has connection setting app if I remember correctly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786