Do you have the M8 for WP tell us what you think!

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Just got the M8 WP last night when I switched for Verizon. Was hoping for an Icon, but can't really find those in stores these days. Still, the M8 seems to be a great phone so far. I got the Dot View case, but already returned that as it refused to close and just added a whole bunch of unnecessary bulk to the phone.
Have a clear case on order already.

zrob7

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Switched from my Icon (Verizon) to the M8 (ATT) yesterday mostly because of Verizon lack of support for Windows Phones. Very happy with the HTC One and honestly....I think it is better then the Icon. I always buy flip covers for my phones and went with the Stil Gut Leather Flip Case which you can get on Amazon. Setup was very easy and all is well again !

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Glad to see this thread is still going! Actually bought mine used off of Ebay, but with a Square Trade warranty. Didn't want to pay AT&T over $600 for a phone.
I’ve only been using my HTC One M8W (windows) for a week now. Spent the past year using an AT&T Tilt 2, and spent a couple months tinkering with a torn up AT&T Titan II. Enjoyed WM6.5, but wanted to look at WP, hence the Titan II. Enjoyed it a while then compared various AT&T WP offerings and settled on the HTC One. Why? I wanted a flagship, ‘cuz I hang on to phones for so long (typically over 2 years when I like them). I wanted an sd card slot, which the Titan II and some other offerings didn’t have. It also had to be upgradeable to WP10. The HTC One M8 is also available with android, so I expected a decent amount of available accessories. AT&T locked was fine, as I get good service/reception with them. Had to have a camera LED for flashlight use, and front and back cameras. Megapixels wasn’t a huge concern, as I use a genuine camera when I want good pictures.

- The ability to pick apps that appear in the drop down notifications.
- The ability to select apps that provide status on the lock screen
- Having weather on the lock screen.
- WP8’s adjustability and customization of home screen and live tiles.
- Good sound from speakers. I use it to play music at work and in the garage.
- The fact there aren’t 18 million apps available. I don’t like overwhelming choice…I just want something that works.
- MS Office included on the phone. This is a work device almost as much as it is a phone.
- Phone size is great; slightly bigger than the Titan II, which was a good fit in my hand.
- Like WP8’s option to use a picture for background on the home screen.
- Just found that you can hold your finger on the left arrow and get a slidable view of all the open apps.

DISLIKES:
- I keep hitting the power button and volume up button, taking screen shot pix when I don’t want to.
- Would like the volume to get louder at max. Find it hard to hear text msg alerts and phone calls (vibrate always on).
- All the AT&T bloatware
- The HTC bloatware (could have at least offered a flashlight)
- Office has limited functionality. Can’t adequately do Excel cell formatting.
- Syncing to the computer is clunky. Zune doesn’t work; Windows Phone app on the Mac is okay, but I have heartburn with the fact it only syncs media, calendar and contacts; no Office stuff.

Still experimenting with apps and the phone and Cortana. So far, a good phone. Looking forward to learning more!

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine now for just over 6 months. I'm coming from a L925 on T-MO. The device is great I love the size I love having 32mb instead of 16. Speakers are great. Its fast . The camera sucks. Its the one thing I miss on this device. Personally I think WP cameras should be the same on all devices. Battery life on the M8 hands down blows away the 925. I had made a statement when I had the HTC HD7 that I would never again buy another HTC device. I broke that promises because I did not want a low end 8mb device and it is apparent that Microsoft isn't into building high end devices.so I gave HTC one more shot. With the exception of the camera this device has been outstanding. One other thing that drives me nuts is the power adaptor being on the bottom of the device.I'm hoping that Microsoft puts out a high end lumia or HTC brings over the M9 to Windows Phone.because I'm not happy with low end kids toys with people telling me that 8 Mb is enough because we get one drive no its just means more work. It's not the OS its the devices or lack of that would make me leave WP.
:

DMCarver

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Sad day.... dropped my Icon onto the pavement and shattered the screen. Verizon isn't selling them any longer so my best choice is the HTC M8. I will miss my camera. Going to get one today. Couldn't think of going back to Android or iPhone.

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 928 died suddenly. The Microsoft Store technician couldn't boot it up nor soft/hard reset it. Suspect the battery or something else is fried. So I got the HTC One M8 as a replacement and so far it's nice.

-Hardware is amazing. Definitely beats the plastic 928.
-Front facing speakers are awesome. Not sure how I tolerated the back facing one on my 928.
-Processor is fast! Snapdragon 801 and 2gb memory. Oh, and there's a slot for external memory.
-Screen is very high res and nice but I don't like how it's lowest brightness is still too bright for my eyes at night. Windows needs a brightness slider like iOS.
-Front facing camera is great. Perfect for those who love selfies.
-Back camera is meh....4mp main camera?? Huge downgrade from my Nokia but at least it's fast! Lumia Camera took forever to boot.
-Love that it has double tap to wake AND double tap to lock.
-Not liking the off center USB port. Would prefer the power button to be on the side instead of on top considering how tall this device is. No physical camera button :(
-Occasionally the screen would freeze or shut off. Not sure if it has to do with the sensitivity as I feel like the screen registers inputs way easier than my old 928.

