No Notification LED...WHY ?

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Why does the new htc one m8 for windows not have a notification LED ?
The Android version has one and WP8.1 Update 1 supports them as far as i know ?

What were they thinking ?
That was a basic feature even back in the symbian days, every landline phone has such a led today, really do they think we all look every 5 minutes on our phone ?
I did not understand why the nokia lumia dont have them (and they screwed up completly with the 930 because that has no glance either) but now htc m8, i though its the same phone as the android version so why no notification led ?

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
That was a basic feature even back in the symbian days

Really? In all the years of having mobile phones from different manufacturers I've NEVER had an LED on them. Only ever seen an LED on Blackberry and newer Androids. Can you provide proof?

every landline phone has such a led today

What you meant to say was "Every landline cordless phone or basestation has and LED or LCD display. That is completely different to having an LED.

I did not understand why the nokia lumia dont have them

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of mobile phones models don't have a notification LED. Feel free to produce links etc that prove me wrong.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Yeah its a basic feature.
It's a important feature
It's especially important for people who use their phone for business

What's the problem of ms and the oem's ?
Do they think we are all 15 year old and look every 10sec on our phone ?

Do they think it's funny to spent 600$ in a "high end" phone and still miss important calls and emails ?

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Set the audible notification alerts. Don't have to look at the phone to get notified.
You would still have to Look at your phone for an LED alert.

alextrela

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Really? In all the years of having mobile phones from different manufacturers I've NEVER had an LED on them. Only ever seen an LED on Blackberry and newer Androids. Can you provide proof?

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of mobile phones models don't have a notification LED. Feel free to produce links etc that prove me wrong.

Will most of the android have led notifications just galaxy from Samsung or xperia line of Sony just like most of the phone from other OEM like HTC or LG too.
Also the android m8 has it, so wy not the wp version.
When I first bought my first wp device the 920 I was negative surprise not having led notification and I was hoping that will eventually have that useful element on 930 but no.
I don't really understand why since both m8 or 930 don't have glance.

MS should fix that.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
The One M8 for Windows does have a notification LED. The lamp indicates if it's plugged in or charging. So it's there to be used and it was used on WP7. My Trophy had one. If the OS supports it, it will only require activating it. It may just be something they didn't activate immediately because they were focused on getting the Dot View case or the camera working properly, so a firmware update may turn it on and allow you to customize it in Settings. The One M8 has a lot of settings options the Nokia doesn't have, so it could be buried in there and not turned on automatically, but the LED light is definitely there.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
The One M8 for Windows does have a notification LED. The lamp indicates if it's plugged in or charging. So it's there to be used and it was used on WP7. My Trophy had one. If the OS supports it, it will only require activating it. It may just be something they didn't activate immediately because they were focused on getting the Dot View case or the camera working properly, so a firmware update may turn it on and allow you to customize it in Settings. The One M8 has a lot of settings options the Nokia doesn't have, so it could be buried in there and not turned on automatically, but the LED light is definitely there.

its there we know but i feel its an OS issue maybe your Right and a firmware update is needed but most likely it uses the same bootloader and firmware the android model uses cuz im positive it can be flashed to android and then back to windows again.. so could be a firmware issue idk

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Back in the '90s, Nokia and Siemens were the only major phone manufacturers that didn't have a notification LED. Although back then it was called a "service light" because it started out as a constantly blinking light to let you know you were within network coverage. It then evolved into a notification LED in the '00s once we had more things to actually be notified of. Nokia added it to some Symbian devices much later.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
2.9: Notification
Phone bring-up > Windows Phone 8.1 Chassis Requirements Specification > 2: Components

July 22, 2014

Applies to: Windows Phone hardware development

Consistent notification will help keep the phone experience as simple to understand as possible and ensure a common Windows Phone user notification experience.
2.9.1 NLEDs (optional)

The phone may optionally include notification LEDs (NLEDs).
2.9.2 Vibration

The phone shall include a vibration mechanism such as a vibration motor, vibration speaker, or haptics transducer controllable by the Windows Phone OS.
https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-US/OEM/docs/Phone_Bring-Up/2.9__Notification

Where are the notification LEDs ?!
Can someone use twitter (i dont use it) to contact that belifor guy, seems the only way today to get a answer since a email to the support will only result in nothing...

mwdavis84

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

You're kidding, right? Notification LEDs are very common. With the exception of the original Samsung Galaxy S, every Android phone I've owned has had an LED. Here is my list:

Android
HTC T-Mobile G1 - Yes
Motorola Droid - Yes (2, in fact, one for charging, one for notifications)
HTC T-Mobile G2 - Yes
Samsung Vibrant - No
Samsung Galaxy S4 - Yes
HTC One - Yes
HTC One Mini - Yes
Sony Z1 Compact - Yes
Nexus 7 - Yes

Windows Phone
HTC Dash - Yes
HTC HD2 - Yes
Dell Venue Pro - No
Samsung Focus - No
Nokia Lumia 800 - No
Nokia Lumia 900 - No
Nokia Lumia 920 - No
HTC One M8 - Yes (only charging)

BlackBerry
Blackberry Curve 8930 - Yes
Blackberry Bold 9900 - Yes
Blackberry Z10 - Yes
Blackberry Q10 - Yes

Palm
Palm Pre - Yes

Apple
Apple iPhone - No
Apple iPhone 3G - No

Symbian
Nokia N95 - Yes (I think...it's been awhile)

This looks like one of those cases where Microsoft said "Hey! Look! Apple doesn't have one of those, and their device is really successful, so we don't need it either!" Everyone else has one, and for a reason. It's very useful. Why do you think Nokia added Glance to their devices? People like knowing if they have notifications without touching / picking up their phone.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
You're kidding, right? Notification LEDs are very common. With the exception of the original Samsung Galaxy S, every Android phone I've owned has had an LED. Here is my list:

Android
HTC T-Mobile G1 - Yes
Motorola Droid - Yes (2, in fact, one for charging, one for notifications)
HTC T-Mobile G2 - Yes
Samsung Vibrant - No
Samsung Galaxy S4 - Yes
HTC One - Yes
HTC One Mini - Yes
Sony Z1 Compact - Yes
Nexus 7 - Yes

Windows Phone
HTC Dash - Yes
HTC HD2 - Yes
Dell Venue Pro - No
Samsung Focus - No
Nokia Lumia 800 - No
Nokia Lumia 900 - No
Nokia Lumia 920 - No
HTC One M8 - Yes (only charging)

BlackBerry
Blackberry Curve 8930 - Yes
Blackberry Bold 9900 - Yes
Blackberry Z10 - Yes
Blackberry Q10 - Yes

Palm
Palm Pre - Yes

Apple
Apple iPhone - No
Apple iPhone 3G - No

Symbian
Nokia N95 - Yes (I think...it's been awhile)

This looks like one of those cases where Microsoft said "Hey! Look! Apple doesn't have one of those, and their device is really successful, so we don't need it either!" Everyone else has one, and for a reason. It's very useful. Why do you think Nokia added Glance to their devices? People like knowing if they have notifications without touching / picking up their phone.
One thing about the iPhone is that there is a setting to use the camera flash for notifications. It's not like a true notification LED that keeps blinking, but it will go off when you receive an alert.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6