I definitely miss the glance screen, wireless charging, better camera, auto brightness (superior on Lumias), physical capacitive buttons, camera button....basically the little touches that Nokia put on their phones but overall, HTC has made a great phone. Plus Windows runs amazingly on Snapdragon 801. Cannot wait when Microsoft releases their next flagship!

Lost 2 Shirts

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 928 died suddenly. The Microsoft Store technician couldn't boot it up nor soft/hard reset it. Suspect the battery or something else is fried. So I got the HTC One M8 as a replacement and so far it's nice.

-Hardware is amazing. Definitely beats the plastic 928.
-Front facing speakers are awesome. Not sure how I tolerated the back facing one on my 928.
-Processor is fast! Snapdragon 801 and 2gb memory. Oh, and there's a slot for external memory.
-Screen is very high res and nice but I don't like how it's lowest brightness is still too bright for my eyes at night. Windows needs a brightness slider like iOS.
-Front facing camera is great. Perfect for those who love selfies.
-Back camera is meh....4mp main camera?? Huge downgrade from my Nokia but at least it's fast! Lumia Camera took forever to boot.
-Love that it has double tap to wake AND double tap to lock.
-Not liking the off center USB port. Would prefer the power button to be on the side instead of on top considering how tall this device is. No physical camera button :(
-Occasionally the screen would freeze or shut off. Not sure if it has to do with the sensitivity as I feel like the screen registers inputs way easier than my old 928.

I definitely miss the glance screen, wireless charging, better camera, auto brightness (superior on Lumias), physical capacitive buttons, camera button....basically the little touches that Nokia put on their phones but overall, HTC has made a great phone. Plus Windows runs amazingly on Snapdragon 801. Cannot wait when Microsoft releases their next flagship!

How do you double tap to unlock as I thought it was only double tap to lock?

lrach

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I broke my 1520 and insurance is sending me a HTC one, bummed that i couldn't get a 1520 end of life i guess, is the One a worthy replacement???

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I broke my 1520 and insurance is sending me a HTC one, bummed that i couldn't get a 1520 end of life i guess, is the One a worthy replacement???

The key features you will miss are the auto-brightness (HTC is terrible with this), pureview camera, wireless charging, power button on the side, physical camera button, glance.

However, the screen is amazing and the device itself is quite slick and thin (I recommend a case if you're clumsy) compared to the blockiness of the older Lumias. This is a great phone replacement that will hold you over until we see a worthy Microsoft Lumia Flagship come out.

Coming from a Lumia 928 (which had a Snapdragon S4), this phone was a worthy replacement just for speed alone.

rtwright68

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Technology and devices are like my personal crack cocaine. My phone history has included Android devices, iPhones, a Lumia Icon for a period of time, iPhone6 and now a just-ordered HTC One M8 for Windows. Unfortunately, Verizon sucks when it comes to in-stock options and I had to order it from their web site.

I am excited to get back into Windows Phone OS after a brief stint with an Icon last year. In my job as an I.T. Manager I have Windows, Mac, an iPad and an Android tablet. Bored to death with an iPhone, I don't use a huge amount of apps. Glad to see that the app situation has become slightly better to cover my must have apps on the phone side of things.

I still have my iPad for any other apps that I never used on the iPhone anyways. Love the expandability and I truly missed the live tiles and customization. Can't wait to get my phone (Friday can't come soon enough)!

Helder Costa1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
i have just ordered an M8 unlocked AT&T, i live in Portugal so i hope it works ok in here... i have had many wp but never an M8 so i can?t wait to get my hands on it. it is a beautiful machine indeed.

DebjPeck

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm so disappointed with my HTC ONE Windows Phone. I do all my business and personal work off my phone & had no idea the apps that are available on Androids weren't that easy to find, alot aren't even free and most are in beta. Hey Cortana isn't available, there's alot missing on this phone. I wish I would have gotten the M8 Android honestly.

dlowe23

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I am strongly considering this device. Can anyone tell me if this phone can get Barnes &Noble's Nook app? My current phone (LG Lancet) is unable to do so. Thanks for your time!

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
DebjPeck, Cortana is indeed available! You may need to update to WP 8.1. I am assuming that is why you don't have Cortana. I assure you the phone is so much nicer with 8.1. The app store is not as stocked as Android, though. Most apps are free, though. I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I've owned the HTC One M8 since late January 2015. IMO, it is a massive disappointment compared to the Nokia Lumia 928, and (grading on a curve) even the HTC Trophy. I really, really dislike the weak antenna (something that was also an issue with the Trophy) and the fact that sometimes I'll lose connectivity and need to reboot the device. (Going into airplane mode usually doesn't do the trick.) The camera is also terrible, a major step down from the Lumia 928. (To be fair, I knew the camera would be a downgrade, but I didn't think it would be as big a downgrade.)

It's too bad no manufacturers were able to combine the insides of Nokia pocket computers with the outsides of HTC and other Windows Phone manufacturers' pocket computers. (IMO, Nokia's Windows Phones have all been unappealing aesthetically, with some of them flat-out ugly.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss